October 21, 2014 | 2121 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2009 11:06:00 PM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this a while back and had stopped using it because I wanted to sample some other foundations for summer.

Well, all the other foundations failed and I am now back with Double Wear.

DW is the only foundation that stays put all day and doesn't turn into a huge oil slick by lunch time.

It can be a bit thick, sticky, and challenging to blend, but I've found that if I use my MAC 188 (stippling) brush and just patiently keep blending, it eventually smooths out into a very natural finish.

I would describe the coverage as almost-full. It doesn't cover every little thing, but the finish is much nicer than most foundations. I think that's why some people describe it as full coverage-- because the finish really does camouflage imperfections very well.

This is not the only foundation I love, but I think it's going to be the most dependable one for summer.

I will definitely repurchase.

UPDATE: It's official; this is my HG foundation. It controls oil like no other, but without looking overly matte or dry. Nothing compares to the finish.
    I also wanted to mention that for my NC30 skin, I use a combination of Sand and Tawny shades. Sadly, there is no exact match for my skin tone. And I did shell out the extra cash for two MAC foundation pumps to make sure it stays clean and easy to dispense. I love it that much.

UPDATE 5/1/10: I stopped using this again last winter. It started to feel too drying. I would say this is a good foundation for oily, acne-prone skins. But for drier skins, it may be a bit dehydrating.

I do think that a very light layer applied with a stippling brush is the best way to wear this. Otherwise, it can feel heavy.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2009 5:32:00 AM More reviews by leia989

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was the only liquid foundation I actually purchases twice in a row. It stayed in place, it didn't shine, had great coverage, and it didn't make me breakout. I usually didn't look mask-ish except when I had gotten tan or pale and probably needed to get a new shade.

I have started trying out other foundations because I wanted to see if I could find one to make me look a bit more natural. I am thinking of switching back to this one if I don't find something else soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2009 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Janelliee0x

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Well, first things first. THIS FOUNDATION IS AMAZING! It covers so well, it's like magic in a bottle. This is coming from a person that has bad acne scars that are so hard to cover! But, this stuff covers them totally! I've tried MAC SFF and Select in NC15 & NW15 (coverage was buildable but never had time to build it up!), Loreal True Match in W2 (weard texture), Covergirl (All Foundations) in Classic Ivory (too sheer, little-no coverage), Clinique Super Fit (Lightest color was too orange), Lancome TEINT IDOLE ULTRA in Buff 2w (it worked well too but this is better) Revlon Color Stay in Buff (works like MAC Select), Maybelline Ivory products (too orange!), Almay Ivory (all)(too sheer)
    Lets see I tried alot of products and let me tell you, THIS ONE IS THE BEST.
    If you want to get a GOOD foundation, get this one. It lasts all day, never oxidizes or goes that ugly fake tan orange that people always look at when your on the bus!
    Heres a tip, if you have oily/combination/normal/dry skin moisturize because it does have a matte finish and sometimes depending on the skin type it may look a little cakey if you dont but honestly after 10 minutes it looks wonderful!!! The color im using is Linen and it matches soo well, I added my past colors I have used in the past up above, it may help out a bit!
    Hope I Helped somebody!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2009 12:20:00 AM More reviews by jt58612

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this on at a makeup counter and it was nice at first, but I think I got matched with the wrong color. However, even if I was matched with the right color, the foundation seemed a little on the thick side for me. I felt like I was wearing a mask everywhere I went and felt really self conscience of myself. Also, when I sweat the sweat kind of just beaded up on my skin. It didn't feel natural on my skin at all. I thought the coverage was great and it won't melt on your skin when you sweat, but it's not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2009 1:01:00 PM More reviews by holly1988

This is one of my favourite foundations mainly because it stays true to colour. The shades are all very natural looking and it never oxidises on the skin.

The coverage is fairly good, I have scarring and spots and it covers them quite well. This is the closest full coverage transfer resistant foundation I have found so far and it's perfect for day wear.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2009 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Lazee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This looks really cakey and horrid in natural light, so you can only get away with wearing it in the evening. But be aware because the colour selection is ridiculously strange. When applied to the skin the colour looks nothing like it does in the bottle. (weird weird wied!) I was matched to shell beige which looked a gorgeous tan colour in the bottle but once applied over moisturizer it looked grey and ashy.. wtf is up with that!!? Then I tried applying it over bare skin (no moisturzer) and the colour looked a bit better but still no where as nice as in the bottle. Also It's completely flat in natural light and doesnt even cover blemishes that well! Also this made me break out everytime I wore it. It sticks to my face like paint and is very diffucult to take off. The only thing you can use to remove it completely is some over drying stripping cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2009 2:53:00 PM More reviews by xMissMurderx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ive been using this foundation for awhile now, I used to use the Double Matte but after I complained that it was a bit too heavy looking the sales girls turned me on to this. It seems to be a lighter formula than the Double Matte and it still does a great job at controlling my oily areas. Ive gone through sevearl bottles of this and its pretty much been my HG foundation. It stays on all day I can go to work and I really dont have to do any touch ups which is great. The only problem Ive had is finding the exact perfect shade for me. Id been using Linen and the girl told me it looked too dark so they sent me home with a sample of Shell and Bone I think. The shell might be a bit better but I really thought Linen was the best. Maybe they just dont have a shade that will perfectly match my super fair skin? Ive recently purchased MAC studio fix fluid in NC10 and Im giving that a try but if I dont like it I will always have my Double Wear!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 2:50:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

In my quest for the perfect foundation, I stopped by the EL counter and sampled the wares. The clerk applied the perfect shade and I walked away with a $40 bottle of foundation. But hey, it was worth it because it was my EXACT shade, right? But the next day I applied it and it was too light! I figured she must have used a darker powder to even things out. I really liked the formula and the coverage, but I just couldn't get my color. I returned it. The search continues.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2009 4:15:00 AM More reviews by bebepinkdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I will give my two sense on this foundation. Let me say that it is pretty darn good and I think my HG now for. It covers soooo well. Only thing is if you have wrinkles or any wrinkles for that matter this foundation with emphisise them. I just turned 20 and seriously I put this on and already saw a wrinkle around my mouth I never even saw before. So I would say if you are young and want a good coverage fdn go get this its amazing but when I turn 25+ I think im gonna have to look for another foundation. Overall it is really great!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2009 9:17:00 PM More reviews by colleenwin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my all time favorite foundation. The secret for me is to first use my daily moisturizer, wait a few minutes, then apply the foundation. This really helps it spread easier and I have found even when using the moisturizer under it, it still stays put all day. I work outside a lot and tend to get pretty sweaty in the summer and this foundation still looks great at then end of the day. I have some dark spot around my chin and this covers them beautifully all day. I think it gives imperfect skin a flawless look. I also have very sensitive skin and this has never bothered it. Will purchase forever and ever!! HG!!!!!