Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

Always on the lookout for new drugstore products that last, I picked this up several months back. I bought Eggplant, a shimmery purple. It has good (but not great) staying power and I'm very pleased with it for the money.

I gotta say, Maybelline in the 21st century is selling better makeup than they did back in the 1970s. I'm enjoying this eyeliner, I have an eyeshadow quad that I like (read about it here on MUA, tx guys) and the Color Sensational lipstick is, well, sensational!

Please understand, dear reader, that whatever eyeliner I have deployed for the day, it always starts melting around mid-afternoon and ends the day as smudge under my eyes. The good news is that this gel eyeliner comes second to HIP cream eyeliner for longevity. I grant you that the Maybelline color is a little thinner than the HIP and you won't get an opaque line like HIP cream liners give you. (But the HIP color selection is so boring! I'm too fair to wear black eyeliner and the blue and teal colors are awful next to my hazel eyes. I'm on my second pot of the brown, what more can I do?)

Anyway, I'm not sure what all colors are out there for the Maybelline eyeliner but now that more drugstores are carrying it, I'll have to snoop around next BOGOF sale at RiteAid. Maybe there's a nice gray, or taupe, or a grayish-green? Now we're talking. And if I'm lucky, the HIP color mavens are listening in, too.

on 5/1/2010 11:56:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm very impressed with these eyeliners. They're very easy to put on and very buildable unlike other liners where if you screw up you can't fix it. I've got these in brown and eggplant - the eggplant is absolutely gorgeous on my green eyes - it's the prettiest plum/purple eyeliner i've ever tried because it's still a neutral enough color to wear everyday if that makes any sense!

This is such a steal (especially when it's on sale) compared to other high-end gel eyeliners.

I personally think the pigmentation is quite decent, and the little brush that comes with it is very good for applying the liner, which is surprising, because usually random generic brushes flat-out suck.

I haven't tried L'oreal HiP, but I've tried Buxom Lash and Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliner. Those two are slightly better in terms of pigmentation and consistency, but this stuff is pretty much up there.

:D

This product is pretty good for a drugstore gel eyeliner. I bought the eggplant shade, and a positive thing about it is that the colour is strong and opaque. The downside was that I had to pile layers of it on for it to show up. Also, it's not as fluid as the more expensive gel liners so it tends to clump a little, but it's not that big of a deal.
It's a decent liner, plus I LOVE the purple colour.

on 4/28/2010 11:21:00 PM

This is my first cream eyeliner and I must say that I am impressed, considering its price. Been using pencils and liquid liners all along and finally decided to get a cream/gel one after reading the reviews here. I really like it! Pencils don't last long and usually smudge after 1-2 hours, and my liquid liner from body shop tends to make my eyes sting really bad. The brush applicator that comes with the pot is very easy to work with and Iasted for 6 hrs! Furthermore it didn't crease or smudge at all. Before applying it I actually primed my eye with a concealer and I think tht helped with the staying ability as well. I got the liner in brown cause I think it looks less harsh on my fairer skin tone. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative and still want quality, I'd definetely recommend this. 5 lippies!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

I was running out of L'oreal HIP cream liner so I thought i'd give this a try, so I bought it in black. The color isn't very pigmented and seems very sheer (it took several coats to get it dark enough, while HIP only takes one). The texture isn't bad, but it smudged very easily. The only reason I decided to keep it is because I really love the brush it came with.

on 4/26/2010 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

well this an OK gel eyeliner . not a big deal . some parts just disappear and others break into my eyes . the only good part is the brush which is really good . I didn't return it only because of brush . take my advice and don't waste your money .

on 4/26/2010 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am a big fan of gel liner and when I found out about this I just had to pick it up. I got it in eggplant. It doesn't go on smoothly like the gel liners I have and it smudges as well. Instead of using it as a liner I use it as a base.

on 4/24/2010 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

After hearing a lot of positive feedback on this gel eyeliner, I decided to give it a try (was only $7USD at a local Rite-Aid). I got it in Charcoal and it came with a brush. I didn't use the brush because I wasn't a fan of tiny brushes (I preferred my MAC 266 better). The eyeliner smeared a bit for me but it lasted 6+ hours which I thought was AMAZING for a drugstore brand. The color wasn't that great but only because it was a bit shimmery (not a fan of shimmery stuff) and I wasn't able to get a hold of the blackest color. The texture is smooth and it goes on the same way. I probably won't be using this eyeliner as often but for the price, I think it's worth it. Probably the best gel eyeliner for drugstores in my opinion. I probably won't buy this color again but I do want to give Blackest Black a try.

on 4/23/2010 6:57:00 PM

I have a lot of gel liners (too many, probably) , and while this one is okay I'm not too enthusiastic about it overall. On the plus side, I love that this comes in a charcoal color, which I find more flattering on me than black and good for making hazel/green eyes pop. The liner goes on smoothly and doesn't tug or pull, and the packaging is solid. On the negative side...yeah, this one might be a bit too soft of a gel, as it does smudge a bit on me. Not too much on the lower eye but definitely on the eyelid, and that's even with using UDPP. It's not terrible and it usually blends with my eyeshadow color, but it does smudge and that's disappointing. So -- I like this and will continue to use it as the color is perfect, but when I'm finished with it I will continue my search for the perfect charcoal gel liner.

Video Reviews & Tutorials