September 20, 2014 | 993 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by lilsue80

I love this foundation! i have gone through so many....and this gives the right amount of coverage and no shine! i put it on in the morning and don't even need another touch up. It stays on all day and night! i personally love the sand and tawny colors..i mix them around and its flawless!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2009 7:43:00 AM More reviews by dixie60

I tried a sample of this and it was horrid. I understand that it has good coverage but this was like clay on me. It looked really fake and made every single pore stand out. It also aged me by about 25 years. I am 25 and I had wrinkles coming out of the woodworks.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2009 11:54:00 PM More reviews by sparkleprincess81

I had been wanting a long wearing foundation since summers here are subtropically hot and humid so to consider any foundation that wasn't long wearing would be a waste of time and money. I looked first at the Revlon Color Stay foundations but really didn't find a shade that wasn't too ghostly pale or too dark and I didn't want the hassle of mixing 2 shades to get a match. Was at the EL counter last week and saw their foundation tester display. On an impulse I asked for a sample of the Double Wear. The SA was very obliging and even gave me a couple of different shades to try. The Bone was waaaay too light, gave me that ghostly look, so not good. But the Desert Beige was perfect with no pink, yellow, orange or chalky undertones. I applied the DW and went to work out, where I really sweat buckets and this foundation held up very, very nicely with no rub off or streaking at all! Didn't need to blot or powder during the day and at the end of a 14-hour day with wearing the DW it looked just as nice as it did when I first applied it. Removal takes a bit more effort, but I use a cream cleanser to remove my makeup anyway and it took the DW right off. No breakouts either, so far. The only caution I can think of is that if your skin has any dry areas be sure to moisturize well first, I noted that if I moisturized the drier parts of my face then this went on easier and also might be a good idea to exfoliate first in drier areas as well. Went back to the EL counter today and purchased the full size DW in the desert beige shade and I think this foundation will probably last me a long time. I will definitely be repurchasing this when I run out. All in all, great product that really delivers on its promises.
    EDIT 5/8/09 - I have found through some trial and error that for me, the best way I have found to apply the DW is with a makeup brush. It goes on really well with a makeup brush and is easily blended, much easier than a makeup sponge or my fingers. Still loving this foundation and have had absolutely no breakouts or reactions so far!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2009 10:25:00 PM More reviews by maysong

NOTE ON PACKAGING! I know many people are concerned/disgruntled because this does not come with a pump. However, the MAC pump sold at MAC counters fits the Double Wear bottle perfectly :)

I have tried so many foundations over the years (liquid, mineral, mousse, airbrush), and I keep coming back to this one. The quality is superb, and the finish on this is so versatile (easily sheered out with moisturizer or layered for fuller coverage). It does take awhile and a bit of trial and error to figure out your best way to wear it (I use the MAC 187 brush to layer one medium coat), but a sponge works well, or even (gasp!) fingers. Just make sure to moisturize/prime your skin, especially if you have dry skin, since it can stick to flaky areas.

