October 22, 2014 | 1070 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2009 9:08:00 AM More reviews by shayyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I previously was using Dior's Forever, which I had reviewed believing it was the closest I was going to get to HG for a foundation. Then I read the reviews of NARS Sheer Glow and oh my gosh, THIS is HG! First of all, it feels and looks so lightweight, where as Forever could look a bit like a mask if I didn't blend it properly. Sheer Glow I can build the coverage while it still looks natural and like skin. I have checked myself in many different lightings and am extremely impressed. This does not exaggerate tiny bumps or dryness where Forever could in certain lights. I also mentioned how Forever could be a tad more natural looking and with their ingredients. Sheer Glow is fragrance free, dermatologist tested and non-comedogenic. Can it get any better?! Only thing.. it doesn't have a pump and it is damn expensive in Canada :( 62 dollars is a lot for a student but I will sacrifice it because I LOVE this foundation.

EDIT: While I am still very impressed with this foundation, I think it is definitely better in the drier months. I did not love it throughout the summer at all, as it would pretty much slide off my face within a couple hours, even with powder AND urban decay's setting spray. I am currently using YSL's teint radiance and may or may not come back to this once that bottle is finished

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2009 9:50:00 AM More reviews by tobers1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this foundation for a week now. I have super sensitive/acne prone skin and have had NO negative reaction with this foundation. This foundation covers beautifully and is long lasting. I have tried over 30 foundations and this one is definately one of the best!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2009 11:44:00 AM More reviews by Vittoriak

I think I have found my HG foundation, and this is the first time I have ever used this word. Yes, I have oily skin but my skin looks dull easily and so I have never liked matte foundations. So I bought Sheer Glow instead of Sheer Matte.
This foundation offers a flawless look without being cakey at all. The acne marks and dark circles disappear nicely. My skin looks radiant and wonderful. I do need to blot after a couple of hours, but meh, I don't mind at all! It stays on well on my face until late night. I just love, love, love it!
One note on how to take the foundation out:
Use a makeup stainless steel spatula! One dip into the foundation and you can take out the exact amount that you will need for your face.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2009 3:21:00 PM More reviews by Winthrop44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have rosacea with normal to dry, super-sensitive, pale skin. Between my paleness and the fact that I react to so many commonly used cosmetic ingredients finding foundations is not easy. This new foundation, which is intended for normal to dry skin types, doesn't contain any of my known irritants. I was a little apprehensive about the turmeric (which Paula Begoun says has potent antioxidant properties but may be irritating to skin) but gave it a go. I've been using it for about 2 weeks now and my skin has no problems with it. I'm a light NC15 with neutral to yellow undertones (Studio Sculpt NC15 is the only NC15 that really matches me, and that runs lighter and more neutral than other NC15 MAC foundations). I routinely wear Chantecaille Future Skin in Porcelain or Alima MMU in N1 and ended up choosing Sheer Glow in Siberia (the lightest shade for light skin with neutral undertones) even though it's light on me going on; it's more like NC/NW10. Within a short time it settles into my skin and looks fairly decent...I think because it oxidizes on me. I would probably need to mix Siberia with a bit of Deauville for a better match. By itself I found Gobi (for light skin with yellow undertones) too yellow and too dark once it dried down or oxidized (whatever is going on that makes the colors darker on me in a few minutes), Mont Blanc (for light skin with pink undertones) too peachy and too dark, and Deauville (the next step up from Siberia for light skin with neutral undertones) way too dark (MAC NC/NW20). As others below me have already mentioned this foundation feels weightless on and provides medium coverage while still managing to look natural, provided you use a small amount. The finish is satin rather than glowy as the name would imply. The package insert tells you to "warm the foundation in the hands, then, working with the fingers apply a small amount of foundation in the center of the face and begin pressing the foundation onto the skin". I agree with everyone else that they need a pump on this!

Here is a comparison pic of the lightest 3 shades on my NC10-15 skin:

Siberia - Gobi - Mont Blanc

continued >>

76 out of 77 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2009 12:28:00 PM More reviews by hollyholly

