August 30, 2014 | 1583 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2009 4:25:00 PM More reviews by marym126

Ok I have a total love-hate relationship with this foundation. For the following reasons:

The shade is the BEST match for my skin, I love their shade range. They have very yellow undertoned, neutral, and cool undertoned. I love the shade "Sand" which has very yellow undertones, perfect for my redness on my face. It totally blocks it all out and blends well with my yellow undertoned neck and chest. It's the only foundation that has absolutely no redness.
The coverage is amazing and completely flawless.
The only thing is that it's a very matte finish, and it looks cakey. You can definitely tell that you are wearing foundation.
I know someone here suggested that if you use it with a wet sponge it makes all the difference...but I'm just not into the whole sponge wetting thing.
I buy it to use at night when I am going out because that's when it looks best.
Worth a try, but be careful because the sales lady will try to match you with the wrong shade. If you have redness they suggest a cool undertone foundation. It just makes you look more red! Choose something yellow based like Sand if you have light skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2009 8:28:00 PM More reviews by blackrosethorn

After reading reviews on here I was really excited about this foundation and went out and got it after work however I was most disappointed. I applied with a foundation brush and it looked ok for a little while but then it started to look horrible and gave me cake lines and went funny on my nose dont know how to describe it but little holes for each pore. I love matte foundation but this was like dry paint or something. I am willing to pay top $ for top products but this was a let down, expensive mistake! I dont understand how it got so many good reviews, unless im doing something wrong.....???

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2009 2:30:00 PM More reviews by palefacedgirl1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this because I had read so many great reviews about its staying power, but I was dissapointed. I was hoping to be able to wear it without powder which tends to make long lasting foundations go cakey on me. Unfortunatley same old story powder was essential and then all double wear did was accentuate my lines and pores and look cakey. Truely a let down and an expensive one, I'm back to using my facefinity powder foundation, much better for me and a much more natural look.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2009 5:33:00 AM More reviews by laquiche

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The best for lasting power! it stays on all day even on my super oily skin! The coverage is good but the choice of color is not great (here in Europe) I use n°5 in summer which is perfect but I bought n°4 for winter which is a bit too dark and dull.
You have to apply it quick because it dries in a few seconds and can leave strays on the face. Non comedogenic foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2009 12:28:00 AM More reviews by suzannaelektra

Lovely foundation...have tried it for a few work days and I barely have to touch up...awesome! I use it with the Lancome primer and set with Guerlain meteorites. This truly is long wearing, great fluid coverage, mattifies oily skin! I wear Tawny (NC 40 MAC) and it's the perfect match for me...I wish it were in a pump bottle though but oh well, will repurchase for sure!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 10:56:00 PM More reviews by deliazamir

i was really skeptical at first because a lot of reviewers here were talking about 'whiteface' in photos (its my biggest pet peeve!), and with double wear you will be certain to have it because its ingredients not only list titanium dioxide once, but TWICE. so you can bet on opacity dependent on chemicals rather than pigment, which accounts for its somewhat inexpensive price. but, i gotta say i am loving it anyway, to heck with photos! the thin texture is deceptive because this stuff is med-full coverage serious business. after sunscreen application, i spot conceal with my ring finger. i've noticed how the color the SA chose perfectly matches my skin ('tawny', equiv. to MAC NC35). i don't chase it with powder but it dries very nicely and does stay put as it says. only suitable for normal-oily skin because i can imagine its matte quality will just hurt dry skin. and so i bestow 4 lippies only because 1) whiteface in photos and 2) the bottle is not hygienic and i always prefer pump. but... it's great stuff!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2009 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Addismax

This is without a doubt the absolute worse foundation I have ever put on my face. That being said, I would like to be buried in it because I know it will last longer then I do. It felt very itchy and foreign on my skin. The texture is not at all pleasant or smooth. It looked like a mask.It has staying power and will hide a wealth of sins.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Brunneria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This has become my HG foundation - which still surprises me!

