LUSH BIG

3.9

Sea Salt (Sodium Chloride), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Fresh Organic Lemon Infusion (Citrus limonum), Fresh Sea Water (Aqua), Toothed Wrack Seaweed Infusion (Fucus serratus), Cocamide DEA, Lauryl Betaine, Fresh Organic Lime Juice (Citrus aurantifolia), Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Neroli Oil (Citrus amara), Mandarin Oil (Citrus nobilis), Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), Orris Absolute (Iris florentina), *Limonene, *Linalool, *Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Perfume

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Although it might seem not the best idea to wash your hair with salt, this shampoo actually is really cool.
The salt in it may work as a scrub - to get rid of the skin flakes on a scalp.
I don't know exactly why, but it prevents hair from falling and gives volume to my hair.

I'm not a great fan of the smell - compared to other Lush aromas, it's a bit too usual, I would say, too perfumey, may be. But I don't dislike it.

As for con's - it does dry out your hair, if used daily - you do need to use it in turns with some milder shampoos, and you do need a good conditioner.

on 2/9/2011 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

BIG is a combination of sea salt leave in hair volumizers with Lush shampoo! Whoever would think to put salt rocks in a soap? Genius!
It took some time for me to learn to love this product. The first time I smelled it I was apprehensive (to me it smells like cleaning supplies!), the first time I lathered I got no "lather," and the first time I used it I had grains of salt in my hair!
However, happy to say, this product is innovative and works well. :) Just have to get used to it! The slightest amount of product goes a looong way (belief the Lush salesman when they tell you that!) -- even if you have long hair! Concentrate that small amount on your roots -- just like any shampoo really, this will take the grease off AND get you more volume; use the remaining lather on the rest of your hair. Wet this product underwater a few times, it is not going to wash it off your head, it's going to "activate it" to a good lather :)
My hair gets good lift and is literally "squeaky" when I am done. No other way to explain it ^-^ if you tried it you know what I mean!
The only CON -- this is slightly drying, but so are most "volumizing" shampoos, it's how they work. I recommend using a mild conditioner to your ends (NOT the roots) after shampooing
(as for buying it again -- Maybe should be an option ;). The only time someone has told me "your hair looks huge" without any other product or teasing)

on 2/5/2011 3:39:00 AM

I have long hair, almost to my hips, and i really wanted to bring back some of the poof i had when my hair was shorter.
This products make my hair feel squiky clean, and i dont want to use any hair products in it after i have used this.
So after i have washed my hair in Big, i let it air dry (no towel) for about 3 hours and it leave my hair curly and it give my hair a tiny lift up with the roots. Its great. :)

This shampoo is awesome. My hair is very fine and very thin, so I picked up this and the Veganese conditioner to try and get more volume. Now it's in seriously great condition, so soft, volumized and manageable, albeit less shiny. I'm not the biggest fan of the smell but I love the texture...the big particles and the scrubbing is kind of fun for me, lol. I bought the tub in October and I still have 2/3 left, so even if it's pricey it lasts for a long time (you don't need much product). Will buy this again and again. :)

on 1/24/2011 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I use this more during the summer, since I like to use it without a conditioner. I find if I use this with a conditioner, I get no volume since it just gets weighed down. This tub lasted me a year, but i don't use it for every shampoo. Once a week in the summer, and special occasions only in the summer. I find it lightens hair too, people always ask me if i've changed my hair when I use it, so if you're worried about fading I don't reccomend this! Also makes hair really shiny.

on 1/22/2011 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Only four lippies due to the ingredient list- it has either sodium laureth sulfate, or lauryl sulfate, I forget which, which I try to stay away from. However, otherwise, this makes my hair very shiny smooth. It does not make my hair big, but I would rather have the shine. I use it every other day and it has lasted about three to four months, and I still have a little left. It is also fabulously fun to use- the novelty has yet to wear off :)

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

The smell was probably the only thing I hated about Big when I first bought it :( but for some reason I love the smell now.
Again like other lush scents, the smell needs some getting used to.

I love the coarse sea salt in it, it's just so interesting. It lathers so easily that you really need just the smallest amount :)

It smells like citrus and salt :) kind of like the ocean but I like it ^^

This shampoo makes my hair shiny and light feeling.
I will buy this again :)

on 1/13/2011 1:07:00 AM

I got a sample of this shampoo...and i have to say I love it. I have thick, somewhat coarse hair, but it easily becomes heavy and weighed down by the middle and end of the day. One of my biggest concerns is finding a shampoo that doesn't dry out my hair while still providing great volume. I find that this shampoo is great for that. I like to switch between this and the Phyto shampoo to give my hair some variation, but using this andt he veganese conditioner is the perfect balance I need. I recommend this to anyone who has hair like mine.

on 1/7/2011 5:16:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a fabulous product, when used correctly. I find it works brilliantly for a second lather after giving my hair a good first lather with Paul Mitchell Awapuhi shampoo. Using a very small amount of Big after that adds wonderful softness and bounce, and it smells great. You get used to the giant-salt-crystals-in-porridge texture! After using this I was hair-spotted in the street by a renowned photographer :) Seriously, it's great stuff.

on 1/4/2011 6:23:00 PM

I got a sample of this, as one of my friends worked at Lush (I worked there too, for a very short time).

First time I used it was when I was washing Caca Brun henna out of my hair. I figured the grainy texture would help get the goo out more easily. I was right, and I was surprised at how well it lathered. Also, I loved how the salt grains felt against my scalp, and the scent -for me - was divine. It's kind of sweet, yet fresh. Yum! May not be appealing to everyone, however.

So, some months later I decided to get a full pot of it for myself for Christmas. It was such a disappointment. I don't really like to admit it, but I hate spending this much on a simple personal care product, so I expected it to be awesome for the price. It was reasonable at the most. Loved the smell, but it didn't seem to get a consistent result from it. Once it left my hair dry, the other time silky. And only ONCE did it REALLY give my hair that big volume it was advertised for. I tried repeating my routine which with I received the best result, but it didn't happen again. Weird. No matter what I used it along with (usually Coolaulin conditioner and / or Fudge Salt Spray), the volume just didn't appear. Sad.
It does make the hair slightly more shiny, but only on the healty parts (explained in cons).

Pros:

- The smell.
- The unusual texture.
- The packaging (you can maximally control the amount you want to use, and can get all of the stuff out of the pot).
- Not tested on animals.
- Goes quite a long way.
- Not tested on animals.
- Pretty good for clarifying.

Cons:

- No matter how well it lasts, it's still expensive (for me at least):
- Huge hit or miss in the result department.
- Makes healty hair shinier, but damaged part even more obvious.
- You most likely will have to test it yourself to see if it works for you, no matter what the reviews say or what you would like to believe.
- Even with a sample test, the result may be misleading.
- If your hair is extremely damaged and / or dry, you will definitely need a good conditioner after this.

I'm not going to say it's useless, but if you're only trying something new because you're bored with your old shampoo, I would't recommend it. If you're seeking something that isn't tested on animals, and has less health compromisig ingredients, then go for it. Either way, it's worth to ask for a sample of it, if nothing else...

Top Rated LUSH Products