Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 1/21/2009 11:19:00 AM

Philosophy Purity is the best facial cleanser I have used. There are others that I also use that I like almost as well but this is my favorite because...It removes ALL makeup including waterproof mascara, foundation, shadow and eyeliner. It's so easy and simple to use and that is why it's my go-to cleanser for a busy schedule. When I use a toner after cleansing with it, there is no residue on the cotton ball. Unlike some of the other reviewers I have not had a problem with it drying my skin. I do use a good moisturizer afterwards, though...Hope in a Bottle for daytime and various others for night, including Murad, Clinique and Perricone M.D. products. For me, it works great!

Pros: Nice packaging
Cons: Expensive, surprisingly abrasive

The simple philosophy printed on the bottle is a bit misleading. Skin care is anything but simple these days. I have oily skin, but in the winter it tends to get really dry and flaky. Add to that sensitivity and acne-prone. This cleanser was nothing special, it dried my skin out and stung when I used it. Will be returning it to sephora.

This stuff works fine and has nice subtle scent. It does a good job of removing make-up and giving you a deep clean without leaving your skin parched and tight afterwards. It's kind of like a better-smelling cetaphil.

My only complaint is that it's not really a 'pure' product in any way. Philosophy uses tons of synthetic chemicals in their stuff (like most companies do). This stuff has parabens in it, and I've been trying to avoid products with those lately.

I'm still on the lookout for my HG facewash.

on 1/16/2009 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I actually tried this a couple of days ago and now my forehead has lots of pimples! I broke out after using this. The first time it was okay but then the second time and 3rd, 4th time I noticed it was not getting better and was actually getting worst. I won't be using this again. Back to my Clean and Clear Morning burst.

on 1/15/2009 8:55:00 PM

My skin does really well with the oil cleansing method, but I noticed that this process wasn't removing ALL of my makeup. My co-worker (who has dry skin) recommended this product, raving about how it cleanses completely without overdrying. It definitely removed all the dirt and makeup, but it also dried me out....not enough to where I flaked (which is the usual reaction), but enough so that my skin broke out because of the moisture loss. I did like the squeeze bottle and that it was a practical size for traveling, and at $10 for 3-some odd ounces, it was a good deal (which was why I bought it in the first place).

on 1/15/2009 12:43:00 PM

I've heard others say this can be drying, but it hasn't been for me at all. I love the scent, and it does a really good job of getting off eye makeup. My favorite cleanser! I wish they'd come out with a lotion that has this scent. Here's a trick if you haven't had good luck with this: rub some into your eye makeup *before* putting water on your face. It breaks down the mascara, liner, and shadow, and when you wash, it dissolves away! Sometimes with WP stuff I need to also use jojoba oil, but Purity is still a standby.

on 1/12/2009 8:28:00 PM

Yuck! Unfortunately, I can't get past the smell of this. Not pleasant! It's rather runny and I don't feel clean after I use this at all. After several days, it made me breakout in deep cyst-type pimples. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

on 1/12/2009 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

One of my all time favorite cleansers! I'm not a fan of the lavender scent, but I love that it can take off my SPF moisturizer (crap, YOU try taking off Shiseido tinted moisturizer without some oil involved) and waterproof mascara (with the help of a cotton swab) without vigorous scrubbing. The trick is to NOT wet your face previous to application. Just squeeze some out in your hand, mix in a bit of warm water, work your hands together to get that great lather, and then apply directly to your face. I have to admit, I have )on occasion) double or triple washed my face with this cleanser to ensure I've gotten every last drop of makeup off my face, but that's because I don't like to use toners. The packaging of this product is very secure (flip cap), but it's ridiculous to have the same concept for a 24 oz bottle since that is a bitch to turn over and pour out (it should come with a pump).

on 1/12/2009 12:32:00 PM

I have combo skin and my nose tends to get very oily and I was worried that it wouldnt hold up in humid weather but wow! it has surprised me... well enough for me to want to buy it again when it runs out. it cleanses without making the skin feel tight as well as act as an astringent hence I need no toner. the price fits what you get- I've used this day and night and its still halfway through 6 months later. Love it!

on 1/11/2009 9:36:00 PM

I enjoyed the clean non-stripped feeling this product provided. It did melt off the MU with the exception of the waterproof mascara that I enjoy and I sort of expected that. But since I have been using this and a few other products from this line I have noticed no new breakouts, faster healing, and "calmer" skin - did not even have those "monthly" bumps - how very nice. I will continue with this line - much less expensive than Lancome and much better results.