MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 9/5/2010 10:36:00 PM

this is my favorite foundation so far. i'm OCD about my foundation, if its blotchy or uneven i freak out. im NC37 and my skin is dry though so i dont have the problem other people with oily skin have, even with applying a moisturizer before application. so i've tried other foundations but still always stick to this one. it stays on all day, even if i'm sweating i dont have to worry about it. its never splotchy or uneven and i never have to reapply all day. i really love it, i'm actually pretty addicted to it. my ONLY complaint is that it CAN get cakey and dark if you over apply. and it can emphasis your pores. so my advise is to use a primer before you apply, im trying out smashbox primer right now. i'll get back to you on that if it helps! i'm actually trying to find a foundation thats a little less heavy but with the same great coverage and finish and that lasts, but i haven't found one yet. (i tried to switch to LORAC's oil free foundation, and it didn't stay on and drove me crazy how often i had to reapply!)

on 9/4/2010 9:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I have such mixed feelings about this product! I love the finish and coverage it gives my skin, but it randomly breaks me out! Only in the humid summer months but still! Who wants that in a foundation!? My only other complaints are the price, and that it can turn slightly orange. If this foundation didn't break me out, I would repurchase because it has great coverage and great shade selection. I just can't deal with the random break outs ;(

on 9/3/2010 7:10:00 PM

I've a love-hate relationship with this foundation... It sometimes breaks me out, but my main gripe with it is the fact that it oxidises like CRAZY on me... My perfect shade (??) is NW30... looks flawless and perfect colour when freshly applied... within 30 minutes it turns orange and I look like an oompa loompa!

This photographs beautifully though. And it provides great coverage. Apparently oily skin oxidises worse than normal or dry skins... Or maybe it's just me... Such a darn pity! :(

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

MY SKIN:
I am a pale NC 15 asian with acne-prone, and super duper oily skin. Though I may have oily skin, my skin peels, flakes, and chaps frequently.

The sun terribly frightens me. It cause nasty dark splotches and flaky, red-like rashes on my face if I don't wear the right sunscreen.

PROS:
Kept my face looking matte and flawless all day!
Great formula and matches my NC 15 skin tone beautifully.
The formula was smooth and opaque and extremely buildable without looking cakey!
I could wear this foundation sheer or build it up to full coverage.
It smells pleasant.
Doesn't change colors throughout the day like most drugstore foundations.

CONS:
Glass bottle container makes it unsanitary to dig out the fluid!
Expensive!

I would definitely not buy again! Nearly $45 dollars for a little bit? Haha no I'll just go back to my mineral makeup routine and Revlon's Colorstay for 1/4 the price!

I actually received this product in a swap. I have used MAC studio fix powder found. and the mineralize loose found in the past and have been very happy with both. Was hesistant to try this due to the mixed reviews, but I have never found a MAC product I wasn't satisfied with. I was fortunate to receive this product with the pump. I think the regular packaging is not a pump top, hence the 3 for package quality. Now... onto the product itself.
PRO's:
great coverage
price point is relatively low for a HE product
large color selection, NC30 is always perfect for me
long-lasting

CON's:
weird "plastic-y" fragrance
pump needs to be purchased separately
cannot be too heavy handed on areas with fine lines

So far, I am loving this product. Really wish the fragrance wasn't so fierce. This is probably the only reason I wouldn't repurchase until I try another brand. I have been using this mixed with the MAC F&B to customize the coverage I need. I apply with the Sonia K. Flat top stippling brush, set with MAC prep and prime and I am good to go for the rest of the day.
Surprisingly, I have seen many reviews stating that this broke out their skin. I have not yet experienced this, which is odd since so many other foundations do break me out. Perhaps it is because I blend with the F&B to get a lighter consistency?

All in all, I am pleased with this product and would not be completely opposed to purchasing again in the future.

** UPDATE- I couldn't stand the scent anymore. Put this up for swaps and dropped to 3 lippies. Otherwise, loved the product **

on 8/25/2010 6:40:00 PM

i have to say that mac foundations to me are all the same. the problem that i have with this is that they are all too yellow for my skin tone. even if it is a NC or a NW there too yellow and do not even match my skin tone. the neck looks too white and the face is super yellow. would not recommend to any ppl that have yellow undertones and fair skin. your best bet is to switch to clinique. there pretty good on fair skin shades.

on 8/24/2010 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ive been using this product for a few years now and I must say its the best foundation Ive used so far, looks flawless after each application and it lasts all day. The only bad thing about it is that after a few hours it makes real shiny but overall a wonderful foundation.

on 8/24/2010 3:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using Mac foundation for several years. I usually buy the Select formulation however when I went to buy a new one they were sold out in my colour so purchased the Studio fix.
My skin has never been perfect but I have never had such bad skin as I did using this foundation. Thought perhaps I was a bit run down however after 2 weeks of using my new foundation I checked the reviews here and realised it was probably my foundation.
The worst part was knowing my foundation was the issue and then having to put it back on as my skin was so bad I would not have left the house bare faced. The day after reading the reviews I visited Mac, they were very good and offered to exchange for my usual foundation, I ended up getting a store credit which I have used to now buy Bobbi Brown foundation which I am very happy with. Clearly not everyone has this issue as I have friends who have no problems with this foundation. I do love Mac but this has put me off their foundations

on 8/23/2010 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have always used Estee Lauder foundations that have quite a high coverage but found they were making me look a little cakey so I went to MAC in search for a product that would'nt make me look like that - this isnt as heavy as my previous foundations but still has a far amount of coverage..I have a normal skin type so I feel this works well for me but I would NOT reccomend this product to anyone who has dry skin or skin thats prone to dryness ! Overall, I do love this foundation and it is now a staple product in my makeup collection ! x

on 8/22/2010 6:59:00 AM

Ok so I decided that I needed to try some MAC products because of rave reviews I've seen. I went to my local MAC counter in search MACs studio fix foundation powder. I had the sales rep match me and for some reason it went on kinda ashy bcuz of my hyperpigmented combination skin. She the recommended liquid. I was like...omg..no. I usually don't do liquid foundation but went ahead and had her try it on me. That was the best thing I ever did. My skin looked flawless...hell...even my large pores appeared smaller. She recommended the mineralize skin finish in naturally medium which I love. Seriously...this is now my HG FOUNDATION.....TRY IT. Oh if anyones wondering...I'm an NC35.