July 25, 2014 | 1930 users online

Treatments - OPI - Nail Envy - Original

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2009 1:43:00 PM More reviews by whisper

This product is pretty phenomenal. Nothing else I've tried comes close to working in the way OPI 'Nail Envy' does. I don't even follow the whole 'apply two coats, then one every other day thereafter, then repeat after a week' directions (or whatever it says you're supposed to do). It is just fantastic. Since discovering it about a decade ago, I've bought maybe 5 bottles of it, and I will continue to re-purchase in the future because it delivers on its promise. The only 'negative' thing about this product is the cost (about $16). BUT, it is well worth the price, which is why I hasten to even call it a drawback.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2009 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Dori319

I feel like this has made my nails thicker and stronger. My nails have not had as much of a peeling or tearing problem since starting to use this. I use this as my base coat and use it maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2009 12:48:00 PM More reviews by karen2829

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First and foremost.. this product is not a base coat OR top coat ! This is a nail treatment. Yes, you can use it as either but it is not the intent of this product so please it's not fair to review this product for that purpose.
As a nail treatment, Nail Envy is my HG. I have been using for over 8 years on and off. I have thin nails that break easy. This has helped my nails grow and maintain them. For the first 2-3 weeks. You start with 2 coats on the first day ( lets say sunday ) and then 1 coat every other day until the following sunday. Then take it all off with polish remover and start again. They suggest not using polish during the initial treatment which I agree given all the coats you are going to be putting on to of the polish. For maintenance I use it once every 3-4 days.. or if I have a manicure I use it under my base ( or as my base depending on what's available) They have other formulas with are more problem specific.. I use the original because it's what I am used to. But I suggest start with the original and move on to the problem specific for maintenance.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2009 5:44:00 PM More reviews by ChristmasMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love Nail Envy. My nails seem to benefit from it, and I always regret it when I deviate from my routine. Here is my sandwich: Nailtek Foundation II base coat, then Nail Envy, then Orly Bonder, then my polish, then Seche Vite.

Nail Envy applies beautifully, dries fast and seems to work. Worth every penny.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2009 3:08:00 AM More reviews by anguyent

My nails are pretty strong so I don't know if it's made a difference with my nail strength. I like the product though, I always use it under my nail polish. Will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2009 4:51:00 PM More reviews by blueglitter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

i LOVE this product, my nails feel great with it on and they are stronger, i have really week nails and after using this they already feel strengthened, the packaging is a bit ugly though but the product is good, a bottle will last ages. also when i put this on a dont tend to bite my nails either.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by ivegotgold

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A couple of years ago I spent all summer gardening without gloves on and after that my nails were always in bad shape. I couldn't get them to grow very long because they would peel and/or break. I like my nails to all be the same length, so when one broke I would have to shorten the rest. With so many nails breaking they were always very short. I tried many different products that were supposed to help but they just seemed to dry out my nails and make them peel horribly. They didn't keep them from breaking either. I finally decided to try OPI Nail Envy after stumbling upon a goodly number of rave reviews for it on some website that was selling it. I apply it according to the instructions, which means two coats on the first day and then one coat on each of the next six days before removing it with nail polish remover and starting over. It has definately toughened my nails up a bit. I notice that when I remove the product I cannot easily bend the ends the way I used to. It is also more difficult to break my nails when I have several coats on. The product does last a while. I can't say exactly how long, but I am nearing the end of my second bottle and have been using the product for about five and a half months. I also apply generous coats each time. I have noticed that a couple of my fingernails do still have a tendancy to peel more than the others, although this is probably due to their previous condition. There is also a limit to how long I can grow my nails before they still break easily and it is not quite as long as I would like, but I doubt there is a product out there that will accomplish that. That being said, this is still the best product I have found. I have this on my nails at all times and will continue to buy this product because it is the only one that has worked for me, and with such great results.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2009 3:24:00 AM More reviews by tropical_dreams15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this is a great product. My nails feel a lot stronger when I apply this as both a base and top coat. I let my nails grown out this summer while on vacation and without Nail Envy that would have been impossible. Even the manicurist I had been seeing all summer commented on how strong and healthy my nails looked. Another reason I love this product is that it isn't tinted; so it wont change the colour of your polish (unlike some base/top coats). I'll admit that it's kinda expensive but if used properly you wont regret this purchase. You can probably get a small bottle during the winter holiday season because they tend to have seasonal collections with mini versions of colours and stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2009 1:32:00 PM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I naturally have very weak, thin, peeling and bending nails.

