Turmeric Mask

Turmeric Powder

on 5/26/2012 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Here in Bengal (India) turmeric is a very important part of our culture. We use it for a wedding ceremony called gaee holud, where the bride has turmeric powder put on her so she can have soft and glowing skin for her wedding day. But it is also used in all sorts of everyday skincare remedies as well. My mother swears by a mixture of turmeric, cinnamon and lemon juice as a toner, which I don't recommend unless you have very very oily skin (like she does.) I think the best way to enjoy the benefits of turmeric is with a masque made from turmeric powder and water and applied once or twice a week. Also turmeric can make a good spot treatment for little hormonal blemishes. It really does make skin soft and glowing and is cheap and easy to find.

on 5/26/2012 12:43:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I buy turmeric oil and add it to a bottle of olive oil I keep in the bathroom. this works as the best body moisturizer i have ever used. i put it all over including my face. it works well and is dirt cheap. sometimes i mix it with jojoba, but on its own olive oil and turmeric oil work wonders. (i don't use the powder 'cause it is so messy)

on 5/25/2012 10:59:00 PM

I always wonder why so many people spend money on expensive facials with all kinds of chemicals when you can make so many fresh, natural and super effective mixes for dirt cheap. I love using turmeric in my weekly facials. I've tried turmeric using many different combinations. My favourite so far is to take an egg yolk and mix in 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric and 1/2 a teaspoon of matcha green tea powder. I apply it after exfoliating in the shower and leave it on for a half hour. The matcha and turmeric have lots of antioxidants which is great for protecting skin from free radicals, sun damage and premature aging. The egg yolk softens my skin and reduces the appearance of blackheads. It`s a gentle mask that is super good for your skin and gives it a healthy glow.
Some people find that turmeric stain can be hard to rinse off, especially for those with fair skin. With this recipe I haven't had too much of a problem with that. I just soak a washcloth (that you aren't worried about getting dirty) in warm water and apply it to my face to get it all off. When I use plain turmeric paste for a mask I have stained my skin but a good tip is to use some baking soda and olive oil to remove any stain. To be safe only do a turmeric facial at night when you aren't planning to leave the house. I've never had a problem getting the leftover stain off the next morning in the shower.

on 5/23/2012 2:29:00 PM

i have it around my spicerack anyway, and i used to use this mixed with some regular plain yogurt (unflavored of course). you can also squirt in a splash of lemon juice and apply as a mask.

on 5/23/2012 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I've known about turmeric for awhile. I tried it years ago and used turmeric from either an american or Indian grocery store. I mixed it with water and applied it on but it was so messy and really made no difference with my acne. I only noticed back then that it made my skin a little smoother. I never used it again after that because the mess wasn't worth it to me. Looking back I realize I should have mixed it with milk. I recently had cystic acne and I applied a mix of turmeric and milk, left it on for a couple of hours (got busy) and when I rinsed it off, um let's just say an explosion happened. If you have dealt with cystic acne, you know this is a GOOD thing.

Anyway, I recently started using it again about a month ago. My focus now is getting rid of acne scars so all I do is mix a bit of turmeric with water and apply it with my fingers. I am using organic turmeric I bought awhile ago at Whole Foods and I don't know if i'm imagining things but I notice a HUGE difference. This turmeric doesn't stain as much as the turmeric I bought years ago. I even apply the paste with my fingers and when I wash my hands, the stain is almost invisible. Yes it stains my face like always but it doesn't stain it and my surroundings as much as the turmeric I used years ago. That was a DISASTER and I don't blame people for wanting to back away from it because of that.

