October 23, 2014 | 1135 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2007 8:40:00 PM More reviews by blubellcows

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I read all the rave reviews about it on P'ville. This really is not expensive at all, $7.99 at Walgreens (I got mine in a BOGOF sale). The colors are somewhat limited, and I got mine in Medium 0-1, Sand. The packaging is a bit inconvenient, with the a mirror that swivels under the powder (does that make sense?). The pad they provide you with isn't as terrible as some that I have seen, but I'd recommend that you use a powder brush, because it will work better.

Packaging aside, the product is amazing. That is, if you have the right skin type for it. This does not provide heavy coverage, so if you want a foundation that makes all your flaws disappear without having to use a concealer, look to cream foundations instead. This is for those of you who have relatively good skin, maybe with slight flaws, uneven skin tone, and slight oilyness. If you fit those requirements, a single application will even out your skin and make you look matte and airbrushed.

I, however, do not fit those requirements. On my cheeks, I am extremely dry and on my nose, I am a oil well. This powder did not last long on my nose, and I had to constantly reapply during the day. On my cheeks, this only accented my dry flakes. I guess it was my application skills, but it seemed to me that during the day, this powder wore off somewhat.

What I like about this product is its blendability. You can brush this on, blend, and it will look good. I also like using this as a primer/eyeshadow. I apply a layer of this powder on my eyes, line with any eyeliner, apply another layer over the eyeliner, and my liner will last and last until I take it off. I even did a test by sleeping with my eyeliner on and taking a shower without removing any of the makeup. When I got out of the shower, I looked in the mirror, and to my surprise, the line that I drew hours earlier had not budged at all. I think I'll repurchase this product just for its eyeliner-fixing properties.

EDIT: This caused me to break out in little skin colored bumps (barely visible, but still pimples).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2007 11:27:00 AM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

So far I am very impressed with this powder...I got the medium color in "cream" and it matches perfectly. I have tried all of the "matte" powders from Clinique, BE, MUFF, Shu Uemura,and this one from Maybelline is REALLY great. I like the little compact design and how it swivvels out, I think it's new and fun.

I love how sheer it is or you can add more for more coverage, and it really does hold the oilies away for a lot longer than the more expensive brands. I love this powder for touch-ups throughout the day, and I live in the hot Arizona heat so nothing is going to magically stop oillies, but this helps a lot! I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2007 8:14:00 PM More reviews by kjo86

Wanted to add this review. I have yet to try the product...but several people have mentioned wanting to know the ingredients. It isn't printed on the product wrapping,etc. It was on a little white tear off flyer attached to the display. Here is a listing of the ingredients-
    TALC, NYLON-12, ISODECYL NEOPENTANOATE, MAGNESIUM STEARATE, DIMETHICONE, PHENOXYETHANOL, CETYL DIMETHICONE, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, METHYLPARABEN, TRIISOCETYL CITRATE, ETHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN,
    (+/-MAY CONTAIN: MICA, CI 77499, CI77491, CI 77492 / IRON OXIDES, CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE) F.I.L. D26541/1 U.S. PATENT PENDING

Hope that helps someone! :)

31 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2007 2:16:00 AM More reviews by la18la

the powder gives you a velvety finish and really controls shine! i have such a problem with my forehead looking greasy that nothing will control it, but this surprisingly did. my skin didn't look powdery either. there isn't that much of a color selection but the colors i saw (and the one i got) were nice and natural looking. usually everything slides off my face but this stayed put. this doesn't give heavy coverage, it lets your natural beautiful skin shine through. i love it. it was under $7, the package isn't that great but i don't care about that (it's not terrible). i have acne prone skin but this didn't make me break out, maybe because it's oil free. (i had the mousse foundation version of this which was ok but gave me acne). you may need a bit of moisture underneath this though.
    let me sum this product up in a few phrases... things i've never said about a pressed powder before...

