April 18, 2014 | 1810 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Brunneria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This has become my HG foundation - which still surprises me!

NB: To the reviewer below me - this foundation goes on much better (smoother, more controllable, and the finish is more natural, if you use a damp sponge - seriously, it is magical what a difference a damp sponge will make!)

I must have tried 6 different mineral foundations, but the colours never actually matched my skin. And several different matte/ long lasting foundations, but they never adhere to my skin properly. Laura Geller Phenomenal foundation is good, but doesn't have the colour range of Double Wear.

So, anyway, with a kind of unease I finally fetched up at an EL counter in my local department store. The unease was because I make these professions about wanting pure, natural products (mineral) then compromise my principles by buying chemical foundation...

Well, the first amazing thing is that there was a colour that matched my skin. The sales assistant tried to sell me two colours that were both too dark and neutral in shade, but I stood firm and ended up with Bone 1W1 liquid. And, yes it is pale, but it is PERFECT on me, because, unlike the rest of the world, I don't want to go around pretending that I need pink to balance yellow, or that bronzer = healthy glow. I mean, no one actually falls for that, do they? My hands, neck and decollete are bone-pale, so why would I want to go pink, or dust bronzer onto my face and make it float like a disembodied suntan? And if I have problems with the chemicals in foundations, imagine my revulsion at the chemicals in fake tans (please don't self tan ladies - anyone with half an eye can tell what you have done, and it usually ain't pretty)!

The second revelation for me was when I discovered that EL do a 1W2 powder, called Linen. Also a perfect match for my pale yellow toned skin. Not sold in Europe, of course, so I had to buy it on eBay and ship it to the UK, but the Linen is also perfect (marginally darker than the Bone), and helps the makeup last - and REALLY looks natural. By the way, if you want to wear both the DW foundation and powder together, then be SPARING. They both benefit from a light hand.

So, here I am, for the first time in my adult life of 20+ years, with a foundation that matches my skin perfectly. Matching powder that can be worn on its own for lighter coverage. Unbelievably wonderful. And what is even more wonderful, is that the double wear aspect (heaven knows what chemicals are involved!) actually STICKS to my skin. When I get a bit shiny, I just blot with the nearest tissue, the oil is absorbed, the makeup stays on my skin, and I look as good as I did at 8am. It even seems to hold onto blusher.

I come home after an 11 hour day and look in the mirror to find that the only part of my face that needs touching up my lipstick and concealer - so maybe I should try those in doublewear too.

See, a shameless hypocrite, willing to plaster my face with dreadful chemicals, just to look good. Grin.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2009 1:24:00 AM More reviews by vleemakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this product about 8 years ago when I was in my early 20s & absolutely loved how flawless it made my skin look. I bought it again yesterday & found that the foundation isn't as thick as it used to be & my skin doesn't look as flawless as it did with the original double wear. I'm not that impressed with the way it makes my skin look dry - which is hard as I don't have dry skin; I have oily t-zone normal cheeks. I bought the powder too & think the problem may be applying it with the sponge & not my usual way with powder brush or bronzer/kabuki brush. I'm going to try it again tonight. I won't be buying it again it this doesn't improve; however, it is quite a good one to wear when out in the sun & to the gym as it doesn't budge too much or too noticeably - which is 1 reason why I may purchase this again. For $68AU it's not a fantastic foundation, I would expect something that glides onto my skin & left me feeling flawless. The jury is still out.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2009 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Sarah91x

I've been looking for a really good foundation for awhile and really wanted to try this product, however i was really indecisive as there are so many mixed reviews on here. Anyway whilst i was at Macys i asked to try this on, i loved it, excellent coverage and it didn't feel to heavy or look cakey at all. Before i bought it i asked to see what it was like outside because i don't trust their lighting. The match is perfect for me (Shell) Im definitely glad i tried this, foundations usually melt off my face after a couple of hours but this lasts throughout the day, smells a little like paint but that doesn't really bother me, i apply this with my hands and the finish is flawless. Deffo recommend this

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2009 12:12:00 AM More reviews by skinz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Good Result, Price ok, and packaging is quite nice.
ofcos will like to use it again, get 1 and try.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2009 7:10:00 PM More reviews by glowkitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

So, I think I have finally found my HG foundation! This foundation is just splendid! It provides excellent coverage. A little goes a loooong way. The bad thing is that I felt it dried too quickly when I first applied it to my face, so I had trouble blending it out when I first got it. But since having it and using it a while, I've gotten the hang of it and have been able to work out a technique to get it to blend a little better. I've used both the MAC 190 and 187 to blend this. I prefer the 187. I just stiple it really quickly all over my face, then blend. It works well for me and I don't have that problem with it drying too quickly. This is a very matte foundation, which is good for me since my nose gets so oily throughout the day! When wearing this, I don't get anywhere near as oily as I did! This foundation also provides maximum coverage, so at first I thought it would be something I wouldn't be able to wear every single day. But if you just put a little dab, it works great as an everyday foundation! Like I said, a LITTLE goes a LONG way with this!

In MAC, I am NW 15 and for full coverage, I've always liked Studio Fix fluid. But if I wear that two days in a row, I'll break out. Also, that foundation gets orange on me and is very dark. In Estee Lauder's Double Wear, I am the shade of Ecru-- which is not something I'd normally pick out because it looks darker for me. However, it blends great and matches my undertones quite nicely! I am very satisfied with the shade. The MA tried it on me and gave me a 10 day sample, as well as a 10 day sample of another shade, Shell. Ecru was way better! I went back to purchase the full size bottle. The thing I don't like about the packaging is that I need a foundation pump. I'm going to have to go back and ask if they have one for this bottle. If not, I can deal. This foundation is just too great. And best of all, it doesn't break me out!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/14/2009 7:35:00 PM More reviews by jacwinks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After reading the reviews on here, I decided to try this product. Once again, I could find something significantly cheaper that would produce the same results. The coverage wasn't that great either.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2009 5:01:00 PM More reviews by sarahjeeves

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This has to be the best foundation i have ever used! the coverage is excellent and it lasts all day. I have very oily skin and it doesn't make my skin matt in any way so i use a translucent powder over the top. It also doubles as a concealer. The price is ok because a bottle can last months. I do suffer breakouts and it has never clogged my pores and caused black/white heads! I am on to my second bottle now and would say this is estee lauders best product by far.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2009 3:30:00 PM More reviews by sampucka

i tried this foundation about 2 years ago for the first time i was totally hooked very good coverage lasts the day the 2 major things i look for in a foundation, i really do like this foundation as a weekend/going out foundation it does break me out abit but even still i always have a bottle hanging around and people always comment on my make up when im wearing it!! worth having a bottle kicking around for them flawless face days, just be sure you get the right colour cause the colours can be abit iffy!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2009 1:43:00 AM More reviews by BeeStrong

I love this product. I have never experienced a foundation that covers completely. In my opinion this foundation is worth the price, based on the quality it produces.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2009 3:09:00 AM More reviews by espinovale

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I recently purchased this foundation in Bone and I love it because I didn't have to blot as often. I used to wear Mac studio fix nc15, iwas bumed because my new foudation did ot come with a pump so decided to try the pump from the Studio fix and it worked.....they sell for@$4.50 at the Mac counter.