April 20, 2014 | 1753 users online

Liquid - Smashbox - Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Fdt.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

So far, I am REALLY loving this foundation, and it just might be my Summer HG. I have tried SO many long-wearing foundations over the last several months and all have either broken me out, irritated my skin, or I couldn't find a color match. So far this has done neither of those things and the shade 1.1 is a *perfect* match for me. For reference, I'm currently an NC15, or possibly between an NC15 and slightly toward NC20. While I'm super happy that it matches me, I'm also a little disappointed because that means in the winter when I go back to my NC10-15 paleness, this is definitely not going to match. If I continue to like it enough I may try mixing it with a white foundation during that time. I've had absolutely no itching or irritation bumps with this and no regular breakouts either. In fact, the existing ones I had (from other long-wearing foundations I've been testing) have been clearing up since I started using this.

Applying this foundation is super quick and easy. I've read that some people say it's thick and hard to blend but for me, that couldn't be further from the truth. It's easier to apply than MAC PLW or ELDW in my opinion. I only use a total of 1 pump for my whole face, applying one moderately thin layer first, then going back over the areas that need more coverage and I'm good to go. I use much less concealer when I use this foundation than I do with others, so I would say it gives nearly full coverage. The coverage is very similar to ELDW and MAC PLW, but looks more natural. It feels great on the skin and I don't feel like I'm wearing a thick mask made of glue or anything like that. I do use a setting powder with it just because I like the polished look it gives, and also because this does feel just a bit tacky after you apply it. So far it's lasted me from about 7:00am until around 10:00pm when I wash my face before bed, with NO touch-ups, blotting, or powdering. That's very impressive, considering it's been in the upper 90s here lately, and the a/c in my car is broken (and I run a lot of errands during the day for work so I'm driving quite a bit). So far I've used my fingers and my Sonia Kashuk flat top brush to apply. Both work very well but I prefer using my fingers. I've also been using oils to remove it at night to make sure I get it all off.

Other comments: As for the "hydrating" properties I can't say for sure. I have normal skin but it dries out fairly easily. It usually takes a week or so for a foundation to start drying it out if it's going to but I can say that so far, I definitely don't have any new dry areas or anything like that. The packaging is very nice. I do love the nice glass bottle and the fact that it has a pump. I wish however that the cap and pump part wasn't made of that matte black stuff that just ends up looking dirty when the foundation gets on it, like the NARS caps. Not a big deal by any means though. And as another review said, it's as if the nozzle where the foundation dispenses was placed too close to the neck of the pump, so it's more like the foundation kind of runs down onto the neck rather than dispensing out onto your fingers. But again, by no means a dealbreaker. I don't detect any scent with this one, which is really nice. Price is $42, and at this point I do feel this product is well worth it. I will update once I've used it consistantly for a week or two. :) So far, my only complaint is that it doesn't come in lighter shades for us really pale people so we can use it year 'round (or so we can use it at all, for those who don't do any method of tanning). :(

ETA: I just wanted to edit my review to say that this foundation DOES match me in the winter when I'm at my most pale. It actually matches me very well. I still think it's a beautiful foundation and I still love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2012 1:40:00 PM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my second choice in foundations, after HG ELDW. Actually, what differentiate them is the coverage and lasting power, Smashbox having a little bit less coverage and tends to disappear faster than DW.
Otherwise, it's just as good.
It does cover, I'd say medium coverage (whereas DW is medium-full).
And it is good for my oily skin, with primer it lasts almost the whole day. I do need to blot twice/day though.
The finish is satiny on me, it looks very natural.
The transfer is minimal, and there is no scent.
Never broke me out.
So this is my choice for everyday foundation, while DW is for going out or for those times when I need to look my absolute best.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by Mel_C

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been on a new search for a long-wearing, great coverage foundation and this was one I recently sampled. The coverage is light to medium and buildable, but I really had to build it a lot to get the coverage I wanted. It never did fully cover my cheeks, the middle of my forehead, or my chin, no matter how many layers I applied (they tend to be a little red and need concealor). It seemed to apply smoothly. My face looked decent at home, but once I looked at my face in the light of my workplace, it was very mask-like. I'm sure that is due to the numerous layers I needed to get decent coverage. I have to say it is lasting pretty well, but that may be due to the amount I applied. I'm going to pass on this one, but I think if you only need lighter coverage, it may work for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by 54464

I am so disgruntled by the oiliness of my complexion, that it's frustrating at times. I'm still going through different foundations, I've been through about ten in the last year, but this foundation stands out.
When I got this product, I was excited, this finally might be the one. To my naive little mind, it seemed too good to be true. It was.
Overall, the color of this product is too orange.
I have oily skin and this did keep me matte for a good amount of time, and I must mention that my skin did look good in pictures.
It gave me a full coverage and looked rather nice in unnatural lighting like the house for instantce. Something about walking out into the sun screws with the foundations and makes it orange.
The product did not break me out.
The product went on nicely, and it looked nice.
The down side to this product is just the color, the way it won't match a white persons skin. It's too pigmented. The color just isn't right, I wish that SmashBox could just fix the colors, I honestly would buy it again if the colors were proper.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2012 4:13:00 PM More reviews by tigergirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Best liquid foundation I've EVER used and that says a lot! I've tried high-end like Guerlain Parure Extreme, Teint Idole Ultra and 24H, drugstore, EL Doublewear and the list goes on. They either broke me out badly, looked unnatural or settled into pores. I'm so acne-prone, the majority of skin care and makeup products cause cysts, even oil-free. I've been using this for several months now and I get absolutely no breakouts- in fact, my skin is clearer underneath.
-completely natural-looking
-fantastic wear, from 5am to 11pm
-no settling into pores or lines
-transfer-free and waterproof
-no breakouts
-pump bottle
-oil control
-buildable coverage
It's slightly too dark for my pale yellow skin, but it adjusts. I hope this is never discontinued, I love it so much.
UPDATE: Tragically, my skin changed when I went off birth control and became pregnant. This ended up breaking me out! Strange, after so long of no sensitivity with this. It was heartbreaking to give up on it, but what can you do?

