Essie Mint Candy Apple

4.2

on 11/8/2010 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This color is so cute! I bought it because it's bright and interesting. However the polish is streaky as heck! When I applied it, I had to put on 3 coats to get an even color. Then that took forever to dry. The polish was also strangely thick.. my other Essie polishes aren't like this. Too bad because it looks so darn good :[

Little tidbit of advice, to even out a streaky coat, apply top coat right after. I use Essie 3 way glaze :]

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really don't like this. I had such high hopes and I really tried to make this work. But I can't get the application right. It is so incredibly streaky and thick and bubbly. A complete waste of time and money. So disappointed...

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

I bought this nail polish a few years ago and I'm finally down to the last bit of it so I decided today I'd repurchase it. Well I'm glad I had enough in my old bottle to make a side by side comparison and I can tell you, the new mint candy apple is definitely nothing like its older counterpart. My first mint candy apple is exactly what you'd expect it to be, a perfect shade of mint. The new one isn't even remotely close to being mint, it's more of a milky pastel blue. I don't understand why companies change the color formula yet market it under the same name. I had the same experience with Nails inc. and their Porchester square nail polish.
Overall, application was opaque after 2 coats, it's a thicker formula which means after a few uses you'll notice the strings of polish when you take the brush out of the bottle but nothing like a little nail polish thinner can't fix. I think it's still a pretty cool toned blue and it looks amazing paired as a french style manicure with a deeper blue such as wet n wild's color in root of all evil. But for anyone else looking for a nice minty green polish, I'd suggest checking out Pure Ice in the color Home Run 277cp. It's a closer dupe to the original mint candy apple.

on 9/11/2010 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Love this minty cool color. Not sure what is candy apple about it as the name suggests, but the color is very flattering, at least on my light NW20 skin. Polish only took 2 coats to create an opaque finish (I used it over a base coat). It also dried quickly without bubbles. Very trendy.

on 8/26/2010 4:06:00 PM

The shade is gorgeous. I always get compliments when I wear, very unique colour. I need 3 coats to get a true bottle colour. I think however the packaging could improve, looks cheap, especially considering ultra cheap brands like Essence and Catrice have gorgeous packaging. The formula is ok.

I would re purchase this again if I cant find a dupe.

on 8/23/2010 2:34:00 PM

love this color.. mine is really thick like the other reviewers mention.. looks great on olive skin tone. my only complaint with essie is their brush quality could use some work..

on 8/20/2010 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

i love this color! i bought mine at ulta for 4 dollars (they made a mistake on the pricing :D ) and idk if i have a bad one or something cuz the polish is pretty thick and only needs 1-2 coats. mine was not streaky at all! idk what happened to it haha. but i would deff buy this again its a great color on any skin tone! looks great on toes!

on 8/14/2010 5:24:00 PM

absolutely love this color! so perfect for summer or anytime of year. this looks amazing against my somewhat tan skin. it is really hard to find any shade of blue nail polish but luckily i can count on essie!

on 8/14/2010 3:26:00 PM

This is a colour that is really unique and everybody comments on it when you're wearing it. It's kind of like wearing a runway red lipstick - don't do it if you're shy :) I love it - two coats is enough.

on 8/8/2010 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I had to get this shade after seeing the Chanel Fall/Winter '09 collection on the runway. 2 negatives: (1) It takes several coats to get the desired shade without streaking, (2) It chips fairly easily. However, the color is just so dead on.

Top Rated Essie Products