November 26, 2014 | 1871 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mint Candy Apple

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by SapphireRoses80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this nail polish a few years ago and I'm finally down to the last bit of it so I decided today I'd repurchase it. Well I'm glad I had enough in my old bottle to make a side by side comparison and I can tell you, the new mint candy apple is definitely nothing like its older counterpart. My first mint candy apple is exactly what you'd expect it to be, a perfect shade of mint. The new one isn't even remotely close to being mint, it's more of a milky pastel blue. I don't understand why companies change the color formula yet market it under the same name. I had the same experience with Nails inc. and their Porchester square nail polish.
Overall, application was opaque after 2 coats, it's a thicker formula which means after a few uses you'll notice the strings of polish when you take the brush out of the bottle but nothing like a little nail polish thinner can't fix. I think it's still a pretty cool toned blue and it looks amazing paired as a french style manicure with a deeper blue such as wet n wild's color in root of all evil. But for anyone else looking for a nice minty green polish, I'd suggest checking out Pure Ice in the color Home Run 277cp. It's a closer dupe to the original mint candy apple.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by JoSummers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this minty cool color. Not sure what is candy apple about it as the name suggests, but the color is very flattering, at least on my light NW20 skin. Polish only took 2 coats to create an opaque finish (I used it over a base coat). It also dried quickly without bubbles. Very trendy.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2010 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Shaz809

The shade is gorgeous. I always get compliments when I wear, very unique colour. I need 3 coats to get a true bottle colour. I think however the packaging could improve, looks cheap, especially considering ultra cheap brands like Essence and Catrice have gorgeous packaging. The formula is ok.

I would re purchase this again if I cant find a dupe.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2010 2:34:00 PM More reviews by brandispro81

love this color.. mine is really thick like the other reviewers mention.. looks great on olive skin tone. my only complaint with essie is their brush quality could use some work..

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by Stacy88

i love this color! i bought mine at ulta for 4 dollars (they made a mistake on the pricing :D ) and idk if i have a bad one or something cuz the polish is pretty thick and only needs 1-2 coats. mine was not streaky at all! idk what happened to it haha. but i would deff buy this again its a great color on any skin tone! looks great on toes!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by treschic101

absolutely love this color! so perfect for summer or anytime of year. this looks amazing against my somewhat tan skin. it is really hard to find any shade of blue nail polish but luckily i can count on essie!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2010 3:26:00 PM More reviews by Trilliana

This is a colour that is really unique and everybody comments on it when you're wearing it. It's kind of like wearing a runway red lipstick - don't do it if you're shy :) I love it - two coats is enough.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2010 11:27:00 PM More reviews by tashidelek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I had to get this shade after seeing the Chanel Fall/Winter '09 collection on the runway. 2 negatives: (1) It takes several coats to get the desired shade without streaking, (2) It chips fairly easily. However, the color is just so dead on.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2010 8:35:00 PM More reviews by thenerdykatie

Love this color but it goes on very streaky. It takes a lot more work to get that salon finish then other polishes I have tried.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/20/2010 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Belle84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I love the colour, and basically that's what's saving this polish from a horrible review.

I consider myself an experienced nailpolisher but I couldn't get this one to look even remotely okay. It streaked, it ''bubbled'' and I had to do 4 layers (!) just to make it look decent. I thought that this was maybe just my bottle, but afterwards I've found that it's not just me that sucks.=P Other people also have difficulties with this exact polish, so I don't really know what to make of it...