July 22, 2014 | 1601 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Brahbrah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my HG foundation. I used to use Revlon's Colorstay, but I like this much better. I rationalize the extra cost by only buying it when it's Gift time...then I get several EL extras!

The Shell is the perfect color for my pale skin. The staying power is very strong.

I recently tried to buy it in Canada and was told they discontinued the Shell color. Hope they don't do that in the U.S. (was able to buy it in the states). I'd be lost without this stuff!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 2:40:00 PM More reviews by LindsayLovesYou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The gal below me "solyaska" describes this foundation perfectly! You'll look very polished and flawless when you wear this, BUT it isn't an au natural look, but it isn't cakey either. I am NW20 and wear Ecru, and it's the perfect shade for me. I've been using about a year and this is the only liquid foundation I will wear! Doesn't make me break out at all and it's full coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 1:20:00 PM More reviews by solyacska

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using Double Wear liquid for more than a year and sometimes I get annoyed about how fussy liquid foundation can be in the morning. I swap to something else, have my skin look horrible in it, reach for DW with a sigh and swear I'll never be without it again.

Coverage - this is definitely full coverage and not a natural look. It will look like you have makeup on, but it makes you look very polished. The finish is slightly dewy and also a bit sticky, so I dust with some pressed powder (currently Rimmel Stay Matte) for a matte look.
You don't really need concealer with this. I wouldn't suggest using it under the eyes though as it can be a bit drying there.

Colours - the colour range is fairly wide, although they could have catered better for very light and very dark skintones. The lightes shades (Shell, Ecru and Bone) will cater for NC/NW 15-20-ish skin.

I really like how there are 3 tones of each shade (warm, neutral and cool). The cool tones are really pink, would mostly suit white British skin. The neutrals are good, but still have a slight orange/pink tinge. The warm tones (which I use) are not as yellow as I'd like them to be, but it can be fixed with any powder on top so no biggie there.

If in doubt about whether to get a neutral or warm colour, go for the warm one. They're not very yellow-based at all and they look much more healthy than the neutrals.

Application - I've tried applying this with a brush, sponge and fingertips and sponge wins. It's very creamy and thick, so I dab a few dots on my face, spread with a sponge in downward strokes and then dab the flat side of the sponge over it to create a smooth finish.

The bottle is a little clumsy without and pump and all, but it's easily taken care of. I take the handle of an old makeup brush, dip it into the bottle and dot it on my face. Sorted.

Also, less is more. If you apply too much, it will look ugly and messy. Smooth it on gradually, you only need a tiny dab for the whole face. One bottle lasts me more than 6 months with daily use, it's really worth the price.

Lasting power - probably the best on the market. I have a very, very oily forehead and nothing else holds up. I set it with pressed powder and it easily lasts 10 hours with one or two touch ups.

For those who can't decide between the DW powder and this - the liquid offers much better coverage and a much more sculpted look. It also lasts about 3 times longer than the powder. However, the powder is much quicker to apply as the liquid needs to dry for at least 5 minutes. I wouldn't recommend using the powder on top of the liquid, it will look much too heavy and the powder doesn't control oil very well.

EDIT: Just a few other things I wanted to add.
- This is completely waterproof. I walked home in a massive English downpour and it didn't budge at all. It even stayed matte.
- It won't work with a foundation brush because a brush doesn't spread it very well. You need a larger flat surface to smooth it out, latex sponge or beautyblender works best. For a sheerer coverage use a wet sponge.
- This photographs HORRIBLY. I was actually tempted to knock a lippy off because it makes my face ghost white in photos, it's just awful. Titanium dioxide is listed twice among the ingredients so now wonder. I wouldn't recommend this for weddings or parties or whenever you'll be photographed with flash.

22 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 1:04:00 PM More reviews by saraheisenberg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I purchased this based on the reviews here and am glad I did. I was using BM before which I love, but wanted more coverage and something that lasted longer since my work day is very long. I tend to have oily skin and haven't noticed this making me any more oily or any breakouts.

