October 25, 2014 | 1481 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2008 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Abella

I LOVE this product!!! I wish I had found it earlier. I've been using this for 2-3 weeks with the Tea Tree Oil from DE. My face starts to clear out and I can tell this face wash is not too harsh on my face. My skin is oily but sometimes it can be dry, esp when I use stuff to clear out my acne. I normally use this to wash my face first, then follow by some Jojoba Oil to further clean pores and provide some moisture, then wash my face one more time with this face wash (make sure to rinse it well), then do spot treatment with the Tea Tree Oil. Oh I replace the original bottle with the foaming bottle. I like it much better that way since one pump is all I need and it doesn't waste any. The original bottle makes it harder to control how much you get each time. I will update in a month or so and let you know how it goes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2008 3:21:00 AM More reviews by smurfkitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A mixed review on this Ė I would give it 3.5 lippies if I could. This cleanser makes my face feel literally squeaky clean, which is great sometimes and not so great at other times. Itís great for after exercising, being outside in humid weather, etc. when my face is feeling gross and sweaty. Squirts out looking water-y but foams exceptionally well and really cleans away all traces of make-up and oiliness. Apart from the very reasonable price, I also like the fact that this company makes a large refill bottle. I think that's a great idea and I don't know why other natural-type companies don't do this as well, especially those with the heavy glass containers. Anyways... The downside to this product is that when my typically normal skin becomes normal-to-dry in the winter months, this cleanser is too harsh/drying to be used on an everyday basis, and I only use it after I go running (~3x a week). The strong tea tree oil smell was awful and overpowering when I first began using it, but lo and behold I got over it. I still do wish it smelled better, though.

As for the ingredients, they are: Castile Soap, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Organic Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium (Awapuhi) Root Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwrack) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini (Palmarosa) Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Petitgrain) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil. I think that the tea tree oil is effective at minimizing my occasional hormonal breakouts, and Iíve heard, and experienced myself, how wonderful olive oil is for the skin, so those were my two big reasons for trying this cleanser in the first place. The main ingredient is Castile soap, which I had to Google, otherwise known as pure vegetable-derived soap. I donít think the Coconut oil is an issue as far as being comedogenic, since in a cleanser, it will only be on your face for a few minutes. It didnít make me breakout, anyways. The Peppermint oil might be problematic for those with sensitive skin, even though it is the last ingredient and probably only a tiny amount is included.

Bottom line: People with dry or sensitive skin should avoid this. Iíd recommend it to those with oily skin, or for those with normal skin who are looking for something to give them that squeaky clean feeling when the circumstances are warranted.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/30/2008 9:13:00 AM More reviews by jcrysy

This cleans, sure it does. But skin was so dry and broken out. OMG. I had to use the rest for hand soap. Awful results.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by jomun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was using Proactiv before switching to this product. Proactiv was making my face age, so I decided to try something less "harsh". This does just as good a job at controlling my acne as Proactiv (I would even venture in saying it does a BETTER job!), and it is a fraction of the price. It is drying, but I have oily skin and it seems to work on me. I haven't had a bad acne breakout since using this product in combination with Mychelle Vitamin C serum, and this is really amazing to me. My boyfriend has also ditched the Proactiv in favor of this soap, and he loves it--hasn't had a breakout since! P.S. I buy this at Trader Joes.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2008 11:40:00 AM More reviews by anonsuebee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this is one of the few face washes I've bought over and over. The other being philosophy purity, which I love but it's more expensive. I like my face to feel clean after I wash it, and this makes my face feel really clean. other reviews noted that it makes your face tight and dried out. I haven't really noticed that (but maybe it is a bit drying since I slather on face cream like no other). but again I feel that it makes my face feel really clean. it also seems to disinfect well - my bf has pimples and he tried some and doesn't seem to have pimples as much. he used to use cethaphil but switched over.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2008 11:10:00 PM More reviews by FireKittenEMT

I love this stuff! The tea tree does have an antiseptic smell to it, but I like the herbal scent anyways. Both my boyfriend and I have been using it for 4 months and we both now have glowing, perfect skin (his used to be prone to breakouts). It makes my face feel squeaky clean, and I even use it on my chest and shoulders to keep them gleaming. My only complaint is the consistency - it's very thin, like water. I bought it at Whole Foods in the pump bottle but now get the giant refill bottles for just $10!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2008 3:02:00 PM More reviews by jen2405

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this facewash for over a year now, however, although I love the clean feeling I get after using it, I, like many other users found that I got those annoying little white bumps around my jaw line. Its so frustrating as they would sit there for a while then slowly but surely they would become inflamed. I have now stopped using it. Its quite pricey in the UK, £7, from Holland and Barratt.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:43:00 PM More reviews by sbprincess21

I actually use an acne treatment with tea tree oil called Earth Therapeutics Clari-T Acne Serum, and it works wonders at clearing my acne, so I figured I'd try a face wash with the miracle tea tree in it also. This face was definitely leaves my skin feeling extra clean, and I love how much it lathers with just one pump from the bottle! It is somewhat strong though, and I have dry skin as it is, so using it too often I could definitely see this overdrying my skin. I only use this once a day at night to give my face that extra cleansing from this product that it needs, and it clears my skin of excess oil, dirt, make-up. I love using natural products, so this is something that I feel good about washing my face with. My fiance actually stole this from me one day, and loved it so much that we are constantly stealing back and forth from each others bathrooms whenever we need to use it. I assume this means he REALLY likes this face wash too, but as this is getting quite annoying, I will be buying him his own bottle when I reorder mine. I am not sure if I will be needing the extra cleansing going into the winter time, but as a summer time face wash it is AMAZING. TEA TREE ROCKS!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2008 4:30:00 PM More reviews by Scottish72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product did do a good job at removing all traces of face make-up including the eye area. It didn't irritate my sensitive skin which is a BIG BONUS! However it did not leave me with the most pleasant feeling after using. It left my skin feeling tugged and tight. I have discontinued using it for this reason alone.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2008 1:27:00 AM More reviews by lydeeah

This face wash definitely kept my face clean. However i feel like maybe it was too strong. After reading what other people said about the after effects of this face wash i realized that i too had small bumps around my mouth and chin. Like small bumps i never had. They weren't even pimples, just like inflamed big pores? Anyways i guess this could have caused it if its happening to other people too. The little bumps are really annoying. They haven't been going away. And they look like pimples, when they aren't.