July 29, 2014 | 979 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 3:50:00 AM More reviews by myersair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

WOW! I'm amazed at the number of reviews of people who say this stuff didn't take their make-up off, and my question is.... what in the world kind of make-up are you using?!?! Seriously, because I can't seem to make my make-up LAST, so any rec's would be great! LOL! Anywho, on to the review!
Oh Purity.. how many ways can I tell you I love you? Well, really, only one since I don't speak any other languages! =P Purity (along with Retin-A, a handful of other Philosophy products, and diligence and patience on my part) has saved my skin! I started using Purity after I got an Rx for Retin-A (for acne- not severe, but persistent breakouts on my chin and mouth area, as well as "pop ups" anywhere else, and a WHOLE LOTTA blackheads!) When I started the Retin-A, I dropped all my other cleansers (which were probably over-kill, and only making my acne issue worse, but hind-sight's... well, you know the rest!) and started using Cetaphil. Now that was okay, but I'm not a big fan of the texture of Cetaphil, so I asked my Dr. for a rec, and she said all she uses are Philosophy products. At first, my.. ahem.. @$%hole puckered up at the thought of spending so much for something I'd wash down the drain in a matter of seconds, but my face was peeling, dry, itchy, burning- add a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old into the mix, and I decided $20.00 was a fair price to pay for a bit of relief from the skin problems (a massage helped with the children problems- LOL). So I ordered Purity, and I haven't looked back since!
Purity is actually quite a time-saver, too, because I no longer need a second product to remove my make-up, or a third to "tone" and remove the residue of the make-up remover and cleanser (wow, no wonder men think women are insane! We spend 3 hours putting our face on, and at least half that to take it off! =P)
Fast forward 8 months later- the kids are still driving me up the wall most days, BUT my skin is A*M*A*Z*I*N*G!!! At this very moment I sit here writing this long-winded and TMI review, I have NO PIMPLES!! My skin is soft and supple, the side effects of starting Retin-A long gone, but you will have to pry my Purity from my cold, dead fingers!
Now, I'm not saying that this miraculous transformation is solely dependant of the use of Purity, but I have no doubt that Purity is an integral part of it! It's not harsh or drying at all, nor does it leave any oily (or any other kind of) residue. It takes all my make-up off no questions asked, and prepares my skin for the next step without fail (moisturizer, Retin-A... whatever that next step may be).
Now, skincare seems to be kind of an "all-or-nothing" type of thing- if you have the best Cleanser in the world, it's still not going to help if you're using the worst moisturizer! And the one thing I've really started to learn is that PATIENCE is really a skill to be honed with regards to skincare!! NO PRODUCT IS GOING TO WORK CORRECTLY IF YOU DON'T USE IT CORRECTLY, OR GIVE IT A CHANCE TO WORK!!! This is a mistake I have been notorious for making- using something for less than a month, then tossing in the towel because I didn't see any effects from it. I've now seen the error of my ways, and my skin is thanking me for it! =)
So, all in all, Purity is probably the most effective cleanser I've ever used, and has been elevated to HG status for me! I can't recommend it enough to those who want the best clean out there! =)
And for those with my skin-type (acne-prone, oily- but was dry from the Retin-A for a while, and a bit on the sensitive side) the best advice I can give you is to stop going overboard on treatments- find a gentle cleanser (of course I'd say Purity- but whatever floats your boat), a good oil-free moisturizer, and keep the acne treatment to an actual acne treatment product- putting 10 different types of acne medication on your face at the same time will only make your skin angry at you! If the one you're using turns out not to work, try another (giving it TIME to work) until you find the right one for you (for me it's Retin-A, but it took time for that, too). But keep your cleanser for cleaning and prepping your skin for treatment... and for THAT I totally, 100%, unequivocally recommend..... PURITY!!! =D

32 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2008 8:45:00 PM More reviews by TeeterTot

I seriously love this cleanser SO much, I've repurchased this at least 4x. My skin literally goes to sh*t if I stop using this for two days. I use this day and night each day. This is very gentle, doesn't foam, it just sinks into your skin. And it never ever leaves your face feeling dry after, I don't even feel like I need to moisturize(but of course I do). The bottle does say that it 'hydrates' as it melts away the makeup which they were not lying about. I also love that it has a bunch of different oils in the list of ingredients, cause I honestly believe that a healthy skincare includes giving your skin some oil whether from your cleanser or by separately mixing some oil drops into your moisturizer(which I do). Sometimes people with acne use a lot of harsh serums, gels, etc and end up with more acne due to the fact that the harsh treatments dried out your skin,causing your skin to produce more oil to compensate for the dryness. So at least you know that with this cleanser you won't ever dry out your skin. I use to break out a lot and it was because the cleansers( I used 3!) I was using sucked, and this cleanser focuses on eliminating makeup buildup, this could be the answer to all the acne you have. It pretty much cleared up most the acne I have, but i do still have some light acne but it was no where near what I had before. It has a very light,clean scent to it. This comes in so many sizes, I started out with the small travel bottle that was like $10, so you won't spend too much if you dont like it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by CrimsonKiss