NB: To the reviewer below me - this foundation goes on much better (smoother, more controllable, and the finish is more natural, if you use a damp sponge - seriously, it is magical what a difference a damp sponge will make!)

I must have tried 6 different mineral foundations, but the colours never actually matched my skin. And several different matte/ long lasting foundations, but they never adhere to my skin properly. Laura Geller Phenomenal foundation is good, but doesn't have the colour range of Double Wear.

So, anyway, with a kind of unease I finally fetched up at an EL counter in my local department store. The unease was because I make these professions about wanting pure, natural products (mineral) then compromise my principles by buying chemical foundation...

Well, the first amazing thing is that there was a colour that matched my skin. The sales assistant tried to sell me two colours that were both too dark and neutral in shade, but I stood firm and ended up with Bone 1W1 liquid. And, yes it is pale, but it is PERFECT on me, because, unlike the rest of the world, I don't want to go around pretending that I need pink to balance yellow, or that bronzer = healthy glow. I mean, no one actually falls for that, do they? My hands, neck and decollete are bone-pale, so why would I want to go pink, or dust bronzer onto my face and make it float like a disembodied suntan? And if I have problems with the chemicals in foundations, imagine my revulsion at the chemicals in fake tans (please don't self tan ladies - anyone with half an eye can tell what you have done, and it usually ain't pretty)!

The second revelation for me was when I discovered that EL do a 1W2 powder, called Linen. Also a perfect match for my pale yellow toned skin. Not sold in Europe, of course, so I had to buy it on eBay and ship it to the UK, but the Linen is also perfect (marginally darker than the Bone), and helps the makeup last - and REALLY looks natural. By the way, if you want to wear both the DW foundation and powder together, then be SPARING. They both benefit from a light hand.

So, here I am, for the first time in my adult life of 20+ years, with a foundation that matches my skin perfectly. Matching powder that can be worn on its own for lighter coverage. Unbelievably wonderful. And what is even more wonderful, is that the double wear aspect (heaven knows what chemicals are involved!) actually STICKS to my skin. When I get a bit shiny, I just blot with the nearest tissue, the oil is absorbed, the makeup stays on my skin, and I look as good as I did at 8am. It even seems to hold onto blusher.

I come home after an 11 hour day and look in the mirror to find that the only part of my face that needs touching up my lipstick and concealer - so maybe I should try those in doublewear too.

See, a shameless hypocrite, willing to plaster my face with dreadful chemicals, just to look good. Grin.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2009 1:24:00 AM More reviews by vleemakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this product about 8 years ago when I was in my early 20s & absolutely loved how flawless it made my skin look. I bought it again yesterday & found that the foundation isn't as thick as it used to be & my skin doesn't look as flawless as it did with the original double wear. I'm not that impressed with the way it makes my skin look dry - which is hard as I don't have dry skin; I have oily t-zone normal cheeks. I bought the powder too & think the problem may be applying it with the sponge & not my usual way with powder brush or bronzer/kabuki brush. I'm going to try it again tonight. I won't be buying it again it this doesn't improve; however, it is quite a good one to wear when out in the sun & to the gym as it doesn't budge too much or too noticeably - which is 1 reason why I may purchase this again. For $68AU it's not a fantastic foundation, I would expect something that glides onto my skin & left me feeling flawless. The jury is still out.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2009 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Sarah91x

I've been looking for a really good foundation for awhile and really wanted to try this product, however i was really indecisive as there are so many mixed reviews on here. Anyway whilst i was at Macys i asked to try this on, i loved it, excellent coverage and it didn't feel to heavy or look cakey at all. Before i bought it i asked to see what it was like outside because i don't trust their lighting. The match is perfect for me (Shell) Im definitely glad i tried this, foundations usually melt off my face after a couple of hours but this lasts throughout the day, smells a little like paint but that doesn't really bother me, i apply this with my hands and the finish is flawless. Deffo recommend this