Velvet Finish* Shine Controlling* Doesn't Cause Acne*

will repurchase!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2007 6:43:00 PM More reviews by skagirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I have mixed feelings about this powder. First of all the packaging sucks! It has a weird turning action to access the mirror and puff. But worst of all, the mirror gets powder on it because the puff is directly stored on it. So the mirror is almost useless cause all i see is powder smears all over it. Its horrible packaging! Another problem i have is that Maybelline doesnt have the best color selection. I tried two shades that seemed to fit me, Beige and Honey. Beige was too light and Honey was a weird color, kinda like milk mixed with chocolate, but when i applied it on my skin, it looked more white. It was really weird. I dont know who would have this skin tone. Anyway, as for the results of the product, it was okay. it gave my skin a matte finish, which i like. it was really sheer, so its more for blotting shine after applying foundation. To me, its just an okay product. i think i would feel better about the powder if they made one that matched my skin tone more. Im disappointed in Maybelline's color selection, they tend to have a lot of light and medium shades and deep dark shades, but NOTHING in between.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2007 12:26:00 PM More reviews by AntsInMyPants

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ok! I'm impressed. I've never used Maybelline products, and in all honesty (not trying to sound like a cosmetics snob because by no means do I use only high end stuff) I never thought I would. I never really thought of Maybelline as quality stuff.

However, I was at Shopper's Drug Mart looking for an AHA lotion for my oily skin, and when I asked the cosmetics counter woman for a suggestion on a nice pressed powder for oily skin, she beelined it straight to the Maybelline display. I must have looked skeptical, because she then turned to me and said that ALL of the women that work in the cosmetics dept' of that particular SDM use this pressed powder. They gave it absolutely rave reviews, and I do have to say that the girl who helped me...her skin was beautiful, and she did say that she was currently wearing the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Powder.

Ok - now to my experience. Today is my 2nd day using it, and I really like it. I mean, I really REALLY like it, in a Sally Field just won another Oscar kind of way. My skin looks really fresh and even, it's nicely matte and it stays matte for much longer than it normally does. I don't have to touch up at 10am anymore - I can make it until at least lunch hour before blotting the oils and patting this powder on - and even then - i'm not THAT oily looking. So this powder does what it says it does. I will definitely repurchase it - and contrary to a few of the other reviewers here, I really like the nifty packaging. :D

The only reason that I took off a lippie was for the price. It's 15 bucks CAD for this little gem, (and it IS little) and for a Maybelline product, I find that steep. But then again, the price isn't stopping me from believing that i'll purchase this again.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2007 10:02:00 AM More reviews by abbyten

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Had I not read the good reviews on MUA for this product I would never have tried it. Every Maybelline powder I tried in the past was chalky and totally unflattering. This powder, on the other had, is one of the best I have ever tried. It goes on so smoothly (I have used a brush instead of the puff included in the container), makes my pores invisible, and it just disappears into my skin leaving it looking great without any powdery texture. A definite rebuy.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2007 5:41:00 AM More reviews by jomia23

Really liked this for me in Beige "50" and it matched perfectly, I'm NC35. Not too opaque, not too sheer. Perfect as a blotting powder for me. Can someone at Maybelline please come up with more attractive packaging? PLEASE!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2007 6:31:00 PM More reviews by shooootastarrrr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

really good powder. i actually like the packaging too- it seems like it won't break easily like other powders. i haven't broken out yet and my skin actually seems to be clearing up. weird. i thought it was $8 but i actually paid $5 for it- it was on sale and i didn't even know it! wow. good stuff. i used the third shade of light.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2007 11:32:00 AM More reviews by mochasplash

this product is the best powder i've tried to control oil. i use it in dark (latte)
    it works better than matte fx which is ridiculously expensive. ive tried many other powders and this one has the be the best. it goes on smooth and controls oil for hours! no other powder i've tried has last for hours like this one. i was surprised with this product because the maybelline dream matte foundation is crap and this powder is just great. i didnt get it cheap, i paid just over $10 at walmart for it but it was definitely worth it. i will most likely stick to this powder from now on. it doesnt build coverage which i like and makes my face feel smooth. definitely worth trying if you havent already.
    i dont mind the clicky turning compact, i think its a good idea that the (very cheaply made) applicator is kept away from the powder itself and also contains a mirror.
    this is the best eyeshadow base to prevent creasing.. i usually dont wear eye shadow because of creasing but using this powder first keeps my shadow smooth and fresh!
    ive had 2 of these and they both crack.