I felt like I wasted a lot of money on this cleanser. All this cleanser does is clean like many other cleansers out there. It didn't get rid of blemishes or anything. I'm not going to buy another.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by ml176

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was hoping this could be my HG facial cleanser. It was just average to me. I think it is too gentle. It did not clean my make up off at all, and in general I just did not feel like it really cleaned it. The smell was not my favorite. It smelled like hot tea to me. I think this would be perfect for sensitive skin, but not combo or oily. EDIT: I have come to realize this is really good for my skin in the winter. If I am a little more generous in the amount I use, and take the time to really scrub, it cleanses my face really well. Plus, I can always use my Clinique take the day off make up remover before if I need to. This is my winter go to face cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2008 4:44:00 PM More reviews by cristinalia

I bought a bottle of this to try because of all the good reviews. I didn't end up liking it very much. It didn't do much for my oily skin. Also, I normally don't care, but I didn't like the smell very much either. I think this cleanser would be best for someone with normal skin because it didn't address my skin issues.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:37:00 PM More reviews by alphagal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing Cleanser! I've been using it on and off for about 5 years. The one problem I had before was I purchased a huge bottle at Nordstrom's and it lasted over 2 years. By the 2nd year mark, the product wasn't working as great as it used to. I ended up throwing the bottle away (argh). My best advice is to not buy huge vats of any of these products because you will not be able to use the entire bottle before the product starts digressing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2008 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Julie888

I have been using Purity for years and it has been the best facial cleanser that I've ever used. It takes off all my waterproof makeup and doesn't irritate my eyes and never makes my skin feel tight or dry. The perfect cleanser IMHO.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2008 3:08:00 PM More reviews by nailbunny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm on my third giant bottle of this, so I figured it was time to give it a review. I have described my skin as all of the following: sensitive, combo/oily, very dry, prone to redness, prone to acne, reactive, congested. I used to have skin that had dry flakies in the midst of pimples. NIGHTMARE SKIN. SKIN I WOULDN'T WISH ON MY ENEMY. So when I say this is my HG, take it to heart.

This cleanser works. For those that have tried OCM and found that they hate it, this cleanser is for you. It has all the oils in it but it's formulated so that it washes away cleanly without the irritation of scrubbing and rubbing.
UPDATE: I've found that I can't use tap water, so I can't use this anymore. Now, I'm using Avalon Organics Lavender Cleansing Milk, which I can rinse off when the tap water isn't giving me trouble (summer) and wipe off with a microfibre cloth in times when tap water is hurting my skin. It's a lot cheaper, too.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2008 1:53:00 AM More reviews by tia347

This and the Mario Badescu enzyme cleansing gel are the two best cleansers I have EVER used in my life. This is one of the best products period that I have ever used! Everyone must try this at least once. I have never had a break out while using this ...FYI

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2008 2:40:00 AM More reviews by lalalie_xoxo

This is one of the best cleansers I've had in a long time, I can't believe it took me so long to give it a try! Some info on me first:
- Dry, sensitive skin
- No acne and not prone to break outs
- Some dry patches w/ flakes

I was really afraid that this product was going to break me out because most "mosturizing" cleansers tend to leave an icky film that can't be washed off no matter what. Thankfully, this cleanser is just GREAT really simple (to it's name)--it has the capability to take off my make up and leave my skin nicely moisturized and clean! No tight skin feeling or over greasy film here!

Sure, it's a little pricey... I could buy 3 of my drugstore cleansers for one 8 oz. bottle of Purity for $20.00, but then again, I only use about a dime sized amount and it took me quite a while to get through the 2 oz. bottle I got to try this product out so when you do divide up the price with usage, it really is worth it. You get better deals on price per ounce if you buy the larger bottles, but I just don't want a pound (or more) of the stuff just sitting there.

I'd definitely repurchase because this is my HG cleanser and I usually stick to something for at least 3 or more years before deciding to switch since I'm so afraid to break out.