Another thing I have noticed because my skin is now alot more sun sensitive due to alot of over-exfoliation and i've started to notice that this REALLY helps protect my skin against the sun (even with eating a healthy diet and getting my oils and fats in). I'm talking more so than just applying sunscreen, antioxidant serum (i don't use vitamin c though), rosehip seed oil and makeup with sunscreen. All those things help but turmeric goes above and beyond from what i've consistentently experienced. As previously stated, I make a paste with water and turmeric at night, apply it with my finger, leave it on for 30 minutes and after washing it off my skin is so smooth (and tinted of course!). The next day, I apply sunscreen as usual and whatever else and I can go through the day not feeling my face wrinkling up whenever the sun hits my face. This is amazing for me, especially during the summer here in Texas. On top of that, it's really clearing up my old and recent blemishes. The biggest one from the recent cystic acne is clearing up nicely. I'm so happy! I plan to either do the mask every 2 days or so or just apply grind it up to make it finer and add it to my moisturizer like someone claimed Thandi Newton does. Must do more research! So yeah, Turmeric really has amazing benefits to the body (even more powerful benefits when taken internally). It's going to be my power product this summer! I'll try to come back with an update in the next couple of months.

on 5/21/2012 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

i read that actress thandie newton adds tumeric to her facial lotion. i got the idea to add it to my mineral makeup. i'm brown with yellow undertones. i didn't add a ton but hopefully i added enough to get the anti-inflammatory effects. it looks nice and there are no adverse effects. this sounds easier than dealing with a mask, etc. i'll continue to do it.

on 5/21/2012 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Tried it out as a novelty, I don't have breakout, allergic nor pore issues, it did nothing for me, except I look jaundice for 3 days. I can still use it for cooking, no.

on 5/21/2012 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I use this once or twice per week in a mask with honey and/or yogurt. I leave for 20-30 then rinse. This takes redness out and gives my skin a lovely clarity. I also made a powdered face wash and included turmeric. I added Vicco turmeric cream to my skin care regime... Can't get enough turmeric! LOL. It's one on my new HG items! I have a separate washcloth and towel so I don't stain my good linens!

on 4/19/2012 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I get raw turmeric and make a paste of it by rubbing it with water on a flat stone (the old-fashioned way herb pastes are made in India). I also add red sandalwood to the rubbing mix. Turmeric gives a healthy, beautiful glow to the skin.

Turmeric, especially in the raw form is amazing. I had split my chin in an accident and a tablespoon of turmeric was applied by Mum, on the gaping wound. According to the doctor, this shortened the healing period significantly. Of course, 10 stitches were still required but there was no infection in the wound.
Raw turmeric root can also be pickled and eaten.
Beware of ready-made turmeric powder especially from unreliable sources, as they can contain contaminants which will only worsen the skin problems or 'burn' the skin!

Products provided by nature such as turmeric, neem etc should not be attempted to be 'patented' and if at all that is to be done, the native country growing these plants should be the one getting the 'product' patented.

on 4/6/2012 8:54:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

After reading about the anti inflamatory benefits of turmeric and with some hesitancy (as I have sensitive skin that does not respond well to several natural products that many people on this board review as being wonderful, olive oil being one of them) I mixed some turmeric with greek yoghurt (that I know my skin likes) but with no honey, as surprisingly my skin does not like honey (!) and I left it on for 15 mins.

The mask left my skin feeling very soft and exfoliated with no pinkness whatsover, the next day my normal tendency to get slightly pink on my chin and nose did seem diminished. I had no flakiness over the next few days at all, a big thing for me as extreme dryness and flaking is something that happens all the time when I veer away from my usual tried and trusted skincare and try new products or treatments.

Nothing dramtic happened, I am not now flawless and perfect (but I am sure that treatment IS out there, and I shall be painting it ALL over my body when I find it) other than my skin felt very nice and it did not irritate (huge for me) rather it did seem to soothe to some degree. Based on how soft and calmed my skin seemed I tried the mask again a week later with the same results. As for lightening of hyper pigmentation, well, that surely takes time with any product and remains to be seen as there is no lightening on my one hyperpigmented spot (that showed up this year out of nowhere).

From what I have read on this board and elsewhere turmeric has been used in India for centuries, and I do have a thought. . .I was cotton balling off a very slight residue of yellow (not visible to the eye) even after washing my face, showering and washing my face again . . . if I had lovely golden Indian skin (instead of being pale) I wonder if that slight yellow cast, even barely visible, might actually look nice and sort of even things out, in a purely cosmetic way?

Popular Face Skincare Products

Fix+
Turmeric Mask
Rosehip Seed Oil
Rosehip Oil
Unblemish

Video Reviews & Tutorials

How to get clear skin, remove acne, and dark circles by farahdhukai

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products