I have oily skin and this glides right on, and looks pretty natural as long as I blend well. Also does a nice job of controlling oilies throughout the day and really does last. I haven't broken out from this either, which is great...just make sure to use a separate makeup remover to get all of it off at night! "Linen" is my HG color, and I have tough skin to match (neutral leaning towards warm, and super fair). For reference, I wear "Buff" in revlon Colorstay, NC15 in MAC SFF, and N4 in MAC Studio Fix powder :)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2009 4:24:00 AM More reviews by Kimmy3Girl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This certainly is long lasting! (played a netball game yesterday and this was stil in place!) It has med-full coverage. It really depends on how you apply it. I use a sponge and it has never looked to heavy but on the otherhand my sister used to wear this and it always looked too much, too obvious. I would think you would need to use an oil based cleanseror precleanser to get this off. My cleanser is and I also exfoliate after, so I have not broken out from this(was a bit worried after wearing this playing netball though haha). My skin is very fair and Bone is the best match.
    I have acne scars along the side of my mouth and this makes them disappear! I'm always amazed, shocked and delighted when I see my skin while wearing this :-) When I catch a glimpse in a mirror I almost feel a little smug haha fooling people into thinking I have great skin! I wouldn't say it looks 'light and dewy' or something like that, but with careful blending it CAN look nice and natural.
    It was $66 AU which honestly is about $10 cheaper than what I usually get (a mineral pressed powder) and I'm fine with paying that for these results. Although I wish it came in a pump bottle...I have noticed that the other long lasting foundations I have used have all had this style bottle so...maybe this is the only way??
    Haven't seen any pics with me wearing this so I don't know if it will have the ghost like effect, the fact it has spf 15 makes me unsure but hopefully it's all good!!
    Just remember not to put too much on. With full coverage use light application...= excellent presentation!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2009 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Belle88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have many scars on my face which need a maximum coverage foundation to cover them. This does the job well, although it took me a good 2 months to work out how to apply it correctly for the effect I wanted. It is quite thick and almost dries like a paint, so you need to be quick when applying! Using a brush gives me even coverage and it is easily buildable if you need an even higher level of coverage. I really like the smell, although a few of my friends dislike it. However it doesn't linger and is gone by the time I'm out the door. It definitley lasts for many, many hours, and It covers up my undereye circles perfectly! I've also noticed that my eyeshadow is lasting alot longer. I recently ran out of UDPP and I don't think I'll buy it again as this does pretty much the same job! I barely need any concealer when using this, and only a very light dusting of mineral powder around my nose and the edges of my face. It lasts, has brilliant coverage and has a decent shade range although I would reccomend going to one of the EL counters and having the foundation applied for you and then deciding if it is the one for you. The price is okay (I paid £22) as I don't mind shelling out for a good qaulity foundation. It sits on my face all day and every day so it has to be good! Overall I really like this foundation, not quite my HG (the bottle isn't designed very well however expensive looking and pretty it is, I wish it had a pump!) but very close.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2009 12:00:00 PM More reviews by jennifer26

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

umm wat can i say?
    yes its a good foundation if you use the right method to apply and good amount control.
    it has a great coverage and lasts ALL DAY! but u can easily look cakey
    so u need to be careful
    and dont like the bottle its such a mess to get the fdt out

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2009 5:07:00 PM More reviews by rmmst22

Very good quality product, thick but with appropriate application won't be a problem. buildable coverage, stays put on oily skin. only downfall is price and packaging - would prefer a pump - but the product itself is my holy grail foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2009 4:42:00 PM More reviews by islandgyrl927

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have strayed from this product and then kept coming back to it. This whole time I have tried finding my HG foundation, it was always right under my nose. As much as I really loved this product and the results I got from it, I strayed from it every now and then because of the heavy feeling it gave me. But there are things I value in a foundation more than just the way it feels on, such as staying power and overall look. I have to say no other foundation I've tried (HE or LE) is no match for this when it comes to staying power. This is the only foundation I've found that looks gorgeous from the minute I put it on to 8 hours later. I STRONGLY recommend this for women with oily skin. Now the heavy feeling of this is really not that bad, but if it bothers you, I would recommend Merle Norman Luxiva Lasting Foundation. The staying power on that is just as good, but I like the look I get with this better. I still always have my Merle on hand which I love, but EL DW is, and I guess always has been, my HG. As far as packaging goes, this sucks. I really don't like how this comes in a bottle because it can be really hard to get the rest of this stuff out, and it doesnt come with a pump which makes it not so sanitary. I also feel like the expensive looking packaging on this adds toward the fairly high price on this foundation, so I'm paying for packaging I don't even like. Regardless, I am still in love with this.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2009 12:25:00 PM More reviews by TinaSheipline

I'm so glad I only got a couple samples of this stuff. The color selection is not great and this stuff is so thick and heavy. That acutally isn't what bothered me about this. I somewhat liked the full coverage I got from this but unfortunately I has a sort of reaction to it. My jawline and neck had an horrible rash that was red and itchy and dry. It took me 2 weeks to get back to normal.