Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 12/18/2008 12:02:00 AM

I did use up a whole bottle of this, but it didn't WOW me. It's a nice cleanser. I liked that the smell was mild and that the formula was mild, but it didn't accomplish anything remarkable for me. I didn't feel like I got less acne because of it, and it definitely did not do anything for my blackheads. I got the best results when I mixed it with Soapalaya Soaps cleansing grains (soapalayasoaps.etsy.com), but have since discovered that the Purity honestly didn't make that much of a difference, so I'm only using the cleansing grains now.

Also, I feel like the soap in the cleansing grains, Bar Naked, does a much better job of removing makeup/residue without stripping skin than Purity does. I always still had stuff on my cottonpad when I applied toner with purity. If I was really well with the cleansing grains, I don't.

on 12/17/2008 11:44:00 PM

I have found my perfect face cleanser! I have dry combination skin - and this product works wonders. It removes all my makeup, and doesn't give me that squeaky-clean-stripped-tight feeling. It is hydrating and gentle, and very faintly scented. This is the perfect daily cleanser for me.

However, if you have oily or acne-prone skin, I would definitely not recommend this, as I believe the creaminess might make you break out even more - go for the foam formula!

on 12/16/2008 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I reviewed this a few years ago and I had to rewrite it entirely. My opinion of this cleanser has completely changed for the better. Back then I gave this two lippies. My skin at the time was much more sensitive. I suspect hormones played a role in that as I was going through a lot at the time. I was having breakouts and I had to be super careful about what I used on my skin. I remember my first experience with Purity resulted in me dismissing it as just another product that broke me out. Now, I have given it another try after receiving it in a Philosophy Skincare set for Christmas. Now I can't get over how wonderful this is! It removes makeup like a dream! It does NOT leave my skin with blemishes. I find it doesn't give me any issues with dryness that many reviewers have mentioned. I love the creamy/milky texture and how smooth it feels on my skin when I'm cleansing. It removes every trace of makeup on my skin as well as heavy duty mascara! I use this and then follow with my Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner and Philosophy Hope in a Jar moisturizer. My skin looks beautiful and the texture has become smoother. Prior to using this again, I had been bouncing around from one makeup-removing wipe to the next. Then I would cleanse and my makeup still wasn't removed entirely! Purity truly makes it a one step process and for that I am genuinely grateful. I feel like I'm being much gentler and kinder to my skin because I no longer tug and pull at it with wipes. Now I'm not as worried about premature wrinkling due to all of the roughness. I will be using this as long as they make it. Holy Grail product!

on 12/16/2008 8:50:00 PM

I like this, my skin can be oily on the t zone and very dry on my cheeks so a lot of cleaners can be too harsh and drying. Purity made simple cleanses my skin without drying it out or causing break outs. It lasts for ages and is very easy to use. I've noticed since I've starting using this a lot less blocked pores on my nose and less blackheads. Lots of people comment on the smell but I really don't notice it much. I will purchase again!

This is 1/2 the reason my skin is "good". I used to break out horribly, so much so that my dermatologist wanted me on pills and $50 prescription face wash. Then I got a sample of this. My expectations were low and I was scared b/.c it contains trace amounts of dreaded oils. After much unnecessary self torture I tried it and have never looked back. My skin cleared up and really benefited from the hydrating aspects since most face washes for acne tend to over dry the skin. The other half of "my now good skin equation" is bare esscentuals foundation. I know that it's easy to have a bad exp with that makeup b/c application is diff then most and the correct color and undertone is crucial. I recommended this face wash to other women with acne so bad you wouldn't believe and their faces cleared up too so it's not just me. It's my HG of all HG products.
It's also well priced and gets all makeup off except eye stuff but whatever

on 12/14/2008 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I just bought the 24 oz, bottle after finishing my 3.5 oz. This is my HG face wash. It's perfect for acne-prone skin like mine. It cleans the skin really well without overdrying. It got rid of most of my acne.

on 12/11/2008 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

Could this product be any more overrated? First of all, it did not take off my makeup, even when I used a little bit of eye makeup remover beforehand and tried to use this to get the rest off. Secondly, it makes my face so dry, tight, and rough after I use it. And lastly, it gave me a little red rash type of thing on the bridge of my nose. This stuff does not impress me at all.

on 12/11/2008 11:16:00 AM

This cleanser must be hit or miss for different skin types/textures. I had high hopes for it since I recently started using some other Philosophy products and really like them. But after a few washes with Purity Made Simple, my face broke out with several of the large cystic pimples. I stopped using and went back to Purpose and it is clearing up nicely. Luckily, it was just a sample from Sephora so I didn't have to shell out the cash.

on 12/10/2008 12:46:00 AM

I'm not really sure what the hype surrounding this product is all about. It makes my skin feel too tight after using it. It does a fair to mediocre job of cleansing away my makeup, and it's expensive for what it is. Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser does just as good a job. Both it and the Philosophy require a wash cloth to finish the job, so I prefer the cheaper product. When used with a wash cloth, the Neutrogena actually does a much more thorough job or cleansing. The Neutrogena product also leaves my combo skin too tight and the pump style bottle is aggravating. My search for the perfect cleanser continues. Glad I purchased a small bottle of this stuff.

I've edited my review to say that this product is pretty good. I'm getting used to it and find that it doesn't dry my face as bad as the Neutrogena cleanser does. I will be trying the Loccitane sensitive skin cleanser next so I'm still on my quest. I'm so glad I purchased the little bottle.

I have used this cleanser for quite a while, and I always go back to it. I have skin that is always either very oily or very dry, and I have cystic acne but I treat it with tazorac, so I am either acne prone or sensitive, depending on how it feels like acting that day. Also, I am a makeup artist and I do wear quite a bit of foundation/eye makeup/etc.

I have not been overly impressed with the majority of philosophy's products, but this cleanser really does it for me. Regardless of my schizophrenic skin, I never break out from it, or feel oily or dry. It simply does what it is supposed to, which in my opinion, is remove all of my makeup (including the 17 layers of mascara I wear daily) quickly and leave my skin feeling clean. Nothing takes my mascara off a so quickly, and most eye makeup removers leave the skin around my eyes feeling weird, but ths one doesn't. Also, I wear contacts and this does not irritate them. I am occasionally lazy about washing my face,especially if I know it will take 17 steps to get my makeup off before I go to bed, but I know with purity I just have to put it on, rinse, apply my serums and moisturizer and go to bed. It makes it a lot easier for me to be good about taking it all off.

Also, it makes a great brush shampoo and the packaging is great. I wish I could buy the giant pump bottles they have at sephora (I'm sure they sell them somewhere if I looked hard enough), because I would easily buy it in this large of a size. That is saying a lot for me as I am not a very loyal product person, I like to try everything.

Price-wise, I feel like it is decent. I understand that it cost a lot more than a drugstore cleanser, but it does a better job and lasts a very long time. I have tried much more expensive cleansers than this and been disappointed.

Sidenote, I do not notice a strange scent to it at all.