July 25, 2014 | 1155 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Ultra Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2007 8:41:00 PM More reviews by ladydog

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love it! Finally found the foundation that works for me. I have sensitive, oily skin with large pores. I put this on over Paula's
Choice Daily Mattifying Lotion SPF 15 and a little concealer. It is a great match for my skin, feels light as a feather, and blends so quickly and beautifully. It has a very creamy consistency, which I didn't expect with a power foundation. And great oil control!
I had almost given up being able to use a powder foundation (NO mineral makeup has ever worked for me, including MN). For reference, I've tried Lancome, Chanel, and various other high end powder foundations over the years, but they turned color, didn't have enough coverage, looked cakey, didn't hold back the oil, or irritated my skin. Yes, as mentioned in other reviews, the case it comes in is bulky and kind of old fashioned looking, but I can certainly live with the container considering that we're talking Holy Grail foundation (although it would be nice if the container is changed--maybe to the black and gold of many of the Luxivia products.)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2007 9:53:00 AM More reviews by ccdd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bought this yesterday, and I usually don't do reviews this early, but I had to! I love this powder! At first, the gaudy, large gold and white compact and the overpowering fragrance made me a little skeptical. But this morning I am wearing it and loving it so far! I have oily skin and the stick foundation I was using made me look like an oil slick by 10:00 am! Today I used the milani secret cover concealer over my hyperpigmentation and layered the powder under and over it! And wow, my skin looks more flawless than it has in a long time! And to me, the concealer is not even that good (still searching for my HG concealer). The fragrance disappears shortly after you put it on and so far so good. Coverage is actually quite good as well if layered. I will update if anything changes as I use the product more, but as of now I plan on going to get a back-up next week!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2007 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Tina68

UPDATE: 26 August 07: I've been using this for the past several weeks and I find it gets cakey on me, expecially if it's humid outside. I also noticed the colour changes on my skin and becomes more pink which looks unnatural to me. For that I'm not sure I will repurchase, but may in the cooler months to see if it performs better.

I like this powder a lot. I have it in Ultra Buff. It is a good match to my skin. When I'm wearing it, it looks like my skin, but better. All my imperfections seem to disappear and stay that way for hours. It doesn't cake or sink into my pores making them look huge and it is the best powder I've used, thus far, to control oil and shine. When I do have shine break through my face doesn't look oily, but dewy if you know what I mean. I don't use the sponge to apply this powder, but use my kabuki brush instead. This powder is not heavy or masklike. I've been using it for three weeks and no breakouts. I think this has replaced my Px Anywear powder. I know a lot of people don't like the case this powder comes in and I have to admit the pearl and gold is not my favourite look, but I don't care. This stuff works. And for the record, my skin is oily and acne-prone.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2007 1:18:00 PM More reviews by charry2006

This one might be my HG for powder foundation. I bought this at my local MN studio. This really won't irritate my skin because I have sensitive oily skin. It keeps the oil under control. I noticed that it won't make my skin red even under the heat of the sun, even beats Clinique powder. Will definitely buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2007 11:21:00 AM More reviews by sarahannej

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this powder foundation for over 10 years. I love it. I have combination skin and it works beautifully. I use the powder alone when I want a more natural look (for work or just around the house) and I use it over liquid foundation as a powder when I am going out or when my skin looks bad. The application of this product is flawless and doesn't need a whole lot of blending. I love the coverage this product provides. I can't imagine ever switching to another product. My girlfriends that have seen me use it over the years...now use and love it too! Can't recommend it enough. I LOVE IT! My only complaint, really isn't a complaint but I do think a package redesign would be good. I love the big mirror and the large compact but it does look a bit cheesy- pearl/gold.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2007 9:36:00 PM More reviews by disneyfan

This is the absolute best powder foundation I've ever used. I had been using philosophy's supernatural mineral foundation but didn't think the oil control was sufficient enough for me. I happened to remember that I had about 1/2 of a compact left of this that I took with me on vacation last year and pulled it out. I wears beautifully! The coverage can go from very sheer all the way to full coverage depending on how much you apply. I have used both the sponge that comes with it & my Chanel kabuki brush to apply. I think I prefer the sponge. It controls my oily shine better than anything I've used and does not look cakey or heavy at all. Overall a great product at a very reasonable price. I have since ran out and had to replace. $23.95 at the local Merle Norman studio. Would definitely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2007 5:36:00 PM More reviews by aileen06

all i can say is this powder is too cakey, and the smell is just terrible. all in all it was an okay powder nothing special, but i could never get over the smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2007 11:03:00 PM More reviews by robynethridge

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this powder foundation for years. The only complaints I have is that it could look pretty cakey at times on me. I have very oily skin and I liked the fact that it is a powder and seemed to not make my skin look as oily. It also had pretty good coverage, but unless I was careful and put it on very light it would get kinda cakey and didn't look completely natural. My sister still uses this product and it looks terrific on her!

Now I use Mary Kay powder foundation and it is lighter and doesn't have as good of coverage but it looks very natural. It is also cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2007 1:18:00 PM More reviews by dandelion

Another purchase based on MUA reviews and am so happy that I did. This is the best foundation that I've used and I have already repurchased twice.

I was using MUFE powder foundation and lightest shade was too dark and went a bit orange on me. I am extremely pale and can never find a shade light enough and found that in the summer the second lightest shade Cameo is a great match. For winter I switched to the lightest shade Fair and it is a perfect match.

There is a fragrance to this but I don't notice any smell once I put it on. This lasts all day on me with a touch up of Clean and Clear powder. This is definitely a HG for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2007 3:36:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Recently, I became curious about this brand after reminiscing about my makeover at a Merle Norman studio when I was a teenager a million years ago. It was the 80's and everything was big and gaudy, including the makeup. At the time, I came out of that makeover looking like I couldn't make the cut as a Dynasty cast member. I began to wonder if things had changed with Merle Norman and if they had any decent products I was missing out on now. Off to read reviews this foundation sounded so tempting to me so I rolled the dice on ebay and won it for next to nothing. I love it! I am 42, I have very good normal/dry skin. some of my favorite foundations are Stephane Marais, Neutrogena healthy skin enhancer, Elizabeth Arden Mousse LP cellular radiance and the caviar one, Awakes skin renovation, Becca's LSE , Diorskin pefect light and Kevyn Aucoins SSE. So I've tried a lot and I pronounce this one a winner. It's not as dewy as I expected but it is lovely on. Not at all greasy, probably medium coverage but not at all masky or noticeable. It evens me out and with a primer on my nose, chin and forehead it lasts all day. I was incredibly lucky to get a perfect match by purely guessing. I am an NW20 on the very light end and I wear this in Cream. This is luxurious and gives a really beautiful soft focus look to my skin. I love it.