Josie Maran Cosmetics 100% Pure Argan Oil

3.9

100% pure organic Argan Oil

on 4/18/2013 2:05:00 AM

Argan oil is a terrific substance although it's not quite as incredible as the hype would make it out to be. Used alone it can make your hair feel greasy and because it lacks silicone oil to make it spreadable, it is hard to distribute well in wet hair. On faces, it's great on my breakout prone, combination (oily here, dry and flaky there) skin. But it does not make your skin perfect, it isn't rich enough for very dry skin, and I think coconut oil is much better on your cuticles and as a body moisturizer (spreads better and is more lubricant, though it made my facial skin break out something fierce). I cannot stress enough that you have to use only a very small amount on your face. If you slather it on you're much more likely to break out. Just use a drop on your forehead and chin, a drop for your cheeks, and the warmth of your skin will make the oil 'melt' (not in a gross way!) and evenly cover your skin.

But the biggest problem I have with the Josie Maran oil is the blatant nature of the rip-off. It's actually shocking that they get away with it. I have found countless brands of the identical product (100% organic cold-pressed argan oil, which is all grown and processed in the same corner of Morocco, all with the same amount going to women's co-ops) at a fraction of the cost, easily available online. Everything---the product, the kind of packaging---is identical. I just bought a 60 ml bottle (a bit larger than Josie's 50 ml bottle) for $16 on a Canadian website.. Compare that to the $58 price tag of Josie's product, and she should be ashamed---and we should be embarrassed if we keep falling for it. I know MUA has a separate rating for price vs. the product itself, but in this case the obscene pricing is so blatant and so cynical that the whole thing merits a downgrade. The oil itself is a 4 or 5 lippie product. Try it. Just don't be taken for a ride by famous people who think we consumers are fools.

on 4/12/2013 11:37:00 PM

I have found this oil to be great for my skin. I tend to use quite a few exfoliating products, including retin a micro, and this seems to calm my skin, make it softer and reduce redness/dryness. My skin is normally combination, with both break outs at times and dryness at others. This appears to create the right balance. I have only started using this in the past few weeks and started out slowly (once every two days at most), but am now using it close to every day. I have not experienced any breakouts from this, although I do think there has been some slight "purging," which I view as a good thing. As I have not traditionally used oils on my skin, I can't compare this to other types of oils and/or less expensive versions of argan oil. I suspect there are equally effective ones out there, but given my positive experience with this so far, I will probably wait a while before I venture out to others. As noted, my skin has been prone to breakouts at times, so I would not let a fear of this keep you from at least trying the product. In my case, breakouts are reduced (likely by counter-balancing what is probably over-exfoliation on my part).

on 4/12/2013 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this argan oil it does a great job of hydrating my skin and gives my skin a dewy glow. I like that this does not contain any thing but the argan oil (especially alcohol)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Josie Maran describes her 100% Pure Argan Oil as a legendary lightweight oil, grown organically in Morocco, is rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Use it as a fast absorbing daily moisturizer or to heal and condition everything from cuticles to split ends. Historically, Argan Oil has been used to treat acne, stretch marks, and skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis." I received a little 5ml (.17 fl oz) bottle in my January Ipsy Bag . Josie Maran offers three sizes of her Argan Oil, which ranges in price for $14 to $96. Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil is organic, vegan friendly, fragrance free, paraben free, and very beneficial to the Moroccan economy. Josie Maran products can be bought through the brand's website and at Sephora. Josie Maran claims that this oil is non-irritating, non allergenic, and clinically tested. This oil was harvested in Morocco.
My sample of Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil came in a grey box that offers lots of information on this oil, including some claims and a list of uses for this oil, as well as Josie Maran's personal beauty philosophy. The oil it's self is "housed in a recyclable glass bottle" with a dropper. The Josie Maran logo and product name are printed on the brown bottle. Both the bottle and the box are recyclable.
Not gonna lie, I was pretty skeptical about Argan Oil. Companies are putting it in EVERYTHING lately, I've even seen a hairdryer that was "argan infused". I always take the trendy new "miracle" ingredient with a grain of salt (and so should you). I tried Josie Maran's Argan Oil for all the suggested uses. I tried it in my hair and it made it horrendously greasy. I tried it on my face and didn't feel like it was any more or less effective or beneficial than your average moisturizer. I tried this oil on my nails and cuticle...and well, nothing can help them, they're too far gone. I was ready to give up on Josie Maran's Argan Oil, it just didn't wow me no matter how I used it. Before I truly gave up hope on this oil, I googled some other uses and found a website that suggested using Argan Oil as a lash growth serum. I gave it a soht and wow! My lashes seem much healthier, they don't fall out as often, so my lashes seem to grow longer and fuller than they did before I started applying Argan Oil to them on a nightly basis. My lashes also seem to hold a curl better!
I'm pretty pleased with the results I experienced when I used Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil as a lash serum, it's more effective than both olive oil and vaseline. Otherwise, I find this natural oil to be pretty overrated. I much prefer Bhringraj and Pequi oils for my hair, and I'm content with my current moisturizers, so I likely won't purchase this oil. If you're interested in Argan Oil, I encourage you to try the 15ml size, which sells for a wallet friendly $14. Don't let my kinda negative review deter you from trying Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil, it seems to work out for almost everyone, in one way or another.

