August 28, 2014 | 1481 users online

Hair Treatments - Garnier - Blow Dry Perfector

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2010 9:29:00 PM More reviews by sruane

I thought it was just me or my hair, but after reading the other reviews here, I know it's the product. I used this a few days before a friend's wedding, since I would be away at the beach for about 4 days.

It smelled awful, but I wouldn't have cared about that if the results were good-they weren't. It made my waist length hair, which is wavy and had just been trimmed feel exactly like straw. I take good care of my hair and don't blow dry it more than once a month or color it. I was able to blow dry it ok and make it straight, but it felt awful. I feel lucky after reading other reviews that at this point (about 5 weeks later), my hair seems to be back to normal mostly. While this may work well for some people, I would be very hesitant to try it and I personally would never put this or anything like it on my hair ever again. If your hair is long or the least bit dry, this is something to probably avoid.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by rachelleanita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got this on a Buzz Campaign and wow I wish I had never tried it. My hair is long, virgin hair except for the last three inches which is what's left of my growing out my blond processed hair. It wasn't damaged, just processed. This product absolutely destroyed that part of my hair, as in a cotton candy fluffy sandpaper texture mess. Not only that, but this product was so impossible to comb through that no matter how gentle I was a lot of my hair ended up getting ripped out so now my hair is thinner,with breakage, and damaged, fried ends. It didn't even smooth down the healthy part of my hair, it just made it feel grimey and disgusting. I am so pissed off I tried this product, I have been working two years to grow out my hair to be healthy, thick, and natural again but now it's all screwed up and thinner. Screw you Garnier! UGH this is why I don't use drug store brands (except for Got2B Lustre Lotion, which is amazing).

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2010 6:35:00 PM More reviews by BlueEyezzMelissa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I will never buy this again. EVER. I wish I had looked at the reviews, too. It had been a month since coloring my hair, well past their 2 week window in the instructions. And it STRIPPED my hair of a lot of color. It looked SO horrible. :( My hair felt oily as well. I have medium to thick hair, somewhat coarse texture and slightly dry from time to time.
Granted, my hair was straightish the first 2 times I dried and straightened my hair, but if I worked a little harder and longer, I'd have the same effect with my usual styling cream.

DO NOT BUY THIS. It took me 2 weeks for my hair to feel back to normal.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by candyjrs

OMG, I was so excited to hear about this product. I have thick curly color treated hair. I normally just blow dry my hair and flat iron it and my hair gets pretty straight, but I wanted to try something that didnt damage my hair and gave me less blow dry time. After using this product my ends are fried and frizzy. Its funny because my hair actually looks better wet than blow dried. My hair was in better condition before and also it is so difficult to blow dry. There is a coating on my hair which makes it very difficult to blow dry. I wish I would of never used this product. The only straightner that ever worked for me was the brazilian straightner but it was 250 dollars. So I guess I will just continue to just flat iron my hair instead. I cant believe this actually worked on anyone. I guess you have to have almost virgin hair for it not to damage it. I dont recommend this product to anyone that has colored hair or highlighted hair like mine.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/26/2010 4:46:00 PM More reviews by arielmo

DO NOT USE THIS!!!!
I tried this yesterday and it totally fried my hair. I had to get an emergency hair cut as the ends were a trashed and almost looked bleached. My color is completely ruined, even though it has been 5 weeks since my last coloring. I also have to get that fixed now too. When I got my hair cut, the stylist remarked on how my hair was absoutley stripped of protein and had an almost elastic quality. She said that with reconstructor (I'm going to try Nexxus emergencee) it may take 3 months before my hair is back to normal. I take VERY good care of my hair and this is just devasting. The texture is so bad I want to wear a hat or a wig. I will be contacting Garnier CS.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2010 2:43:00 PM More reviews by trinidoodlebug

I am really surprised by the negative reviews of this product! My hair is shoulder length, highlighted and dry. I have a natural wave but prefer to straighten my hair with a flatiron. Using a flatiron almost everyday really contributes to the damage and frizz and I thought this product might help decrease styling time. When I was offered a sample through BzzAgent I was pretty excited.

