November 23, 2014 | 953 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2008 12:26:00 AM More reviews by msclaudia

I really love this stuff, I consider it the better upgraded version of Cetaphil. Gentle, cleanses very well, has a distinct smell that I like. The packaging is basic and nothing spectacular like all philosophy products. It's not cheap but very worth it for a good quality cleanser. Will definitely buy it again once it runs out.

*UPDATE*
The key is to not use too much, although it is gentle it lathers up so it will dry you out if overused. Try a dime sized portion mixed with some water.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2008 10:52:00 PM More reviews by lilyface

Cleanser brands I've tried: Clinique, Shisheido, CVS-type(Neutrogena, Cetaphil, CLean & Clear, etc).

I gave this a try because the small bottle at Sephora was only ($10) - just slightly more than what you would by at the drugstore. I've repurchased it twice already and I think it's done some good on my skin. It's rather gentle so it might not work too well on anyone with very oily or very dry skin, but my skin is at a weird combo dehydrated state. It seems to like this fine. I believe it cleared up some zits too. When I stopped using this (because I lost the bottle), I started to use different cleansers. I'm not sure if it's beacuse I was switching cleansers too much or what I started doing, but I just recently got more and more zits. I'm attributing it to the trio of shisheido products that I"m currently using. I'm going to repurchase this to see if it really does do the trick. Will update afterwards.

also, note: my skin is the type that never seems to be zit-free. even on it's good days, it's got 1 or 2. and i'm usually oily on the O-zone instead of T ( all around the outer edges of my face BUT the cheeks) although recently it's just been everywhere - ahhh!! I need to figure out what's causing this! :( I'm hoping that going back to purity will at least solve the cleanser issue since it's more mild.

Edit: forgot to mention that this cleanser does take off most of my makeup rather easily. The black liner or waterproof mascara is sometimes harder though... for awhile i used to use the dove face cloths to remove the eye makeup before using purity to clean the rest of my face.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2008 8:03:00 PM More reviews by lmy

I bought this product once and really couldn't understand what the hype was all about. It is just an okay product, I have come across other products that do a much better job. Personally, not my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2008 11:18:00 AM More reviews by onebadassninja

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this. Seriously, it is the best face cleanser I have used. Though I have an oily, acne-prone T-zone, my cheeks are extraordinarily dry and go crazy flaking and scabbing if I use a cleanser that is even mildly drying. (NOT pretty.) I've used Purity for about a year now, and really it's the best thing that's happened to my skin care routine. Somehow (and this is a mystery to me) it manages to take off all of my makeup without foaming. I put a quarter-size amount into my palm and mix with a few drops of water and slather that on my face. I think the trick is to rub it in really well for longer than you would normally, because the whole concept of this is that it "melts away" your makeup, which it certainly does (at least for me.) It even takes off waterproof concealer. And the scent is heavenly - it's unoffensive, sort of like an herbal tea infusion... lovely

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 3:50:00 AM More reviews by myersair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

