October 31, 2014 | 1376 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Olay - Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2012 10:36:00 AM More reviews by msjoannabanana

I just looked in the mirror at my skin and immediately had to come write this review. This brush has completely annihilated an awful cystic acne breakout on my chin/mouth area that i have been trying to get rid of for the better part of 6 months.

I do not use this with the cleanser it comes with, I use it with my HG salicyclic acid face wash by Clean and Clear. I use it twice a day and have not found it to be irritating or drying--my skin seems much less oily in general and baby soft since I started using the Pro-X.

Just had my period and did get 2-3 zits which is half of what I would normally see during that time of the month and now, 2 days after my period ended, they are almost all gone.

Can't see how the Clarisonic could possibly give better results because my results are already perfect! This is clearing up my blackheads and I feel like it is speeding up the fading of acne scars, though I will definitely need to seek out a product just for that once my face is 100% clear.

Putting the batteries in is majorly annoying, but worth it. If you've been looking for a solution for clear skin...for me this was it.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Not too harsh on my sensitive/early rosacea skin. Two speeds. Helps me with exfoliating, where most scrubs irritate me too much. Reasonable price.

CONS: (See alternates regarding deeper-level stimulation you can get from the Clarisonic.) The battery compartment is ridiculously hard to get into. Had to use the end of my scissors to pry it off, and I was afraid I would break it at any second.

USAGE TIPS: For my very sensitive skin, I don't leave it long on each spot of skin, and I use it on the low speed. And I only use it at night.

ALTERNATES: I have this and the Clarisonic, and this is much better for my sensitive skin (even using the Clarisonic's most gentle brush that's name is "delicate.") I can see how some may prefer the Clarisonic for really vibrating/deep-stimulating the skin. There is some deep-level vibration with this one too, just not as much.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Monseter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Been dealing with this nasty thing called "milia" and I've taken antibiotics and steroids to get rid of these whitehead looking things all over my grill. Anyway, I cheaped out on buying chemicals the doctor prescribed (one of the things was 500 bucks!) and my boyfriend suggested I just say f it and buy this.

LONG STORY SHORT, this thing definitely got rid of my face things and it's been clearing up my skin over the past two weeks. Feels horrible explaining my self diagnosed milia but I hope this helps out my fellow sensitive skinned ladies (or men)!

You don't necessarily have to stick with the olay cleanser provided, I've been switching back and fourth between the purpose cleanser which is really gentle and a tea-tree oil cleanser from the body shop.

If it irritates your skin, you're overdoing it by either spending too much time on one spot or not moving the brush fast enough.

On another note, I really believe this is an awesome small cheap dupe of the ever-so-popular clarisonic because honestly... who has 100+ bucks for a spinning brush?!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2012 8:40:00 AM More reviews by puggy1234

Well, I'm not going to repeat what other people have said here. I too refuse to spend 200$ on a cleaning product. I tried this instead of the Clarisonic. I adore this tool. ADORE IT. I have combination; oily/sensitive skin. I do not use it on my cheeks where I am really sensistive, and focus only on the areas of my face where I have break outs, and a little bit around my eyes. I love how my skin feels and looks. LOVE IT. This is 30$ very well spent.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by HillaryW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love my Olay Spin Brush! I bought it and used it for a while and loved it, so I decided to splurge on a Clarisonic. The Clarisonic just didn't compare to the Olay device on top of which, my Clarisonic's battery started to burn through the plastic, discoloring the area where you put the plug! Anyway, I had already decided to return it to Sephora anyway as I was not impressed. So I bought new brushes and resumed using my Olay Brush. I use a lot of products on my face including Tazorac %0.1 and beta hydroxy acid peel pads, but the Olay brush still doesn't irritate my skin (which believe it or not is sensitive). It effectively cleans away all of my make-up and if I do use a toner, the pad comes away clean. I don't use the Olay cleanser, I alternate between organic baby shampoo, M2 Mandelic acid cleanser and Liz Earle Hot Cloth cream cleanser (which works the best with this brush). I also have to mention that I get dandruff on my face and this brush helps keep it at bay. I just bought one for my mother-in-law for Christmas. Can't recommend it enough!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by Megan0509

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I never ever write reviews on items because generally they are never spectacular. I started using the Olay Pro X Advanced Cleaning System brush because I was on the verge of going to the dermatologist due to the fact that I have had a huge problem with cystic acne that refuses to go away. I have tried proactiv, cetaphil, panoxyl, and phisoderm with no relief what so ever. I decided to try Olay Pro X Clear, it helped but not what I was hoping for. I still had at least 5 cyctic acne spots daily not to mention my pores were HUGE! So before I ran to the dermatologist I decided to pick up the Pro X brush. I have been using it for a little over a week along with my Olay Pro X Clear and I have seen amazing results! My face is so much clearer, I have not had a cystic spot on my face since and my face has a more even tone with very few bumps and enlarged pores and my face is significantly less oily, I am so incredibly thrilled with how well this seems to be working. After my face started to clear up a little I decided to try taking fish oil pills as well as I heard that it helps with acne, and it seems that with my face wash, brush and fish oil pills I am finally beating this horrible condition I have been living with for 13 years. So if your at your wits end with acne and bumps all over your face, I would suggest trying it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2012 4:08:00 AM More reviews by littlepoppy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Like many others, I bought the Olay brush after researching the Clarisonic and not being able to justify the cost.