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2012 7:16:00 PM More reviews by audreyhintz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product is absolutely AMAZING! Ive been using this product for over 2months now and Im hooked! One pump and that's all you need for flawless looking skin since it is medium to full coverage. I was previously using makeup forever HD foundation which sucked, literally melted off my face! Of course I wasnt totally happy about the 42$ price but it was totally worth it. The texture is is so lightweight and never looks cakey no matter how much you decide to put on. The SPF 10 is a plus too! I highly recommend this product if you want natural flawless looking skin :)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2012 12:26:00 PM More reviews by karinaFresh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was getting bored with Estee Lauder Double Wear and was intruiged by this foundation, it claims to last for 15 hours like double wear. So I thought I'd give it a shot. Honestly, it's just okay. It's a good foundation but it just doesn't compare to double wear for me. It actually looks really good on the skin - if my skin is prepped right, it gives my skin a beautiful glow and my skin looks very healthy.

TEXTURE:
It is not thin or too thick, but it is more thick then thin, it's not very runny. It feels to me almost gel-like. It's very smooth, easy to blend but I almost feel as if it just sits on top of the skin but doesn't adhere or set all that well. It definitely feels a little tacky after you've applied it, i recommend setting this with a powder because it doesn't fully dry it always stays a little tacky.

FINISH:
It has a beautiful finish very smooth, even, glowy not too drying, almost a tad moisturizing. It really fills in lines & pores pretty darn well (I'm guessing this has a lot of silicones in it) I applied it with my Sigma F80 brush. It's not too heavy but sometimes I actually found it to feel a little more makeup-y then double wear at times. It's not dewy, more of a satin finish. It has very good coverage (I have some acne bumps, & a little acne scars) I don't need to use a concealer with this & it's very buildable.

WEAR:
It's definitely not as good in the wear department as much as double wear. It stays long set with a powder so it's long lasting, again, just not as well as double wear. It's not transfer or smudge resistant it will transfer on clothes if you rub it but it is water-resistant. It's oil-control isn't as good either, I guess because it doesn't really have that matte of a finish. This foundation also oxidizes on me like Revlon colorstay. It gets pretty orange.

OVERALL:
Nice finish & texture but the wear power & oil-control could be better, also the shades are horrible, they're wayy too yellow & orange. I'm only part asian so I guess my undertones are more of a warm-neutral (I used shade 3.1 - still pretty orange) it made my skin look really nice initially but I'm just going to stick to double wear.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2012 4:24:00 AM More reviews by Hedd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this foundation from a recommendation of a Sephora employee. I was actually interested in another product but she said this would be better. I was kind of put off by this foundation because of the color selection.The colors are nice for light, medium and dark skintones. The colors tanned skintones (like myself) looked a tad on the orange side. The SA matched me to a 3.1. I tried it for a couple of days and ended up returning it because it: faded as the day progressed, made me really oily, and turned orange.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2012 4:13:00 PM More reviews by MMarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been testing this for a couple months now and now purchased a full size bottle. I am wearing 2.1 shade and am NW20-25. I find this foundation lasts on my face all day but i do wear a mattifying Asian spf underneath. This is a build able foundation. I apply it with my fingers and a little bit goes a long way. It is not heavy feeling going on and does not get heavy feeling as time goes on, if that makes since. It does just as good of a job controlling my oilies as EL DW perhaps even better. I do have to blot about once a day and summer it will probably be a couple times but the foundation does not budge and I just reapply a bit of MAC Blot over the top in my oily t-zone area. It is also unscented and the bottle comes with a lovely pump. You have control of how much comes out which is a plus too. I would get sampled to find your correct shade before you purchase if you can. It took the SA 3 different sample shades till I finally figured it out myself.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2012 5:09:00 PM More reviews by Sobriquet20062

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've had this product for a few months now. When I first got a sample, I loved it. I then went through a period where I hated it. It didn't seem to offer the coverage I wanted and looked blotchy. However, I now think I've perfected the application and really enjoy the product.

What I've found works best is to use a sponge and apply one pump all over the face first. At this point, the coverage looks terrible but you have a base to work with. I then use a stippling brush and use another pump over the areas I need extra coverage, using a light stippling/slightly circular motion to blend. The second layer doesn't look cakey but it is somewhat sticky when you're done. I set with a very light swirl of MAC Skinfinish Natural and the feel and look is amazing!

The colour selection for this foundation is great for yellow undertones. I found several shades that I could make work for my skin depending on level of tan and none of them looked pinky at all. For reference, I usually use Shiseido's Sun Protection Foundation and am SP 60/70. while I love that foundation, the colour selection just doesn't work for me and the closest match is too pinky and looks like a mask because of it. With the Studio Skin, I am able to find a colour that looks just like my bare skin but better.

Overall, if you haven't been impressed with the coverage, I recommend you try out some different ways of layering and set with a powder applied with a light hand.