August 27, 2014 | 947 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2008 11:47:00 AM More reviews by imbettingonalice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This looked nice and natural on me, but it did not really control my oil any better than normal powder. I use Wet N Wild's pressed powder now and it works way better.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2008 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Goldie_Loks

Love the Dream Matte Mousse, but the pressed powder is just "ok". The very first time I tried to use it to blot some oil, it caked up and looked thick & blotchy. The Maybelline Shine Free powder gives a beautiful finish, and you can't even see it on your skin, even after repeated applications, but this stuff gets splotchy! It does work well as an initial setting over the Mousse foundation, and it does help me to stay matte longer, but I hate that I can't use it for touch-ups without being a cakey mess! Also, I HATE the stupid 2-part swivel compact! I'm hoping they will change to a traditional compact style. But do try the Dream Matte Mousse if you have combo or oily skin, it's the BEST!**UPDATE: I figured out this powder looks great when worn alone!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2008 5:25:00 PM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

I generally don't like pressed powders and typically use a cream to powder foundation and nothing else. That hasn't been possible lately (discontinued my HG foundation). I was surprised I actually quite like this powder it's very soft, doesn't look chalky but still controls my oil and keeps me looking matte for a while (longer than most products) and the colour looks perfect on me (I was the lightest shade). At first I really thought the packaging was cute. Not so much anymore though, I don't like where the mirror is located it makes it difficult for me to use it while applying the powder and it gets all covered in powder left on the applicator. I would prefer the mirror be on the top of the product and the case open all the way with just the swivel base with applicator puff underneath. Ahh well, I guess you can't get everything you want. Anyway great product, controls oil, and NO BREAKOUTS will repurchase.
EDIT: I strayed from this powder thinking I could find something better, none of the powders I tried were any better than this, although I found that clarins matte powder (sorry can't remember the exact name) was very very similar except for the price. So i learned my lesson, I am sticking with maybelline.
Edit august 2010 - they have discontinued some of the colours. I am VERY pale, so pale that many companies do not make a foundation to match my skin. I tried this in the current lightest shade which is 4-5 Cream Light, I didn't not think it would work since I was 1-2 originally but it blends out very well, so I suggest you give it a try even if you think it might not work for you. Just make sure the store has a decent return policy. I am still sad that they discontinued my shade bit the difference between the 2 is really not that significant.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2008 11:40:00 AM More reviews by smell_the_roses

Liked the look of this powder but it broke me out! I don't usually break out with powders but everytime I wore this, I'd get a few small pimples scattered around. But if you can tolerate, it looked nice. I was using it after sunscreen to even my skin up and also for touchups. A little swipe took away any shine without being cakey.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2008 7:33:00 AM More reviews by bibiancheng

I think Maybelline did a good job even compares to the department store brands. I am one of their big fan after receiving so much compliments by using their products. Anyways, I was a supporter of their superstay silky foundation, however one day, I was asked to have lunch with my bf when I have no makeups on!!! With a 15 minutes break, I decided to pick something cheap from maybelline in the drugstore. Luckily I saw this on sale, so I picked the Medium 2-2.5, rushed to my car, and used it during red lights, By the time i met my bf, Boom! I was transformed to a gorgeous lady! Actually, one thing I really like about Maybelline is the application is always easy! You don't need moisturizer, makeup base, sunscreen, foundation brush, translucent powder and you can still look wonderful with a few strokes. It's always good for me, who is a makeup dummy. Update: I bought the cream thinking it's better to my skin color, it's a whole different story, it's extremly caky, I can see blots of powder on my face after applying it. I don't like it!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2008 3:47:00 PM More reviews by chocodcocoa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bought this yesterday on a whim... I'm NC25 /NC30 in winter and I bought this in beige.

Matches pretty well when I brush it on lightly, but I packed it on with a sponge just to see how quickly it will get powdery or cakey... and it only looked thick after the 5th thick layer so that is a plus =)

I'm not sure why people say it has mineral oil in this... on the compact it says that it's oil-free...? I will update if this breaks me out, but hopefully it won't since this controls shine WAY better than my mineral veil. The mineral veil is still good for setting my makeup though.

So far I do like this... feels light and offers a tiny bit of coverage, does not look cakey unless you really pack it on.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2008 7:44:00 PM More reviews by annaharris_227

This is a good powder, and I rarely ever like stuff from Maybelline! I'm an NC30, so I picked out the Sand shade. It looks scary light in the pan at times, but it blends in nicely and keeps the oilies away for a reasonable amount of time (4 hours for me). Yes, there is some slight shimmer, but it's not over the top. The only reason I'm giving this a four has to do with the packaging. I love how the mirror and sponge part swivels out, but I put my own applicator sponge in there (instead of that thin one you get), and the container doesn't close all the way at times. Another thing: Be careful not to overapply, as this gets cakey very easily! It took me a while to get the hang of how much to put on my face!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2008 11:49:00 AM More reviews by miss_mimi612

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This powder made me breakout. Nothing major but very small bumps on my face. I also noticed that it has a tiny amount of shimmer in it which is not something I look for in an oil control powder. The packaging was a bit annoying and bulky but the color selection was nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2008 11:42:00 PM More reviews by missnattii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Okay...I have to give this powder a perfect score. This is only the third powder I have ever used in my life, however. After using a moisturizer, my face tends to be shiny, so I decided to buy a powder to use along with it. The first powder that I bought was the Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free Pressed Powder. Man...what a freakin waste of money. ((Read my review for it if you're planning on buying it!!)) It went straight to the garbage. Anyways, I went powder hunting again. I considered CoverGirl's Clean Fragrance-Free Pressed Powder. It didn't match my skintone whatsoever and it didn't control shine. Then one day, I stumbled upon the Maybelline Dream Matte Pressed Powder reviews and decided to give it a shot. At the store, it was sorta difficult choosing the shade. I am a total beginner at this skin-tone-matching stuff. I went with the color, Ivory, Light 2-3. I was hesitant about choosing that shade however, because I thought it would look much too light. It was a perfect match when I put it on! It looks shimmery in the little flippy case, but it turns out very matte on your face. I couldn't stop touching my forhead after I put it on. (I only put powder on my t-zone for shine control). My skin felt soooo smooth! The little suede puff feels nice on your face as well. The case took me a while to open...since I'm a blonde at heart. =] Once you get the hang of how to open it, it's a breeze to work. There is only one problem with it however. Many people complain that this powder causes them to break out. But it's non-comedogenic and doesn't clog pores as well. It's also oil-free. How can it cause break outs? My face is acne-prone and sensitive, yet I my skin doesn't get breakouts or irritation from this! Lucky me. =] If it does cause you acne...try wearing a blemish-healing concealer underneath. I use Almay Clear Complexion Concealer so that the acne doesn't flare up under the make-up. The powder really does work well if you use it properly!! So overall, this is my HG Pressed Powder. Without it, my face feels naked. I will most definitely buy thing powder again. For only $8, this is a bargain. Probably one of Maybelline's best products. I highly recommend this powder!! So go out and buy it!! =]

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2008 11:14:00 PM More reviews by mhm_megan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i bought this product about two months ago, and i haven't had any problems with it at all. sometimes, yeah i did get somewhat shiny, but it wasn't bad at all. it covered nicely and was really light on my face. i really liked the packaging. i'll probably keep the mirror part. i would recommend this.