WOW! I'm amazed at the number of reviews of people who say this stuff didn't take their make-up off, and my question is.... what in the world kind of make-up are you using?!?! Seriously, because I can't seem to make my make-up LAST, so any rec's would be great! LOL! Anywho, on to the review!
Oh Purity.. how many ways can I tell you I love you? Well, really, only one since I don't speak any other languages! =P Purity (along with Retin-A, a handful of other Philosophy products, and diligence and patience on my part) has saved my skin! I started using Purity after I got an Rx for Retin-A (for acne- not severe, but persistent breakouts on my chin and mouth area, as well as "pop ups" anywhere else, and a WHOLE LOTTA blackheads!) When I started the Retin-A, I dropped all my other cleansers (which were probably over-kill, and only making my acne issue worse, but hind-sight's... well, you know the rest!) and started using Cetaphil. Now that was okay, but I'm not a big fan of the texture of Cetaphil, so I asked my Dr. for a rec, and she said all she uses are Philosophy products. At first, my.. ahem.. @$%hole puckered up at the thought of spending so much for something I'd wash down the drain in a matter of seconds, but my face was peeling, dry, itchy, burning- add a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old into the mix, and I decided $20.00 was a fair price to pay for a bit of relief from the skin problems (a massage helped with the children problems- LOL). So I ordered Purity, and I haven't looked back since!
Purity is actually quite a time-saver, too, because I no longer need a second product to remove my make-up, or a third to "tone" and remove the residue of the make-up remover and cleanser (wow, no wonder men think women are insane! We spend 3 hours putting our face on, and at least half that to take it off! =P)
Fast forward 8 months later- the kids are still driving me up the wall most days, BUT my skin is A*M*A*Z*I*N*G!!! At this very moment I sit here writing this long-winded and TMI review, I have NO PIMPLES!! My skin is soft and supple, the side effects of starting Retin-A long gone, but you will have to pry my Purity from my cold, dead fingers!
Now, I'm not saying that this miraculous transformation is solely dependant of the use of Purity, but I have no doubt that Purity is an integral part of it! It's not harsh or drying at all, nor does it leave any oily (or any other kind of) residue. It takes all my make-up off no questions asked, and prepares my skin for the next step without fail (moisturizer, Retin-A... whatever that next step may be).
Now, skincare seems to be kind of an "all-or-nothing" type of thing- if you have the best Cleanser in the world, it's still not going to help if you're using the worst moisturizer! And the one thing I've really started to learn is that PATIENCE is really a skill to be honed with regards to skincare!! NO PRODUCT IS GOING TO WORK CORRECTLY IF YOU DON'T USE IT CORRECTLY, OR GIVE IT A CHANCE TO WORK!!! This is a mistake I have been notorious for making- using something for less than a month, then tossing in the towel because I didn't see any effects from it. I've now seen the error of my ways, and my skin is thanking me for it! =)
So, all in all, Purity is probably the most effective cleanser I've ever used, and has been elevated to HG status for me! I can't recommend it enough to those who want the best clean out there! =)
And for those with my skin-type (acne-prone, oily- but was dry from the Retin-A for a while, and a bit on the sensitive side) the best advice I can give you is to stop going overboard on treatments- find a gentle cleanser (of course I'd say Purity- but whatever floats your boat), a good oil-free moisturizer, and keep the acne treatment to an actual acne treatment product- putting 10 different types of acne medication on your face at the same time will only make your skin angry at you! If the one you're using turns out not to work, try another (giving it TIME to work) until you find the right one for you (for me it's Retin-A, but it took time for that, too). But keep your cleanser for cleaning and prepping your skin for treatment... and for THAT I totally, 100%, unequivocally recommend..... PURITY!!! =D

34 out of 36 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2008 8:45:00 PM More reviews by TeeterTot

I seriously love this cleanser SO much, I've repurchased this at least 4x. My skin literally goes to sh*t if I stop using this for two days. I use this day and night each day. This is very gentle, doesn't foam, it just sinks into your skin. And it never ever leaves your face feeling dry after, I don't even feel like I need to moisturize(but of course I do). The bottle does say that it 'hydrates' as it melts away the makeup which they were not lying about. I also love that it has a bunch of different oils in the list of ingredients, cause I honestly believe that a healthy skincare includes giving your skin some oil whether from your cleanser or by separately mixing some oil drops into your moisturizer(which I do). Sometimes people with acne use a lot of harsh serums, gels, etc and end up with more acne due to the fact that the harsh treatments dried out your skin,causing your skin to produce more oil to compensate for the dryness. So at least you know that with this cleanser you won't ever dry out your skin. I use to break out a lot and it was because the cleansers( I used 3!) I was using sucked, and this cleanser focuses on eliminating makeup buildup, this could be the answer to all the acne you have. It pretty much cleared up most the acne I have, but i do still have some light acne but it was no where near what I had before. It has a very light,clean scent to it. This comes in so many sizes, I started out with the small travel bottle that was like $10, so you won't spend too much if you dont like it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by CrimsonKiss

I felt like I wasted a lot of money on this cleanser. All this cleanser does is clean like many other cleansers out there. It didn't get rid of blemishes or anything. I'm not going to buy another.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by ml176

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was hoping this could be my HG facial cleanser. It was just average to me. I think it is too gentle. It did not clean my make up off at all, and in general I just did not feel like it really cleaned it. The smell was not my favorite. It smelled like hot tea to me. I think this would be perfect for sensitive skin, but not combo or oily. EDIT: I have come to realize this is really good for my skin in the winter. If I am a little more generous in the amount I use, and take the time to really scrub, it cleanses my face really well. Plus, I can always use my Clinique take the day off make up remover before if I need to. This is my winter go to face cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2008 4:44:00 PM More reviews by cristinalia

I bought a bottle of this to try because of all the good reviews. I didn't end up liking it very much. It didn't do much for my oily skin. Also, I normally don't care, but I didn't like the smell very much either. I think this cleanser would be best for someone with normal skin because it didn't address my skin issues.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:37:00 PM More reviews by alphagal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing Cleanser! I've been using it on and off for about 5 years. The one problem I had before was I purchased a huge bottle at Nordstrom's and it lasted over 2 years. By the 2nd year mark, the product wasn't working as great as it used to. I ended up throwing the bottle away (argh). My best advice is to not buy huge vats of any of these products because you will not be able to use the entire bottle before the product starts digressing.