August 30, 2014 | 1705 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2008 11:14:00 PM More reviews by mhm_megan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i bought this product about two months ago, and i haven't had any problems with it at all. sometimes, yeah i did get somewhat shiny, but it wasn't bad at all. it covered nicely and was really light on my face. i really liked the packaging. i'll probably keep the mirror part. i would recommend this.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2008 9:59:00 PM More reviews by dudeitsrenee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I loved this powder when I first bought it. It's very matte, looks natural, feels feather light, and is so inexpensive. I was never sure about the packaging, but I use a brush to apply and a seperate light-up compact mirror for touch ups, so I didn't really have to deal with the strange compact. For a few weeks, I adored this and would have given it five lippies, but then, strangely enough, I started to get shiny every day. I have very dry skin and I never experience any problems with shine, so this freaked me out - Until one day I went without makeup and my face didn't shine at all. The next day I skipped the powder and had the same results. I don't know why or how, but this was making my face oily, and I even got a few red bumps from it. It appears to be pretty popular with most, but you couldn't pay me to wear it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2008 6:30:00 PM More reviews by hannah16

i just bought this product a week or so ago because my covergirl was looking cakey and breaking me out, which almost never happens. and even after like, 30 minutes, would be all shiney. and it made my forehead look weird, which really bothers me. oh well, moving on, this is much better. i just wore that today and no foundation and my skin is fine. i put it on a few hours ago and my skin isn't oily, and i feel like if i reapplied it my forehead would still look fine. (you know how it looks cakey kind've? drives me insane...) but for now, this is much better, and also matches my skin really good. i'd reccomend it to someone. FOR NOW. i'll update if it seems to change, or breaks me out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2008 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Kathy123

This is definitely a keeper! The quality of this product is much better than the HE brands that I have tried and I have tried them all. It has a great staying power that could be attributed to the finely milled ingredients. Basically, it gets absorbed without clogging the pores. The coverage is excellent. If it is worn over liquid foundation, it will make your skin look flawless. Great job, Maybelline!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by LouiseHourihan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I 2nd the review below :( I really, really wanted this to work for me, but it made me break out badly. Not little zits either, I'm taking painful cystic ones that are seeming to linger forever. Other than that though this powder seemed really nice. I used a fluffy brush to apply so it went on sheer, and it blended with my skin perfectly without looking powdery. It did not control oil as well as I'd hoped, but nothing ever does. I think it did do a bit better than a regular powder would though. If you aren't acne prone I can see this being a really great cheap powder to use, but if you are; beware.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2008 7:57:00 PM More reviews by sanckensmom

What breaks me out is the Mineral oil...why oh why did Maybelline have to put Mineral oil in this powder??!?!?! I LOVE this powder but cannot wear it....if you can, I applaud you, as it is amazing!!!!! Great coverage, great color range and so silky and perfect....wish I could wear it!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2008 7:33:00 PM More reviews by zahnpasta99

Oh, how I wanted to like this powder. I purchased in the lightest shade. The packaging was a little strange with its swivel opening and not being able to flip the compact open. My first few days with this powder looked great, it took the shine away and my skin looked smooth, however, after no other changes I began to break out terribly in places I never break out so I stopped this and they stopped. All in all this is a decent powder, but beware there must be lots of silicones which led to zits! for reference my skin is combonation/oily t-zone.
edit: I am trying this again, so far loving it, but waiting to see if I break out, I thought maybe it was something else besides the powder. we will see!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2008 10:27:00 AM More reviews by sloro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE 3/6/09: Official HG status!
Original review: Like many other reviewers, I too was pleasantly surprised with this product! I think the coverage is pretty good for a powder, and the Sand color was a perfect match for my skin tone. I tried the Cream color as well, but it did not seem to have as good of coverage and did not control oil as well, weird.... No break-outs, and it does a fairly decent job keeping my oily skin at bay. I am one of the few who thinks the packaging is pretty cool! Applies perfectly with a large kabuki brush.
MAYBELLINE NEW YORK

MICA
CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 / IRON OXIDES
CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE ]

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2008 2:59:00 PM More reviews by librarian_girl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Maybelline Dream Matte Pressed Powder really surprised me. I picked this up on sale expecting just another not so finely milled, no color or coverage pressed powder that wouldn't do squat to control oil. I was wrong!
Dream Matte is a very finely milled powder that applies without a trace of powdery-ness or cakiness. The feel on the skin is weightless. As the name states, the finish is matte but not overly or unnaturally so with a soft-focus quality. Coverage is sheer to light. Oil blotting and control are excellent. No breakouts or other skin issues to report with its use. I'm NW20 and the Fair shade works well for my skintone.
Where Dream Matte falters is the ridiculous packaging. The powder puff is housed, with the mirror, directly below the powder in a separate compartment. The puff/mirror section swivels when you twist it the opposite direction of the powder section. This setup is neither fast nor discreet to use.
Once you get the whole contraption open and swiveled, you've got to orient it so that you can use the powder, puff and mirror all at once. After about 3 uses the mirror became streaked and dusty with transfer from the puff.
Let me be clear, there is no size difference between this and other powder compacts. This is not a clever IKEA-like space saving design. When the whole thing-a-ma-jig is open, it's like a convertible sofa bed.
In summary, Dream Matte powder is a dreamy powder housed in a puzzling origami-style compact. If you can get past the packaging, the powder inside is well worth the effort. My favorite pressed powder is MAC Blot and while Dream Matte powder compares very favorably, for the time being, I'm willing to pay a few dollars more for the easy-to-use MAC Blot compact.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2008 12:42:00 PM More reviews by owwlala

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

In a pinch had to grab something CHEAP. ($5.97 at Walmart) Got HONEY which is considered to be a medium color. I applied to my face and went Whoaaaaa, it felt silky, went on smooth and feels weightless. The color is a bit light (am MAC C35) but its not too bad and feels wonderful. Will try the next color but can make it work with bronzer. Coverage is light but buildable without caking but will never be a medium coverage powder. If I can find a color to match this will be my HG...... am sooooo excited I found it. Sorry MAC