April 18, 2014 | 933 users online

Treatments - Nexxus - Emergencee Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2007 5:57:00 AM More reviews by luxliving

I just purchased this. I'm African American and just relaxed my hair for the first time again after a year long hiatus (no chemicals on hair). I used a weave to grow my hair out and get it back healthy again. I was torn between keeping my hair natural and getting a relaxer again. In the end I decided to relax just for more versatility and manageability and because it's just what I am used to. I plan to take 'breaks' from chemicals twice per year (12 weeks at a time) with weaves. Weaves REALLY do help to grow out hair if you have a great stylist and take good care of your hair (don't get it too tight..keep your own hair moisturized and scalp cleansed). My hair was near my ear when I got one in for the first time last year and now it's below my shoulders! Healthy and beautiful.

Anyway, I was told by my stylist to do a protein treatment with my first wash (post relaxer) this week and she recommended the Emergencee from Nexxus. I was told that it's good to do the protein treatment once per month to keep my hair healthy and growing. I'm so happy to have read all of the reviews here.
AA women, it is possible for us to have long, healthy hair of our own. Just take good care of the hair you have whether it's natural or relaxed (we look beautiful either way). Get relaxers every 8-10 weeks only (NOT SOONER). Get good moisturizing products for your hair and scalp. Take breaks from relaxers a couple of times per year by using braids, weaves, or other 'protective' styles that will not require you to have to touch your own hair daily.

Anyway, I look forward to posting my review on the emergencee and will update soon.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2007 8:54:00 PM More reviews by itismonica

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh, I love this stuff!!! I love to color my hair and do so much damage to it, that I am often shocked I still have hair left. I do this treatment at least 1x a month and what a difference. Well worth the investment. A 3.3oz bottle will last a few months. I'm not a huge fan of all Nexxus products but this one has a follower (me!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2007 10:01:00 PM More reviews by kdeichsel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My dried, damaged, frizzy hair feels hydrated again. I bleach my hair and colour with at home-colour constantly so i didn't really believe that this product would work so well. I deserve a spanking for not trusting the MUA users - great reviews, for a great product.

I've used this 5 times, and the whole bottle is almost gone (100 ml), but i wanted to use it quite a bit before bleaching and will continue with only once before colourings the next time. I follow this up with biolage hydrating shampoo and conditioning balm, which smells great and works for my hair. I dont see anything SUPER special about the shampoo, but totally, and completely LOVE the hydrating balm.

Price? Ebay. I bought 6 bottles on ebay for 31.00 US + 7.00 shipping - 38.00 in total. Personally, i thought it was a fabulous deal, and definitely have enough to last me atleast 2 years.

A total winner!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2007 1:31:00 PM More reviews by pentel450

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Emergencee is a lifesaver!!! A month ago, I decided to perm my already dyed and highlighted hair (I've been dyeing and highlighting my hair for years and my last highlighting session was particularly hard on my hair). Needless to say, the results were disasterous. It was so horrible that the stylist felt forced to cut several inches away right after the perm because my hair was just so beyond repair. Some of you guys thought YOUR hair was damaged - but I'm guessing your hair would be considered "healthy" when compared to mine. It was VERY dry, brittle, porous, had that "mushy, spongy" feel when wet, and "crunched" when it was dry. Although I think my hair will never become "healthy" and normal again, this product got it as close to healthy as it's ever going to be. After using it twice, a week apart (I know the directions says to use every two weeks, I felt that my hair needed some extra treatment). I think the first time i used it, it just worked to strenghten my hair - i didn't see that much in extra moisture but i definitely felt that it was stronger. But the second time i used it - WOW. My hair actually felt hydrated for the first time since i permed my hair!!! it was soft and strong! I was amazed. Both times I left it in my hair for 20-30 minutes after shampooing. And then i deep conditioned with Aussie 3 minute DEEEP after washing it out. I didn't use the nexxus shampoo and conditioner per the directions but still used a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.

Emergencee worked better than any of the other deep conditioners that I bought in an attempt to save my hair. If i had only known about this before spending $$$$$$ on all those deep conditioners, i would have saved a lot of money and had much better hair.

I just wished that it was cheaper and came in bigger bottles. I know that some reviewers found really big bottles but i can't seem to find it anywhere! It's hard enough to find the small bottle (kmart, target, ulta, all did not have it). But for what it's done for my hair, i'd gladly pay $15 for the small bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2007 11:12:00 AM More reviews by selkieheart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best protein reconstructer that I have ever used!

