April 16, 2014 | 1967 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2011 1:05:00 AM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 4

Price: 1 (very cheap)

Packaging: 3 (Mine is in a glass jar with a shaker top)

Buy again: yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stumbled upon this remedy for swelling, sore, red pimples when I had one 2 days ago and was pretty desperate but I'm so glad I did! Home remedies don't usually have too much of an effect on me (Aspirin mask -- nothing, yogurt mask -- ok, honey mask -- ok...) so I wasn't expecting much, but I figured it would be worth a shot.

I had a random pop up of zits on my chin lately (probably stress related), and they were deep cystic types, very red, and very sore. If you suffer from this type, you know what I mean! anyway, I was totally embarrassed by them (it always sucks having to cake on makeup to hide them, but it never really does much), and I wanted them GONE.

My recipe: I used enough turmeric powder so that when mixed with either a few drops of water or lemon juice, it would form a liquidy-paste. I read that this stuff stains, so I mixed up my batch in a small black ceramic dish with a wooden chopstick and applied it to my spots with a clean concealer brush... in the kitchen! This won't stain stainless steel sinks, so that's why lol. I let it sit for about 30-45 mins until it was dry and feeling tight, and then I removed it with warm running water and my hands wearing latex gloves to prevent staining my hands (again, in the kitchen over the sink). I did end up using a small piece of wet linen to scrub over my skin, and it is now stained a bright yellow, so don't use nice face cloths for this. I then continued with my usual 3-step routine (Clinique level 3)

at first, I noticed that at least my pimples didn't hurt as much. And they looked a bit less red. I put some polysporin on them and went to bed. This morning, (after just 1 application), redness was down quite a bit (I would say easily about 50%) and the swelling was down like 50% too! It made a BIG difference after just 1 use. And, the pain was gone. So that really helped. I'm just so impressed that this simple home remedy made suck a difference for me. I used it again tonight, and I hope I will have great results!

In summary: Turmeric powder mixed with water or lemon juice makes a great spot treatment for oncoming, painful, red zits. Use tools to help reduce skin staining (i.e. concealer brushes, gloves...).

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2011 11:57:00 AM More reviews by jarona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

OK. I found it hard to believe--but it is true. Turmeric DOES work wonders for your complexion.

Two days ago, I, at my old age of 55, woke up with the start of a huge zit on my chin that would have come to a greasy head at any time. In one way, I felt so young--but in another way, I felt so disgusted. I thought my zit days were over. I suppose not.

I remembered reading something online about turmeric as a zit-zapper so I figured what the heck!! Luckily for me, I have a lot of turmeric at home as I cook a lot of mid-eastern and Indian food.

Made a paste out of a couple of tblspoons of turmeric and a bit of water and slapped the mixture on my bumpy area. Lo and behold, it went down. A lot. I'm so impressed! The only thing that I could not do was convince my daughter that turmeric is a good cure for zits!

This is also very economical! If you note, I put a "1" for the packaging. I have a big bag of it--and the bag is a pain--but I"m going to have to double-bag it. Also, I got a big bag of it at Wegman's in the Indian food section for something like $2.99...so the price was dirt cheap.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by eddiecatt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

For the past year I've been suffering from hives and weird breakouts of dermatitis, and recently I have become strangely obsessed with improving my complexion (sign of age, haha). Well, turmeric does it all--after reading that it is an anti-inflammatory, I have been taking a teaspoon of ground turmeric in herbal tea every day for the past two or three weeks (with a bit of honey added), and this morning when I happened to scratch myself in the shower I noticed that, instead of welting up immediately as my skin has done since I was about 20, it just turned red but otherwise stayed quite calm. Miracle!!!

Like other reviewers, I've also noticed that turmeric mixed with a bit of milk or lemon juice is a very effective skin lightener. You can make a lovely, spreadable mask with yogurt and honey and some powdered turmeric--if the turmeric stains your face yellow (and it will), just dip a cotton pad in a natural oil and take it off that way. It's an amazing substance, and a central ingredient in Ayurvedic medicine--definitely part of my skincare armoury forever.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2011 6:46:00 PM More reviews by rheaZ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This has been a go-to remedy for nearly every skin problem in my family since I can remember.
A little bit mixed with yogurt lightens acne scars, and the yogurt prevents your skin from getting stained.
You can also mix it with a bit of water to form a thick paste to soothe nasty burns.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by ggarcia

I happened to read a review for the ACV and one of the reviewers mentioned something about Turmeric (which i had never heard of).. Well i came in here and read the reviews, and after suffering from acne for 12 years, and doing research on it online, i decided to give it a try,, OMG DOES IT WORK WONDERS OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I made it into a paste consistency with a little bit of warm water, honey and olive oil. I applied all over my face and left it on for about 1 hour. then i washed it off with wet hands and rubbed in circular motion and it all came off. Did not stain and I woke up this morning looking so refreshed and super smooth skin. My acne scars lightened up big time!! I will continue to use this. I am sooooo happy!!!!

