April 17, 2014 | 1414 users online

Toners - Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 10:58:00 PM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh how I wanted apple cider vinegar to work for my skin. Sadly, most natural cures just don't cut it for my acne prone alligator hide and this is no exception.

About a year ago, I had a bout of acne that just wouldn't quit. I tried nearly everything and was searching for anything that would help. After reading about the benefits of ACV, I decided, why not? I bought the Bragg's version based on reviewers here because I figured the more natural, the better. I even used bottled spring water to dilute it. I will admit, I didn't really ever adjust to using ACV on my face. It smelled a bit too much for my liking and something about all those floaty things staring back at me from the bottle was a bit unsettling. However, I dutifully used it for about six months. I didn't see a significant decrease in my acne or even in of the brightening effects that others have reported. My skin just kind of kept on keeping on and doing its thing (which is almost never a good thing). I did notice that ACV is good as a spot treatment. I think something in the ACV kills the bacteria in acne a bit quicker than harsh OTC spot treatments, but it did little to stop the acne from beginning which was my goal.

Despite ACV not being my face savior, I do like it as a dietary aid. Taking ACV in water or apple juice really does work as an appetite suppressant, and since it's natural I don't have to worry about any weird side effects. I also still use it to mix with the Aztec Indian Healing Clay mask that work wonders too.

Even though this wasn't the miracle product I hoped it would be, I'm glad I tried it because I have found other uses for it. Plus, it's dirt cheap and healthy. Can't go wrong with that!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by woooooosha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff hasn't been a miracle worker, but it has definitely improved my skin. Minimally, but I'll take anything. I firmly believe this stuff has long-term benefits, so I will definitely purchase again.

I've been taking it internally and using it as a toner. My number one complaint is that it is somewhat time-consuming, and finicky. You have to use the right amount, or it will do more harm than good. I started out diluting half and half (for topical) and it worked great. I was impatient, so I went 100% and wow, that was a mistake - it actually made the acne worse. I suggest diluting, for sure.

I put it in a small spray bottle, spray it on after washing my face, let it dry and sit for about 20 minutes (I find I break out if I leave it on too long). I then rinse, put a drop of jojoba oil in my hand, and do one more light spritz to mix with it and moisturize my face, so that only a trace amount is left on to fight breakouts during the day. This seems to work great, and oddly enough, it hasn't dried my skin out one bit.

Internally, I just mix 2 capfulls of ACV with some water and drink it whenever I'm able during the day. It does burn a bit going down, so I don't drink it often, as I think I have an irritated esophagus from undiagnosed acid reflux (although it has certainly helped minor heartburn attacks that I've had). I would not recommend to anybody who has poor enamel or esophageal issues, or to take sparingly if you do.. and with a straw. It is very potent.

Taste and smell are pretty gross. I didn't think it would be as bad as what I've read, but the good news is that you definitely get used to it. In fact, I've found on a couple of occasions that I've enjoyed the taste.

When you get the right mixture, the topical treatment can give you so much instant relief if you are suffering from irritated and inflamed lesions. It will sting like crazy when you first spray it on, but after about a minute you will start to feel a calming sensation and your skin will flatten out and redness will start to fade.

Overall, I am a fan. It takes a while to figure out what mixture your skin will react to, but it is work the wait, and the smell, and the taste. It's awesomely cheap, so don't hesitate to at least give it a try. If you don't like it, use it for cooking!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by Jacqu1em

HG for me! Use daily as a toner to eliminate acne scarring & reduce oil production, has never dried me out. I also use this a few times a month as a clarifying rinse before I shampoo & it works outstanding! Definitely repurchasing, although a bottle of this will last me the year I'm guessing. x

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by atlbaby1o1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

THANK GOD. I've had shallow, but terribly noticeable acne scars for months and my mom suggested ACV as she takes it orally for heath reasons and read that it helped reduce acne and redness. I started diluting it 4 parts water to 1 part ACV and saw results in just two days. It absolutely saved my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2012 12:33:00 AM More reviews by etherpowered

