February 1, 2015 | 2115 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2011 7:06:00 PM More reviews by phoebe9797

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product from the amazing reviews it got alone. I could've been very disappointed but it lived up to all my expectations. I gave it a five star rating- as a mineral makeup- I would not give it such a high rating if it wasn't a mineral makeup. If your looking for a foundation and are worried about the chemical content, the clogging pores factors then this is for you. Although I did have to mix 2 shades for my perfect color, it is so incredibly easy to apply from the start. You need the smallest amount (this is crucial- don't treat this like any other mineral makeup, bare essentials etc.- it offers a much greater coverage and you will come out looking like a clown!) and just swirl over the face. You end up with flawless looking skin, quite matte but with a fresh clean glow to it. It lasts like this for the entire day and has fantastic staying power in varied weather conditions. This foundations comes as a relief to mineral makeup users like me who always thought that wearing mineral makeup needed to compromise my foundation coverage and the 'polished' look. Cheap too! The only criticism i have is that in Australia it takes about 2 months or longer to actually receive the foundation- shipping needn't take that long and would be great if they could sort that out, but it wont stop me from repurchasing.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2011 2:35:00 PM More reviews by bambilion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I started out with a few samples, and like many others who are pale with warm undertones i had to mix a few shades to get the perfect one. I have never used foundation before because my skin is prone to break outs and i just stuck with concealer and a light pressed powder, but i really did have issues trying to figure out how to use this foundation. However am a huge fan now. At first I applied too much then i had issues with it sliding off of my face (live in TN humidity is awful) but after purchasing the right brushes(ecotools) i really enjoy this foundation and the natural glow it gives. If you find yourself having issues make sure you always let your moisturizer/sunscreen dry all the way before applying that was one of my issues with it I have repurchased the full size and am contemplating some blushes now

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2011 3:27:00 PM More reviews by vivTL

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I cannot express how thankful I am to have found this product! So soft, natural and the coverage is amazing!

Appearance: I have a lot of scars so I always stayed clear of mineral foundation because they simply do not offer enough coverage, or if they do, itís after a lot of layers and then it looks cakey. This is not the case for LM! Itís just amazing how it looks, and how much you can put. I used it at first only when I had outdoor events because it looks natural and really covers everything. But now it replaced my daily foundation, Chanel Teint Innocent. I recommend layering it on rather than use it as a spot concealer because thatís when it gets weird, like the colors donít blend well anymore.

Lasting power: It lasts all day if I donít wear moisturizer (since I stopped using moisturizer in combo with LM, all my whiteheads are gone!!) but I do need to touch up during the evening. If I do wear moisturizer, it starts to smudge up around the nose.

Service: Prices are amazing and the customer service is the best ever! Annie is SO accommodating!

I would like to say to all of you who have acne-prone skin that you should really try out samples of this product because it is the only foundation that has not caused any pimples, I even slept with it a few nights (terrible, I know, but hey things happen!). Itís very gentle and all natural.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2011 5:47:00 PM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am so happy with this foundation! At first, I thought it made my face itchy, but it was actually the Retinol night cream I had started using that my skin was getting used to and I tried the Lucy Minerals at a bad time. So, once my skin calmed down, I tried the makeup again and I'm so glad I did because it's perfect. It provides some of the best coverage I've found in a mineral makeup and really controls oil. I have very oily, acne prone skin, so I need a lot of coverage and I need some form of oil control, otherwise my makeup will just clog my pores even more. Mineral makeup is notorious for being bad for oily skin. I've tried brands that actually make me even more oily!

However, Lucy minerals does all that it can to at least control the oil, rather than exacerbate it. My only complaint is that their color selection is very limited, especially for truly pale women. The Pale shade is ghost white and cool toned, so it looked horrible on me. I'm NC 15 and have a warm undertone. So, I blend my own color using 3/4 Cream and 1/4 Snow White. When I placed my order, I just told them what my blend is and they custom make it for you at no additional cost, which I think is great. This blend is the perfect color for me.

Plus, this brand also has constant specials and sales going on so you get great deals. I was shocked when I received my order today because the foundation containers and finishing powder containers are HUGE. They say it's 30grams but it's the same size as a 50 gram jar from another mineral makeup company I tried. This will last you a really, really long time.

I also love the ingredient list. I get so frustrated because with other MMU brands, as soon as they add some beneficial ingredients to the standard mineral base, they charge so much extra for it. But, Lucy Minerals adds their own unique blend of healing ingredients and doesn't increase the price of their product much at all. I feel that this reflects how much they care about their customers by offering something truly beneficial without making it unaffordable to people in these troubling economic times.

I also love the ambrosia lip balm, the Afterglow Blush, and the Ultimate Flat Top Buffer Brush and the Full Coverage Concealer Brush.

Now, the true test is to see if this makeup actually helps my acne prone skin. I know it doesn't exacerbate it from using the sample size, but only time will tell once I completely switch over to using only their makeup for a prolonged period of time. I'll update later.