I have combination, acne prone skin which has been mostly under control in terms of breakouts for years, thanks to the pill. So I was mainly interested in a cleansing brush to see what it would do for my blackheads and the overall quality of my skin, as it can be quite dull, rather than needing it for breakouts.

I've been using the brush once a day (at night to remove makeup) for about a month, and in the first week I was absolutely amazed by how clean and smooth my skin felt. My makeup seemed to go on better than it ever has, and it was staying on throughout the day. I thought I'd found the answer to beautiful skin and was ready to tell everyone they needed to try it. I use it with Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser, and haven't tried the cleanser provided with the box.

In the past couple of weeks however, I've noticed a few red bumps and even some whiteheads in places I normally wouldn't have these issues. Any breakouts I get are usually around my chin or jaw, but these red spots are on my cheeks. I haven't had a problem in that area since I was a teenager and I haven't changed anything else about my skincare routine, so unfortunately it seems this is connected to the brush.

I've noticed now my skin also doesn't feel as 'clean' as it did when I first started using the brush. There hasn't been any change in my pores/blackheads, but I suppose it has only been a month and my blackheads have been a problem for over 10 years.

I will probably continue to use this brush once or twice a week, or any time I feel I need a deep clean. I'd recommend it as a trial, but I think results will vary quite a bit.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 1:04:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

I got this as a gift from my mom to help with my acne. At first I was in love and used it religiously. However, over time I found that I don't actually need it as much as I need the right cleanser, so I've eased off of it because I haven't been wearing makeup as much lately, and can get by with just my hands to cleanse. But when it comes to taking off makeup and keeping pores clean, I think it definitely works and will use it. I also avoid it if I'm badly broken out and sore, which lately is a lot. So overall I gave it a 4, but I don't know if I'd repurchase if I had to because of cost, but I'm glad I got it as a gift ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I went for a facial at a local spa, and the technician was trying to sell me the Clarisonic Mia 2 (I have sensitive skin) for almost $200. I balked at the price, and then recalled the Olay Pro X receiving good reviews on MUA. I bought it on sale at Shoppers for $25! And I'm so glad I did. I've never used the Clarisonic so I can't compare the two. I've been struggling with small clogged pores (whiteheads and blackheads) along my jaw line and lower cheeks for some time. I've been wary of exfoliating too much with scrubs as I have sensitive skin across my nose & cheek area. The spa tech told me I needed to exfoliate better and that would clear up my skin. So I started using the Pro X on the lowest speed setting about every 3 days, and have worked my way up to 5 times a week, once a day only. It works wonderfully to really deep clean your skin and slough off to get rid of blemishes. My skin has cleared up and looks smooth and glows! I'm very happy with it.
Pros are - it works gently but effectively, and cleans skin thoroughly. It does what it says. You can use it in the shower, and it's compact enough to not take up any room.
Cons are - the battery cover is so hard to come off, it was a pain. If I use it too much on my sensitive areas it does make them a bit red and irritated afterward, so I try to use it where I need it most and really don't go past the 60 seconds of use overall.
Also, I wish it came with a cap for the brush so it would allow for easy traveling. I go away alot for work and would have appreciated that feature.
Overall, I would highly recommend to anyone as a cheap yet effective tool. I would caution that sensitive skin should start slowly and see how you tolerate it. Using is only a few times a week or avoiding the areas of sensitivity would prevent any irritation.
EDIT - 10/06/13 - I'm dropping this down to 2 lippies. It irritates my sensitive skin and has caused broken capillaries. Also, it doesn't really get rid of the small bumps on my face, and hasn't reduced pore size at all.
I think I'll just splurge and buy myself the Clarisonic Mia for my birthday this year :)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 1:28:00 AM More reviews by mskdawson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been a MakeupAlley member for years, but I think this might be the first time I've felt strongly enough to comment about a product. I'm 29 and have basically had problems with acne on and off since I was a teenager.... I've always had at least a few pimples (and sometimes more than a few), and generally blotchy skin. I've had some luck with Benzaclin (a prescription med with benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin)--- it's the only medication that has actually made a significant difference with my skin. But the Olay Pro-x is making me realize that most of my skin problems all these years have probably been due to simply not cleaning the foundation off my skin properly before bed! It's kind of a revelation. No wonder I was breaking out! I was leaving makeup on my skin every night.

I've been using the Pro-x brush for about 3 weeks, and my skin has improved drastically. My routine is to rub cleanser (Kiehl's) into my face for a minute, and then add more cleanser before using the brush for a few minutes. When I'm done I put some benzaclin on (I'm needing less and less, my pimples are almost all gone) and moisturizer. In the morning I just wash my face and moisturize as usual.

In the first week or so, I got some new pimples on my chin--- I think I must have been purging, but they went away quickly, and right from the start the tiny clogs started to disappear and I noticed that my skin looked smoother. I still have some small bumps, but at this rate it really does seem like my skin will clear up completely if I continue using the Pro-x. I'll definitely buy a replacement brush when this one gets worn out. I highly recommend this for anyone with clog-prone skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No