July 26, 2014 | 1017 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal Waterproof

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2011 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Melis356

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the one Maybelline mascara I haven't loved. I like ones that dry on my lashes pretty instantly. Usually I can blink on a tissue immediately after applying and everything is in place/nothing comes off on the tissue. With this one, there was soo much excess. Too risky to put on and rush out the door to work. I prefer Mayelline's Stiletto and Falsies.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2011 8:33:00 PM More reviews by kristy1234567

Got this in special for $17NZD so pretty cheap. Goes on nicely, no clumping and I like the big brush.
Smudges a bit at the end of the day, usually after I've been riding my horse and sweating.
Can be quite hard to get off, I usually end up with a bit of a "panda eye". Might buy again if its on special

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2011 11:26:00 AM More reviews by ashleystar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best, best, BEST mascara I've ever used! For some reason, only the waterproof version of The Colossal rocks it out for me; I tried switching to the washable version and the results were literally like night and day. I lost a ton of the volume, length and thickness I was used to with this version (waterproof) and it seemed like it clumped up a lot easier, too.

What I adore about this mascara? It delivers everything I love in a mascara; volume, thick-looking lashes without clumps, length AND ability to hold a curl. I'll curl my lashes before applying, then again after the mascara has dried & I get a gorgeous, lasting curl that holds all day.

Definitely my HG of mascaras! I always try other brands/varieties and end up right back here :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by lisasuem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the best mascara I've ever used. Definitely my HG! It does add a lot of volume to my lashes, and a little bit of length, too (though I think these results are probably more due to the brush than the formula of the product, as I've noticed that it tends to be the brush that ultimately makes the difference). The product itself doesn't really clump at all, so you can add several coats without your lashes getting all clumped together. If you're on the fence, I'd say go ahead and try it. It's a drugstore mascara so you're not out too much money if you're completely underwhelmed by it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2011 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Poptimist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This did absolutely nothing for my lashes. It did not thicken or lengthen them at all. I had high hopes for the mascara because it is supposed to be dramatic and I am used to more natural mascaras. I wanted something more dramatic this time around. I also heard good things on youtube. But it was worse than any mascara i have owned in the past few years. The only good thing it did was hold my curl. For the price, it is definitely not worth it. I might give it a 2 if it were cheap...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by taurusgurl5984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Been using this mascara a couple months now. Holds curl wonderfully as most WP mascaras do. I don't get smudging until I've been wearing for more than 10 hours, and only if I am blinking kind of hard (I get dry eyes at the end of the day, so sometimes I close my eyes a lot and blink them sort of hard and that seems to make the mascara smudge). Separates, lengthens, and thickens. It's a no more than 2 coats mascara for me, though. More than two coats looks spidery. For me 1 coat is a nice natural look, and two coats is dramatic. It reminds me of Maybelline Full N'Soft WP that I wore in high school, but a little more dramatic, and less smudgy. I've already re-purchased this a few times to have back ups.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2011 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Nelsy12345

definetly gave me long baby doll lashes. I have nturally long lashes, and this made them pop! This is a mascara i would definetly go back to. Even when it started drying out it rarely clumped. It also laste dme a loooong time so thats a plus!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by katyeridao

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

amazing mascara! holds the curl, lengthens amazingly, and has good volume! although Colossal is a great mascara, i have to say that i really don't see a difference between colossal and the falsies :b i think that the falsies is cheaper though.

i definitely recommend this mascara! however like any mascara it smudges HORRIBLY in the summer time, and if you wear contacts like me, it will smudge -_- . when i'm just wearing glasses though it wears nicely.

**EDIT:

although i love the initial results, this mascara as well as all of the maybelline waterproof mascaras is very irritating to the eyes, especially if you wear contacts :(

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2011 4:24:00 PM More reviews by MiaMore84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after reading all the promising reviews... for starters I have short, stubby, stick-straight, pointing-downwards Asian lashes. My criteria for an HG mascara is as follows: MUST hold a curl, must volumize w/out clumping--clumping causes my already sparse lashes to look even more puny, MUST lengthen due to the fact that my lashes are pretty much non-existent. This mascara did OK in the volume department but the brush was too big for my eyes. Also the formula was so wet that anymore than two coats would weight my lashes down. DID NOT hold a curl. I felt that Maybeline's "Full N' Soft WP" held a better curl and for me, did a better job of evenly coating and volumizing my lashes. It also didn't clump at all either (Full N' Soft) while the Colossal WP kinda clumped if you didn't wait long enough for the first coat to dry. Overall, I like Full N' Soft better.

Pros:
- Volumizes well
- Not too wet formula
- Very waterproof
- Doesn't smudge
- No flaking
- Formula gets better with time

Cons:
- Makes lashes kinda crunchy and stiff
- Hard to build layers
- Can get a little clumpy and stick lashes together if not applied properly
- Huge wand is uncomfortable
- Need a lash brush

I heard the non-waterproof version was a lot better so I'll probably try that one

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2011 9:09:00 PM More reviews by AriSatomi

Udate 28-09-11: I think this mascara is very useful when it comes to layering, because as we all know, CG Lash Blast WP is extremely hard to remove. I've used it alone for a while without layering with my Colossal WP and it took me four rounds with Vaseline! I'm sticking with the Colossal-LB WP combo because together, they give me voluminous fluttery lashes that stay curled all day. The rating has been changed to 4, as I can use this mascara for weekends when I don't want to bother with removing LB WP. :) This is a very worthwhile mascara if you don't normally have smudging problems.

Update 26-09-11: I find that after a day, it smudges onto my lower lids. I've purchased the CG Lash Blash Waterproof to layer over this mascara so that it stops smudging, but I just wnd up using only that mascara. I will not repurchase, but I'll use up the tube that I have. I do think that it is a good mascara, the only problem being smudging for me.

Original review: Thanks to all of your with hard to curl lashes that have reviewed this mascara!! I knew I could trust so many people's opinion on this. I normally wear liner daily, so to me, mascara was never essential. However I've been trying to lay off my gel/liquid liners lately as they are rather difficult to remove. Hence, I have to find a good mascara to define my eyes more. My lashes are rather hard to please: they are thin, sparse, straight, short, and hard to manage. In desperate need to find good mascaras I first tried all the top rating mascaras on MUA. I've used Voluminous, DiorShow, YSL Faux Cils, Definicil, and noumerous others that were also highly rated, albeit are not reviewed by a lot of people: Unstoppable, Beauty Tubes, Double Wear, Clarins Perfect, etc. But I think I've found the one! What I look for in a mascara are the following factors: curl, length, and no smudging. This mascara hold a curl perfectly and it provides medium length. Do note that I have rather dark lashes to beging with, so pigmentation wasn't truly a problem. I also wasn't looking for volume, so I was glad to find that the huge brush defined my lashes very well. I bought the color Glam Black because there was no other choice (my small DS lacks stock updates) but reading about it, I find that it was just what I needed. The packaging is somewhat fun and refreshing after all the classic looking black/gold/navy designs. Although one thing I'd like to see in the packaging is the little clicking part at the neck of the bottle that ensures me that I've properly closed my mascara, but it's no biggie. The smell is rather unpleasant, I agree with everyone, especially because it is waterproof so it's very waxy. But that's not enough for me to dock lippies from the rating because I truly find this mascara much superiour to my other "top pick" purchases. Overall this gets a great rating from me, and I will repurchase.