I never would have though of getting color matched, knowing I could get a sample etc. if weren't for the reviews here. My first match was Dune - when I got home it didn't look quite right - and then I got rematched and the second color was perfect. My first match was way too cool for me. I'm using the Bobbi Brown foundation brush for application.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2009 12:14:00 PM More reviews by gigiberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received a very generous sample of Double Wear in a swap. The sample lasted me about a month or so, with me wearing it almost daily. I believe I used Ecru which was a great match for my NC15 skintone. This has the best coverage out of any liquid foundation I've tried. And I've tried....a lot. I usually use Revlon Colorstay but the DW applied with my MAC 187 brush covered all imperfections, no concealer needed. It was easier to apply than the Colorstay in that it went on a bit smoother and didn't dry as quickly. It also didn't emphasize flaky skin which occasionally happens with Colorstay. It was just as long-wearing as Colorstay for me and lasted all day. However, I suspect this may have contributed to breakouts. But for a special occasion, this is truly the best foundation I've tried for that flawless, porcelain-doll look.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2009 12:19:00 PM More reviews by mayarc87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really wanted to like this. It feels really good on your skin, the rubbing off is very minimal but for some reason at the end of the day my forehead had no more makeup.

The color match was terrible to do. I've read a lot of reviews of people complaining about the match. I use MAC studio fix fluid in NC25 in the summer and NC20 in the winter, I was first matched to 2N1 desert beige, then at another counter 2N2 fresco. I bought the fresco because it looked to be the best shade. The C shades were to pink and the W really yellow, the N after really close look at my house had this salmon look. I should have gotten samples. It did not look natural, more like a mask, but the feel of it was good when you touch it.

After 4 uses I got this dry patch/bad reaction and had to return it. All of my forehead and the side of my cheeks had this feel and look like I have spread crazy glue over it (if you ever let crazy glue dried on your fingers you know what I'm talking about). It took me 3 weeks to fix my skin.

They should have a pump, we shouldn't have to buy one from MAC to make the application better.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2009 1:35:00 AM More reviews by gabby73

It is the best foundation ever! I recommend for everyone to try it

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2009 4:03:00 AM More reviews by pradachic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was really excited to try this after all the reviews that it got, I was looking for a foundation that wouldn't budge from my face and that would last all day. Luckily SA gave me a 10 day sample in Rich Ginger. The product was very drying and I dont think the coverage was great either. I am NW45 and I think i would need a slightly darker colour. I will try again but I dont think this is for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2009 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Toyotacarina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The first time i used this foundation i thought i'd found my HG.
I have acne prone skin with a very uneven skin tone so
after years of confusion at make-up counters i was extatic. The colour was perfect (shell) and it seemed to glide over my smashbox primer well.

Buuut..after an hour or so i started to feel my skin tighten, not in a 10 years younger way but in a: my face is drying up way! I looked in the mirror and was shocked at what a mess my makeup had turned into. It had sank into every pore and line on my face (some i didnt even knew existed!) and had literally sucked all the moisture out of my skin. Blemishes appeared flakey and it looked extremley mask-like. GUTTED!
However i was willing to give Double-wear another chance because the coverage is amazing as i have some acne-scaring.
So i purchased a heavy-duty moisturiser (Elizabeth Ardens 8 hour cream) hoping it would protect my skin under the foundation.
It did work and i found you have to play around with this makeup to find how to make it work for you. Personally i use Macs #187 duo fibre brush to apply. It gives a more subtle buildable coverage than your regular foundation brush.

Also i found even over a primer it needed alot of touch ups through the day. Not great.
So basically-the only thing this foundation has going for it is its coverage. If you need full coverage it does the job but beware! It is very heavy and paint-like. It is extremley drying so make sure you use a good moisturiser and primer. It goes on very matt so i suggest using a good illuminator too.
You have to be very careful with this makeup because it can go horribly wrong.

Ive recently been steered in the direction of Laura Mercier and Lancome for full coverage foundations without the mask effect.
Surely there has to be something better out there for us girls who need a little more coverage!?
So the search continues....

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2009 3:53:00 AM More reviews by rosec239

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this works well, at first i didnt like it because without a primer or moisturizer it just doesnt blend well. other than that i love it, it doesnt give me any breakouts at all.
the price is kind of high but estee lauder gives away a lot of gifts so it kind of made up for it. mine came with 3 make-up bags, mascara, a mirror, a moisturizer, and my now favorite eyeshadow quad.