November 27, 2014 | 1221 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Luminous Silk Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2013 6:00:00 PM More reviews by RajiS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

After using Luminous Silk for 7 years I can safely say I would never buy another foundation again.

My cheeks can tend to look a bit red (thank you broken capillaries) but generally, my skin is pretty clear and even. My skin type is generally normal (but sometimes prone to dryness) and I have a slightly oily T-zone. Overall, a weird combination. For this reason I've never needed or wanted a heavy foundation but instead I've looked for light foundations that maintain good, long lasting coverage.

I've found that this foundation sinks nicely into the skin so it looks completely natural, which is perfect if you want to wear it every day without looking like you've made far too much effort. It gets rid of any red patches I might have and gives me that nice "glow" I've always read about. Because it's light I've found that even if I wear it all day over a long period of time (I normally don't wear foundation on a day to day basis and try to keep it to special occasions) it doesn't play about with my skin or cause me to break out. A little goes a long way too, I use the tiniest amount for full coverage and I've never ever come close to finishing a pot (but obviously, as with any make up you should replace it once it expires). Because of this, the expensive price tag feels justified!

On it's own it's good, but with primer (I use MAC but that's mostly because I've never bothered to look anywhere else) and with the Luminous Silk loose powder on top it sets so nicely to give an expensive, airbrushed look. The best part is my t-zone doesn't oil up even after hours of wear (without touch ups!) so I thankfully don't look greasy by the end of the night. I also use it with their highlighter (No 10 to replace my bronzer and / or No 2 to highlight the cheeks and brow bones).

As a set, it IS expensive but I promise you if you do go for it you won't look back! They will try to convince you that it works even better with their even pricier designer shaping brush but that's not true. Although the brush itself is fine, that's all it is - fine. I prefer using my £8 brush that I picked up from the drugstore! Overall, the foundation is perfect for people who want an every day foundation that gives full coverage without feeling heavy on the skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Meech25

I got a sample of this after hearing rave reviews of this foundation.
Im an NC-35 in MAC, and was matched to the 5.5
I like the foundation, there is really nothing wrong with it. But i have oily skin.
I think this would be a really nice foundation on dry skin ladies, but it made me a little greasy in the T-zone and it's not really worth the $60 for me!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 4:05:00 AM More reviews by Anna12345

I bought this after watching a video by Lisa Eldridge about her favourite foundations. I've always used medium to full coverage foundations to cover my uneven, freckly skin tone, which is prone to blemishes and scars in the chin area. However, as I've become a little older, I've noticed that I need to go a bit lighter with my foundation to create a more natural look, so I thought that this would be a good product to achieve this.

I purchased the shade 4 which is perfect for my NC20, neutral to warm complexion. The finish is semi-matte to dewy. I would use this in winter as I don't think it would withstand humid summer days. Coverage is light and not build-able: it definitely does not cover all of my blemishes and scars, so I need to spot conceal over the top to cover any marks and redness showing through.

I use Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation (shade Desert Beige - very close in colour to this foundation) through the centre of my face to cover redness and my Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer (shade SC3) to cover up blemishes. As you can see, it takes a few more "steps" and other products to achieve the desired look, so this Armani foundation is a bit more work than I would like an expensive product to be.

I really wanted to like this foundation but I have mixed feelings about it. On days when my skin is in good condition, I think this foundation is fantastic. I love how my freckles show through and how it evens out my skin tone without creating a mask-like effect. I've received complements about how fresh my skin looks. However, on days when my skin is a bit more sensitive or red looking, I'm not confident that this foundation is giving me the coverage I need.

Also, the finish can be a bit hit-and-miss: if I use Clarins' Beauty Flash Balm as a primer, this foundation seems to go on smoothly but if I use my Laura Mercier Oil-free Primer, it sits in my pores and looks powdery and streaky, so it's important to experiment and select products that work with this foundation.