Update: I'm changing my original 5 star rating to 3 stars. Maybe this product would be better with normal to dry skin types, but with oily skin, it transfers like crazy! It also pools up around the nose and separates. If you wear glasses or sunglasses and take them off, you're left with two big marks on each side of your nose where your glasses were and if you try to smeer the makeup around to make it even again, it doesn't look right. If it was pressed powder, I'd say carry it in your bag to do touch ups (which is still annoying, but doable), but it's loose and there's no way you could really touch it up in a hurry. In the long run, it doesn't really help with oily skin (the oil control formulas and finishing powder). It does nothing to help with acne (no reduction in size through out the day and smaller ones that are going away don't seem to be positively affected by using this makeup). It may even be exacerbating my acne-prone skin, I'm afraid. It also seems to make my face itch, like I initially thought it did and since I've stopped using the Retinol night cream, I can't blame that anymore. I've never had a mineral makeup make me overtly itch before, but this one does. I think it may not be the added ingredients, but is actually the mineral base itself. I'm bummed. I love the company, the owner is helpful, and the prices are great. Maybe in winter it would be a better foundation, but in summer, it's not an HG product. Oh, and for my NC 15 skin tone (warm), the pale olive (3/4 pale olive, 1/4 snow white) is a good shade for me, rather than the Cream and snow white. Hope this review helps.

****EDIT****After many months of trying to make this foundation work for me, it just doesn't. It definitely breaks me out and aggravates my skin and feels very heavy on. Also, the limited color selections are annoying to me. I've tried so many MMU brands that have offered shades that worked for my coloring, so I must not be a difficult person to match. But, their shades "as is" aren't light enough, except for Fair, which is ghost white and cool. When I do color blends, of 3/4 pale olve and 1/4 snow white, it's too pale.

I just sampled Lauress Ethereal Foundation and it covers like a dream and feels air light on my skin. I found my perfect match with the first sample try. Now, I just hope it doesn't break me out! I figured I'd share this with you all because MakeupAlley is how I found out about it, so I'm passing along the good news.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2011 5:23:00 AM More reviews by hespera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

i luv the coverage i hav acne scars so i need good coverage. ds powder on its own covers everdang 4 me. :) its cheap n it will last me a good six months. since i dont hav oily skin i realy dont gota do touchups n wit ds one it last all day till i wash it off n i dont gota do one touch up :D

rated 2 of 5 on 6/3/2011 12:54:00 PM More reviews by duploid

I ordered the Original and Light formulas. I too have the same problem as the reviewer below me even if I apply a thin layer with a blush brush or kabuki brush (Mask-like appearance, fine lines showing,skin patches, dry chalky look). I exfoliate and recently have strengthen my moisturizing. The culprit is high amounts of Zinc Oxide (and titanium dioxide too). I should have known...I have a half pound supply of cosmetic-grade zinc oxide that I no longer use on my face because it gave me the same poor effects. Zinc oxide is very creamy (like baby powder or cornstarch feel), but doesn't smooth out evenly on my skin. It gives that dreaded whitening effect. When it's moist, it's paste-like (just picture lifeguard white nose).
Lucy Minerals has good heavy coverage. It doesn't feel much like mineral make-up to me..more like tinted zinc oxide. I think the whitening of zinc oxide and possibly titanium oxide helps tone down redness, but the powder doesn't really stay put on my skin (when I really need to cover pimples. It mostly forms a thin ring around my pimples).
I also am envious of those who had great success with Lucy Minerals...I really wanted to like it since it had such few ingredients, seems to have sun protection, and there were many positive reviews. It didn't irritate my sensitive skin, but just looks awful on me. I must have really difficult skin to work with. I do not recommend this foundation to those with dehydrated, flaky skin that gets easily dry.
Though I do say Lucy Minerals offers foundation shades that I can work with (I'm light-skinned olive and yellow). I can't tell you the staying powder since I just had to wash if off immediately every time I put it on..I would be too embarrassed to go out in public like that. I also believe that you need some practice with Lucy Minerals foundations before going out.

For Lucy Minerals blushes, I would give a higher rating. The samples are generous and pretty good price $1.50 each including shipping for me.
**Update: Although I can't use this foundation all over my face, I find that it does an okay job as a spot concealer when my face is saturated with moisturizer/oil, and I apply the smallest amount with a good quality soft concealer brush. Maybe I'll retry it as an all-over foundation when my skin ever becomes less dehydrated.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/26/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by nomihappy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've only tried this in the original formula**

This just really did not work for me. I know a little goes a long way, but man, it is SO OBVIOUS and SO MASK-LIKE even when I use a teensy bit. It accentuates every pore and every fine line/skin patch. And mind you, I'm 21 and have oily skin, meaning I never knew I had fine lines until I used this foundation. I've tried; I really have. I've tried using different primers underneath, different sunscreens, exfoliating, different face washes, different moisturizers, over silica spheres, under silica spheres... Sigh. You get my drift.

