Castor Oil

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 11/4/2012 10:18:00 PM

Ovarian cysts anyone?? this might interest you....

Most reviews about castor oil seem to be about lash/eyebrow growth. Although I have tried it for that purpose I can't really give a rating because I didn't use it consistently enough to really rate it fairly. I did, however, want to let you ladies know that castor oil is also used for many other skin and medical issues.

About two months ago an ultrasound showed that I had a hemorrhagic cysts about 2.8cm in one of my ovaries. I was having dull aches on my side, feeling bloated and full, which are symptoms of cysts. The doctor told me to just watch and wait as they can resolve on their own within a few months. I didn't want to take on such a "passive approach" so I did some research and found out that one of the uses for castor oil is to dissolve cysts. That night a made a castor oil pack, and put heating pad over it for about an hour, the next day I still had symptoms. I did it again the next night but left it on for about 2 hours. The next day, I felt a slight burning sensation in my tummy area( a sign of hemorrhagic cyst dissolving) and by the next day all my symptoms of pain, bloating, feeling full COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED! after having it for more than a month. I'm not saying this will work for all that have cysts but if you do a search you'll find this remedy on many sites. I'm no doctor but I wanted to share this with you as I know cysts can affect many women of child bearing age. I'm so sick of overpriced products not doing even half of what they claim to do, so I'm ecstatic that something so cheap and natural actually worked for me, I hope this helps!

on 10/24/2012 6:43:00 AM

When I was younger I made the mistake of "attempting" to style my eyebrows into a desirable shape. This over the period of three years led to the rather disastrous result of my eyebrows consisting of more pencil then hair.

When I'd finally had enough of my fake eyebrows and needing to pencil them in everyday I decided to quit cold turkey and bare the embarrassment of what I'd done. When hair growth proved slow I retreated to the internet and fortunately was able to read about the many benefits of castor oil.

The greatest part has to be how easy it is to find and not to mention the price. I purchased the bottle and applied it every night over my eyebrows and within a few weeks I noticed significant hair growth and within two months I no longer needed to apply it at all. I'd definitely recommend this to someone trying to regrow hair but perhaps not to someone thinking of applying it to their eyelashes, do to it's extremely oily texture.

on 10/8/2012 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Castor oil is one of my favorite oils. It's dirt cheap, versitile, natural and works very well. I have been using it once a month in hair masks for about 8 months now. I have noticed improvements in my hair in a couple areas. I started to go into a shedding cycle about a week or so before I first tried it, and the shedding immediately decreased. Overall, my shedding has been very minimal now, and it was reduced from the first use. I had quite a few little hairs grow in around the crown of my head, and after I do a hair mask my hair feels very strong. The strands actually feel like they are thicker and breakage/split ends have decreased which means thatís not just in my mind! The shine is off the charts too (not in a bad way).

I have noticed that it has darkened my hair a tiny bit over time. THIS IS NOT A TYPICAL RESULT. If you have blonde or red hair naturally, just be a little cautious. If you want to naturally darken your hair, Castor Oil could be a good option. I have very fair hair (naturally a golden toned red) and after using Castor Oil every other week for the first 4 months my hair slowly got a more coppery tone that would have been typical, had it been during winter. It wasnít anything that other people would have noticed, but I cut down the use to once a month and I no longer see any color changes.

However, this brings me to the secondary use of castor Oil in my beauty routine. I put it on my eyelashes and under eye area every night. I noticed that my eyelashes darkened after just 1 week! After a few months they are noticeably darker and longer. I have dark spots on the inner corners of my eyes and after 2 months those have faded by about 75% as well.

Background -
Castor Oil (Ricinus communis) is a vegetable oil extracted from the castor bean (actually a seed). It is very thick and has a slightly sticky texture. It appears as a clear to pale yellow liquid depending on the level of refinement (colorless being the most refined). Castor Oil is very useful for dry, brittle, damaged hair and particularly for hair loss because of the verity of beneficial Acids it naturally contains.

For the Scalp -
Castor Oil has strong antimicrobial and anti inflammatory properties because of itĎs high level of Ricinoleic Acid which inhibits the growth of bacteria, mold, viruses and yeasts. This is an acid rarely found and makes Castor Oil especially good for treating dandruff and other scalp ailments.

The small molecular size of Castor Oil allows it to penetrate deep into the scalp and roots quickly along with any other ingredients it is mixed with. At the same time Castor Oil clarifies your scalp and roots by dissolving any material that is causing clogged follicles and built up (accumulation of products, bacteria, dirt, hard water or excess sebum) while leaving behind vital nutrients and long lasting moisture.

It naturally contains Oleic, Palmitic, Linoleic and Linolenic Acidís which are commonly used in many hair loss products. Oleic acid is used to strengthen and make hair thicker as it grows. Palmitic Acid helps to prevent hair loss and is very good for nourishing, repairing, and protecting hair. Itís used in many conditioners and other conventional products. Linoleic and Linolenic Acidís block DHT (Dihydrotestosterone)which is a common cause of hair loss. High levels of DHT can be caused by stress or male/female pattern baldness as it increases in your follicles over time. This is why using Castor Oil decreases shedding and strengthens your hair follicles while stimulating your hair to grow faster, thicker and stronger over time. These properties of Castor Oil also make it ideal for preventing post natal hair loss.

For the Hair -
Many of the same reasons Castor Oil restores the health of your scalp and hair follicles apply to your hair as well. Itís ability to sink deep into the hair shafts can help to reverse damage done by heat styling, weather, products corrosion and stripping of moisture.The lasting moisture protects further damage, prevents frizz, makes your hair softer and appear healthier overall (unfortunately, there is no way to truly repair damaged hair other than letting it grow out). The added strength prevents split ends and breakage.

