April 17, 2014 | 1646 users online

Makeup Brushes - E.L.F. - Studio Powder Brush

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2009 3:51:00 PM More reviews by mexiangel25

Just adding some more kudos to the already positive reviews. This is a staple brush for me: I use it for everything and for every type of foundation as well as finishing powders. It has replaces my 187, my everyday minerals flat top brush, and my Sonia Kashuk powder brush, all of which I adore, but it's just so much easier to use this one brush.
It's super soft and applies my liquid foundations, mineral foundation, and my studio sculpt with optimal coverage. It's also a lot more sturdier then the 187 which sometimes jut ends up getting really wide when you are applying your foundation. I bought the 109 because of all the rave reviews, but it hurts my face whenever I use it to stipple my foundation- this brush does not. I bought 2 of them already and several for my mom and sister.
The only con is that when I first got it, it had a really horrible gasoline/oil smell, but it went away after a couple of washings.

You should really buy this brush, you have nothing to lose. Only $3.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2009 2:56:00 AM More reviews by mozzarella

GREAT brush, worth much more than the price. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2009 4:20:00 PM More reviews by Meljolie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Let's just start off with the fact that this is very comparable to MAC's 187! It's true that this is not a duo-fibre brush but the results and purpose of this brush is very much the same. This is only $3 in comparasion to $50 something MAC's 187. I have tried using this with liquid foundation, powders (loose/pressed), blush and bronzer and with each product it produces very natural, flawless results. Let me start off with...

Liquid foundation: I put some of my Revlon Colorstay Active Foundation on my hand. I take the brush (if I want a more dewy finish, I dip it in water) and gently run it against the glob of foundation. Afterwards, I just stipple it onto my face and blend it out in circular motions. This is what I do with my MAC 187. The bristles are dense enough to stipple in the color and keep the shape without being flimsy. They are also very soft and do not scratch my face. The finish is very natural and sheer but it can be layered to be more thicker. This is a very good dense flat top brush for liquid foundation. Also, it's big enough to cover the face without causing dots or streaks.

Powders: Works GREAT with mineral foundation. Buffs everything in evenly and creates a very flawless, matte appearance. For finishing powders, it creates a nice sheer layer. I use this with E.L.F.'s mineral booster and it really buffs the stuff right into my skin so that it feels silky and doesn't look chalky or powdery. It picks up loose powder well. However, it feels like a waste the powder more for some reason. With my Ecotools powder brush, it seems like I don't need to use as much. However with this powder brush, it seems to just suck up all the product and doesn't really apply to the face as much as I'd like it to. Maybe it's just so good at buffing that I don't feel the powder go onto my face. I hope that's what it is because I don't want to waste my powder. :/ For pressed powder foundations, it works very well! I have problems with powder brushes not delivering a moderate coverage. However, this evens out my skin tone well and actually improves my skin's appearance!

Blush/Bronzer: Love it! If you have a heavy hand at applying blush... this will give you a soft, natural flush of colour without looking clownish! I tried this with some of my darker, pigmented shades of blush and it applied very sheerly. It also doesn't streak the blush. It applys very evenly and defines my cheekbones well. I love using this for blush more than an actually blush brush. Again, this is very comparable to my MAC 187. For bronzer, I don't like it when it looks too obvious, sparkly and fake. Even with my too dark bronzers (The ELF blush/bronze duo), it applied it very naturally. It just give me a healthy, radiant glow... not a tacky fake tan.

Overall, this is a great multi purpose brush. If you want a brush that will do with MAC 187 can do, this is definitely something to pick up! For $3, you can't go wrong. It's true that some bristles are uneven but I think that is just luck. Unfortunately, the way E.L.F produces their brushes just spits out a few bad ones here and there. However, this brush is really good! The only true downside to it is that it takes FOREVER to clean and dry. Because the bristles are so dense, the baby shampoo I use to clean it takes forever to thin out. When cleaning it, I'm scared that I will not clean it well enough. :/ That's my only complaint. Honestly, for $3, why not just pick this up? It's high quality stuff.

52 out of 55 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2009 7:14:00 PM More reviews by ComplexCorrigan

I need like, 3 more of these brushes!!! These are amazing!!

I bought some E.L.F. brushes and decided to buy this one as it was unlike any brush I'd seen before--not that I'm some great connoisseur of brushes--and I thought I'd see what it can do. I was a bit scared of it's dense, flat-top bristles because I thought that it would apply WAY too much color on my face. I wanted to use it for blush and I was very surprised to find out how nicely this buffs color into the skin giving a nice, natural flush with any blush that I've tried with it (Avon, Smashbox, Estee Lauder, and Jane so far). It's extremely soft but firm and it is just the right size for applying blush to my cheeks. It also really makes the color come out true while keeping it from being too pigmented and over-powering on the skin. The way the brush looks makes it seem like I paid A LOT for it; it's very elegant. This was a great find for just $3!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2009 2:49:00 AM More reviews by Rholynn

I agree with all the positive feedback!

I use this with my maybelline dream matte powder....always comes out perfectly

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2009 8:43:00 AM More reviews by taralynn36

I'm on line with everyone else. I wish I discovered this line of brushes before I bought all kinds, I sure would have saved some money. This is one of the softest brushes I have ever felt. It picks up the right amount of color for me. I use it for blush and bronzer. I've also bought the contour brush and the eyeliner brush. Love both of those as well. Now I want that C brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2009 11:16:00 PM More reviews by prham

My HG Powder brush for only $3!!!

Click to see pictures and full review continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2009 3:04:00 PM More reviews by rollinglookling

LOVE this brush. I am planning to get a backup.

It's soft, it's fluffy. I use it to apply everything. Well, mostly for blush and finishing powder. I use EDM flat top brush for foundation, but on days I just want to dust things on, I use this brush!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2009 5:32:00 PM More reviews by ekb81

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely love this brush! Honestly, it is incredibly soft and the ferrel and handle are sleek and beautiful. I used this for bronzer, blush and all over face powder. Incredibly inexpensive. Doesn't bleed or shed. One of the best brushes that ELF makes in their studio line!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2009 7:43:00 PM More reviews by captainlindarg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've had a lot of hits and a lot of misses with E.L.F. products. Some of their stuff is an absolute bargain for the quality you get for such a low price, others remind you of why it was $1 to begin with. But I digress. The point is that this brush is definitely a big huge score for me.

APPLICATION: I love the way this applies my MAC Studio Fix. It gives nice coverage but also gives you the ability to buff it in and smooth out any harshness. I found people commenting on my complexion and asking me if I was wearing foundation after I started using this brush.

SHEDDING: This brush has not shed on me at all. I'm quite impressed, as it has seen many washes and daily use.

LOOK/FEEL: Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the brush looks/feels like it cost more than it does, which is always a plus. I like the synthetic fibers, as they make it easier to wash, which is absolutely key for me as I use this brush on my face every day! I didn't notice any funky smell when I first bought it, though a lot of ELF brushes do have that. It always comes out after a good wash or two. To describe how the brush feels on our skin, let me just use this example. I accidentally left this brush in my brother's car (woe is me!), and when he called me to tell me this is how the conversation went:

"Hey, I think I found one of your makeup brushes in my car."
"Oh yeah? What does it look like?"
"I don't know, but it's like the softest thing ever. It's ridiculously soft."
:D

PRICE: $3!

BUY AGAIN?: Absolutely. I think I will buy multiple backups of this... just in case I lose one or my cat gets his teeth on mine (he LOVES to chew up my fluffiest makeup brushes)