Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-Harvest¬ģ

on 12/30/2008 5:20:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this product so much more than I expected to. I had never tried anything with tea tree oil before, but it seems to be a miracle ingredient for my skin. I bought this a month ago and after a week of use my acne was virtually gone, I haven't had a breakout since. Also, this does such a good job that I cut out the toner in my skin care routine and my face still looks better than ever. Most days now I just wash my face, put on some sunscreen, and I'm good to go. Okay, the stuff is watery, so much so that I bought a 2 dollar bottle of foaming hand soap just to empty out so I could use that bottle instead. I would encourage anyone else to do the same because it wastes less and makes application easier.

Edit: I had to stop using this because it was drying out my skin too much. It really keeps the blemishes at bay but my skin was getting so flaky that it wasn't worth it. I guess the final verdict is that if you tend to be on the dry side, this stuff probably isn't for you.

I started using this cleanser about a year ago and have not budged from it since - which is saying a lot! Any first-time user would be taken aback by it's thin, liquid-y texture and intense tea tree oil scent, but trust me, it is definitely something you all should try getting used to if you want this to work. And the relationship is worth it!

I still break out on occasion due to stress or a poor diet, so I won't say that this cleanser precludes that, but does any product? What this cleanser does do, is offer, in a simplified, organic makeup, a great cleaning service for your distressed, polluted pores at the end of the day. Only a very small amount, like half a teaspoon, is needed to do the job; but be careful to shut your eyes tight when smoothing it across your lids!

I use this both in the morning at the sink and at night in the shower, and it doesn't dry out my skin. It leaves my skin soft and glowing. You all should try the version with seaweed, too!

on 11/25/2008 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have never had a cleanser leave my face squeaky clean but this one does, literally. The only thing that I did not like was the consistancy as it is very watery but it does lather great. I took one lippie off due to the consistancy.

on 11/12/2008 11:39:00 PM

I LOVE this product!!! I wish I had found it earlier. I've been using this for 2-3 weeks with the Tea Tree Oil from DE. My face starts to clear out and I can tell this face wash is not too harsh on my face. My skin is oily but sometimes it can be dry, esp when I use stuff to clear out my acne. I normally use this to wash my face first, then follow by some Jojoba Oil to further clean pores and provide some moisture, then wash my face one more time with this face wash (make sure to rinse it well), then do spot treatment with the Tea Tree Oil. Oh I replace the original bottle with the foaming bottle. I like it much better that way since one pump is all I need and it doesn't waste any. The original bottle makes it harder to control how much you get each time. I will update in a month or so and let you know how it goes.

on 11/8/2008 3:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

A mixed review on this Ė I would give it 3.5 lippies if I could. This cleanser makes my face feel literally squeaky clean, which is great sometimes and not so great at other times. Itís great for after exercising, being outside in humid weather, etc. when my face is feeling gross and sweaty. Squirts out looking water-y but foams exceptionally well and really cleans away all traces of make-up and oiliness. Apart from the very reasonable price, I also like the fact that this company makes a large refill bottle. I think that's a great idea and I don't know why other natural-type companies don't do this as well, especially those with the heavy glass containers. Anyways... The downside to this product is that when my typically normal skin becomes normal-to-dry in the winter months, this cleanser is too harsh/drying to be used on an everyday basis, and I only use it after I go running (~3x a week). The strong tea tree oil smell was awful and overpowering when I first began using it, but lo and behold I got over it. I still do wish it smelled better, though.

As for the ingredients, they are: Castile Soap, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Organic Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium (Awapuhi) Root Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwrack) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini (Palmarosa) Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Petitgrain) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil. I think that the tea tree oil is effective at minimizing my occasional hormonal breakouts, and Iíve heard, and experienced myself, how wonderful olive oil is for the skin, so those were my two big reasons for trying this cleanser in the first place. The main ingredient is Castile soap, which I had to Google, otherwise known as pure vegetable-derived soap. I donít think the Coconut oil is an issue as far as being comedogenic, since in a cleanser, it will only be on your face for a few minutes. It didnít make me breakout, anyways. The Peppermint oil might be problematic for those with sensitive skin, even though it is the last ingredient and probably only a tiny amount is included.

Bottom line: People with dry or sensitive skin should avoid this. Iíd recommend it to those with oily skin, or for those with normal skin who are looking for something to give them that squeaky clean feeling when the circumstances are warranted.

on 10/30/2008 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This cleans, sure it does. But skin was so dry and broken out. OMG. I had to use the rest for hand soap. Awful results.

on 10/27/2008 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I was using Proactiv before switching to this product. Proactiv was making my face age, so I decided to try something less "harsh". This does just as good a job at controlling my acne as Proactiv (I would even venture in saying it does a BETTER job!), and it is a fraction of the price. It is drying, but I have oily skin and it seems to work on me. I haven't had a bad acne breakout since using this product in combination with Mychelle Vitamin C serum, and this is really amazing to me. My boyfriend has also ditched the Proactiv in favor of this soap, and he loves it--hasn't had a breakout since! P.S. I buy this at Trader Joes.

on 10/25/2008 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

this is one of the few face washes I've bought over and over. The other being philosophy purity, which I love but it's more expensive. I like my face to feel clean after I wash it, and this makes my face feel really clean. other reviews noted that it makes your face tight and dried out. I haven't really noticed that (but maybe it is a bit drying since I slather on face cream like no other). but again I feel that it makes my face feel really clean. it also seems to disinfect well - my bf has pimples and he tried some and doesn't seem to have pimples as much. he used to use cethaphil but switched over.

on 9/23/2008 11:10:00 PM

I love this stuff! The tea tree does have an antiseptic smell to it, but I like the herbal scent anyways. Both my boyfriend and I have been using it for 4 months and we both now have glowing, perfect skin (his used to be prone to breakouts). It makes my face feel squeaky clean, and I even use it on my chest and shoulders to keep them gleaming. My only complaint is the consistency - it's very thin, like water. I bought it at Whole Foods in the pump bottle but now get the giant refill bottles for just $10!

on 8/23/2008 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have used this facewash for over a year now, however, although I love the clean feeling I get after using it, I, like many other users found that I got those annoying little white bumps around my jaw line. Its so frustrating as they would sit there for a while then slowly but surely they would become inflamed. I have now stopped using it. Its quite pricey in the UK, £7, from Holland and Barratt.