MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This seems to be a product that can't be described objectively: everyone who uses it has a different experience. My own has been positive--once I learned how to use the stuff.

I bought it because I was curious about the color-matching system that so many people swear by. I turned out to be an NW20--cool-toned and fair/medium. (Not every MAC sales associate agreed, though--one insisted I was NW15.) The MUA who sold me the makeup didn't take much time to explain how to apply it, and as a result I stopped using it for a while.

I am used to thick foundations, because for much of my life I had chronic cystic acne and a red, uneven complexion. So when I first began using this, I laid it on rather generously, even though I'd also bought the brush recommended by the MUA (the 190, a flat, paintbrush-type thing). The result was that I used too much and the liquid looked very yellow on me. I thought that was intentional--an attempt to counteract the redness of my skin--but I didn't like it, so after a while I stopped using it. I took a look at the 187 brush, which applies foundation much more lightly, but it didn't suit me.

Okay, long story short: I finally learned how to use the makeup, and that is to apply it sparingly but evenly. What I do is lightly dip the 190 brush into the bottle (even when the makeup is running low, a shake or two will bring some to the top of the bottle) and spread it over my face thinly. The liquid offers so much coverage and pigmentation that a thin layer is all you need--and anything more will look clownish.

I shouldn't have had to discover this on my own. The MAC sales associates should have told me. But I've found them to be an extremely inconsistent lot--some are good, many are ignorant and lazy. But that's another subject.

This makeup lasts all day for me, from ~7:00 am to 9:00 or 10:00 at night. My oily t-zone does need to be blotted (I like MAC's Blotting Powder in Medium), but blotting it does not remove any of the makeup.

I do think that MAC should make this available in more shades, especially those at the fair end of the spectrum. The lightest "cool" shade that they sell is NW15, and my own NW20 is just one step darker than that. That's unusual in my experience--with most other foundations there are many shades lighter than the one I use.

But, if you can find a shade that suits you, you like medium to heavy coverage, and you learn how to use it, I think you'll be happy.

I actually would give this a 3.5 if I could. I got a sample of this from Macy's two weeks ago after my mishap with MAC's pro longwear liquid foundation. I really liked this. It has great coverage, looks and feels natural, and sets to a satin(ish) finish. I normally prefer a matte finish, but since it's winter, a satin finish isn't too bad after it gets set with powder. I was thinking about purchasing a full size bottle of this when, after a week of using it, I broke out really bad. It could have been something else, but as soon as I stopped using it, my skin clear up immediatly. So It has to have been the foundation, dang it. I would recomend trying this though if you are not acne prone or sensitive.

Having first tried MAC's mineralise satin finish in NC20 I was a bit disappointed as I had heard rave reviews for MAC products from friends. I really tried to like this product and kept using it (as I had paid a nice price for it too!) however I found it looked fine for about an hour an then started to look patchy etc. THEN I tried the Studio Fix Fluid foundation in NW25 and I am now a proud MAC addict!
I apply it with a MAC 187 brush which makes the product go a lot further. It glides on covering any skin imperfection in its path. You could very well wear this product on its own with no powder etc as it just gives flawless matte perfect skin.
I choose to use MAC Mieralise Skin Finish powder in Medium Plus over it which gives incredible lasting power and an even more flawless finish, I then use MAC Bronzing Powder in Bronze for contouring and last but not least MAC Mineralise Blush in Dainty to add a little colour to my cheeks!!
This may sound like a lot of product however the finished look still manages to look completely naturally flawless and healthy! (I swear)
I also see that a lot of people have trouble with the fact that there is no pump with this foundation but you can buy the pump for around €3-4 I think, (I got mine in London for £2.50) and considering you can clean them and use the same one in your new bottles I think thats a worth while investment!!

I love the coverage of this foundation, but unfortunately can't find a shade to match. My summer color was NW20, which was a bit orangey for me but not that bad... and NW15 is still too orange.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

First of all... It made me breakout like only 2 bumps but my skin toughened up and it got used to its formula. Second of all ... The coverage is amazing but im scared that if i layer it, it will look cakey .But overall i'm Lovin It... I also LOVE the smell Im addicted! I would most likely Buy Again ... BTW I'M a NC25,...
Edit: After wearing Sculpt for a little while, I got back to this foundation and its again My HG because its full coverage or medium and thats what i love!
xoxo
I Definitely have to write more about this Luxurious makeup.Its lightweight and feels like nothing yet gives flawless full coverage. I think that its the only full coverage makeup that I own that doesnt crease when I smile or looks a little cakey... LOVE IT 4 EVER HG !

I love this foundation! This product pretty much stays put until you take it off. The color is beautiful. The coverage - amazing. Great value. And it has SPF as an added bonus. All around awesome!

The only minor cons so far: 1) In dry weather, I've found that I need a much heavier moisturizer under this to keep it from looking too matte. 2) The heavier moisturizer does make the foundation a little more slippery, like it might rub or wear off sooner than expected. (I don't wear a primer with this, but now I'm reconsidering that as I type!)

In the winter months, I downgrade to a lighter shade - or mix my regular NC20 with some of my Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer - to get the right tone.

For the record, I usually apply this with a kabuki (skunk?) brush from MUFE, and I use Creme de la Mer - lotion in the summer, creme in the winter.

And, YES, the bottle without a pump is annoying but tolerable. I just try to pour out a drop at a time to avoid waste, but I completely agree with the other reviews because it is annoying!

i used this years ago but i stopped. i decided i wanted more coverage. why i ask myself because my face was clear and smooth with just some color differences. i guess i was going thru a funk. anyhoo i broke out horribly in my chin and jawline. it was aweful actually not was still is. i just want to break down and cry (ok thats dramatic) but its really bad. i used their mineral stuff with no problem so i guess ill go back to that. i just wanted something to last longer during the day. blah!

I have been using this foundation for about 6 months now. Suprisingly, I havent broken out from it (i normally breakout bc of sensitive skin). At first, this foundation gave me amazing coverage and looked beautiful on my skin. Lately, it has started caking and as someone mentioned previously,..... sucking every drop of moisture from my face. I have started using a crazy heaving duty rich moisturiser to counter-balance the foundation, but it hasnt helped. For those with oily or normal skin, this would be a fantastic foundation. For those with dry skin, it makes it drier.
Overall; I have to say this was one of the better foundations (for texture and coverage), but not good for dry skin. So, I guess I'm still looking for the one.
The girl at MAC suggested the mineralize, so I will give it a try. (fingers crossed!!)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I just don't know how I feel about this product but I can definitely say that it isn't worth 30 dollars. It gives excellent coverage but it doesnt last all day(even with mac primers). The only reason that I continue to use this product is because I just haven't found anything that perfectly matches my skin color and gives me full coverage. One positive that I can say about this product is that it lasts a long time because one to two pumps is all that you need. Bottom line, until I find something better, I will continue to purchase this product.

Got this in NC20 and thought it was pretty good at first, It provides a thick coverage and the shading was perfect (although I noticed that the shading for this foundation is different from other MAC foundations as I also got the Mineralize foundation but in NC25 and it appears to be much lighter).
I didn't buy a pump when I purchased this but it is very difficult to get out of the jar/bottle thing and the chances of it all pouring out are high. It is thick and hence does tend to cake over any dry patches, drying them out more and over time it oxidises to an awful orange colour.
I tried using this without any powder but it seemed much too heavy, and there is the big risk of the colour changing over time.
Not a great foundation for my skin, but I'm guessing is pretty good if your skin isn't dry and you are looking for a fuller coverage.