November 22, 2014 | 983 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

I'm going to review each brush in detail. Overall this is a great set of brushes, the Real Techniques brushes are designed to be multi-purpose so you can use them any which way you want. All of the brushes have luxuriously soft bristles, the feeling of them against your skin is lovely! The Core Collection cost me £21.99, which dived by 4 is £5.50 a brush Ė such a tremendous bargain!

Contour Brush

This brush is the baby sister of the Blush brush. It has the same domed head, the same tapered end with super-soft dense bristles.
I use this for precise placement of my Dior Amber Diamond highlighter, and also for application of my Soleil Tan De Chanel Ė Iíd rather stick my Sigma F84 for cream products though. The bristles pick up plenty of product, but itís not my favourite brush for contouring with Ė I prefer my Bdellium tools contour brush.

Pointed Foundation Brush

This brush is the least used out of the set, I think it would take me longer time to apply and blend my foundation with this brush. I do use it for cream contouring though, and it does the job!

Detailer Brush

Iíve wanted a lip brush for ages, I believe that when you were brighter colours or red lipstick, your pout should be precisely defined. The detailer brush is brilliant for applying bright lipstick to your lips, you can get an even coating and get right into the corners and cupidís bow of your lips thanks to the rounded tip. It keeps itís shape after washing too.

Buffing Brush

The Buffing brush is great. Itís a medium-sized brush, with round bristles around the edge and a flat top. The Buffing brush can also be used for powder and blush/bronzer application, but I have brushes that already work well for those applications. I would most definitely purchase this brush as a back-up, annoyingly it is only available for purchase in the set Ė really hope this changes soon.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by deadonarrivals

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This kit proves that you don't need fancy expensive brushes to do the job. I can't see why anyone would want to spend money on Hakuhodo, Chanel, Trish McEvoy or MAC unless you personally feel good inside from buying highend brushes. I do have experience with various brands and find this core collection by Real Techniques to be good in quality and every brush in this kit is very useful. The bristles are soft and dense in each brush. I experienced real good color payoff from using these brushes. I've washed this kit three times and have not experienced any shedding. The kit comes with a Detailer brush which I personally like using to apply under eye corrector because it tapers at the tip and allows me to get right up close inside my tear ducts. Also there is a Foundation brush that at first thought would be too small because I'm used to larger brushes but this one does a better job. I am able to get right in the corners of my nose and around my hairline much easier with this size brush. Next, is a Blush brush that is domed and again, smaller than what I'm used to but this brush packs a punch! I find it picks up color wonderfully and I notice that I need less product when using this particular blush brush. If you are going to you use brush for cream blushes, I would recommend sheering the blush out with your fingers after. Lastly, is a Face/powder brush which is pretty universal for many tasks. I use this for highlighers, bronzers, face powders. Overall, a real good kit for everyone. The only con is the case which I found to be super cheap and poor quality. I tossed it in the trash.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 9:50:00 AM More reviews by akatrene

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've had this set for 3 weeks only and these have replaced most of my brushes that I was using. GREAT price! The buffing brush I use mostly for powder to set my foundation. I use it for liquid foundation as well. Works great for a more sheerer application of liquid foundation. The detailer brush I don't use though. The contour brush is great for getting into the hollows of my cheeks followed with the buffing brush to blend it out. The pointed foundation brush I don't use for foundation though I do use it almost every day. I use it for applying eyeshadow all over my lid. I was using Mac 275 but I find it to scratchy. This brush is sooo soft. They all are! I love the case. Since I use liquid foundation the brush gets washed daily. I use the case as a stand and store washed brushes upside down. The case is perfect for drying brushes. Picked up this trick from a youtuber. Highly recommend these brushes!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2013 8:09:00 PM More reviews by cjsmommasan

Simply gorgeous, soft, wonderful brushes.

