August 31, 2014 | 1015 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2012 3:08:00 AM More reviews by lriley322

I can't believe how dramatic people are about the smell! Clearly not everyone thinks its "rancid"'or it wouldn't be such a top seller. Personally I enjoy the smell of lavender and use other lavender scented products so I hope philosophy never changes the scent, it's one of the top reasons I repurchased it! Between the sort of whipped texture and lavender scent it feels like a spa product to me, doesn't break me out, and leaves my face feeling great. Only complaints are the price and package.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 2:28:00 AM More reviews by ElizabethAnn416

I absolutely LOVE this stuff!!!! It makes my skin sooooo soft and moisturized. I have normal skin that gets a bit dry and blotchy and red in the winter. I put this on at night and I wake up to a happy, healthy looking face! I don't know what smell you guys are talking about. The one with SPF has a strong smell, but I find this one to have none....

Oh well. Love this stuff!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by pastizzi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can't get past the smell. I put it on before I went to bed and couldn't fall asleep because the smell was terrible. I got up and scrubbed my face to get it off. Oh Hope in a Jar, what are they putting inside you?

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by yay4brunettes

Smells like an old lady's mothball closet. Breaks me out. Hate the 'tub' that causes me to have to stick my fingers down into it time and time again. Overpriced. Yuck. I hate that a friend talked me into buying this product. All I use it for now is to remove undereye makeup residue in the morning.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2012 8:45:00 PM More reviews by jlprincipe87

Hmmm...lots of really bad reviews! Let me start with my skin type, I'm sure that's key.

I have very dry and VERY sensitive skin. I get the occasional breakout, but nothing too bad as far as acne goes.

So far I'm really liking this moisturizer! It's very light and sinks right into my skin. It doesn't leave any greasy look or feeling that others are complaining about (possibly because my skin is very dry).

I put this on at night after I get out of the shower and have noticed a HUGE difference when I wake up in the morning. My skin texture is much better and it seems to be evening out my skin tone as well.

I like the smell when I first put it on...it has a lavender scent to it imo. Once I'm done rubbing it in, I do notice a strange sent for a few seconds, but it quickly disappears, so I have no major complaints.

All in all I really enjoy this moisturizer! I just started using the Purity cleanser...so far so good, but I'd like to give it a few weeks before posting a review.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2012 11:25:00 PM More reviews by minjing319

Many people complain about the smell of this prodcut. I personally don't think it's that bad. It has some herbal or medicated scent but not overwhelming, and it goes away after a little while. I kind of like products that have a natural scent than ones that are masked with strong fragrance. So its scent doesn't bother me at all.

This moisturizer has the texture of a whim cream, very light and smooth. It's absorbed quickly by the skin. Not greasy and has the right amount of hydration for my combination/oily but dehydrated skin.

I just started using it and can't comment on its anti-aging result. But my feeling is that it's more like a luxury version of basic moisturizer. It moisturizes well, doesn't harm the skin, but don't expect it'll rescue you from all those fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots. I like it enough to want to continue using it, but I probably won't buy it again because of the high price ($39 for 1.7 oz).

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by hellothere2013

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I still remember Oprahs Favorite things from 2005. She was happily giving away products to a large audience. Hope in a Jar was one of them.

I stared in utmost wonder when she went on about the product. "I want it!!," I thought. But during those years, I thought buying taco bell for lunch was expensive.

Flash forward 7 years, I go to Sephora and get my hands on a sample of Hope in a Jar. Images of Oprah, winter happiness, elves and reindeers, and the audiences cheers all came rushing back to me.
As I opened the small sample, those elves and reindeers collapsed, snow became charcoal and cheers were manufactured laugh tracks. "What the heck was this chemical smelling mess???" I thought. "Oh, but wait," I thought. "This is where the product ironically smells bad, but is wonderful for your face."
I thought about it and applied it to my face. Then I felt the stinging.

Now my memories of Oprahs favorite things is tarnished.

La Fin.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2012 10:38:00 AM More reviews by TheHateress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've gotten several deluxe samples of Hope in a Jar and really, really, really, wanted to love it. After exfoliating applied it liberally to my face and neck, and let it sink in. I think that as a moisturizer this works beautifully, my face felt soft and supple, but there's one MAJOR thing that will keep me from buying this ever.

It smells atrocious! I put a lot of "stuff" on my face, but I have never once had a product which smelled like I was rubbing chemicals and plastic all over myself. I can't believe no one's done anything about it, because it truly is unbearable.

I thought that if perhaps I were to apply my makeup atop it, it would help the smell dissipate, but it still permeated through a good 2 layers of foundation and powder.

I really wanted to like this, but I think I'll stick with my Dior Hydra Life Youth Creme.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2012 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Suzy12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got a sample of Hope in a Jar because I wanted to try a more expensive-maybe better-moisturizer then the drug store brand I was using. I'm going to go back to the drug store brands. This was just awful. The smell was such a turn-off on it's own I wouldn't use it again. My skin felt heavy and looked so greasy even with a small amount applied.( I don't think a face moisturizer should have any perfume or added scents to it. They can be irritating.) Now I am hesitant to try the more expensive creams. I'll have to go through this site to see what sounds good.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by editanazaryan

WONDERFUL moisturizer!!!!!!! love love love! so light and refreshing, smell is okay. love the rosy glow!!!!! #1 in my book!!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No