MAC Matte - Kinda Sexy

4.2

on 2/3/2008 3:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

this is a great MLBB lipstick. it's a pinkish nude, which is what i have been looking for. it's matte, which i love because you can't feel it on you and it's kiss-proof. however, my only gripe about it is its staying power, or lack of. i find myself reapplying a few times a day.. because it's matte, it does dry my lips. however, i feel that MAC has better colors and formulas out there.

on 1/14/2008 9:36:00 PM

Kinda Sexy is a fairly neutral dusty pink with some beige to tone it down. It has a creamy matte texture that doesn't look Sahara-dry and is fine over a layer of lip balm. I have to agree with everyone that this kind of texture and finish is actually quite flattering and more grown-up than glossy lips, which can actually emphasize how small your lips are sometimes. For some reason, Kinda Sexy makes me feel extra pouty and ridiculous :) Overall, I like this very much and hope it'll never be discontinued--It's sophisticated, wearable and versatile. Definite repurchase.

P.S. If you're looking for a slightly warmer-toned (peachy-nude rather than pinky-nude) version of this, try Revlon's Super Lustrous in Almost Nude. Another perfect, subtle, non-dead MLBB.

on 1/5/2008 9:35:00 AM

I agree with previous reviewers who describe this as a great light dusty pink colour. I thought I was going to look like a zombie when I first put it on, as I usually do with most light neutrals, but I was really surprised at how flattering it was. I think it must be that there is none of that muddy beige colour in it that can make me look very washed out and often corpse-like! The light muted petal pink colour looked great and natural, but noticeable. I can see myself wearing this all the time. It gives my face a lift, my lips look fuller and I can wear any other colour of makeup or clothes with it. This is matte, so as mentioned in other reviews, it can be drying. I put balm on first, then layer it whilst blotting and then another layer of balm on top. Although there will be lipstick marks on cups, it still has remarkable staying power regardless. If you've ever had bad experiences with light neutrals in the past, I would definitely recommend that you give this a try, as you may pleasantly surprise yourself!

Edit 9/27/10 my skin has got paler (and drier) and this lipstick doesn't work as well for me as it once did.

on 1/4/2008 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I think ive finally found the perfect nude color that doesnt look like concealer on the lips. ive tried true nude colors like velvet teddy, myth, honeylove, and blankety and they all turned my lips white or gray. im so glad i found this lipstick because it is a nude technically but it has some color so it looks very flattering unlike most nude colors. its more of a peach than a pink the description on the website isnt very accurate. its a neutral peachy pink color thats perfect with any complexion and any color eyeshadow. it would look really nice with a smokey eye which is what i was searching for.

This is a light/medium pinky beige nudeish color with some peach tones to it. Pretty but I wish it was just a half shade lighter.

on 11/8/2007 11:33:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I am neutral toned, pale, with medium-pigmented lips, blonde highlighted hair, brown eyes. This is by far my favourite lipstick ever. I've had it for two weeks and have worn it every single day. I would describe the colour as a light dusty pink/peachy shade. No brown. With my colouring, it looks completely natural. It doesn't wash me out, doesn't give the concealer look, and yet is not bright and doesn't jump off my face. I wear a clear lip balm underneath as the finish is matte and can by drying. I usually wear lustres so had to get used to that. After a few days of wear, I had no problems whatsoever. This lipstick lasts through my coffee and morning snacks. I reapply after lunch, and it's still there when I get home from work hours later! As a further reference, my favourite lipstick until now was Hug Me. Others in my arsenal include Jubilee, Blankety, Curtsy, Sweetie, Mellow Flame, NARS Barbarella.

on 10/31/2007 5:07:00 AM

I am a MAC NC35 with pigmented lips, so this 'nude' looks pinker on me than it does on my friends with paler lips. It is a shade lighter than my own lip colour so it does give a nice nude pink effect. I was given this by the SA when Honeylove made me look like i was wearing concealor on my lips. I think Kinda Sexy is a foolproof shade for the nude pink loo for skintones in my range. Its still warm enough to lend you a healthy look. It might be too pink for paler skintones, i think. But then again, too pink, less pink, pale or too strong colours is really a subjective matter between individuals.

Its matte texture can be drying, but if you apply lipbalm prior to application, the lipstick is actually a creamy matte. Because of that, the colour payoff is wonderful. You can swipe it on, and it totally covers your natural lip colour. I prefer to dab it on moist lips since it lends a pretty natural nude pink look. I prefer to put it on this way.

on 10/10/2007 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I wanted this too look good on me- I love the matte lipsticks. Just not my color but had to review to say NOT to be afraid of the finish and texture. This is a corally pink that was just a little too... warm? orange? for my skintone, so I swapped it away to someone who will hopefully love it as much as I hoped to.

on 10/1/2007 4:26:00 PM

I'd seen this lippie several times at the MAC store/counter and always reached for it but was always afraid to get it because of the matte finish. Well, yesterday, I decided to be brave and tried it on, and then ended up getting it.

One thing I do have to say about the matte lippies is that they are very long-lasting! ALLURE mag was right when they rated this under "long-lasting" lippies in their best of beauty issue. This is very pigmented, and I have to wipe it off to get it off of my lip. That being said, it IS drying to the lips, and I have to use a light coat of balm underneath.

The color is really pretty -- sort of a light peach with pink undertones, and, as other reviewers have mentioned, despite the fact that it is matte, does make the lips look fuller. It gives a nice light-lip look without making you look dead. It does (at least on me) have a tendency to look slightly too warm (ie. coral-y) on me in certain lighting, though.

Overall, I do like it, and if I run out, I will repurchase. continued >>

Kinda Sexy is one of my favorite nude pink lipsticks from the MAC line and from other make up lines. I so love this color - a neutral-toned, dusty/muted light pink with hints of rose and/or peach depending on the lighting and the natural pigment of your lips. The matte texture adds to the understated look; and yet, because of its lovely color, I have no fear of this lipstick ever washing me out ( a common problem I have with nude lipsticks, especially because I have light skin). For reference, I have pigmented lips, and my skintone is neutral to warm-toned, MAC NC 25-30).

Because it is matte, it is more on the dry side. However, this can easily be modified by priming your lips with lip balm before applying this lipstick! You can also apply lip gloss afterwards to give it a high-shine, pouty look.

This color is versatile - it is great for balancing a smokey eye but is also just as lovely when paired with natural eye make up. Kinda sexy is an appropriate name for this lipstick. It's definitely a throwback to the 60s when Ursula Andress reigned as a bombshell!

A definite holy grail and definite repurchase! I hope MAC never discontinues this lipstick!

Recommended for Medium Skin