So.......Thank goodness for these H.G's..... Nail Tek II Foundation (which is a matte finish) and Nail Envy Original(which has a high gloss finish)

I actually had good results with the N.Tek. I have used it for over 2-3 months now. But, my pointers and thumbs were still not that great. Also, I thought they all could be a little stronger.

(Hint: always give a strengthener at least 5 weeks... so it can to get rid of the weak parts and work on the new parts)

So enter..... my Nail Envy Original.......at first I was scared it would make my nails start peeling again.....But thank goodness it didn't!(many other strengtheners have besides my new 2 H.Gs, yay!)

My nails ARE STRONGER and LONGER and I have NO OUTRAGEOUS PEELING!

I was VERY worried I would ruin my progress I made with my N.Tek II Foundation base coat. But this NAIL ENVY ORIGINAL REALLY ROCKS! It has improved them a lot!

I have to file them a lot now and they do not bend backwards anymore! Its been about a month so far.

I know that too much use can promote brittleness......so I will go back to my Nail Tek II Foundation for a few weeks, since its not as strong. You it was made for always being a base coat.

My inner side of my thumbs are still bent a little. But I do play the drums.I know that my thumb/nails do get bent/hurt from that. I keep my nails at an active length with a little more length sometimes ;)

I also love the high glossiness. I use a thin coat to refresh my mani's, after a few days too.

This how I use it............I use 2 coats of this as base, 2/3 layers of OPI Lacquer and then a fast drying top coat ( I use Poshe or Seche..... Though, Poshe seems to be better at not shrinking my polish away from edges)

My nails polish lasts for 4 or more days! Which is great for my nails! ;) ...

Some has said that it made their lacquer peel off like a fake press on. Well so far so good for me. It also may be that I use the fast dry top coats which blends/melts them all onto the nail pretty good. Well, I really don't know ;) Also, I received the regular(not prowide) brush one, doesn't it still have the formaldehyde and etc,.......again I don't know.

Hint:......always put your fast dry top coats on, when your polish is still wet!

Try this regimen for stronger nails.......

1. Use this as directed on box for a week or two. Then use 2 thin layers as a base coat under your fav polish. ( Hint.... Buy this online,its expensive at drugstores or Target. Its much cheaper at online nail e-tailors or Ebay)

( Unfortunately, the only bad effect from this product is the yellowing of the nails....though I only wear very bright colors in summer and dark colors in winter. If you wear lighter colors then maybe you could apply a thin coat of soft white over the 2 base coat layers or even a ridge filler... then your lacquer color.)

2.) Run out and Buy yourself a Glass/Crystal nail File Immediately! (only use these, the emery boards do I repeat do cause peeling).

3.)Use Cuticle oil/cream all over the nail, at least 2 times a day.(look at my other reviews for my favs).....Your cuticles are the key to good nails. Also put it under your nails too.

4.) I take a complete vitamin daily(I don't know if it matters but, it can't hurt!)

5.) Dry your underside of your nails after washings. Then apply a Glycerin based lotion on hands. Use it all over and under nails too.

Good Luck!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2009 10:40:00 AM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Some might not realize that with any nail product, individual body chemistry plays a major role, much like with fragrance. What is HG for one, is a total failure for another.

My disclaimer is that I've only used the old, formaldehyde version of this, in the matte formula, and it did not help my nails at all. I have not used the newer version without formaldehyde, but I can't imagine that it would work better for me. However, this works for many people, although there is a significant percentage who have had their nails become more break-prone with use of this product. I did not experience this; the product just didn't make any noticeable improvement for me. Everyone's results may vary (YRMV)!

My HG is Nailtek Foundation II, which is also a matte, treatment base coat. I find NFII to have the best application, smoothness, drying time, durability, and nail improvement qualities, and it is cheaper.