August 22, 2014 | 1930 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by Numeriku

Now, if you had asked me to review this a few months ago, i would have called it the God of all foundations, the ultimate, no comparison, untouchable, the list goes on, but what they have turned this once flawless foundation into has completely broken my heart, and caused nothing but absolute despair.

After suffering with very bad acne for the majority of my life, and going through 15+ years of using several different foundation brands to find the match that suited me, i finally came across this about a year ago *how i did not know of it sooner... wow...*, not only did it cover up every spot, every scar, every blemish, and every hint of redness on my face, but it did not oxidize into an orange blobish mess, stayed put even when swimming, through heat, through cold, rain, sweat, everything, but it lasted all day, and to finish it off a little would go a loooong way. It was the first foundation that matched my very pale skin tone, and the first to not break me out... WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU DONE?!

For the first time in over a decade I had confidence, I had heard of this foundation from Cassandra Bankson who at the time was a young woman who had suffered from the worst cystic acne, ever. She appeared on the news after she had received many Youtube hits for her video on how she used this makeup to hide ALL of her redness *and she was as red as a tomato*, her scars, everything… Needless to say I rushed out and tried this because if it could cover HER FACE and make her look FLAWLESS then… WOAH.

But why? What possessed you to change the BEST FOUNDATION EVER CONCIEVED into this complete travesty? And what is even more disturbing is the price remains the same? Yet the quality is that of some of the cheapest drugstore brand makeup? Disgusting, deplorable, inconceivable, why why why why WHY!!?!?!
So MANY people with abysmal acne problems have used your foundation for a very long time and have come to rely on it to have the confidence to show their faces in public, why would you do this to us? After years of searching for such a gem and you do this? Not only have you lost and will continue to lose many customers, but you have also lost a huge amount of respect… for your foundation to turn out like the rubbish Avon produces… it makes my mind boggle…

This new formula causes breakouts, barely has 1/3rd of the staying power, oxidizes into a grose blotchy mess, is much thinner and does not cover anywhere near as well as it used to, has no SPF, the old colours have been replaced with new ones that are no where near the colours of the old versions, with the lighter colours like Shell removed completely *and the lighests colour now doesn't even come close*, and it does not apply well at all… how you could market it for the same price is… it’s just a complete scam.

For the love of everything, bring back the old formula, and bring back the old colours, DON’T FIX THAT WHICH ISNT BROKEN!!!!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by happygolucky20

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

HOLY GRAIL FOUNDATION.
Don't be discouraged to try this if you're in your teens. I first purchased this foundation when I turned 16 and it's perfect.
Coverage: Medium or full, depending on the application
Lasting Power: Better than anything I've ever tried. I put it on around 7:00AM it lasts until i get out of work at 7pm (even longer!)
Smell is heavy, but it's such a heavy foundation...what do you expect? The color (I use 3W1 Tawney) is supposed to be Warm but it's more peachy... but the foundation has such good coverage/lasting power/finish that I can get over it.
Finish: Natural or matte. Can look cakey if you don't take the right precautions. (exfoliate often, moisterize, blend well)

Overall, it's pricey but it's a lot of people's holy grail for a reason.
Give it a shot!! :)

Just for refrence: NC35 in MAC Studio Fix and NARS Sheer Glow in Stromboli, Neutrogena Healthy Skin in 60 Natural Beige, and Revlon Colorstay in 300 Golden Beige.)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Texan10

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've used this product for many years and I love it. Even though they have recently made a change in the product.
I live in a very hot, humid climate. I have very oily skin and a so-so complexion.

Use a primer, and then use a damp sponge to apply the foundation.
Don't try to wipe it on. TAP it on. Patting it in with a damp sponge gives great coverage without the mask like effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 3:33:00 PM More reviews by BrendaLM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think I have found my HG foundation!! I avoided making the purchase because most highly raved about products never seem to work for me and I have a drawer full of high end and drug store foundation that I need to still work through. Finally bought it and I love it!! I apply with beauty blender or brush and has great coverage. It is buildable medium to full coverage, it does not look cakey if you apply full coverage. Great range of shades. Only complaint it does not come with a pump, but I have heard the MAC pump works well with this bottle, so I will try it out.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Sedatedalice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Alright, so I'm on my third bottle of this, so yes, I am a believer. This foundation has a lot of pluses! But also some mediocre points.

