July 24, 2014 | 1685 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 8:13:00 PM More reviews by clixe

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Violet

I've been using this for a few weeks now, and my skin has cleared up considerably. I was breaking out on my cheeks, and had a few bumps on my forehead that never went away. After making a paste with this and water and leaving it on my face for about half an hour, every other night, now my skin is finally smooth, glowing and clear. I don't even have any bumps on my forehead that I always had since the past two years! This slightly stains my skin, but as I do it at night the yellow tint is gone by morning. Also, a little goes a long way, and it's not expensive at all.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2011 10:24:00 AM More reviews by sickofacne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok, so I have used this twice now, mixing it with skim milk (heard its good for your skin too...calming).
The first time I almost freaked, cause I washed it off and I was YELLOW. But I then washed my face with my cleanser and it was gone. the second time I used this, I kind of broke out the next morning, but I wonder if my skin was purging? It tingles when it's on, and my face feels almost cool afterwards, like it's super clean.

I am going to keep up with it, and I will perhaps be bumping my lippies from 4 to 5dependant on the next month of usage. (that being 2x a week).

-UPDATE: December 18th/2011-: I noticed that everytime I use this, 2 days later, my skin purges ALOT. anyone else get this?

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2011 1:53:00 AM More reviews by JoCh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Turmeric deserves my first (and possibly only) review here at MA.

I have rosacea on my cheeks and am prone to cystic acne around my chin during that time of the month. My face broke out badly from a neutrogena sunscreen I wore last year and while the cystic acnes have long healed, they left dark acne scars that would not fade no matter what I did.

I have read studies about Turmeric's abilities to subdue inflammation along with many of its other health benefits, and wanted to see whether there was a review for it at MA. Lo and behold, many here are already singing its praises.

I use turmeric from a brand called "Sadaf", but I imagine any brand would do. I mix approximately 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder with 3/4 teaspoon of thick, unflavored yogurt. I mix it with a flat brush and apply the mask to a cleansed face, and leave the mask on for approximately 15 to 30 minutes. I simply rinse the mask off with cool water and put on moisturizer. I don't notice much staining on my face and I believe it is due to the yogurt.

I do the turmeric+yogurt mask about 2 nights a week and I am quite impressed with the result. The texture of my face has evened out, and the lighter acne scars on my face have lightened and some have even faded completely. The darker scars still remain, but please realize that I have only used the mask a handful of times. I have used many products that claim to lighten scars or even out skin-tone, but none gave the noticeable results in as short a time as this homemade mask has.

Turmeric and yogurt are very inexpensive, and I will continue to use them.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2011 2:47:00 AM More reviews by kus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

When i was a kid we used to hear about the virtues of turmeric on the skin, its something that you take for granted when its been told by generations down. But recently i started getting huge cystic acne and nothing would work and i couldn't use tri luma anymore because am trying to concieve. So i gave it a try with raw "root" tumeric and Besan (gram flour) which i chucked into the mixer and voila ! within 3 applications, results are amazing my skin is sooooo smooth and the pain form the acne has vanished, althouth there still is a small bump. It might be my imagination but i have a feeling that by skin looks brighter and that the darker scars a little darker than the rest of my skin. Could it be that am getting lighter ???
Bottom line its cheap, efficient but such a messy hassle with the stain

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2011 3:27:00 AM More reviews by giantsushi

Ohmygoodness I bought this today ridiculously cheap (enough for me to cover a month and paid around $2.30 NZD, which is about id say $1.70 USD. could be way off) and WOW. My mum got the mask ratio wrong so she put tons of turmeric in, but I put some lemon zest, natural honey, natural yoghurt, ground oats and some rice water. Since my mum put too much turmeric in, I turned quite yellow and it left a stain.. which I managed to minimalise with yoghurt mask and gentle face scrub PLUS olive oil wipe... I used to have VERY uneven skin tone due to sun damage and acne, but after using this, my face started to glow (a tad yellow, but results are worth it), and most of the unevenness went away. Just like that. in an hour. AMAZING. I will continue to use this and next time i will put in more yoghurt.. but it was amazing i never knew it would work this great... and it's very cheap too. Just becareful when handling it because its almost impossible to get it off your clothes once it stains.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2011 5:33:00 AM More reviews by rainem

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First up! this is my very first review, I've been a lurker here in MUA for years now and I feel really compelled to write a review of this because IT REALLY WORKS.

For reference I have an NC20 skintone.

First up, the turmeric powder I use is from McCormick, the one that comes with a jar.