I'm jealous of those of you who have found your HG foundation. If you're contemplating this, just try a sample! The brush, ultimate flat top buffer, is divine though :)

BTW, I'm putting my new one in Creamy Bisque and OCC finishing powder (complete with sifter sticker) up for swaps. The ones I opened and used were Golden Medium and original finishing powder. I'm more than happy to swap with someone who will use it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2011 11:01:00 PM More reviews by angelixia07

This review is for Lucy in the original formula, not the Light. I was really excited to try this after reading all the great reviews. EDM intensive in winged butter is my HG foundation, but no harm in trying out other stuff to see if its better. Lucy has better coverage than EDM even in the intensive formula. A little bit went a long way and I had to be careful to not get too much on the brush to prevent caking. It went on dryer than EDM. I have oily/dry skin and found Lucy to be less forgiving. My face looks dryer than with EDM and it was more prone to caking as well. Color wise, I am about NC 30 and EDM winged butter actually matches me best out of everything I've ever tried. I ordered all the shades in my range in samples from Lucy and none was close enough for my liking, nothing was yellow enough. I kept using it for about 2 weeks anyway, using 2 different shades. I put the lighter one on the center plane of the face and a darker one on the outsides/contour areas. Together, it gave the illusion of a
matching color plus some contouring benefits.

What really broke the deal for me and made me stop using it was that I noticed that my face itched a lot when I took it off at night and put on my skincare. Nothing else has changed in my skincare or makeup routine except this. I got worse and worse until I just stopped using it. I am not taking points off for it reacting with my skin since it might just be different for my skin. Overall, I think its pretty average for a mineral foundation. The coverage is good but it does go on dry and unforgiving.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2011 8:48:00 PM More reviews by giasabine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Combination skin, oily T-zone, sensitive, splotchy, prone to break-outs, and fair

I started some years back with Bare Escentuals and could never find a good match for my skin. I tried to mix some foundations to get a better match, but eventually gave up on it, when I realized that it slowly, but surely was causing whiteheads with me. Plus, it is pricey.

Everyday Minerals was my next foundation. I stayed with it for years, because it was affordable and I found the perfect color match. However, I was alway getting pretty shiny by noon and it settled in my fine lines. Then they had changed their formula and the reviews weren't very positive. The prices had gone up quite a bit also, so I moved on.

Next stop - Meow Cosmetics. I found them better than BE or EDM. Lots and lots of colors to choose from, but the Pampered Puss (medium coverage) is sheerer than I liked and the Flawless Feline (heavier coverage formula) settled in my pores. Their biggest drawback is that the samples are expensive and skimpy and it took about two weeks to receive my order each time. Getting started cost me a pretty penny, but once you know which shade, they are reasonably priced.

I had never heard of Lucy minerals and came across it accidentally here at MUA. Since the samples are very generous and for the amount received - inexpensive, I decided to give it a try - and I am glad I did.

I had ordered three of the lightest shades - Fair, Light, and Cream - ready to mix, if necessary. The order arrived quickly, and surprisingly, I found a perfect match with the "Light" original formula. If you do not find a good match, but can find it by mixing different ones, they will custom mix colors for you at no extra charge. Just send them the proportions with your order. I find that amazing!

Another reviewer had stated that the colors weren't fair enough for her skin. However, Lucy Minerals offers "Snow White" to lighten any foundation color. I had ordered a sample, but did not need it - and I am very fair skinned.

The coverage is very strong and I made the same mistake as some other reviewers and applied too much the first time. This foundation needs a very light hand when applying. But because it takes so little, the samples should go further than their estimated one week. I like that, because I often have a hard time making up my mind, if I like a foundation or not.

With a little finishing powder, it lasted better than other brands. I also found no need for concealer. The foundation worked just fine as such, when I used it with my concealer brush. Therefore, perfect match, and no additional purchase necessary.

I have lots of allergies and the original formula worked best for me. I like the addition of Vitamin C and Allantoin, but if your skin can't tolerate them, "Lucy Light" is a simplified formula without it. I also tried the two oil-control formulas, but found that the original formula worked better in controlling shine.

The Ambrosia Serum didn't do anything for me, and definitely did nothing as a moisturizer. This is the only thing I will not order again.

Update: I still like this foundation a lot. Something new I just discovered is how well it is working as an eye shadow primer. I have very oily eyelids and I have tried Mary Kay's primer, Urban Decay Primer Potion and some others. They never lasted throughout the day, but Lucy's foundation does! Awesome!!!

EDM 50/0 mix Sandy Fair/Fairly Light
Meow - Siamese
Revlon - Buff
Lucy - Light

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2011 6:07:00 PM More reviews by Kenesa

I love this product. I mix a little of the mineral powder with Estee Lauder's advanced night repair serum to create a smooth concealer for my under eyes and other problem areas. The result is long lasting and looks very natural, doesn't often settle into fine lines and doesn't look cakey. Doesn't look like you're wearing anything. Try this combination.