Two weeks ago my long, platinum blonde hair was so dry, damaged and brittle that it was breaking and even after a flat iron it looked frizzy and course. I've always use good products on my hair- redken, kerastase, Biolage etc but my hair has been triple processed (that's bleached 3 times ladies, I like it white, lol), relaxed (which is soooooo bad, don't do it!), and heat styled (I always flat iron my hair) that I had pretty much given up on it ever looking good and I was just waiting for it to grow longer so I could hack it off : (

After the breakage started to occur I thought that I needed to at least try a protein reconstructor. I've used the redken antisnap before, but I had never tried Nexxus. So I got the Emergencee reconstructor as well as the super moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (therapee or whatever its called, it smells like pina coloda).

You are supposed to shampoo your hair, put on the reconstructor, leave it on for a few minutes, then shampoo again and then put on conditioner. Because protein treatments acually dry hair out you need to put that conditioner on for at least 10 minutes- if your hair is really fried, the longer the better. Like some of the other reviewers, I have also found that the reconstructor works even better the longer it's left on...20 minutes is great, then leave the conditioner on for another 20.

My results were miraculous! My hair went from looking like a dried out horses tail to being smooth, SOFT and shiny! My hair was sooooo soft, it was great! And I got a lot of comments on how great it looks!

Note: I also tried the reconstructor with Biolage moisture mask (their super deep conditioner, I can't remember the name) and it works EVEN BETTER with this stuff!!!! So try it girls!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2007 11:11:00 PM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

I really don't understand what the fuss is over this product. I don't really notice much of a difference after using it. If anything my hair is a little more lifeless. The Sulfonic Acid in this product is detrimental to hair as it will strip hair color. Wouldn't repurchase. **UPDATE:** Okay at first I used this without shampooing after. I only used conditioner afterwards which made my hair coated. I have used this twice in the past month or so and shampooed and contitioned afterwards with good results. My hair isn't as frizzy and is nice and shiny. I would repurchase after all. I don't notice any color fading afterwards, but this might be because I don't use it very often.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/5/2007 12:49:00 AM More reviews by damnemperess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I can't tell if this has improved my hair or not. I've switched conditioners and used a clear gloss, so I can tell if the noticable improvement has come from all these three things or just this one. What I have definitly noticed is that the gold demi-permanent I just put in my hair faded dramatically faster after using this. I think that you are supposed to use this product before coloring, not after and I advise everyone else to be warry of that. That being said, protein treatments are supposed to help you get even color when you do apply it, so I'll update when I have more information. And my hair does look better, wether from this or the other products.

*update* all my gold color has been strippped. I used a demi-perm, with heat, and used a clear gloss over it. I waited to wash my hair, and then washed my hair only two times both with cold water (except for when I did the nexxus). The color should have lasted a month at least. The only thing I can of is this had to be the nexxus......my hair is shiny, but the color is bad.

* The color problem was unquestionably from the nexus after dying my hair with the same product without the nexus and they using then nexus again, I know for a fact the only thing I changed was trying the emergencee again. If you have particulary difficult hair colors I suggest you stay away. Using a clear gloss helps a lot for shine, so if you need a better solution (although it won't help with breakage) use that instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2007 12:57:00 PM More reviews by ylrebmik7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I was disgusted with how my hair looked and felt after my last highlight. I have long hair that dries out. I bought this based on the reviews and I'm glad I did. I've used a ton of hair products, but don't recall using a reconstructor. I left this on for 15 minutes and followed up with Redken Smooth Down intensive conditioner. Although it's not dramatic, I definitely have noticed an improvemen tin how my hair looks and behaves. It is more manageable, healthier looking and feeling. I had a hard time finding this - CVS, Target, Beauty Brands didn't have it, finally found it at Walgreen's for around $10. I will continue using this every week or two with a quality conditioner. Another deep conditioner I recommend is L'oreal Ferio conditioner which is available at Sally's for around $6-7. Thanks for the recommendations on this reconstructor!
Update: This really gives my long, tangly, highlighted hair new life. I feel an immediate difference when rinsing. I will definitely be buying this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2007 1:15:00 PM More reviews by sgupta

I did not see any results. I hair is still falling for the root. I used it once thought. I did not cover with plastic wrap or gave any heat while using this product. I did not use nexxus shampoo and conditioner with this product. Is it important to use nexxus shampoo and condtioner with this product. I can't believe that I am so disappointed. I had high hopes for this stuff. I am willing to try this again. Please email me (sgupta72@hotmail.com), if I did something wrong with this product. Do I see result after using certain times?????left with more questions and disappointment. Please reply.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2007 6:01:00 AM More reviews by Sjjj2002

I do this treatment about once every 2 months or before I get my hair highlighted. This product without a doubt strengthens my hair and makes it incredibly soft and shiny. Just remember to use a deep conditioner afterwards. This is the best protein treatment I have found. It works wonders on my long blonde hair.