Pros:
-SUPER long wear
-Excellent,medium to full coverage
-Good color range (I was a fan before they added more shades, but now there is actually one that matches me)
-Doesn't break out my sensitive skin

Cons:
-It will stain everything it gets on to
-It can accentuate your pores without a primer underneath
-It dries pretty fast

So I have rosacea, and I am about as pale as a ghost to boot, so finding a foundation that looks natural, covers my redness, and is kind to my skin is difficult. I also work full time and go to school, so my foundation sometimes has to go untouched for 16-18 hours and look good. I've tried both the high end and drug store, and nothing has DW's staying power. With a touch of powder during the day, it looks nearly as good as it did when I put it on, which to me is pretty amazing. The coverage is also amazing, I can build it from a pretty light coverage on my good skin days to complete full coverage for a special event without a lot of hassle. The right tool to apply this is crucial, though - I like both the Beauty blender sponge (this foundation will stain the crud out of it though) and a good stippling brush (I just got the Real Techniques one, and I like it a lot). I've tried with those triangular sponges, traditional foundation brushes, and flat top powder brushes, and it just doesn't look quite the same. You do have to work with it quickly or it will dry on you, and then you'd better just wash your face and start all over as that's the only way you're going to get it off.

I have large pores, and this will accentuate them a bit if I don't prime underneath. Not a big deal in my world, as no one gets that close to me to see my pores if I forget in the morning.

Overall? I love it. It's been good to me, especially with the expanded color range. I will cry a lot if they ever discontinue this. The only drug store foundation that comes close to this one is the Maybelline 24 hour Foundation, but it breaks me out badly (other than that it's great!).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by xoxolindax3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this foundation about 3 years ago and I didn't like it because the color didn't match me and I was new to foundations so I didn't know the right way to apply it So after the last 2 years or so, I tried everything from Clinique, Chanel, Dior, back to Chanel & I couldn't find what I wanted in a foundation. So this year I rediscovered Estee Lauder double wear and I fell in love with it! This foundation matches my skin tone like no other & best of all, it does not change colors and turn me orange. I use this foundation with a beauty blender because it works BEST! It evens out redness & covers acne scarring because it is full coverage. However, in my opinion it's definately not buildable because it will get cakey & you will have to start over. But overall it's a great foundation I'm very happy :)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by Ducky8989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

HATE this product. If you think Revlon Colorstay or Mac Studio Fix are mask-like this is on a whole different level. I found this to be insanely heavy and uncomfortable to wear and just not natural looking. The one pro I will say is that there is an excellent color selection, so finding the right shade should be easy.

Anyway, after trying this I went straight back to my HG which is revlon colorstay. I had only decided to try double wear because I had seen the positive reviews and was curious. Colorstay is a fraction of the cost, and has a much more natural look and feel (just don't use too much). And it also stays put incredibly well, even through swimming in the summer!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2013 6:09:00 PM More reviews by cccchloe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation, the color, the soft focus finish and the extreme durability of it, but every time I wear it during the day, my fiancé has that look on his face like, "woah, that's some heavy makeup she's wearing...". I can tell he doesn't like it because he prefers the no makeup look and although he never says anything, it's just one of those foundations that really LOOKS like makeup. Definitely not natural looking, unfortunately.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by KaMcCre

Really liked the coverage it gave me and the colour was perfect for my skin, but it was way too cakey and heavy on my skin, cannot wear it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 4:50:00 PM More reviews by Tindrabell

I have never tried the previous version of this foundation. Instead I've used Lancome Teint Idole, which was also changed and is pretty useless now. I'm so glad that I tried Double Wear! I use a moisturizer and an illuminating primer and then put on DW with My fingers. It gives me a perfect skin without looking powdery, it gives a subtle glow and stays on until the evening. I don't find it difficult to remove, I wash Twice with a cream wash. I don't have a problem with the shades either- 1N2 Ecru is perfect for my fair scandinavian skin!