Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

3.9

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

OMG, this product is the best!! I'll admit, I've never used a gel eyeliner before for fear that my shaky hand would cause me to make myself look like a raccoon but the brush that comes with this product ensures smooth, even lines. I started off slow, with short strokes on my eyelid so I could create a thin line. It looked great! So I decided to give myself a little extra oomph and went over my already perfect eyeliner with more of the gel so I could have more dramatic eyeliner. That looked even better!!
The little brush helps you to apply it evenly and as thin, or thick, as you want. One more huge perk of this product, it does not get flaky or smudgy and lasts all day. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this product ~ my only wish is that I knew about it sooner. : )

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Overall I love this eyeliner! I got this in Black, and the formula is very odd creamy gel consistency, and is super pigmented. I used a 3/4" Loew Cornell angle brush or the Ecotools angle brush with this, and it glides on smoothly on my eyelids. The creamy formula allows for a bit of smudging for a smoky look, but also sets well after it dries. I use this everyday for a cat eye look.

The only con is that this eyeliner tends to smudge throughout the day. Having monolid eyes doesn't help either, since my top eye line becomes hidden when my eyes are open. However, I usually combat this with a good eye primer- either UDPP or NYX's Eye Base.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have it in black and eggplant. The black is just a typical black gel eye liner. I've heard negative things about eggplant, but the one I got has a nice purple to it, and I don't have to put a lot on in order for the purple to be noticed on the lid. They last on my lids all day, and it's really easy to clean off. For the price, it's a good product and I'll keep buying it.

This is one of my all time favorite drugstore products. Usually I buy MAC and other department store makeup brands, but eyeliner is one of those things that I've been able to find really good products without the high price tag. Anyway, the brush that comes with this is wayyy easier to use than my Smashbox one. The eyeliner (I purchased Blackest Black because I heard the other colors had pigmentation issues) is sooo creamy! I always use more than I think I'll need, that way I get the right amount of pigment and the look that I want without having to go back a second or third time. It's great for creating dramatic looks, and it won't come off! I usually put on my eyeliner before my eyeshadow, that way my eyeshadow sets my eyeliner and tones down the color a bit. After ding this, I rubbed my eye, and nothing happened! It stayed put! Amazing!!!! Two words: BUY THIS!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

UPDATE [03/2011]: moved this up to a 5, for two reasons:

1. Tested side by side, and overnight, against Bobbi Brown: lasts as well. It's also exactly as easy to apply.

2. Went mad (by my standards) and bought the eggplant. It's gorgeous: eggplant/aubergine, not too purple or black, enough brown to it to keep it warm and burgundy-tinged.

Very good gel eyeliner; available in black, eggplant, and brown. I have the brown [and now the gorgeous eggplant!], and use this in alternation with Laura Mercier's cake in Mahogany and Bobbi Brown's gel one in Chocolate Shimmer Ink, pretty much every day. Works well for tightlining. A good option if you're irritated by bismuth oxychloride (in the otherwise lovely Clinique Black Honey brush-on liner, alas) and looking for a cruelty-free one; other options, similar in application and effect, would include the Bobbi Brown and MAC gel eye liners. Except they're quite a bit more expensive.

The Drama is packaged with a brush, which looks fine; I'm sticking to using an old brush from the Clinique brush-on liner, as it has a short handle which is more useful for me (being short-sighted). The Maybelline brush looks quite similar, except for the longer handle: small head, short firm bristles, flat top i.e neither angled nor tapered.

The jar is basically the same as the Bobbi Brown one: glass, with a screw-lid. Same volume (3g). I have the same niggle with both jars: while they keep the liner pretty fresh and airtight, the lid is a PITA especially between eyes--I remove it, dip brush, close lid, apply liner to one eye, repeat process. In between, there's a lot of juggling tools. On the other hand, it does give a full workout to all your fingers. But I'd rather have a flip-cap that clicks shut. That might just be me, only having two hands, and not being at my most coordinated first thing in the morning.

The liner itself is drier than other gel ones I've used, but applied as easily and lasts as well. I only need it to last all day, and if left on overnight, it's still been there the next morning. Only been using it for tightlining, so I can't comment on its possibilities for cat-eye flicks etc.

The colour is quite matte; which is fine for everyday work-appropriate neutral/natural-effect simple enhancement. Look to MAC & BB for more glimmer and glitter.

Regularly available from drugstores; in a 3g screw-top glass pot. Hasn't dried out yet. Costs in the region of $10-15.

INGREDIENTS: cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ +/- ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide] continued >>

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was disappointed in this liner. I really liked the fact that it comes with a brush already so you don't have to worry about buying another one, but it did not last longer than 3 hours for me. I had originally been using the Bobbi Brown gel liner and found that the extra cash for the longer lasting liner was much better for me.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Great gel eyeliner, the brush that came with it is surprisingly good. There's a decent amount of product in the jar, and it easy to apply once I warm it with the back of my hand, but it just isn't as pigmented as I would like it to be.

I love the eyeliner itself, HOWEVER the brush seems to hate me. The first time I used it, my eyeliner was perfect. Then, the brush just stopped creating a smooth, even line, and now I'm resorting to dipping a normal eyeliner pencil into the gel (which actually gives an amazing, long-lasting line). I bought this product on a whim because I didn't feel like paying for a MAC gel liner and brush (the brush itself being, for about 3-4 hairs, nearly 20 dollars).
So, if you have a different brush already, or don't mind using using a pencil with this (any cheap eyeliner pencil works, really. I'm using my e.l.f. one), I'd recommend getting it. The gel itself is really good quality, especiallyif you typically buy department store brands and want a cheaper alternative.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I got this product in the shade of brown. I always struggled with pencil liners, they always faded away so quickly, were hard to apply, I could never draw a perfect thin line like I wanted.
Well, this liner works pretty well. I love the clean, thin, almost perfect line I can manage to get every time.
Looks very professional, & it doesn't fade either.
I can't think of any cons.
Well, except it was about $10. But, I guess you get what you pay for! :)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought 2 colors, the black and eggplant. The black is great. The color is long lasting and doesn't really smudge even though I have oily lids. The brush it came with isn't that reliable to me. It worked great a few times but it felt like it was dying afterwards so I just started using a traditional eyeliner brush. It seems to sort of dry out fast? But its possible I just left it open for too long I guess. But this product is great! It's not as smooth as Mac's fluidline but its great for only $6.

AVOID THE COLOR: EGGPLANT! It looks great in the bottle but the color isn't pigmented at all. It took so many applications and all I was able to achieve was a faint purple. It looked really awful and too way too much time for a look I wouldn't even wear in public.

Video Reviews & Tutorials