Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 9/22/2008 12:03:00 PM

Does a great job. I still take off my eye makeup separately prior to using this at night as I don't like the idea of eye makeup residue mixing in with the cleanser as I'm cleaning the rest of my face. I've been using the travel size bottle for at least 2 months now and still have half of it left. At first, it left my skin red and I thought uh oh! but I think I was using too much. Now I use a really small amount - 1/2 a teaspoon or so - and mixed with a little warm water, I get plenty of cleanser. And of course I use Hope in a Jar moisturizer afterwards. My face and I are happy campers!

on 9/21/2008 11:12:00 PM

Best cleanser I've ever used...and now it's all I'll use (for about the last 3 years). It's exactly what they claim, very pure and gentle and very effective. I don't love the price, but the large bottle really does last a SUPER long time, you don't need to use very much of this stuff at each cleansing. my face never feels dried out after washing, makeup comes right off (even waterproof mascara) and it doesn't have any kind of offensive odor. Overall, it's completely worth the cost.

on 9/21/2008 2:25:00 PM

I thought this way nice. It's not a bad product, I will finish off the bottle I have, but I will not buy another one because it isn't worth the money. Yea, it removes make-up pretty well, but so do about a thousand other drugstore cleansers that cost $3. It didn't break me out though which is good, nor did it dry out my skin. I think it's just very basic, which is good, but not worth the $$$.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My skin is flawless when I use this. When I switch to another cleanser, I break out. It gets rid of all makeup too. Love it.

on 9/15/2008 4:48:00 PM

I love this cleanser. Its quite pricey in the UK - 25 a bottle, but its a big bottle and lasts forever. Purchased cheaper supplies in the US recently from Sephora! Packaging is basic but I quite like that actually. It removes all my makeup without a problem, and leaves my skin feeling fresh, clean but not tight. Seems to just melt makeup and dirt away. Does not foam on your face. I don't really get spots nowadays but I've used this on and off for years and when I did get the odd breakout I think this cleanser really helped to calm my skin, and get it really clean. I use this with a muslin cloth to gently exfoliate my skin after massaginf the cleanser in and rinsing it off. I have used loads of wash-off cleansers(everything from Dove soap and supermarket own-brands/L'Oreal/Olay through to Chanel/Origins/Clarins/Clinique/Kiehls/Molton Brown/Eve Lom/Estee Lauder/REN/Liz Earle etc etc etc...) and I really think this is one of the best ones out there(but I also love Dr Nick Lowe's foaming facewash, which is much cheaper!) Don't know why it isn't recognised in more magazine 'beauty halls of fame' etc - I think it beats Eve Lom hands down!

on 9/12/2008 12:26:00 AM

I really love this stuff, I consider it the better upgraded version of Cetaphil. Gentle, cleanses very well, has a distinct smell that I like. The packaging is basic and nothing spectacular like all philosophy products. It's not cheap but very worth it for a good quality cleanser. Will definitely buy it again once it runs out.

*UPDATE*
The key is to not use too much, although it is gentle it lathers up so it will dry you out if overused. Try a dime sized portion mixed with some water.

on 9/4/2008 10:52:00 PM

Cleanser brands I've tried: Clinique, Shisheido, CVS-type(Neutrogena, Cetaphil, CLean & Clear, etc).

I gave this a try because the small bottle at Sephora was only ($10) - just slightly more than what you would by at the drugstore. I've repurchased it twice already and I think it's done some good on my skin. It's rather gentle so it might not work too well on anyone with very oily or very dry skin, but my skin is at a weird combo dehydrated state. It seems to like this fine. I believe it cleared up some zits too. When I stopped using this (because I lost the bottle), I started to use different cleansers. I'm not sure if it's beacuse I was switching cleansers too much or what I started doing, but I just recently got more and more zits. I'm attributing it to the trio of shisheido products that I"m currently using. I'm going to repurchase this to see if it really does do the trick. Will update afterwards.

also, note: my skin is the type that never seems to be zit-free. even on it's good days, it's got 1 or 2. and i'm usually oily on the O-zone instead of T ( all around the outer edges of my face BUT the cheeks) although recently it's just been everywhere - ahhh!! I need to figure out what's causing this! :( I'm hoping that going back to purity will at least solve the cleanser issue since it's more mild.

