October 21, 2014 | 2018 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2011 10:49:00 AM More reviews by Stelmata

Whenever I smelled this perfume in the magazine samples or spritzed it on one of those paper tester things I thought it smelled disgusting and so artificial and cloying that I couldn't understand why it was so "iconic" and timeless.
Then I decided to actually spray it on my wrist and see what happened. After a little while I kept getting a whiff of it and it was amazing. You really have to let it work with your body chemistry before you can judge the smell. It was still powerful, but lovely. And I'm only 25, so it's not like I'm an "old lady."
This is better than most of the modern perfumes that don't last and are so insipid they make everyone smell the same.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 4:15:00 PM More reviews by PINUPROCK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I really disliked this one, and with this one I include all chanel scents I really thought of them as very cloying and old........ but that was when I was younger
I really think that you have to grow up a bit to be able to enjoy this perfumes.... the complexity and uniqueness of them

this is not like the trendy celebrity tacky fragrance or the designer easy perfume wich is fruity and floral and common and targeted to everyone.
this is a scent that will endure forever and will never go out of style it is a staple of what a true woman should be and should smell....... I you dont like it grow up a bit mature your nose and come back to be captured by it forever, some of use will find this earlier while others will take more time in liking it.....

soft powdery and perfectly balanced.... yuuuummmmmmm!

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2011 2:15:00 AM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is one of those rare perfumes that absolutely wows me! I don't know alot about top notes and sillage etc. but this smells divine not too sweet but not bitter or sharp just beautiful! I think it smells a bit like coca cola :)
EDIT: while I absolutely LOVE this when it is first sprayed the dry down turns too chypre and powdery I hate to use this term but "like an old lady" (sorry it's just the description everyone understands).

rated 1 of 5 on 9/15/2011 7:08:00 AM More reviews by barbraella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

For such a so called iconic and sophisticated perfume i simply dont get it,i have smelt this a few times and to me it smells like chemicals and soap,maybe on some women it may smell good but i just dont understand why this is a top seller,maybe i not sophisicated enough to appreciate but i think it is a very overated fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Mntgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

revisited my edp, the weather is getting colder...wanting something maybe alittle heavier for the season transition. I'm not crazy about the top notes at all, but love the middle and the dry down....I'm really really crazy about this....pretty sure I will wear this all winter, in small doses...:)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2011 8:00:00 PM More reviews by sysco9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I couldn't find the review for the chanel no.5 eau de parfum so I'm gonna write it on here. I got this as a gift from my aunt and it was I belive around 50-70$. I love the bottle because it gives a nice, light and even mist but I am not a fan of the smell I am 15 so this smell is way too old for me. I'm terrible at describing smells but this sent is definetly not floral to me anyways. So I may give this to my mom because she likes the smell so I would not repurchase this since the scent is too old for me :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 3:13:00 PM More reviews by hollyc01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lindyloo, I totally sympathize. I have struggled with No. 5 for years. Keep trying it in both EdT and EdP and find them quite different from each other. I think in Chanel the EdT are truest to the original vision for their scents, but with No. 5 the EdT lasts about 20 mins. on me. Not as fond of the EdP with its heavy 80's jasmine vibe. So off I go to get the parfum. I really couldn't believe how poor the sillage and lasting power were even in the parfum (1.5 hours tops) and I'm reading more and more about this problem throughout the entire Chanel line. I really hope this venerable house isn't bowing to current insanity and turning all its beautiful creations into overpriced body sprays. I have given it a fairly good rating because I can see how beautiful it is meant to be and what went into its creation but somehow they have dropped the ball on this one. Too depressing . . . .
UPDATE: I am finding this one doesn't fully open up in the warm weather, but in cooler temperatures, my oh my! I am layering the EdT over the extrait and it is stunning. Hours and hours of sexy floral animalic sillage. To be perfectly honest, I added a drop of Brent Leonesio's No. 8 with it and I'm in pure vintage heaven. Takes it right back to the good old days of dirty sexy perfumes like it used to smell when my Mother wore it. It doesn't get better than this, it truly doesn't. Still haven't developed a love for the EdP, but hey, that could happen too!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2011 9:06:00 AM More reviews by JaneAnstee

This review is for the Eau de Parfum. Like another reviewer below, I struggled for years to understand why people raved about No 5. Then, one day, a Chanel SA encouraged me to test the Eau de Parfum - what a revelation! Finally I understood other people's adoration of this fragrance - the Eau de Parfum is so much richer, refined and sumptous tha the Eau de Toilette, which is what I had tried before. This perfume lasts for hours and hours on me - I usually spray it on at about 7.30 am, just before I leave for work, and it is still there when I get home about 10 hours later. One of my all time favourite perfumes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 11:12:00 AM More reviews by amlang

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Crisp, confident, elegant, timeless. Snow meets jasmine.

This review is for the parfum version. The EDT is so shrill on me that for years, I couldn't understand why anyone loved No. 5. The parfum version completely turned me around.

Invigorating aldehydes turn into seamlessly blended flowers. The far drydown—as in the morning after—is rich and beautiful. Chanel No. 5 is perfect for any occasion. Usually I wear it for long, long workdays. But I've enjoyed wearing it with jeans and cowboy boots to an indie concert.

Warmer than 1000 by Patou. Medium to big sillage. Incredible longevity (more than 12 hours).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by greenreed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I would wear this if in the mood to wear it. This newer version is not as choking as I remember and I quite like the dry down. It lasts on me. I think I might enjoy the soap, powder or lotion as an alternative.