October 24, 2014 | 1635 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2008 6:18:00 AM More reviews by electrab

gentle creamy/milky cleanser. leaves residue... somehow leaves a little dryness too?

I tried this a few years ago after reading rave reviews on it and was VERY dissapointed. I returned it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by sardun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I lovvveee this product. I've been using it for 2 years now and I have pretty sencitive skin and it never dries it out or causes breakouts. It leaves me skin feeling soooo clean and smooth. After I use Purity I tone my face to get anything I may have missed but the cotton ball always stays pretty clean... meaning purity does the job and gets off all my make-up. I love this product sooo much!!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2008 12:02:00 PM More reviews by waterchika

I got this as a gift, and was excited to try it because of all the hype, but I have to say, there is nothing special about this face wash. I don't even feel like it really even cleanses very well, and it definitely doesn't remove makeup well. I still have to use make up remover afterwards. Might as well just use gentle hand soap? Much cheaper...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2008 2:48:00 AM More reviews by spicypineapple

My skin description:
Iím a MAC NC 25-30 (fair-medium with both pink and beige undertones) with very oily skin that is acne-prone. I have brown eyes and auburn hair. My lips are full, but tend to get dry and chapped. My skin is prone to mild dryness during summer from too much sun and dehydration.

Full product name:
philosophy purity made simple

Use:
I have to confess that Iíve grown to love this product. It has performed well enough to become my current holy grail (HG) cleanser. I didnít actually like it a lot at first because it was far too drying for my skin, which shocked me because of how unbelievably oily my skin can be. I realized what made it so drying was that I followed the directions to the word, and for my skin that was too much.

Now what I do is thoroughly rinse my face off and massage it in for no more than twenty seconds in two parts: first, my eyes and eyebrow area to wash off all remaining eye-make-up. Then, since the above tends to run down my face, I wash the remaining for the same amount of time. If I do anymore it will over-dry my skin.

Caution:
If you are wearing a significant amount of make-up (i.e. sunscreen with primer and more than two layers of foundation or powder) or eye-make-up (more than just basic primer and liner), I highly recommend running some make-up remover over your face, or be prepared to follow up with a (very mild) toner. For eye-make-up, however, not cleaning beforehand could result with product in your eyes. Iíve only had this problem once, though, so donít let this prevent your purchase.

Recommended for:
Normal to combination skin types could try this out, and it may not be too harsh. Recommended most for oily to very oily skin types. Strongly recommend against it for dry, sensitive skin or for those using strong acne treatments alongside.

Repurchase?
I have yet to encounter any other cleaner like this on the market. For that I have to give it a five. Effectively priced, compared to similar, but lower quality department store cleansers. For the price and quality, I will definitely repurchase this. Hope this helps. :) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2008 6:05:00 AM More reviews by curiousgirl

Ok, so I may be a bit quick of the mark reviewing this after just two days of use but WOW!!! Results so good I had to share!! I have been feeling really overwhelmed with choice recently, and had ended up just using Dove soap and coconut oil = vile skin! I asked my sister what she would suggest, since her previously problematic skin was looking fantastic; airbrushed perfect with no makeup on. She recommended this cleanser plus Hope In A Jar moisturiser. I was a bit wary as we do have different skin types - mine mid-tone, normal/combi but prone to broken capillaries if treated too rough, hers super pale, delicate & dry w/rosacea. But oooh hello HG!! Literally the ONLY cleanser I have ever tried (and I've tried a lot!) that does EVERYTHING. Takes off a full face of going out makeup, unclogs pores, soothes, cleans but leaves face film-free & super soft. Not tight or at all dry, but really clean feeling. And no redness as no need to scrub or remove with muslin cloth, yet feels and looks as though it has exfoliated deep into clogged t-zone. It's a miracle in a bottle. So far at least. I bought the 'Makeup Optional Kit' and after using the cleanser, microdelivery peel sachet, and HIAJ moisturiser and eye cream I looked as though I've had the best facial of my life. If these results continue, this will be a keeper for sure. Highly highly recommend. By both me and my sister who is on, like, her fourth set apparently and looking amazing on it! (I will update after the 3 weeks Philosophy says it takes to see a difference with this regime)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2008 2:23:00 AM More reviews by uggslippers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's only been less than two weeks since I started using this, but so far, so good. I didn't know what to think about it after the first few days, but I am starting to form an opinion. Basically, it's a good cleanser: it does its job of removing makeup and cleansing the skin. I have oily skin, but I don't use too much of the product, for fear of stripping my skin. I use just enough so that my skin feels cleansed and refreshed. I think there might be a tendency for some people to use too much of the product because it does not foam much at all. An aside: the fragrance smelled very familiar. I had to think about it and it dawned on me that it smells exactly like the Mint Wash from Origins, which I used back in high school (in the early 90's). Although it smells very similar, the two are very different. I prefer Philosophy. It is more gentle.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 1:48:00 AM More reviews by my_vanity_is_a_mess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Didn't care for this at all. At first it seemed like it'd be a nice cleanser, the texture was moisturizing and it removed all makeup residue, and smelled nice. After drying my face felt very soft and cleansed. It then started to feel like it was stripped and over cleansed, it almost hurt. Will not use this again! Very abrasive cleanser and felt like I used an average bar of soap on my face. Back to my inexpensive Noxema+! No thrills but does it's job! Philosophy products are highly overrated and expensive for what they do or rather don't do.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2008 12:49:00 AM More reviews by nekoki_nikki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The time I did use it I thought I loved it. It had a nice smell, made my skin feel smooth, etc. It didn't completely take off my eye makeup, but I didn't mind that that much anyway. The only big issue was, about a week after I started using it began to break out in huge, red itchy bumps all over my face, even on my eyes. It was terrible D:

My skin has never fully recovered back to how even smooth it once was.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2008 12:36:00 AM More reviews by gonzogolas

I've had this for awhile, but I was only using it to remove makeup (which I wear infrequently) so I didn't use it very much. After I bought a Clarisonic, I started to use it daily. I found it to be almost too gentle. I never really felt like my face was as clean. I bought a different cleanser to use with it, and my face got cleaner. To be fair, I have problem skin with clogged pores. But I just wasn't crazy about it. I do love it to remove makeup though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 1:06:00 PM More reviews by moonshadow7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is just a wonderful basic cleanser. It's expensive for being basic, but it really works so I don't see the point of straying. Most drugstore cleansers have left me either too dry or they break me out, so I feel like it's worth the extra money. I have normal/combination skin that is not prone to breakouts. It's a cream cleanser that lathers only a little. My face feels clean but not stripped after using it. Currently I am using this twice a day with C.O. Bigelow extra-light face lotion SPF 15 in the morning and Neutrogena oil-free moisture for combination skin in the evening and it is a very nice combination, even in the dense humidity of summer. I am currently using the 8 oz. bottle which is $20, but if I continue to like it by the time I finish the bottle I will probably buy the 16 oz. because it's only $32. I really love the natural scent. The flip cap seems a little flimsy (I feel like it's probably going to break before I finish the bottle). For $20 I think Philosophy could afford better packaging (a pump would be nice). They also test on animals.