on 4/7/2013 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this stuff. I was hesitant to try this because it is an oil and I have terribly oily skin. After reading some reviews on Sephora from people who also have oily skin, I decided to try it and it is now my favorite beauty product. It is seriously a miracle product for me--For both face and body. I bought the trial size for $14 at Sephora and next time I will buy a larger size. I use it in place of a night cream, a cuticle oil, facial moisturizer...It really is a lot of bang for the buck.

on 3/27/2013 11:03:00 PM

As a male with dry acne-prone skin i can happily say this facial oil has dramatically helped my skin. I experience less break outs and my complexion is noticeably improved. I use it on my face during the day and at night i put 2 drops in my moisturizer; i wake up with very smooth skin. Results have been great and i almost depend on this product now. The only downside is the price, there are cheaper argan oil products out there.

on 3/22/2013 6:46:00 PM

I've been using Josie Maran's Argan oil for almost a year and I love it! Before I used this product I used to get constant cystic acne, you know the ones that hurt so bad! So I traded in all my products (aside from Boscia's cleanser) and started over with this included. I began toning with Mario Badescu's Glycolic Acid Toner, moisturized, and sealed it with this Argan oil.

You have to be cautious about purchasing Argan oil as there are many who'll make them but it will not be in its pure form, which is necessary for getting the benefits, otherwise, you might as well slather any oil on your face. That's why I love this oil, it's pure yet so moisturizing. I am just so curious how they create this. Anyway, I love it!!! This product is a little on the thicker side so I use it at night and just a dab in the morning.

on 3/20/2013 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

I really do love this product. I always buy the travel size because I don't find myself going through it quickly. I love to use a drop of this with my foundation to create a dewy look. My skin is oily and it has not made me break out. In fact, it actually does not make me look oily at all. Sometimes I'll mix it with my regular nighttime moisturizer and it does wonders in the morning. My skin just looks and feels so soft and clear. It's expensive, but if you do not see yourself using a TON (like myself), I'd say travel size is fine for $15.

on 3/17/2013 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using Josie Maran's Argan oil for about a month now and I love it. I was concerned about trying the oil, but it feels so natural. I have had friends comment on the increased smoothness and even-ness of my face. I have horribly dry spots on my face during the winter (in combination with a sometimes oily t-zone) and this has worked wonders. I even use it on my scalp sometimes before bed!

I usually do not like to add products to my daily regimen, for fear that it will break me out. I had not problem adding this though. It has really given my skin an overall healthy look and feel, which helps me get over how ridiculously expensive it is!

on 3/17/2013 7:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

I am in love with product and have been using it for over a year now. I do however have a true dry skin I probably would not recommend it for someone that is oily or prone to breakouts. To anyone that does have a dry skin this stuff is amazing and nothing else I've tried compares.