August 27, 2014 | 912 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by CBNegron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall, this is a really good red lipstick. This is one of MAC's only Retro Matte formulas, which is similar to their regular Matte formula, just slightly more dry. This is both good and bad. It's good because the dryness is really what helps the lipstick stick to your lips. I rarely have to reapply this, even after light eating and drinking. It's bad because without the proper priming/moisturizing, this can go on very patchy, and it kind of pulls across the lips. What I do is put on Maybelline Baby Lips (or your favorite lip conditioner/primer), and then line and fill in my lips completely with MAC's Cherry lipliner. This helps to prep my leps, and it brings down the brightness of this ever so slightly. If you want a brighter red liner, opt for Redd. If you want a slighter darker red liner, opt for Brick. The blue undertone in this lipstick helps to make your teeth appear whiter. If this red is too bright for you, maybe try MAC's Russian Red or even Viva Glam I for something slightly deeper.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by monaylisa

This is a nice shade of lipstick but you can buy one of the wet n wild lipsticks in the colour red velvet for a fraction of the price. Same colour, same consistency.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 6:04:00 AM More reviews by Devildog4025

My 2013 New Year's resolution was to try something different every month. I am very, very boring in terms of style. So I purchased Ruby-Woo... hoping to add some pop to my style.
And it worked. The color alone is too bright for my olive-yellow (part hispanic, part asian) skin tone. So I top it with Mac Lip MIx in Crimson. Not only does it make it the perfect red for me, but it makes it stay on NO MATTER WHAT. Perfect combination for me. I also use the Mac Lip Liner in Cherry. The only downside is that it can be a little drying, but I just slap my chapstick (cherry Carmex) on top once the Lip Mix is dry and it is good to go.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Deannasantiago

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been searching for the perfect red lipstick and this may be as close as it gets! What I love about this lipstick is that it is thick and you don't need to apply a lot for it to show. It stays on all day and there's no need to keep reapplying (unless you ate sloppily or had a make out session) I think this red compliments ALL skin tones. It does leave a stain on your lips after you remove it which I don't mind though. Best if you apply it after using lip primer

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 6:08:00 AM More reviews by vrslv

Best. Lipstick. Ever.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by xshado

I've been trying to look for a perfect red lip, that compliments my complexion and that has that blue undertone.
I have finally found it!
I thought that this lipstick would be too expensive, but it really wasn't.
The "Retro-matte" description kind of intimated me because i didn't want it to dry up on my lips.
So what i did to prevent that from happening, i exfoliated for at least 10 seconds (with my toothbrush), then i moisturized (with cocoa butter) , and i applied a red lip liner then applied ruby woo!
It feels so good on your lips, like if it's not even there!
Although, i ate, the red color was still there just not as vivid so i reapplied and it lasted throughout the whole day.
The blue undertone makes you teeth look whiter, your complexion brighter, and your lips stand out!
Another great thing about is that it doesn't transfer!
I love this color ! I can finally have red lipstick on, not have to worry about it reapplying, and feel good about it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2013 5:30:00 PM More reviews by mzjade22

Perfect red for any skin tone. Like everyone else has said, its incredibly drying. Exfoliate and use a heavy duty lip balm before applying, or you will regret it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Sanjibab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Cannot fault this colour! Its amazing and goes with any skintone!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Caylinw

Love love love the color! Great red for many skin types it is drying but I find most matte products are just put a good lip balm under it and it creates an amazing look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2013 2:01:00 PM More reviews by FauxChic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This lipstick is THE lipstick to have. Everyone needs to at least have experimented with the oh so famous Ruby Woo. It's a matte, medium blue toned red that compliments so many different complexions (MAC NW43). So many people complain about the drying formula which is very understandable but in MAC's defense, it does state on the packaging 'retro matte' and that does indicate what formula you're bound to work with. It's so important to prep yo' lips before wearing this though, it has such a tendency to cling on to the driest and flakiest parts of the lips... I even had friends with Ruby Woo on and was too afraid to mention the very obvious flaky particles on their lips *sigh* ^_^
But if you are willing to go through the hassle... it is 100% worth it, I'm in love with the matte finish, not to mention it lasts all day!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No