MAC Matte - Kinda Sexy

4.2

on 3/29/2008 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Picked this one up at my local counter on Friday and contrary to what I've read on the boards, it's not being dc'ed, at least not anytime soon. :-) My counter had just gotten a new shipment in. I have 2 counters and 1 freestanding MAC store near me. I frequent them all for different reasons and it's not on any of their DC'ed products lists so everyone can breathe a sigh of relief. ;-)

The color is described as neutral pinky rose and it's the matte formula. I find this formula one of the more drying ones so I often use a bit of chapstick or clear gloss underneath the l/s. This is another winner for me by MAC. It's a light pinky-rose and I will probably wear this when I do very natural makeup looks or when I do a stronger eye or cheek. Flattering on my C3 complexion (golden/warm), 1.5 (shell) shell in Chanel T.I. , medium pigmented lips.

on 3/26/2008 5:25:00 PM

I love M.A.C.'s lipsticks in general and this is definitely NOT an exception. I just adore Kinda Sexy. My DH got it for me as a gift going off my wish list, and it was unexpected.
Usually matte formulas are too drying, but I've found if I really balm up my lips when I'm putting on my face, then put on KS when I leave the house, I get much better results. And those results? A pinkish coral hue that makes my full lips look fuller and softer. Great shade, would absolutely repurchase.

on 3/23/2008 2:50:00 AM

Love, love, love this colour! Just for the record...my favorite look is a 60's sex kitten type look...I wear black liquid liner and smokey eyes during the day and night, so this goes perfectly. I love how it makes my lips look full and pouty without looking like I'm wearing lipstick. I use it with MAC Spice lipliner and the effect is incredible! Had to laugh the other day when I told my fiance how much I loved my new lipstick and he said it didn't even look like I was wearing lipstick, but it looked good. Now he has this bright idea to market a "non-lipstick" to women called "Invisible"...ugh men just don't get it, do they? :)

on 2/3/2008 3:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

this is a great MLBB lipstick. it's a pinkish nude, which is what i have been looking for. it's matte, which i love because you can't feel it on you and it's kiss-proof. however, my only gripe about it is its staying power, or lack of. i find myself reapplying a few times a day.. because it's matte, it does dry my lips. however, i feel that MAC has better colors and formulas out there.

on 1/14/2008 9:36:00 PM

Kinda Sexy is a fairly neutral dusty pink with some beige to tone it down. It has a creamy matte texture that doesn't look Sahara-dry and is fine over a layer of lip balm. I have to agree with everyone that this kind of texture and finish is actually quite flattering and more grown-up than glossy lips, which can actually emphasize how small your lips are sometimes. For some reason, Kinda Sexy makes me feel extra pouty and ridiculous :) Overall, I like this very much and hope it'll never be discontinued--It's sophisticated, wearable and versatile. Definite repurchase.

P.S. If you're looking for a slightly warmer-toned (peachy-nude rather than pinky-nude) version of this, try Revlon's Super Lustrous in Almost Nude. Another perfect, subtle, non-dead MLBB.

on 1/5/2008 9:35:00 AM

I agree with previous reviewers who describe this as a great light dusty pink colour. I thought I was going to look like a zombie when I first put it on, as I usually do with most light neutrals, but I was really surprised at how flattering it was. I think it must be that there is none of that muddy beige colour in it that can make me look very washed out and often corpse-like! The light muted petal pink colour looked great and natural, but noticeable. I can see myself wearing this all the time. It gives my face a lift, my lips look fuller and I can wear any other colour of makeup or clothes with it. This is matte, so as mentioned in other reviews, it can be drying. I put balm on first, then layer it whilst blotting and then another layer of balm on top. Although there will be lipstick marks on cups, it still has remarkable staying power regardless. If you've ever had bad experiences with light neutrals in the past, I would definitely recommend that you give this a try, as you may pleasantly surprise yourself!

Edit 9/27/10 my skin has got paler (and drier) and this lipstick doesn't work as well for me as it once did.

on 1/4/2008 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I think ive finally found the perfect nude color that doesnt look like concealer on the lips. ive tried true nude colors like velvet teddy, myth, honeylove, and blankety and they all turned my lips white or gray. im so glad i found this lipstick because it is a nude technically but it has some color so it looks very flattering unlike most nude colors. its more of a peach than a pink the description on the website isnt very accurate. its a neutral peachy pink color thats perfect with any complexion and any color eyeshadow. it would look really nice with a smokey eye which is what i was searching for.

This is a light/medium pinky beige nudeish color with some peach tones to it. Pretty but I wish it was just a half shade lighter.

on 11/8/2007 11:33:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I am neutral toned, pale, with medium-pigmented lips, blonde highlighted hair, brown eyes. This is by far my favourite lipstick ever. I've had it for two weeks and have worn it every single day. I would describe the colour as a light dusty pink/peachy shade. No brown. With my colouring, it looks completely natural. It doesn't wash me out, doesn't give the concealer look, and yet is not bright and doesn't jump off my face. I wear a clear lip balm underneath as the finish is matte and can by drying. I usually wear lustres so had to get used to that. After a few days of wear, I had no problems whatsoever. This lipstick lasts through my coffee and morning snacks. I reapply after lunch, and it's still there when I get home from work hours later! As a further reference, my favourite lipstick until now was Hug Me. Others in my arsenal include Jubilee, Blankety, Curtsy, Sweetie, Mellow Flame, NARS Barbarella.

on 10/31/2007 5:07:00 AM

I am a MAC NC35 with pigmented lips, so this 'nude' looks pinker on me than it does on my friends with paler lips. It is a shade lighter than my own lip colour so it does give a nice nude pink effect. I was given this by the SA when Honeylove made me look like i was wearing concealor on my lips. I think Kinda Sexy is a foolproof shade for the nude pink loo for skintones in my range. Its still warm enough to lend you a healthy look. It might be too pink for paler skintones, i think. But then again, too pink, less pink, pale or too strong colours is really a subjective matter between individuals.

Its matte texture can be drying, but if you apply lipbalm prior to application, the lipstick is actually a creamy matte. Because of that, the colour payoff is wonderful. You can swipe it on, and it totally covers your natural lip colour. I prefer to dab it on moist lips since it lends a pretty natural nude pink look. I prefer to put it on this way.

Popular Lipsticks