December 21, 2014 | 1941 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 1 of 5 on 8/1/2008 3:05:00 PM More reviews by sandyroy01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is ok. Nothing special. I didn't feel like it did anything for my skin but made it oily. I returned this to Sephora.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2008 10:34:00 AM More reviews by hellokittyfan1974

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was an okay overall cleanser. I tought it was kinda over priced and think it just would be cheaper to use any unscented and all natural baby cleanser on the market. It leaves you skin clean like it claims but most soaps do that. I guess if you have sensitive skin this is any okay product line. I got mine as a gift but probaly would not puchase it on my own due to the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2008 1:41:00 AM More reviews by annaalways

I love this cleanser. It really does its job. The only thing I don't like about it is that it take awhile to rinse off. But I love not having to use a separate toner. Most of my makeup just melts away with this cleanser. And doesn't irritate my eyes.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2008 6:18:00 AM More reviews by electrab

gentle creamy/milky cleanser. leaves residue... somehow leaves a little dryness too?

I tried this a few years ago after reading rave reviews on it and was VERY dissapointed. I returned it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by sardun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I lovvveee this product. I've been using it for 2 years now and I have pretty sencitive skin and it never dries it out or causes breakouts. It leaves me skin feeling soooo clean and smooth. After I use Purity I tone my face to get anything I may have missed but the cotton ball always stays pretty clean... meaning purity does the job and gets off all my make-up. I love this product sooo much!!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2008 12:02:00 PM More reviews by waterchika

I got this as a gift, and was excited to try it because of all the hype, but I have to say, there is nothing special about this face wash. I don't even feel like it really even cleanses very well, and it definitely doesn't remove makeup well. I still have to use make up remover afterwards. Might as well just use gentle hand soap? Much cheaper...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2008 2:48:00 AM More reviews by spicypineapple

My skin description:
Iím a MAC NC 25-30 (fair-medium with both pink and beige undertones) with very oily skin that is acne-prone. I have brown eyes and auburn hair. My lips are full, but tend to get dry and chapped. My skin is prone to mild dryness during summer from too much sun and dehydration.

Full product name:
philosophy purity made simple

Use:
I have to confess that Iíve grown to love this product. It has performed well enough to become my current holy grail (HG) cleanser. I didnít actually like it a lot at first because it was far too drying for my skin, which shocked me because of how unbelievably oily my skin can be. I realized what made it so drying was that I followed the directions to the word, and for my skin that was too much.

Now what I do is thoroughly rinse my face off and massage it in for no more than twenty seconds in two parts: first, my eyes and eyebrow area to wash off all remaining eye-make-up. Then, since the above tends to run down my face, I wash the remaining for the same amount of time. If I do anymore it will over-dry my skin.

Caution:
If you are wearing a significant amount of make-up (i.e. sunscreen with primer and more than two layers of foundation or powder) or eye-make-up (more than just basic primer and liner), I highly recommend running some make-up remover over your face, or be prepared to follow up with a (very mild) toner. For eye-make-up, however, not cleaning beforehand could result with product in your eyes. Iíve only had this problem once, though, so donít let this prevent your purchase.

Recommended for:
Normal to combination skin types could try this out, and it may not be too harsh. Recommended most for oily to very oily skin types. Strongly recommend against it for dry, sensitive skin or for those using strong acne treatments alongside.

Repurchase?
I have yet to encounter any other cleaner like this on the market. For that I have to give it a five. Effectively priced, compared to similar, but lower quality department store cleansers. For the price and quality, I will definitely repurchase this. Hope this helps. :) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2008 6:05:00 AM More reviews by curiousgirl

Ok, so I may be a bit quick of the mark reviewing this after just two days of use but WOW!!! Results so good I had to share!! I have been feeling really overwhelmed with choice recently, and had ended up just using Dove soap and coconut oil = vile skin! I asked my sister what she would suggest, since her previously problematic skin was looking fantastic; airbrushed perfect with no makeup on. She recommended this cleanser plus Hope In A Jar moisturiser. I was a bit wary as we do have different skin types - mine mid-tone, normal/combi but prone to broken capillaries if treated too rough, hers super pale, delicate & dry w/rosacea. But oooh hello HG!! Literally the ONLY cleanser I have ever tried (and I've tried a lot!) that does EVERYTHING. Takes off a full face of going out makeup, unclogs pores, soothes, cleans but leaves face film-free & super soft. Not tight or at all dry, but really clean feeling. And no redness as no need to scrub or remove with muslin cloth, yet feels and looks as though it has exfoliated deep into clogged t-zone. It's a miracle in a bottle. So far at least. I bought the 'Makeup Optional Kit' and after using the cleanser, microdelivery peel sachet, and HIAJ moisturiser and eye cream I looked as though I've had the best facial of my life. If these results continue, this will be a keeper for sure. Highly highly recommend. By both me and my sister who is on, like, her fourth set apparently and looking amazing on it! (I will update after the 3 weeks Philosophy says it takes to see a difference with this regime)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2008 2:23:00 AM More reviews by uggslippers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's only been less than two weeks since I started using this, but so far, so good. I didn't know what to think about it after the first few days, but I am starting to form an opinion. Basically, it's a good cleanser: it does its job of removing makeup and cleansing the skin. I have oily skin, but I don't use too much of the product, for fear of stripping my skin. I use just enough so that my skin feels cleansed and refreshed. I think there might be a tendency for some people to use too much of the product because it does not foam much at all. An aside: the fragrance smelled very familiar. I had to think about it and it dawned on me that it smells exactly like the Mint Wash from Origins, which I used back in high school (in the early 90's). Although it smells very similar, the two are very different. I prefer Philosophy. It is more gentle.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 1:48:00 AM More reviews by my_vanity_is_a_mess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Didn't care for this at all. At first it seemed like it'd be a nice cleanser, the texture was moisturizing and it removed all makeup residue, and smelled nice. After drying my face felt very soft and cleansed. It then started to feel like it was stripped and over cleansed, it almost hurt. Will not use this again! Very abrasive cleanser and felt like I used an average bar of soap on my face. Back to my inexpensive Noxema+! No thrills but does it's job! Philosophy products are highly overrated and expensive for what they do or rather don't do.