Overall, there are too many "inconsistencies" with this product, so I would not be repurchasing it. At $90 (AUS), I think I can find a cheaper alternative that doesn't require so much effort. In fact, I think Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation in shade 52 is very similar in shade and texture but is cheaper and offers more coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by MilaJH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best foundation I've ever used. Found my holy grail.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 6:27:00 AM More reviews by Beautyveiled

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my holy grail foundation! It has an amazing flawless finish on my combination skin. It doesn't oxidise and it has amazing lasting power with a decent primer. I cannot fault this except for maybe the price. However,Nars Sheer Glow works out the same price when you include buying the pump. This also photographs beautifully. I wear shade 6.25 which matches my nc30/35 STROMBOLI skin. where have you been all my life?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by katarinapierce

This is a lovely foundation especially for the evening, it photographs beautifully without flashbacks, a really good choice for important occasions.
I like that it is subtly luminous and does not irritate my skin. Medium-buildable coverage, excellent for good-skin days. You are however expected to use a concealer to cover up eye-bags/acnes.

I use it with the Armani Light Master Primer and lasts me the whole day, though I may need to blot my T-zone a little by the evening. The lasting power is great set it with powder.

The cons of this foundation is definitely the price, but I guess it's good to have this foundation in your collection like I said for important events. I am not surprised if make up artists suggest using this foundation for weddings.

For your reference I am a little bit lighter than NC20 and I am in shade #3 recommended by the lady at the counter (she tested out several shades on my face). I have normal/dry skin with occasional break-outs, slightly oily T-zone.

**if you have oily skin you may find the luminosity offensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by sof2521

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best foundation I've ever used! Completely smooth finish. I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing makes my skin look as smooth as the Armani Luminous Silk. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by ahccc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am in love with this foundation. Finally found a foundation that I'm totally satisfied with (a little pricey tho). It is super lightweight yet gives a good coverage to create a flawless look! I must admit that I have blemishes here and there and got quite a few dark spots and acne scars on my face but this foundation covers them ALL! It is amazing! I am onto my 3rd bottle now. Each time I finish a bottle I wish I could find something cheaper to replace it but end up keep coming back to it cuz nothing is as nearly amazing as this foundation. Highly recommended!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/27/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

This isn't bad, but I don't see anything about it so great to justify the price. Applied lightly, the coverage is not enough for me, and if I build it up, it's quite cakey, even with primer. Maybe if you have totally flawless skin and have the most perfect color match it will look good, but on me it looks kind of artificial. I might give it a try again one day if my skin gets in better shape, but for now I just can't see what all the hype is about. Surely there are cheaper, light coverage foundations for the lucky folks who don't have any blemishes to conceal.

Pros: No SPF so I'm assuming it won't cause flashback (or lessen the effectiveness of your sunscreen), and it goes on easily unlike some thick cream and mineral foundations.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by seven12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received a sample of this foundation from Nordstrom in shade 5. I am currently nc25 (thanks to Clarins self tanner; normal shade is nc20). I hesitated to use it, because the color looked too dark.

Shade 5 is actually a good match for nc25. This is a peachy foundation. It is not overly pink, beige or yellow. I find it to be very flattering to my complexion. I applied it using my fingers only where needed. Because the foundation is sort of thin and liquidy, it is easy to blend with fingers and sets quickly. It doesn't have much "slip" to it, which is something I personally love, because I am not a fan of silicone-heavy formulas. My skin is dry, and this foundation dries matte on my skin, without looking dull or ashy.

What really sold me on this foundation is how well it photographs. It's "my skin but better" makeup. It's not a heavy foundation (it's actually extremely lightweight), so it doesn't give the appearance of poreless, airbrushed, mannequin skin. It looks like real skin, from far away and up close, but it makes skin look better: brighter, smoother, more even. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it. It definitely doesn't settle into fine lines or pores, but doesn't exactly make them disappear either. I would highly recommend this foundation to brides or anyone who will be photographed. Even at the end of the day, when my redness starts breaking through, this foundation still makes my less-than-perfect skin look amazing in pics. For that reason alone, I will probably buy this foundation, even though the price is ridiculous.