Edit: forgot to mention that this cleanser does take off most of my makeup rather easily. The black liner or waterproof mascara is sometimes harder though... for awhile i used to use the dove face cloths to remove the eye makeup before using purity to clean the rest of my face.

on 9/1/2008 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this product once and really couldn't understand what the hype was all about. It is just an okay product, I have come across other products that do a much better job. Personally, not my favorite.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I LOVE this. Seriously, it is the best face cleanser I have used. Though I have an oily, acne-prone T-zone, my cheeks are extraordinarily dry and go crazy flaking and scabbing if I use a cleanser that is even mildly drying. (NOT pretty.) I've used Purity for about a year now, and really it's the best thing that's happened to my skin care routine. Somehow (and this is a mystery to me) it manages to take off all of my makeup without foaming. I put a quarter-size amount into my palm and mix with a few drops of water and slather that on my face. I think the trick is to rub it in really well for longer than you would normally, because the whole concept of this is that it "melts away" your makeup, which it certainly does (at least for me.) It even takes off waterproof concealer. And the scent is heavenly - it's unoffensive, sort of like an herbal tea infusion... lovely

on 8/28/2008 3:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

WOW! I'm amazed at the number of reviews of people who say this stuff didn't take their make-up off, and my question is.... what in the world kind of make-up are you using?!?! Seriously, because I can't seem to make my make-up LAST, so any rec's would be great! LOL! Anywho, on to the review!
Oh Purity.. how many ways can I tell you I love you? Well, really, only one since I don't speak any other languages! =P Purity (along with Retin-A, a handful of other Philosophy products, and diligence and patience on my part) has saved my skin! I started using Purity after I got an Rx for Retin-A (for acne- not severe, but persistent breakouts on my chin and mouth area, as well as "pop ups" anywhere else, and a WHOLE LOTTA blackheads!) When I started the Retin-A, I dropped all my other cleansers (which were probably over-kill, and only making my acne issue worse, but hind-sight's... well, you know the rest!) and started using Cetaphil. Now that was okay, but I'm not a big fan of the texture of Cetaphil, so I asked my Dr. for a rec, and she said all she uses are Philosophy products. At first, my.. ahem.. @$%hole puckered up at the thought of spending so much for something I'd wash down the drain in a matter of seconds, but my face was peeling, dry, itchy, burning- add a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old into the mix, and I decided $20.00 was a fair price to pay for a bit of relief from the skin problems (a massage helped with the children problems- LOL). So I ordered Purity, and I haven't looked back since!
Purity is actually quite a time-saver, too, because I no longer need a second product to remove my make-up, or a third to "tone" and remove the residue of the make-up remover and cleanser (wow, no wonder men think women are insane! We spend 3 hours putting our face on, and at least half that to take it off! =P)
Fast forward 8 months later- the kids are still driving me up the wall most days, BUT my skin is A*M*A*Z*I*N*G!!! At this very moment I sit here writing this long-winded and TMI review, I have NO PIMPLES!! My skin is soft and supple, the side effects of starting Retin-A long gone, but you will have to pry my Purity from my cold, dead fingers!
Now, I'm not saying that this miraculous transformation is solely dependant of the use of Purity, but I have no doubt that Purity is an integral part of it! It's not harsh or drying at all, nor does it leave any oily (or any other kind of) residue. It takes all my make-up off no questions asked, and prepares my skin for the next step without fail (moisturizer, Retin-A... whatever that next step may be).
Now, skincare seems to be kind of an "all-or-nothing" type of thing- if you have the best Cleanser in the world, it's still not going to help if you're using the worst moisturizer! And the one thing I've really started to learn is that PATIENCE is really a skill to be honed with regards to skincare!! NO PRODUCT IS GOING TO WORK CORRECTLY IF YOU DON'T USE IT CORRECTLY, OR GIVE IT A CHANCE TO WORK!!! This is a mistake I have been notorious for making- using something for less than a month, then tossing in the towel because I didn't see any effects from it. I've now seen the error of my ways, and my skin is thanking me for it! =)
So, all in all, Purity is probably the most effective cleanser I've ever used, and has been elevated to HG status for me! I can't recommend it enough to those who want the best clean out there! =)
And for those with my skin-type (acne-prone, oily- but was dry from the Retin-A for a while, and a bit on the sensitive side) the best advice I can give you is to stop going overboard on treatments- find a gentle cleanser (of course I'd say Purity- but whatever floats your boat), a good oil-free moisturizer, and keep the acne treatment to an actual acne treatment product- putting 10 different types of acne medication on your face at the same time will only make your skin angry at you! If the one you're using turns out not to work, try another (giving it TIME to work) until you find the right one for you (for me it's Retin-A, but it took time for that, too). But keep your cleanser for cleaning and prepping your skin for treatment... and for THAT I totally, 100%, unequivocally recommend..... PURITY!!! =D