January 28, 2015 | 1213 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 2:50:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

In my quest for the perfect foundation, I stopped by the EL counter and sampled the wares. The clerk applied the perfect shade and I walked away with a $40 bottle of foundation. But hey, it was worth it because it was my EXACT shade, right? But the next day I applied it and it was too light! I figured she must have used a darker powder to even things out. I really liked the formula and the coverage, but I just couldn't get my color. I returned it. The search continues.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2009 4:15:00 AM More reviews by bebepinkdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I will give my two sense on this foundation. Let me say that it is pretty darn good and I think my HG now for. It covers soooo well. Only thing is if you have wrinkles or any wrinkles for that matter this foundation with emphisise them. I just turned 20 and seriously I put this on and already saw a wrinkle around my mouth I never even saw before. So I would say if you are young and want a good coverage fdn go get this its amazing but when I turn 25+ I think im gonna have to look for another foundation. Overall it is really great!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2009 9:17:00 PM More reviews by colleenwin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my all time favorite foundation. The secret for me is to first use my daily moisturizer, wait a few minutes, then apply the foundation. This really helps it spread easier and I have found even when using the moisturizer under it, it still stays put all day. I work outside a lot and tend to get pretty sweaty in the summer and this foundation still looks great at then end of the day. I have some dark spot around my chin and this covers them beautifully all day. I think it gives imperfect skin a flawless look. I also have very sensitive skin and this has never bothered it. Will purchase forever and ever!! HG!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by lilsue80

I love this foundation! i have gone through so many....and this gives the right amount of coverage and no shine! i put it on in the morning and don't even need another touch up. It stays on all day and night! i personally love the sand and tawny colors..i mix them around and its flawless!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2009 7:43:00 AM More reviews by dixie60

I tried a sample of this and it was horrid. I understand that it has good coverage but this was like clay on me. It looked really fake and made every single pore stand out. It also aged me by about 25 years. I am 25 and I had wrinkles coming out of the woodworks.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2009 11:54:00 PM More reviews by sparkleprincess81

I had been wanting a long wearing foundation since summers here are subtropically hot and humid so to consider any foundation that wasn't long wearing would be a waste of time and money. I looked first at the Revlon Color Stay foundations but really didn't find a shade that wasn't too ghostly pale or too dark and I didn't want the hassle of mixing 2 shades to get a match. Was at the EL counter last week and saw their foundation tester display. On an impulse I asked for a sample of the Double Wear. The SA was very obliging and even gave me a couple of different shades to try. The Bone was waaaay too light, gave me that ghostly look, so not good. But the Desert Beige was perfect with no pink, yellow, orange or chalky undertones. I applied the DW and went to work out, where I really sweat buckets and this foundation held up very, very nicely with no rub off or streaking at all! Didn't need to blot or powder during the day and at the end of a 14-hour day with wearing the DW it looked just as nice as it did when I first applied it. Removal takes a bit more effort, but I use a cream cleanser to remove my makeup anyway and it took the DW right off. No breakouts either, so far. The only caution I can think of is that if your skin has any dry areas be sure to moisturize well first, I noted that if I moisturized the drier parts of my face then this went on easier and also might be a good idea to exfoliate first in drier areas as well. Went back to the EL counter today and purchased the full size DW in the desert beige shade and I think this foundation will probably last me a long time. I will definitely be repurchasing this when I run out. All in all, great product that really delivers on its promises.
EDIT 5/8/09 - I have found through some trial and error that for me, the best way I have found to apply the DW is with a makeup brush. It goes on really well with a makeup brush and is easily blended, much easier than a makeup sponge or my fingers. Still loving this foundation and have had absolutely no breakouts or reactions so far!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2009 10:25:00 PM More reviews by maysong

NOTE ON PACKAGING! I know many people are concerned/disgruntled because this does not come with a pump. However, the MAC pump sold at MAC counters fits the Double Wear bottle perfectly :)

I have tried so many foundations over the years (liquid, mineral, mousse, airbrush), and I keep coming back to this one. The quality is superb, and the finish on this is so versatile (easily sheered out with moisturizer or layered for fuller coverage). It does take awhile and a bit of trial and error to figure out your best way to wear it (I use the MAC 187 brush to layer one medium coat), but a sponge works well, or even (gasp!) fingers. Just make sure to moisturize/prime your skin, especially if you have dry skin, since it can stick to flaky areas.

I have oily skin and this glides right on, and looks pretty natural as long as I blend well. Also does a nice job of controlling oilies throughout the day and really does last. I haven't broken out from this either, which is great...just make sure to use a separate makeup remover to get all of it off at night! "Linen" is my HG color, and I have tough skin to match (neutral leaning towards warm, and super fair). For reference, I wear "Buff" in revlon Colorstay, NC15 in MAC SFF, and N4 in MAC Studio Fix powder :)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2009 4:24:00 AM More reviews by Kimmy3Girl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This certainly is long lasting! (played a netball game yesterday and this was stil in place!) It has med-full coverage. It really depends on how you apply it. I use a sponge and it has never looked to heavy but on the otherhand my sister used to wear this and it always looked too much, too obvious. I would think you would need to use an oil based cleanseror precleanser to get this off. My cleanser is and I also exfoliate after, so I have not broken out from this(was a bit worried after wearing this playing netball though haha). My skin is very fair and Bone is the best match.
I have acne scars along the side of my mouth and this makes them disappear! I'm always amazed, shocked and delighted when I see my skin while wearing this :-) When I catch a glimpse in a mirror I almost feel a little smug haha fooling people into thinking I have great skin! I wouldn't say it looks 'light and dewy' or something like that, but with careful blending it CAN look nice and natural.
It was $66 AU which honestly is about $10 cheaper than what I usually get (a mineral pressed powder) and I'm fine with paying that for these results. Although I wish it came in a pump bottle...I have noticed that the other long lasting foundations I have used have all had this style bottle so...maybe this is the only way??
Haven't seen any pics with me wearing this so I don't know if it will have the ghost like effect, the fact it has spf 15 makes me unsure but hopefully it's all good!!
Just remember not to put too much on. With full coverage use light application...= excellent presentation!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2009 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Belle88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have many scars on my face which need a maximum coverage foundation to cover them. This does the job well, although it took me a good 2 months to work out how to apply it correctly for the effect I wanted. It is quite thick and almost dries like a paint, so you need to be quick when applying! Using a brush gives me even coverage and it is easily buildable if you need an even higher level of coverage. I really like the smell, although a few of my friends dislike it. However it doesn't linger and is gone by the time I'm out the door. It definitley lasts for many, many hours, and It covers up my undereye circles perfectly! I've also noticed that my eyeshadow is lasting alot longer. I recently ran out of UDPP and I don't think I'll buy it again as this does pretty much the same job! I barely need any concealer when using this, and only a very light dusting of mineral powder around my nose and the edges of my face. It lasts, has brilliant coverage and has a decent shade range although I would reccomend going to one of the EL counters and having the foundation applied for you and then deciding if it is the one for you. The price is okay (I paid £22) as I don't mind shelling out for a good qaulity foundation. It sits on my face all day and every day so it has to be good! Overall I really like this foundation, not quite my HG (the bottle isn't designed very well however expensive looking and pretty it is, I wish it had a pump!) but very close.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2009 12:00:00 PM More reviews by jennifer26

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

umm wat can i say?
yes its a good foundation if you use the right method to apply and good amount control.
it has a great coverage and lasts ALL DAY! but u can easily look cakey
so u need to be careful
and dont like the bottle its such a mess to get the fdt out