September 1, 2014 | 1614 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2008 8:48:00 AM More reviews by DebWil

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

One of the only cleansers I've used that takes off eye makeup and doesn't re-deposit it on your face!!! It smells wonderful, takes off ALL my makeup. The only reason I give 4 lippies instead of 5 is that I use another cleanser for skincare purposes afterwards. But I think most people don't use the same cleanser as they do makeup remover. Maybe they should market it as a MU remover. Hmmm...
Anyway, I love this and will go back to it. I just finished the HUGE 32 oz. pump bottle I got off of QVC. It lasted me almost a year and half of daily use!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2008 5:00:00 PM More reviews by YaddaYaddaYadda

I've been using this cleanser for years now, ever since I got a large sample from Sephora. It works well for me -- cleanses without irritation or stripping my skin, and I like the fragrance. It isn't very good at removing heavy makeup or my sunscreen, but it's an excellent morning cleanser (or for days I don't wear much makeup/don't go outside). The huge bottle from QVC is an excellent deal (otherwise, it's relatively expensive), though I now get the Philosophy Girl auto shipments. Luckily, their basic skincare package agrees with me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2008 9:33:00 PM More reviews by fabulous_crystal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great basic cleanser. Doesnt try my skin out or make it break out even though it has tons of different oils, but it didn't miraculously clear my skin either. Good basic morning wash and after-gym face wash. I actually like the smell, and it seems to remove makeup and sunscreen pretty good. Just a good, plain, basic safe cleanser. This got me through the winter when Clinique Liquid soap dried my face out too much.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2008 3:22:00 PM More reviews by kissncole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely LOVE this cleanser. I have very sensitive skin and used clinique for a while but wanted to change things up a bit. I got this as a package and absolutley love it. Not extremely foamy, but leaves my skin feeling clean - not tight - and it is perfect for every morning use.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/12/2008 1:55:00 PM More reviews by ngvozdov

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this cleanser after hearing so many good things about it. I have sensitive/dry skin and I broke out after using it. I've never returned a skincare product before, but I returned this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2008 5:39:00 PM More reviews by jenryan82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser. It is gentle and it removes all of my makeup. I have even found other uses for it. It makes a great makeup brush cleanser and I've even used it to take stains off delicate sweaters. The only thing I would complain about is the bottle. It is sometimes very had to get the product out. I usually decant it some from the large bottle into the smaller 10oz squeezable bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2008 4:48:00 PM More reviews by rennah7

I love this cleanser, and will be sad when it runs out!

It takes all my makeup off easily and smells clean & fresh.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2008 12:12:00 AM More reviews by nhhnh42

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love Purity Made Simple. I got it in the 32oz size during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and it lasts forever. It takes off makeup SOOO easily. The smell isn't great compared to most Philosophy products but it's easy to ignore that. I use it along with the Micro Exfoliating Scrub and my skin always feels extremely soft afterward.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/30/2008 10:34:00 PM More reviews by vatmark

I used to love Purity but unbeknown to most, Philosophy has gone and changed the formula. They decreased the essential oils and increased coconut alcohol, glycerin, polysorbate 20 and carbomer. Philosophy continues to deny that it was changed when they are questioned. Then they said a surfactant was replaced. They e-mailed me saying that the original ingredient label was wrong and showed me what it should have looked like. Then showed me a 3rd label with the new surfactant. Guess what? My ingredient label didn't match any of them. I don't know what Philosophy is up to.

This new version looks to have a more yellowish cast to it. It is very watery, smells more alcoholish and is drying to the skin.

If you have an old bottle of purity compare it to the new bottles that have recently come out.

I won't be purchasing it anymore. I will go back to Cetaphil.

57 out of 63 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2008 8:56:00 AM More reviews by spoilediam

I love this product. It cleans my makeup off completely and leaves my skin with a rosy glow. It smells nice, too, but the scent is not overwhelming. The packaging is first rate, as well. It isn't cheap, but the large bottle lasts for months.