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wow, I wonder what people did before dermatologists?
They used natural products, and they worked! But we are so afraid to use anything natural now, because if it doesn't have a million chemicals, an advertising campaign, or an Rx form to go along with it, well - it probably won't work.
I've been on Accutane twice, and much to my dismay, at 43 years of age still have to use rx BP, Tazorac, Retin-A and bc pills as well. It sucks!
I decided to go on a drug holiday and try ACV after reading about it on the Acne.org website. I started using ACV every night and spot treating blemishes with Hydrogen Peroxide. At first, I saw no changes, in fact, I was concerned that the ACV was making some of my lovely hormonal zits worse. Then, my skin started to glow, feeling soft, supple and the acne started to slowly fade. I'm sold. My skin is no longer either parched from too many products or too oily from recovering from being too dry.
ACV smells, and it's pungent the first couple of times using it, but I've gotten used to it, and although I'd rather it smell like flowers, I've had such a good result I'm going to keep using it. It's also possible to use ACV caplets, which I imagine would have the same effect.
For people with acne prone skin, I would suggest trying this for a week just to take a break from all the caustic substances we have to use. ACV has not faded my acne scars or improved my skin's uneven color, but it has given a healthy radiance and held off the evil cysts. I can't really explain it - but it works!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2012 6:36:00 PM More reviews by nataliecloud9

I tried to use this as a facial toner, (diluted with water,) but it was a disaster! I thought it would help control oil and acne, but all it did was add dry flaky skin on top of all the oil. Not to mention how it absolutely reeks like sour, stinky feet! And the smell lingers all day! I was too embarrassed to leave the house. I was really hoping this would work, but am left disappointed.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2012 1:28:00 AM More reviews by lass917

A couple years ago, I was experiencing some pretty bad back acne where I would get a couple really big cysts at a time. After about a year of trying only lazily to get rid of it, I decided I was going to get serious about stopping it. One of the things I tried was apple cider vinegar, as I'd read great things. I swear my skin is freakish and abnormal because it seems to react poorly to things that others rave about: using this gave me a horrid breakout on my back. Where before I'd have maybe 2 or 3 cysts at a time, this gave me like 8 huge ones, and a bunch of smaller others. And the rest of my skin felt disgusting, too; if I recall correctly it was all oily and unhealthy feeling. I used it for probably about a week and then gave it up.

(If anyone is interested in knowing, not long after trying this, I switched to Head and Shoulders shampoo, tea tree oil, and Neutrogena's 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment, which improved my skin almost immediately. Within a couple months, my back was extremely smooth and basically completely clear. I also stopped drinking milk, and I am POSITIVE this has had a tremendous effect on helping my back stay clear: after not drinking milk for a couple months, I decided I would try it again, and my new, clear back began to get a couple gross cysts. I've recently given up dairy completely.)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2012 4:21:00 PM More reviews by rosiepalms

this is a miracle for my skin. Huge bottle lasts for months. Diluted half with distilled H20 as a toner. However did not work in my hair... it smelled like dirty sweat socks for days!!! could NOT get the smell outa my hair. sooooo gross to get a whif of dirty socks in my hair every so often.
I will never buy toner from a drug store ever again!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by blondie86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Just didn't work for me. I tried diluting it many different ways, and it just irritated my skin no matter what. I suppose I could try taking it internally to see if that does anything. I prefer witch hazel for a toner.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2012 8:14:00 AM More reviews by bonbon6

I know this is going to sound like a gross exaggeration, but, I've used Bragg's as a toner for one day, and I'm amazed. I have a few bumps on my face, and after I used it as a toner at night (in a 1:1 ration with water) they were noticeably smaller in the morning. I can't believe it. Not only were the bumps noticeably smaller, my skin feels very soft and smooth. It's wonderful. I've also started taking it internally, and haven't seen any differences in that regard yet, as it's only been a day. I can't say enough about this stuff so far. At the price it's at, it can't be beat.