Everyone suffering from acne and is spending hundreds of dollars in acne products has to buy!!! It's super cheap and it really works!!!!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2010 5:06:00 PM More reviews by sdr95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

My goodness, i don't know what mother nature did to this beautiful plant to make it so wonderful. Possibly the curcumin in it...but even science isn't entirely sure. Nothing...absolutely nothing else works on a forming zit better than this. No matter what, if the blemish isn't raised yet, perhaps just a bit of a sensitive spot or even just red, dab this on for a few hours....and it'll never come up. It'll go away within a day or two and done. However, if the zit's already formed and full, this won;t work, but acknowledging the science of acne, it makes sense. It truly astonishes me....this long held ancient indian tradition is marvelous. It also adds a fabulous glow for those with darker, more neutral skin tones. Not only is turmeric have antioxidant benefits, but it's majorly anti-inflammatory and works as a disinfectant. I think all these aspects also contribute to its magic. Just.....really...miraculous. Only think you can hope for is that your at home when you notice the small blemish....or else it might become too late.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2010 1:27:00 AM More reviews by gracejones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have tried many fancy face masks but pure turmeric mixed into a paste with a smidgeon of honey is amazing.
You can also drink it 1 teaspoon in water 3 times a day to clear out your liver and improve your complexion.

I only do this face mask at night when I know no one will see me as other users have commented even if you wash well you will still have a slight yellow hue to your skin. As other users have commented whatever this stain is it seems to help as when I wake up in the morning my skin always looks fresher and healthier.

I dont know if it stops new pimples from forming or not, yet to decide, hard to test that. But I do know that it reduces scars, reduces inflammation and makes my skin feel really fresh and clean.

Save your pennies, don't buy the expensive facemasks, just use turmeric!

Oh and to the lady who said beware porcelain skinned beauties, I am very pale but find that if I do this mask at night and sleep through the night, by the following day when I've taken my shower all the yellow is gone.

LOVE it.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2010 9:40:00 AM More reviews by Susie31

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

ok im 36 and ive spent literlly $$$$thousands over the last 20 years on acne and acne scar products...only to find out that two dirt cheap (pennies a day) worked better and rapidly on fading my scars..turmeric powder..like a huge bag for 99 cents (and apple cider vinegar..seperately not together)
ok so..the turmeric i do nothing special just take the plain ol powder into the palm of my hand,add a little water,till its pasty and spread it over my face,MUST leave it on about AN HOUR..and have nowhere to go or be seen by anyone for 3-4 hours!
cuz when you wash it off after an hour...no matter how hard you scrub or what trillion dfferent types of washes you use back to back..your face will be stained bright yellow...and thats ok..so dont bother with a harsh wash..just wash it normally and go around with a bright yellow face for a few hours..cuz the NEXT time you wash..itll come off..then after that.. a shower then it will be finally be off (im talking 3 total washed and 3-4 hours later...
wow sooo worth it! it fades acne scars like nothing youve ever seen!
I will continue to use this!absolutely!
therefore based on the technical experience i feel it is "IN" the staining power..that this product works! I DONT MEAN that the yellow...is somehow camaflaging the scars! I mean when the yellow is ALL completely 100% GONE,washed off...the scars are faded! period! but it needs that time.to sit in your skin.
its awesome try it!!!!!
further results with auromere sandalwood turmeric neem soap..at i herb . com..its like $1.37..and like $1 shipping!!!..made in india..keeps skin matte all day!!! didnt know a soap that you rinse off could do that!!! its incredible and it also faded scars
read its reviews at iherb.it has turmeric in it and does NOT stain the skin whatsoever and smells delicous!!!my HG soap cleared my skin!!!

29 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2010 9:52:00 AM More reviews by mimikumiya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

In Indonesia turmeric is widely used for food and beauty one of the most popular use for skin is as an exfoliating powder called "lulur" along with other ingredients like rice powder it exfoliates gently and smooth your skin and we also sometimes use lemon to mix with lulur and it's good when you have bacne and I remember when I'm in high school I also used it to exfoliate my face and it dries up my acne right away.anyway it's really cheap and sold in sachet and been used for hundreds of year by indonesian women it's worth to try

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2010 7:57:00 AM More reviews by Ivylim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this as a weekly mask for about a year now. I first heard of this from a blogger friend and my mother. I saw really good results from my friend and as soon as I heard my mother talk about this I went to an asian supermarket and picked a packet of this up for 90 cents. And this packet last a long time with my weekly use. It's been about a year and there's still half of it left.

I usually mix half a teaspoon with my toner either witch hazel or apple cider vinegar. I mix in just enough to get a smooth paste. I leave it on for about 15 minutes. And then I cleanse off with water or my usual cleanser and it usually doesnt stain. The results are pretty good. I used to get a lot of break outs on my forehead and chin. I dont get much break outs any more unless it's TTOTM or if I am really stressed. But even then my acne has calm down a lot and it's due to this turmeric mask. Before my skin was just a mess in general. I follow up this mask with jojoba oil and that helps a lot as well.

If you want to get really fancy with this mask you can add honey, almond oil and gram flour. This gives my skin a nice glow. Also before you are remove this mask, rub your skin in circular motions, the gram flour acts as an exfoliant. I leave this mask on for about 20 mins. I make this mask when I have the time- usually once a month.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No