Carry case is a tad cheapy but I love the brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 8:03:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

Really love this set, it is literally perfect if you are just starting out with make up tools and you aren't too sure what you are doing. My favourite brush in the set is the buffing brush, because I find that when applying a liquid foundation with the concealer brush I had a few little brush marks on my face that I couldn't shift, but with the buffing brush it smoothed everything out leaving my make up looking very flawless. I am very much in love with it! I also like the concealer brush as its quite small and its easy to blend concealer in with. The contouring brush works well with my bronzers and highlighters and makes for very effortless application. Very pleased with these, well worth a look for anyone who hasn't tried them yet!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 4:29:00 AM More reviews by Mocksoup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this set. They work great!
I use the concealer brush as a lip brush.
I use the buffing brush with powder foundation. Works amazingly.
I don't really use the contouring brush often, because I bought another one from RT, and I don't need it. But it's good for between washes or when I am using a LOT of face products like illuminator, blush plus bronzer and setting powder.
The pointed foundation brush works great for concealer under the eyes, I bought another foundation brush from RT that I use more often.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2013 4:27:00 PM More reviews by jersey18

I love these brushes! I love doing makeup properly, on myself and on other people, so I wanted decent brushes. They are really comfortable to use, the buffing brush is great for applying foundation, and the blusher brush is brilliant!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 7:52:00 AM More reviews by Sweryn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a lovely collection of brushes that are very handy for your everyday makeup. They help you achieve a perfect face makeup and are very easy to use. They also feel very luxurious and the handles are very sturdy and elegant ;)

I like the fact that they come in a practical case so you can keep them better protected. They are very easy to clean and they look like new even after washing them countless times! I got this online so it was cheaper than in my local makeup store.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by kaq009

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love these brushes and have been waiting a very long time to get them as we don't have them here in Canada yet. My sis-in-law went to San Diego and got these for me and I'm forever grateful. The buffing brush alone is worth double the price of the entire collection. I've been using it to apply my MAC Face & Body and its amazing. It buffs the foundation so well in your skin its as if you're using your hands. I'm really clumsy with applying makeup and prefer to use brushes over my hands if I can help it. I use the precision foundation brush for concealer and the contour brush for applying powder blush. I haven't really found any use for the detailer brush but have read that it works well as a lip brush and will try that out soon. I'll definitely be asking my sis-in-law to get me another set when she goes back to San Diego so I can have another of the buffing brush. Really awesome quality brushes for dirt cheap. Samantha Chapman is a goddess.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by frckls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this in a swap and brand new from a lovely lady here in MUA. (*wave* you know who you are! :D)

I really love this set. The bristles are oh-so-soft. It picks up product amazingly and does not absorb too much products as other brushes tend to do. They also dry super-fast after washing. They don't bleed or shed, either. Wow.

Buffing brush: it really buffs my Lucy Minerals foundation perfectly into my skin, there is no trace left of patchy or obvious looking foundation on my skin. Although the head is smaller, I don't find it takes longer to apply foundation, and the size is perfect for blush application, too, and contouring in a pinch.

Contour brush: love this!! it fits perfectly to my cheek hollows, just right for the side of nose. it blends the contouring products beautifully, too. plus, it can also be used to highlight and apply blushes. score!

Pointed Foundation brush: i don't really use liquid foundation/base, plus i thought at first the size is too small. however, i find this perfect to apply and blend concealers and fits perfectly under the eyes. even when i use Lucy Minerals dry as concealer. and trust me, Lucy is a tricky one to please. ;) you usually need to buff it into the skin real good, but with this brush, there was not even a sign of streak or patchiness. serious magic.

Detailer brush: i haven't found so many use out of this, since i use the foundation brush for concealers as i need to conceal quite some large areas rather than spots. i rarely apply lip products with brush, too. but i've tried applying colors to lower lashline using this brush and it's pretty great.

Panoramic case: this is sheer genius and perfect for traveling. i can fit all my brushes (except for the obese EcoTools Bronzer Brush and TBS Mineral Powder Brush) into this. well, i really don't have that many brush since i only keep what i use. i think with the 4 brushes from the original set, i added MAC 187SE and 4-5 eye brushes. For traveling, i removed the other brushes and put in my brow pencil, eyeliners, eyebrushes, illuminator and foundation (i put them in small pump tubes) and cream stick blush. only need a tiny pouch for powders and my Unii. it fits EVERYTHING. cannot be happier.

Definitely repurchase if they start to fall apart. But I really hope they never will!