January 31, 2015 | 1167 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by YENSUONG

This is a miracle in a compact! A little goes a long the way. This can be use to highlight cheeks, nose or eyeshadow. It can be for multi purpose which is so convenient for me. I highly recommend everyone this! This will make your face glow like a goddess! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 5:15:00 AM More reviews by emma1995

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i literally get excited to put this on! amazing amazing amazing!

-feel like a movie star-

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 4:40:00 AM More reviews by Rocklover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am in love. I bought this after reading all the mua raves, and it has DELIVERED! My Mary loumanizer takes me from looking tired to looking radiant and fresh. It's very finely milled so it gives a sort of glow, rather than looking sparkly and fake. It looks very natural. A little goes a long way too so it will last ages. And I adore the colour - kind of champagne - it just goes so well with my skin. I love the versatility o this highlighter too - it looks great on cheeks, brows and tear ducts. I can't imagine ever ending my love affair with this! DEFINITELY repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 4:53:00 AM More reviews by misscoutureland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great highlighting product, not overly glittery and will last for hours. Very easy to blend to, you can do it with your fingers.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by Lipstickjunkie4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this hi lighter! This is HG! Not glittery or over shimmery! Gives just the right amount of glow! Will purchase over and over again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by bronteisabella

I got this at a really cheap price on ebay because the normal price was a little out of my budget at the time, but when I run out of this, I will definitely buy more. This is my absolute favorite highlighter - and probably my favorite makeup product in my collection! I wear this every single day (and have been for about 6 months and I still have barely made a dent), it is so pigmented and smooth and gorgeous! Not to mention the packaging is adorable, like all of TheBalm's products.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by brighteyes22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous! Natural and glowing, not shimmery. For ref NC 30 and it blends perfectly with my skin tone!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2013 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Aminsat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

*UPDATE* Jan 2015:

Alright, so in the past, when I've disliked a product other people rave about, I try it again from time to time to see if I was doing something wrong and 90% of the time I still hate it. Well, this is not one of those times. *blush!

When I first tried Mary-Lou Manizer (luminizer - I only got the play on words a few weeks ago! :P ), I was a little new to highlighters and I'm pretty sure I applied way too much. What I didn't realize was that this powder works best when it's hardly detectable face-on. So basically, what I said it didn't do is exactly what it does do well - it gives a warm, my-skin-but-glowing effect. This is usually my last step of makeup and it's like a healthy boost. I swirl it on my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose, above my lip and voila! I know there is a PF product already named happy booster but that's a great name for this highlighter. It reminds my of a pinup girl's cheeks.

I think this needs to be applied with a fan brush or a delicate stippling brush and should be detectable when you shift your face or smile. It's has a warmth that really charms you up (lol) when you're looking dull. I would describe it as a neutral-warm champagne. It's really crept its way to being my number one highlighter (among many). Bah! I hate it when I'm wrong!

It's been said but major kudos to the package designer/artist! Mary & Betty-Lou and the whole line are just so absolutely cheeky!

I bought this at Rexall for approx $38 CAD. It hurt. I've purchased many a highlighter in the last while. It's one product that makes me squee when I test it out and I have a few favourites that each perform differently. I've detailed them below the best way I can and how they compare to Mary-Lou.

~ COMPARISONS ~
Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal ~ is a stunning true champagne whereas I would describe MLM as a subtle warm champagne. It comes in cream form that can be used over or under foundation and is great for cheekbones. It's rather reflective and can be pretty intense so you must blend it properly. It's not as forgivable as MLM and it's expensive.

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal Pressed ~ same colour as the cream but in powder. It's great quality and similar consistency to MLM (maybe more silky). It's neutral and a tad more shiny than MLM so it can be quite elegant (rather than sweet) and is seamless. Expensive.

Benefit High Beam ~ this one is just a fun highlight! It's a pearly pink cream that's like a light bulb for your face but less natural than MLM. I dot it on to my cheekbones and blend, blend, blend. It's dolly cutesy and doe-eyed.

MAC Soft & Gentle ~ this used to be my fave but others have surpassed it in quality. It's a chunky metallic champagne and definitely the most glittery of the group. If applied heavily, it's kinda garish and "made-up" but if blended it's not bad.

Sephora MicroSmooth in Stardust or NARS Albatross (the 2 are pretty much identical) ~ this is the gilded Egyptian goddess! It's white gold and I can see it being worn to clubs or for a sexy evening look. Sexy-exotic glow not sweet-girl glow. ;)

~~~

ORIGINAL REVIEW June 2013:

Simply put, I like the texture of this highlighter but something is off about the tone to me. Indeed, it's really fine and seems to look smoother on the skin as opposed to my current MAC Soft and Gentle highlighter which kinda 'sits' on top of the skin. The issue I have with this is that whatever little pigment is in this powder - and I know a lot have mentioned it's colourless but I digress - it doesn't work well with my skin tone. The effect is an unflattering yellow gold sheen in certain light or angles as opposed to a warm glow. So although I think this has a much nicer finish than my MAC S&G, the pigment doesn't work with my skin the way my MAC one does. It doesn't look like "my skin but glowing" which is the effect I'm going for. So back to MAC until I find a better highlighter.

That being said, I've recently discovered highlighters are awesome to have in your makeup stash especially for photos and nighttime. My only word of caution is to test the colour in different lights before you buy ladies! :) For reference, I'm a MAC NC35 NARS Stromboli.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by alyxayavong

I wasn't into powdered highlighters but I decided to give this a try. It is hands down the most PIGMENTED highlighter I have ever tried. So a little definitely goes a long way. I love the packaging but but I sadly dropped mine and it cracked. :/ But luckily it has a closed shut packaging so I could keep it confined. I would recommend this to anyone I believe it looks good on any skin tone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I saw this featured on my favourite beauty blog Essiebutton and I finally hunted this down!! Now I must confess, I do not own this product, because the Rexall close to my home is always sold out of it and I don't know where else to buy it in Canada. I do try this on constantly at the beauty counter because it's better than my Mac Mineralized Skin Finish in "Soft and Gentle". I have tried many highlighters, I have never loved any (in fact I hated the Benefit High Beam) but I totally love this Mary Lou-Manizer!!

For reference, I am NC15 in Mac skin products, I am very fair very neutral undertones, I wear soft coral or pink coloured blushes and this looks amazing as a highlight on my cheekbones. The soft gold colour does not have chunky glitter or anything like that, it's a very fine powder, and it gives such an amazing radiant glow. I have quite flat cheekbones and this highlighter makes them look more prominent and I just love it. I can't wait to get my hands on this, I also can't wait to try out more products by The Balm! My only complaint would be the price, at $30 CND it's almost as much as the Mac MSF, and respectfully, The Balm is a drugstore brand, I find it to be too costly...though it will definitely last forever like the Mac MSF!

UPDATE: I found a sample size of this on eBay that someone got in their monthly Birchbox and decided to sell! I paid $10 for it, and since you need just a tiny amount to give you an amazing glow, I feel like this small presentation of this product will last me a long time! I haven't been able to wear my Mac highlighter since I got this Balm one, it's just so amazing and long-wearing!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No