I am a makeup sales person's worst nightmare; I am so picky - especially when it comes to foundation. I HATE it to look like i am wearing foundation but I do enjoy a quite full/medium coverage that still looks natural.
This foundation makes my skin look flawless! There is no separating, flaking, dryness or maskiness. Its not OVERLY dewy either if you set it with a little powder and it does last pretty much the whole day. I am an NW20 and have Mont Blanc in Sheer Glow and its a perfect match!
I couple it with MAC strobe cream and prep + prime and it makes my skin look beautiful and radiant. I have fairly dry skin though so if you are oily this foundation is most likely not what you are looking for.
Sheer Glow is worth the price to me because it seems to be the only foundation that doesn't break me out ($100 in Australia) but I really wish that it came with a pump like the testers. HG Material. :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2009 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Lizzy28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really, really wanted to like this foundation but my skin just didn't agree with Sheer Glow;-( Let me first say I have extremely sensitive, dry, delicate Rosacean skin. On top of that I'm very pale; neutral NW/NC10. My current favourite foundations are LM Silk Creme #Soft Ivory for full coverage and Chantecaille Real Skin #Fresh for sheer coverage. But neither of those I would call HG and I'm always interested in trying pale shades of foundation. Enter Nars Sheer Glow Foundation #Siberia. I was both curious and cautious trying this new foundation because I have never liked any of Nars products so far. However it sounded promising and #Siberia looked like a great match. First on the shade: #Siberia is a pale shade; similar in level to Chantecaille Future Skin #Porcelain but #Siberia is less neutral and has more yellow undertones to it. It's not as yellow as Chantecaille FS #Alabaster but it would still be too yellow for true cool toned girls. #Siberia would definately too light for NW/NC15. So for me it was a nearly perfect shade match. If you're around NW/NC10, just give it a try.
On the foundation itself: tricky texture. Not as easy to work with as some other liquid foundations. You only need the tiniest amount, warm up between your fingers and dot onto your skin, than pat/blend. I prefer using a damp sponge over a foundation brush and esp. with this foundation.
The coverage is surprizingly good; even a little amount did a great job in covering up my ruddy cheeks! Definately not a sheer foundation IME; more medium-full while still looking natural with a semi-matte finish. Personally I prefer a more dewy finish like in Chantecaille Real Skin. On wearability: light-weight, like you're not wearing any foundation at all. Very comfy;-) I didn't set with any powder at all and it didn't fade during the day. I have to say though at the end of the day my skin did feel a bit taut and showed some flakies. I do have very dry skin though and this isn't an overly moisturizing foundation IMO. It's more drying than Chantecaille Future Skin for example.
Another pro: no scent whatsoever, yay! I'm very sensitive to certain fragrances and fragranced skincare/makeup products so finding another unscented foundation was just great.
Now for the bad part: after taking off Sheer Glow I noticed my face was covered in pimples and red spots;-( I guess I'm allergic to the Turmeric Root Extract in it. Well, it's all YMMV and my skin doesn't like many herbal/botanical stuff. Otherwise this is a nice but expensive foundation and IMO there are better, cheaper similar foundations out there. However it's great there's another pale shade of foundation available for the palest ladies so I still would recommend giving Sheer Glow a try! I've added this one to my PPP Foundations List in My Notepad and I uploaded a swatch of #Siberia in My Pictures.

21 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2009 1:49:00 AM More reviews by nchinoy

I don't do reviews often because I'm really picky with my makeup and have yet to finish a bottle of foundation. That said, this foundation is what I have been looking for. It:

a)Doesn't make me look or feel like I'm wearing makeup

b)Lasts all day without smearing

c)Doesn't highlight my dry spots or break me out (I have dry/combo skin)

d)Provides medium coverage (I am always in pursuit of perfection - hence never having finished a bottle) and so far, this foundation does it so very well!

I rarely rave about products but honestly, wearing this foundation is like walking around with my own personal lighting crew. Definitely worth the investment.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2009 4:58:00 PM More reviews by April2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation because it provides me with just enough coverage and feels good and not too heavy on my skin. Also, I found a great color match in Punjab for my NC30-35 complexion. I tried this formula in the Stromboli color which looked way too yellow on me (but for some reason, the Matte version was fine in Stromboli on me). I love how natural it looks and feels. I also purchased this in the Sheer Matte version which isn't matte enough for my taste, but is still a good foundation in my opinion. The only thing that bothers me is how runny this foundation is and how messy it can be. It really needs a pump. I found that it does take me some work to blend this foundation in with my MAC foundation brush and its hard for me to get it to not look streaky. Unlike the Matte Glow, it's harder to use fingers with this. I may try a sponge next.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Lasts all day with a little MAC blot touch up on the T-zone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2009 1:51:00 AM More reviews by sparklythings

I am really loving this foundation. It is great for everyday. It evens out my skintone, covers my redness and is just really easy to blend. the only two complaints i have is that, Nars needs to put a pump on this. It's a bit of a hassle without one.
And this foundation is really expensive. More expensive than MUFE HD foundation.
Bought this at Sephora in Canada and it was $55 before tax. Whereas the MUFE HD was $46.

EDIT: This is honestly like my HG foundation. This will always be a staple in my foundation collection. I just really really wish they would change the packaging. but it's worth it. because this is lightweight, and very pigmented. Gives my face a natural finish. lovvve this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 11:59:00 AM More reviews by loci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Better than the Sheer Matte as I would say (and I'm super oily!). I found most of the matte or long wear foundations very heavy and hard to speard out, and they tend to make your face tired through out the day, and Sheer Matte is no different.

On the other hand, Sheer Glow is just like GA LSF but with a better coverage. One thing to take note is that the shades are different between SG and SM, so if you're Fiji in SG, you might not be in SM. The consistency is great, the staying power is acceptable as well.

Overall its a ok deparment store foundation, nothing special about it. Its better than the older foundations from NARS (but those are worse than D/S), but still nothing too impressive. I'll still stick with GA LSF and LLSF (long lasting silk foundation).