August 21, 2014 | 1803 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Update 1/1/13 -- I keep trying to work with this, thinking "this time it will work," and each time my eyes wind up looking muddy, patchy and dirty.

Honestly I've worn nothing but matte shadows for close to 20 years, have every palate imaginable, and this is simply really crappy shadow.

Pros:

Colors look pretty in the pan.

Cons:

- They look nothing on your skin like they do in the pan
- They do not blend well, no matter what brush you use
- They do not look smooth or consistent, no matter how you prime your lids or what brush you use.

I get depressed every time I use them because I look horrible and think I must be losing my technique. Nope, they are just flat-out awful.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I may adjust my review over time, but as someone who immediately buys every neutral matte palate out there, I'm not in love.

The shadows are heavily pigmented (plus) but they also go on heavy, and it was a little tough to buff the darker colors down to get a natural look without making the coverage look blotchy. And I can't believe I'm saying this, because i love taupe palates and always complain when neutral shadows are too warm, but these colors are a little grey. They even look a bit ashen on my skin which has lots of red undertones.

On the low price end I still prefer Physicians Formula Canyon Colors, which remains my day-to-day go-to shadow and is a lot easier to work with. And I hate to sound like a broken record but on the high end you just can't beat Chanel.

I do give it a lippie higher than I would otherwise for including a higher ratio of light to dark colors than most palates do. I can't count the number of shadows I've thrown out when the light color is all gone and I've barely made a dent in the darks.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 12:11:00 PM More reviews by stimwink1

First let me state I am a HUGE urban Decay fan. I have serveral pallets but one thing UD is not great at are the mattes. So I did flinch a little at the $27 price but I do love this product not only on it's own as a natural eye but to use in conjunction with the other 3 naked pallets and Vice 2 as blending shades.

The packaging is sturdy so it' great for travel. Not metal like Naked 2 & 3 but plastic. There is no brush nor room to stow a brush so you'll need to bring your brushes with this one if you want it on the go.

The consistancy is the same as the other UD shadows so you get a creamy feel, they blend wonderful. It is not going to be like a naked pallets with tons of combos. It is what it says a basic Nutral pallet, However, the colors are very pigmented for me and i don't need a ton of product so I expect to have this puppy a while.

Two thumbs up for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by BeccahH

I got this, but ended up sending it back. The eyeshadows are great quality, but they just want too much money for what this is. L'Oreal also owns UD, so I'm sure that some dupes could be had in their line, at more affordable drug store pricing. If not, look to NYX's Nude Matte's line.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 9:52:00 AM More reviews by Elena1981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Probably it is one of the best combination of neutral matte eye shades that is on the market nowadays. It has such shades that can pass to anyone, no matter if you have blue, green or brown eyes. Moreover, you can create different looks from natural every day make up to smoky evening make up. I personally find this palette very practical.
The eye shadows are highly pigmented, easy to blend, have a decent staying power even if used without any eye shadow primer. The only thing you have to be careful while applying the darkest eye shadows (Crave and Faint), as they may dust a little bit. So I always tap the excess eye shadows off the brush. But overall, they all have a nice velvety texture.
"Venus" is the only shade that is not matte, I always use it as a highlighter, either in the inner corner of the eyes or in the middle of the lid on top of another eye shadow to highlight the colour and make the eyes look brighter.
"Foxy" is a perfect base colour. It lightens a bit the eyelids and gives a good base for applying other eye shadows on top of it. It gives matte ivory finish.
"Walk of shame"- I always use it under the eyebrows or when blending the edges of darker eye shadows in the crease. It is paler that "Foxy" and can be used also as a matte highlighter.
"Naked 2" - can be used in different ways, depends what kind of look you want to achieve. Mostly I apply it either all over the eyelid for a day make up or just in the inner corner of the eye for evening make up. Great brownish-grey colour.
"Faint" - again can be used in different ways, I use it either on the outer corner of the eye and in the crease or all over the eyelid for smoky evening make up. Great shade for any eye colour.
"Crave" - black matte shade. I use it mostly instead of the eye liner or for different kind of evening make up looks.
The container is very stylish and has a good sized mirror inside. But at the same time it is small enough to put in a bag for touch-ups if needed.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by AlyaAbdel

I love this eyeshadow palette. Five of the colors are matte, with the exception of Venus which has a very subtle shimmer to it. I absolutely love that they are matte, I prefer that, as I believe it flatters most skin tones. This is my new go-to palette, the colors are very pigmented and go on very smooth! I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for six basic colors to add to their personal kit. Thank you, Urban Decay!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by harls321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

At first I wasn't impressed with this palette because I thought it was boring. Would work great for a neutral cat eye look but since I have hooded eyes I could never make that work. Then this morning I paired it with my favorite UD shadow in Roach and I was in love. I now look forward to trying it with other UD single shadows. It truly is a basics palette that will work beautifully for a variety of different looks.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2013 9:31:00 AM More reviews by Christac3698

Starting to review products again, and thought why not have my Basics palette as my first review since I do reach for it quite a bit!

This is a great everyday wear palette, that you can get a lot of looks out with just the colors in this palette and not having to pull from another palette/shawdow (although you can do that too becaue the colors are so neutral). I love the fact that all the colors are matte, I am a teacher and really don't like a lot of shimmer during the day. Great addition to any makeup collection. One con (which I don't think is a con, but annoys me anyway), is that the one color that I fell in love with as a base (Walk of Shame) is not available as a single shadow. :( That being said, I would gladly shell out the $18 USD for this shadow and can't and I am not going to buy another Basic palette because I still have so much color left in the other shadows.

Hopefully UD will make this available as a single shadow!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2013 8:12:00 AM More reviews by MissAtomic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I use this and the first NAKED palette on a daily basis. I loved the first NAKED palette because I mostly use neutrals for my day-to-day looks but I wished there were more matte colours. When I heard about this palette I almost cried from how excited I was, and upon getting it, I wasn't disappointed! The colours are very pigmented and so smooth and blendable! My mom was actually so impressed with this palette as well I had to go buy her one so she'd stop stealing mine. Every colour is usuable, which is almost a rarity in a palette! I definitely say it's something you need if you do vintage looks or if you use a lot of neutrals daily, it's literally perfect in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Jasperla

I really love the beautiful neutrals in this palette. I have been using this daily for four months, and its looks almost new. The shadows are very pigmented so a little goes a long way. However the staying power without a primer is not the best. It creases and melts off my lids within 5 hours. With a primer they last for up to 12 hours beautifully! I will be repurchasing!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by StupidUserNames

Everyday when I do my makeup this is the pallette I reach for all the time just like the name says basics that's what it is. It's easy to use great for day and night looks and just really versatile. The truth is I'm not crazy about this pallette at all it's just the pallette I use when I'm running late or I'm not feeling creative. I do like that it's mattes and they're simple and fast to use also when I just do a basic shadow with a cut crease I get so many compliments in my shadow which is good but I'm just not crazy about this pallette! I do recommend it to beginners and minimalists.