July 28, 2014 | 2158 users online

Scrubs - Sugar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2008 2:35:00 PM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I read in a magazine that Carmindy (of What Not to Wear fame) keeps a bowl of sugar in her bathroom and when she needs a scrub she scoops up a handful of sugar and mixes it with her shower gel and voila - instant exfoliation! I tried it and absolutely love it. I can't imagine how much $$$ I've spent over the years on very pricey sugar & salt scrubs only to have this very cheap fantastic scrub sitting on my kitchen counter all this time! Sugar is also kinder to your pipes than sea salt and will dissolve completely in your sewer system. It leaves your skin amazingly soft!! I use it with my normal shower gel - generally Aveeno - and it is just the most fabulous scrub! I urge EVERYONE to run out & get a nice little plastic lidded tub (Gladware works great but isn't pretty) and fill it full of sugar and keep it in your shower!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2008 5:47:00 PM More reviews by bsteves06

I can't believe I ever paid a lot of money for a scrub! I take some packets from work, or restaurants lol. I use about 3 or 4 in the shower on my body. IPut my bodywash on first, then mix the sugar in. I use about a third of a packet on my face and I have a teeny tiny clip that I use to save the rest of the packet. I'm so cheap lol.

I've also read that scrubs with microbeads can harm the environmnet. Something about the beads being too small to filter out but small enough to pass through the gills o fish and hurt them Have no idea if true or not, but why not use sugar?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2008 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Laurel15

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

A friend tipped me off to using sugar and baby oil as a body scrub. It's the best! I exfoliate my body with this about once a week after a shower, and it makes your skin feel luxurious. Now I'm experimenting with sugar and oil scrubs for my face, and with the smoothness and glow it gives me, I'm realizing I'll never have to buy a pre-made exfoliator again. Sugar really is superior! Try it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2008 5:51:00 AM More reviews by desertrose08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

THANK YOU MUA for introducing me to sugar exfoliations! I've spent hundreds of dollars on scrubs that either had too many beads or too few or too harsh or too gentle and I never knew I had the best scrub in the world in my kitchen pantry! I do this once a week by applying cetaphil to my face and putting regular old white sugar in one hand and then using my other hand to take the sugar and apply it to my face and scrub away. You have to work fast though because as soon as the sugar's on your face, it starts dissolving! The only annoying thing that used to bug me was how the sugar sometimes got to my hairline and made it sticky but if you put on a shower cap, that problem is eliminated. The first time I did this I noticed a difference immediately and my mom did too and she asked me what cleanser I'd been because my face was so bright and glowy :D

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2008 1:59:00 AM More reviews by my_vanity_is_a_mess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i love using this as a lip exfoliator especially! works just as well as expensive products, but without all the weird ingredients. Best of all it doesn't irritate my eyes, like when i accidently get one of the grains in my eyes from my other scrubs (st ives) it stings like all hell. I'll have to try brown sugar next!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2008 12:48:00 AM More reviews by roroluca

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use this as a scrub on my face with 1.5 T. extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 c. sugar and 1 T. honey. After using it once, my face was smooth as a baby's bottom and it lasts for hours after! My face was glowing like the sun which is something I don't really need but it's not bad either. This scrub would be GREAT for someone with dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2008 8:30:00 PM More reviews by ManAndWoman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is what I do for a great soft feel:
I mix half a cup of olive oil, a few tablespoons of honey, and half a cup of sugar into a bowl. I steam my body in the shower for a while and then start scrubbing. Do this before and after shaving, or before you hop into bed with that lucky, special guy. He'll be loving it!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2008 11:22:00 AM More reviews by aychan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've used sugar as a scrub before because apparently it helps get rid of acne and acne scars. anyways, i dont think it actually did much for me... but then again thats just me. it does leave your skin smooth... but honestly, im a very messy person when it comes to face washing... so using sugar isn't the best idea. every time i use it everything gets sticky... and worst of all, it attracts bugs and ants... so yah, i dont use it as a scrub anymore. there are other cheap scrubs out there such as the apricot scrub that i would rather use.... or even asprin. and no shat i will repurchase.. hello.... its sugar! hahaha anyways didnt mean to be a party pooper, just wanted to share my experience =)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 9:50:00 AM More reviews by ParisFan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Okay, so everybody knows that sugar makes THE best scrub. Brown sugar, white sugar, castor sugar, whatever. When feeling particlarly impoverished, I use this instead of buying a commercial product. (Which is, admittedly, easier that scrabbling around the kitchen!) Making your own products is fun though, and some of my most successful home-spa's have featured sugar, canola or olive oil, and honey. Sometimes I add a dollop of cream, or natural yoghurt for extra moisturisation, but mostly I just put a handful of sugar in a tupperware and take it into the shower to mix with either my showergel or my monoi or cocoa-butter oil, or Fenjal bubble bath, which has an extremely luxurious scent. When I'm in a fun mood, then I use my niece's 'Miss Shipmate" bubble bath for a bubblegum fragranced scrub. I also have a penchant for mixing it with olive oil and geranium or sandalwood aromatherapy oils. Fantastic stuff!
I would never use sugar on my face though, preferring to use salt which is softer, or caster sugar, when we have it in the house. I mix it with my usual cleanser and rinse off with clear water.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2008 4:55:00 PM More reviews by ef604

I LOVE SUGAR!!!!! The best scrub ever!!! I mix it with honey and use it all over my body in the shower. My skin is amazingly smooth afterwards. I will try adding some essential oils to it next time. In my opinion, it works better than some of the higher end scrubs I've tried.