As others have mentioned, it's a 2 step process. After shampooing (but not conditioning), you apply a clear, slightly viscous liquid to damp hair. This serum contains cysteine which is a mild relaxer used in Japan (thanks Allure!) plus thiol. It does smell. But it's not that bad, reminiscent of perm solution. Just use in a well-ventilated room. I wound up using a little less than 1/2 tube which was sufficient to saturate my hair without dripping. After 30 minutes (20 minutes is standard, but I went longer for "stubborn hair"), rinse THOUROUGHLY with water and then apply step 2 which is a leave-in conditioner with rice oil. Blow-drying "activates" the process although I imagine you could also air dry and use your flatiron to achieve the same result.

I found that my styling time was reduced. It did not take nearly as long to dry my hair as usual. My hair was definitely less frizzy and almost felt coated like I had just applied a silicone serum. I didn't notice any extra dryness from the procedure, but I regularly use coconut oil, argan oil, or camellia oil in my hair as a pre-shampoo treatment or leave-in. I put a few drops in my hair in the AM and that usually seems to negate any dryness. The effect lasted maybe through 4 shampoos. At first I noticed a little less wave in my hair but it returned to its former wavy, frizzy state after about 6 shampoos. There was no long term damage or change to my hair texture.

I was happy with the way my hair looked when using this product. I put yes for repurchase, but it's really a maybe. Initially, it's a time consuming process. Although my hair looked great, I can get my hair to look pretty good using my usual arsenal of serums. You are also not supposed to use this within 2 weeks of permanently coloring or relaxing your hair which decreases the window of opportunity to use it safely. I think this product would be great for women with unruly, frizzy hair that have real difficulties styling it. I would definitely use it again if I had a special event coming up or was going away somewhere.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2010 1:43:00 PM More reviews by steph11111

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, like a previous poster said, this stuff is NO joke!! No joke at all! Do yourself a favour and just step away from this product and walk away!!!! I usually like Garnier products, but I have no idea what they were smoking when they thought up this product..

I am one of the truly lucky ones who's hair did not melt off from using this product (thank god), but it has left a stringy, frizzy mess, which will have to be cut anyways... I thought it would be fun to have my hair sleek straight for a week (I don't straighten them all the time) especially during the hottest weeks of summer, when my hair tends to get really frizzy...

What I didn't expect was to get even MORE frizz than usual, and to top it off - my curls? Gone! Volume? Completely gone!!! And no amount of product can fix that... It's been almost a month of washing my hair daily, so there's no way that my hair will come back to normal now.

Horrible product, do yourselves a favour and just put a good balm in your hair and take the extra 5 minutes to blow dry it to perfection instead of using this stuff, because ultimately, the reason it provides "easier and faster blow dries" is this : it doesn't take very long to dry straw!!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2010 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Donnie130

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Hi I have to say first of all I just bought the product and was going to use it today as I dyed my hair two weeks ago.
Thank GOD I came here before I tried it, the $11.00 loss is bad enough but to have my hair start to break off would have depressed me to no end. I finished chemo a year ago, have been trying to grow my hair out. The texture has changed and I hoped this would help. It sounds to me as if this product is like the old hair straighteners, used back in the 60's to 70's by women with curly hair, which were the same ingredients as a perm minus the curlers. I thought this was something good for hair, like the Keratin Treatment only shorter acting. Thanks so much to those of you who have reviewed this product. I am trashing it.
D

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2010 10:22:00 PM More reviews by swanlake107

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is horrible! I have wavy hair a bit past my shoulders, and thought this would help smooth out my hair. It smells AWFUL! My hair STILL smells like rotten eggs and I sprayed a ton of perfume in it! My hair is actually frizzier, the ends look like straw! Worse than before. I followed the instruction perfectly too.Waste of money!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2010 10:54:00 AM More reviews by laranjada

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff IS NO JOKE. It might be great for someone who exclusively straightens their thick curly/wavy hair and wants to cut out some of that time blow drying/flat ironing. I used this product on my thick, curly (but not tight ringlets) hair and it made my hair a cinch to blow dry straight. Literally 20 minutes (which is unusual for me) my hair was very shiny and very, very straight. I don't like to wear my hair straight ALL the time and like the option of keeping it natural. After the first wash, my curls were a very strange wavy/straight texture that looked piecy and chunky. NO PRODUCT WILL HOLD in my hair now. It's almost like there's a thick residue blocking my hair. I've been using Neutrogena Anti-Residue to remove it to no avail. I'm on my 10th wash and my curls have not returned. I'm starting to think they won't? I'm very concerned and I regret using this 100%. I'm giving this a 3 because it's great for someone who wants to eliminate/minimize their curls altogether. Otherwise, stay away!!!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No