Where To Buy and How To Use Castor Oil -
If you have a whole or Natural Foods type store in your area, you should be able to find Castor Oil there. If you want to get Castor Oil, make sure it says Hexane Free and either Cold or Expeller Pressed ON THE BOTTLE. The brand of Castor Oil I buy is Heritage Products which is $6.40 for 16fl oz. (or $3.85 for 8fl oz.).

Because of the thickness of Castor Oil, I mix it with other oils for hair masks. It can be used on it own as well, but I find that itís easier to wash out when mixed. Allow the oil to soak into your hair and scalp for at least an hour or two. The longer the better. Always test new oils on a small section of your skin before you apply it to a large area. Just in case. If you experience any irritation it could be because of the concentration of the oil. Mix a higher proportion of another oil for the next use. It could also be an allergic reaction. If you are pregnant donít use Castor Oil without talking to your doctor first.

on 10/1/2012 3:21:00 PM

I don't know what people are talking about, I used Castor Oil on my eyelashes for months and absolutely nothing happened. If you want something that actually works for eyelashes, get Latisse.

on 9/30/2012 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

For some unknown reason, my hair has been falling out more than normal for the past few years, and I've tried so many remedies including Nioxin shampoos. What really worked for me was, using a mixture of castor oil, coconut oil and olive oil, I massage my scalp on alternate days, leave it on for an hour, then shampoo it off. After using this method for about 3 months, I'm seeing a lot of new hair growing out, which I'm very pleased with! Highly recommend castor oil, it's so inexpensive and does not contain a bunch of synthetic substances in other commercial hair growth products.

This really does work!!...I've been using this on my brows and lashes for a few months now...my brows/lashes have never looked better. I had sorta bald parts in my brows and the hair has filled in....I'm also constantly having to trim my brows with scissors now because they grow so fast. My lashes have always been long, but they would always crease and bend in different directions. I had to pluck them out sometimes because they wouldn't go into place even when I used a curler...not anymore.*******What I do is apply the oil on my brows and lashes with a lip brush (apply it to my lids like an eye liner and kinda coat my lashes too) about a half hour/hour before bed to make sure it soaks in before getting wiped off on the pillow while I sleep. I'm using a store brand castor oil from a drug store.When the bottle is done I'll go and get a really good organic cold pressed one from a health food store because I assume it's probably better, more pure.

on 9/12/2012 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love castor oil!!! I use it for a variety of things and recommend it for the following:

Eyebrows/Lashes - it will definitely help you keep both in tip top shape! I do notice growth as well with my eyebrows - not so sure about the lashes.

Face- When your skin is in need of some serious moisturizing tlc - this is a good product to use. I use aha products and sometimes I really need to balance out my parched skin and I simply apply a dime sized amount to my face in the evening and wake up to hyrdated, dewey skin.

Bruises - helps to heal bruises more quickly.

Soreness - You can place castor oil on your sore area, cover with plastic and then heat and it significantly reduces pain, inflamation. By the following day your soress will be just about gone.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I got a medium ish sized bottle from a pharmacy in Bedford for £3.27 :-)

I let a trickle of this gloop onto my cleaned mascara wand (max factor one) the brush it through my lashes, en do the same on the other eye. Sometimes I'll whizz the wand over my brows as well.
I've noticed since doing this nightly with the odd hour in a morning, my lashes are much much longer than usual! I've had no issues with dry or falling out lashes!

Well another great use is to remove waterproof mascara! I had to buy some waterproof max factor for the first time ever due to constant rainy damp weather her in Manchester uk! I soaked a cotton wool pad with castor oil, rubbed another cotton wool pad ton this to distribute it between two pads, and gently rubbed at my lashes, which took the lot off no problem!

Awesome product!

on 9/4/2012 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

★★★ I love using this product everywhere, brows, skin, and hair!

Brows: I used it a few weeks and I noticed that they appeared thicker. Not sure if they thickened or not. I would imagine you would have to apply this every day.

Skin: For use when I get out of the shower for my eczema. It's a little sticky but if you do other things like brush your teeth, do your hair etc before you put on your clothes it will absorb into your skin. I would recommend using it when you skin is damp for easier application.

Hair: Only a very small amount for adding to deep conditioners etc because washing it out can be difficult and time consuming if you use too much.

on 8/4/2012 9:59:00 AM

Ive been using castor oil (and some good old petroleum jelly) on my eyelashes and eyebrows religiously every night before bed, for about a week now.. and my my have i noticed a difference :D!

I started to use it after hearing so many good reviews about Castor oil for hair growth, whether it be for the stuff growing from ur scalp, or ur face, AND due to the fact that after removing some horrible eyelash extensions that absolutely RUINED by natural lashes, i thought id give this stuff ago.

The results....
I'm quite pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting too much from it but i can definitely notice a difference, and its only been a week!

Length wise I don't see much of a difference but i can clearly see a difference in the fullness in BOTH my eye brows and eyelashes. The places where i usually filled in on my eyebrows, no longer need to be filled in (mind u they only needed a little filling in), and the bald spots along my lash line caused by myself plucking out the stupid eyelash extensions are now being filled by new eyelashes. It seems like there are also more eyelashes growing in the lash line making them fuller (although still short since they are baby eyelashes).

i am absolutely in love with this stuff and would totally recommend it! its dirt cheap too! you have nothing to lose. jus make sure u dont use in on other places on your face!!! :)

Popular Brows Products