In a small glass bowl, I mix 2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder, half a teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (the fresh kind) I mix it with a small stainless teaspoon. I wash my face first with warm water (to open the pores) then Cetaphil then rinse, pat dry with towel. I leave it on for 2 hours then rinse again with warm water, the paste on my face makes an excellent exfoliant so I scrub gently while rinsing them and the result.. amazingly soft skin! the first couple of times I tried this I did not see a significant change in my acne scars but after a few times that's when I really noticed that they have lightened significantly!! like really!!

I do this 2 to 3 times a week.. and really.. I hardly break out anymore!
just a few things..
They did not stain my face (yay!) no oompa loompa glow afterwards.
The scent does take time for you to get use to, it smells a little bit like cinnamon. =)

c'mon! this is cheap! and I've read this has anti-wrinkle properties and having just turned 27.. yeah.. I'm starting to see a little bit of crows feet and I'm doing my darnest to keep them at bay or delaying them..

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by opticvirgo77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this natural easily found spice it has miraculously improved the condition of my skin in a matter of weeks. I mix a mask of turmeric, buttermilk, lemon juice and licorice root extract. I apply every night if I can to amazing results on some of the previous acne scarring hyperpigmentation. I believe the licorice root and the lemon assist with the scarring as well. I leave the mask on for abot 20-30 mins then rinse off. I suffer from hormonal acne a "once a month monster" and I believe the turmeric calms that issue when used as a spot treatment. I have been battling hormonal acne issues for 15+ yrs and this is the best skin condition for me I have seen thus far. Why not give it a try 2-3 dollars found at your local grocer it's been phenomenal for me. I also started using it as a supplement as well. Cons= not the greatest scent and it can stain so be careful.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 6:31:00 PM More reviews by oasdus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I started using it as a mask one month ago, applying nightly or at least every couple nights. It has done wonders for my skin, but I'm sure this has been amplified because I started taking it internally too. (Note that this is just my experience, and you should consult a doctor before taking anything since it could react negatively with other medications or your system.)

As others have said, turmeric powder will stain everything, so it must be used with care. I just mix it with enough water to make a paste, apply it to my skin, let sit for at least 30 min, and rinse off the granules with water. A yellow stain is left behind so I use Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub, massaging it around to get off the residue. If any slight tint is left, I either let it go for the night and cleanse again in the a.m. or go ahead and do a second cleansing right then. I follow up with a drop or two of extra virgin olive oil patted over my skin.

I've been battling with hormonal acne lately, but it has improved since I started walking and losing a few pounds, and turmeric used internally and externally. My red marks from previous acne and face-picking were many years old, but they are looking better after a month of turmeric. The real difference right now is that my skin's texture and pores look more refined and my skin looks calmer and smoother. There is a "glowiness".

I have seen improvement each week that I've used turmeric as a mask and supplement over the last month. I feel lucky that I stumbled onto using it. I used to get these hard, round deposits deep within a pore, but now they are no longer solid, instead they are easy to remove. There was a terrible cyst near my eye that became a hard ball deep under the skin and I thought I was going to have to go to a dermatologist to get it cut out. About a month after starting turmeric, it changed to where I was actually able to drain it without much effort.

I also know my skin's improvement is not due to other supplements I take, though I'm sure they help, but I was taking them long before I started turmeric. I've improved my diet lately, but it wasn't that bad before either.
Turmeric was just $3 at the grocery store (probably cheaper at different stores).

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by jessicaflox

I have been using turmeric mixed with yoghurt to try and lighten freckles. I'm not sure if it's working. At first I thought my skin and freckles might be getting lighter, but now I suspect they aren't. I'm going to keep going with it to see if there is any improvement. The down side is that it's very messy. On the upside it's very cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 12:25:00 PM More reviews by jabritao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been taking turmeric as a supplement to help with my breakouts for a year. Nature's Way Turmeric Tablets are my brand of choice but I have tried others looking for a better price still looking. The turmeric reduced the redness and inflammation of my subtype 1 and 2 rosacea within a few weeks. It also unexpectedly helped eliminate the mild soreness I almost constantly had in my neck and shoulders. One year later there is no evidence I ever struggled with the symptoms of subtype 1 rosacea!!! The acne on my cheeks from subtype 2 rosacea was reduced by about 75% at least. It also gives my skin a certain radiance. I plan to take this supplement for the foreseeable future. The only drawbacks are the cost and that my skin has a slightly more yellow hue than before. I like the new color. It looks glowy.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No