Maybelline Dream Matte Pressed Powder [DISCONTINUED]

Maybelline Dream Matte Pressed Powder   [DISCONTINUED]
image 1image 2image 3image 4

4.1

Ingredients: Talc, Nylon-12, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Magnesium Stearate, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Methylparaben, Triisocetyl Citrate, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, (+/- May contain: Mica, CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 / Iron Oxides, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide).

i just bought this product a week or so ago because my covergirl was looking cakey and breaking me out, which almost never happens. and even after like, 30 minutes, would be all shiney. and it made my forehead look weird, which really bothers me. oh well, moving on, this is much better. i just wore that today and no foundation and my skin is fine. i put it on a few hours ago and my skin isn't oily, and i feel like if i reapplied it my forehead would still look fine. (you know how it looks cakey kind've? drives me insane...) but for now, this is much better, and also matches my skin really good. i'd reccomend it to someone. FOR NOW. i'll update if it seems to change, or breaks me out.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is definitely a keeper! The quality of this product is much better than the HE brands that I have tried and I have tried them all. It has a great staying power that could be attributed to the finely milled ingredients. Basically, it gets absorbed without clogging the pores. The coverage is excellent. If it is worn over liquid foundation, it will make your skin look flawless. Great job, Maybelline!

I 2nd the review below :( I really, really wanted this to work for me, but it made me break out badly. Not little zits either, I'm taking painful cystic ones that are seeming to linger forever. Other than that though this powder seemed really nice. I used a fluffy brush to apply so it went on sheer, and it blended with my skin perfectly without looking powdery. It did not control oil as well as I'd hoped, but nothing ever does. I think it did do a bit better than a regular powder would though. If you aren't acne prone I can see this being a really great cheap powder to use, but if you are; beware.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

What breaks me out is the Mineral oil...why oh why did Maybelline have to put Mineral oil in this powder??!?!?! I LOVE this powder but cannot wear it....if you can, I applaud you, as it is amazing!!!!! Great coverage, great color range and so silky and perfect....wish I could wear it!

Oh, how I wanted to like this powder. I purchased in the lightest shade. The packaging was a little strange with its swivel opening and not being able to flip the compact open. My first few days with this powder looked great, it took the shine away and my skin looked smooth, however, after no other changes I began to break out terribly in places I never break out so I stopped this and they stopped. All in all this is a decent powder, but beware there must be lots of silicones which led to zits! for reference my skin is combonation/oily t-zone.
edit: I am trying this again, so far loving it, but waiting to see if I break out, I thought maybe it was something else besides the powder. we will see!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

UPDATE 3/6/09: Official HG status!
Original review: Like many other reviewers, I too was pleasantly surprised with this product! I think the coverage is pretty good for a powder, and the Sand color was a perfect match for my skin tone. I tried the Cream color as well, but it did not seem to have as good of coverage and did not control oil as well, weird.... No break-outs, and it does a fairly decent job keeping my oily skin at bay. I am one of the few who thinks the packaging is pretty cool! Applies perfectly with a large kabuki brush.
MAYBELLINE NEW YORK

MICA
CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 / IRON OXIDES
CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE ]

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Maybelline Dream Matte Pressed Powder really surprised me. I picked this up on sale expecting just another not so finely milled, no color or coverage pressed powder that wouldn't do squat to control oil. I was wrong!
Dream Matte is a very finely milled powder that applies without a trace of powdery-ness or cakiness. The feel on the skin is weightless. As the name states, the finish is matte but not overly or unnaturally so with a soft-focus quality. Coverage is sheer to light. Oil blotting and control are excellent. No breakouts or other skin issues to report with its use. I'm NW20 and the Fair shade works well for my skintone.
Where Dream Matte falters is the ridiculous packaging. The powder puff is housed, with the mirror, directly below the powder in a separate compartment. The puff/mirror section swivels when you twist it the opposite direction of the powder section. This setup is neither fast nor discreet to use.
Once you get the whole contraption open and swiveled, you've got to orient it so that you can use the powder, puff and mirror all at once. After about 3 uses the mirror became streaked and dusty with transfer from the puff.
Let me be clear, there is no size difference between this and other powder compacts. This is not a clever IKEA-like space saving design. When the whole thing-a-ma-jig is open, it's like a convertible sofa bed.
In summary, Dream Matte powder is a dreamy powder housed in a puzzling origami-style compact. If you can get past the packaging, the powder inside is well worth the effort. My favorite pressed powder is MAC Blot and while Dream Matte powder compares very favorably, for the time being, I'm willing to pay a few dollars more for the easy-to-use MAC Blot compact.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

In a pinch had to grab something CHEAP. ($5.97 at Walmart) Got HONEY which is considered to be a medium color. I applied to my face and went Whoaaaaa, it felt silky, went on smooth and feels weightless. The color is a bit light (am MAC C35) but its not too bad and feels wonderful. Will try the next color but can make it work with bronzer. Coverage is light but buildable without caking but will never be a medium coverage powder. If I can find a color to match this will be my HG...... am sooooo excited I found it. Sorry MAC

I used to use Christian Dior's powder, but since i've tried this i'm ready for a change, and a very thrifty one if I may say. I have this in Sand and it absolutely blends into my skin tone. I have light little bit yellowish asian skin tone. Its not too powdery like how CD goes on, and if I keep touching up it doesn't look very done up or powdery. Great silky light finish. Doesn't make me break out either. I'm one of those who does not like the packaging however. Twist, twist, twist, I wish I could just open up like a regular compact and get on with it, without feeling I have to go through 3 steps to open it up!

I like a nice, matte look and need a pressed powder for my purse... hence I purchased this

The packaging is very interesting - a flattened compact (pan and lid) connected to a mirror/puff compartment by a swivel mechanism. Some people will hate it, some will love it. I couldn't stop opening and closing it the whole way home, it felt very hi-tech, I kept looking into my mirror, expecting a little hologram of Obi Wan to appear.

I purchased it in Fair, which is a very nice neutral hue. I gotta give this powder credit for serving up three decent colors for us fair gals instead of throwing us a single, super-pink shade like most brands do.

The texture also earns it another brownie point - this stuff is like crushed and pressed down feathers. So.. so soft. The particles pretty much roll out evenly along the skin, so I can't complain that it "just sat on my skin."

Sadly, this stuff just wasn't for me. It was too mattifying for me - it seemed to make me look too sallow and aged.

This will be a godsend for anyone who has severely oily skin, but it's not for me. Would recc for people with oilslick skin.

Video Reviews & Tutorials