April 18, 2014 | 1839 users online

Powders - Smashbox - Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2010 2:04:00 AM More reviews by amazin90

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like the idea of this powder, and I love the grinder. That's it for the good stuff. The undertone of this powder is wrong. I have the complexion perfection kit in dark and this powder was included in dark. I am NC45 in MAC right now and this powder makes me look ashy. It is described as having a neutral undertone and I have very warm skin, so this just doesn't work for me. No one wants the dreaded ashy face!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2010 10:39:00 AM More reviews by redweddy

I like it but I am not sure I will re-purchase. Makes my skin look nice and matte, like any finishing powder does. I love the no-mess convenient packaging making it ideal for my purse. I've seen it compared with Bare Minerals...well, Halo is definitely not a foundation. It is just a powder. I say this because I applied it side by side with my HG BE Golden Medium (original formula) and my BE foundation still came out the winner :-). Halo does nothing for my pores (which BE nicely minimizes) and it provides no coverage for the redness around my nose. In the end of it all, it's a nice powder but it is no miracle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2010 12:24:00 PM More reviews by mellypmakeup

I just started using this product product 3 days ago. I really like how it lays on my skin, it's very soft, light and looks so natural. It's a loose powder but doesn't give that drying effect at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2010 5:23:00 PM More reviews by juliastl27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am super in love with this powder. I am a pretty loyal Make Up For Ever fan but I just can't find a HG status powder in that line. I'm not sure if this is it yet, but it has definite potential. I'm a little confused by a lot of the reviews. This was never presented to me as a powder foundation, but instead as a finishing/setting powder. I have dry skin and it really is hydrating and I don't look flaky. The packaging is fantastic. I love the little sifter/grinder thing. It wastes far less product and minimizes mess. I've seen a few people complain about the brush it comes with, and okay, it is a bit of a throwaway, but it's only advertised as a "travel brush", which probably isn't meant to be used every day. I use it with my sephora brand pink kabuki and it goes on just fine. Long lasting, and blurs imperfections without looking too matte. As far as the price tag, you have to remember that this is sort of a pressed powder and loose powder in one. The powder comes loose out of the sifter but actually has a lot packed in. Most powders range from 0.15 oz to 0.40 oz, this one is 0.75 oz. In the end, it's worth the price. I am a BIG fan!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 7:54:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this off the Cdn. Shopping Channel in a kit with a lot of other stuff for a very good price. Otherwise, I'd be ticked because sold on its own in regular stores, this product is not cheap and it simply doesn't deliver on its promises at all, IMO. I don't find it does anything to soften or diminish the look of my undereye lines (I don't have many but they are there) - if anything, it seems to make them look worse. The powder doesn't have much coverage for the rest of my face (I'm lucky - I don't need much but I do have some broken capillaries that I'm very conscious of and my PUR Minerals powder covers them perfectly). The packaging is ingenious and I like it very much...the "shaver" that shaves off a small amount of product is very clever and convenient. But at this price point, I expect better results. Oh, and there is no sunscreen (another point in favour of PUR Minerals!).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2010 3:58:00 AM More reviews by rebcat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have rated this 4 lippies as I used to like it very much. I am not sure what has happened but it has stopped working for me. Now it seems I have to apply too much to get the coverage I need and it ends up looking cakey and making my face feel very dry. It also goes orangey as the day goes on. My changing skin is not smashbox's fault, but just be aware if you need to up the coverage, Halo is not really your gal.

On another note, I was also rather disappointed that both Halo containers I have purchased have broken - spontaneously, without force! After a month or so of use, the lid opener got stuck in and the lid won't close.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2010 9:54:00 AM More reviews by sandia1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product is total perfection! It makes my skin look flawless without a powdery, cakey look. The finish is fabulous, it's hydrating to my dry skin, and the coverage is nicely buildable. Packaging is incredible, as you do not have loose minerals waiting for a spill! I can't say enough good things about Smashbox Halo. The ONLY downside, I think, is lack of shades, though Fair works very well for me unless I'm faux-tanned, in which case, the Light works well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2010 10:00:00 AM More reviews by Simplicity310

I am MAC's NC43 for reference in use this in Medium. I have received a lot of compliments on my skin since using this powder along with Smashbox's tinted moisturizer. Even my doctor touched my face and complimented how milky smooth it looked and feels. This wears all day without a greasy look -- even at the end of the day. I've been using it for about a month now and so far, no breakouts. I use this with MAC's concealer on my darker spots + Smashbox Halo TM = flawless face that looks natural. :D

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2010 7:04:00 PM More reviews by FoxyMakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this product! My skin is in fairly good nick (bar signs of the encroaching years - fine lines and open pores). Therefore I only need a light to medium coverage, and this does both, being very buildable. I actually got the Halo Color Boosting Powder first, and was so impressed by the 'luminous' finish it gives that I had to try the foundation. Coverage is very quick, very even and long lasting. My skin looks smooth and even toned. I've got this in Fair and Light (winter and summer). They are easy to mix for inbetween shades - I put my brush into some grated fair, and pop it into the light grater and swirl my brush around to blend. It's so fast and goof proof to apply that the extra time spent mixing colours still doesn't add up to what I used to spend fiddling with liquids and creams. The Smashbox #29 brush is perfect for application, which I do in a light buffing motion. Only negatives are it's a bit expensive, but then you get loads; which is maybe why I marked the packaging down for being so big and clumsy lol!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2010 11:30:00 PM More reviews by Quilley

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm not exactly sure why this category came up as "foundation". The product I'm reviewing is Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Poweder in Light. Anyway, this is from the website first. I'm printing this as part of the review because this is a unique product in many ways and the description is worth sharing:

I do agree that this powder is different, but I really don't need a poweder to do anything accept keep my foundation and m/u application in place.

A powder that reduces fine lines & wrinkles in 10 minutes? It's not magic, it's new HALO HYDRATING PERFECTING POWDER. HALO is the first anti-aging powder with the science of skin care built in. It's advanced formulation of pure gold, 48 minerals, 11 amino acids and a powerful peptide deliver powerful anti-aging benefits while the patented hydration system continuously revitalizes skin for a brighter, more radiant complexion all day.

Okay, this I will agree with! The shaver is genious for sure. I feel like each time I use this (daily right now) that I'm getting a nice, fresh dose of powder that I can actually control and keep the compact nice and clean in the process. THIS makes me happy. It just seems hygenic and neat.

HALO’s innovative built in shaver gives you the perfect amount of luminous loose powder every time with no mess. Finally, a powder that multi-tasks as much as you do.

Other info that (IMO) I have no way of tracking, as I already use an anti-wrinkle product as part of my skin care regimen....

Clinical studies show:
-After 10 minutes there is a 33% decrease in the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes.
-After 6 weeks of use, there is a 67% decrease in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles overall.
-Includes a custom KABUKI BRUSH for flawless application. Oil-free, Talc-free, and Paraben-free. Winner of the HBA Award for Best Prestige Packaging. .75 oz size - compare to the leading mineral makeup brands and save.

At $60.00 is SHOULD do all of this. I was very fortunate to be gifted with this product and am happy to have it as my budget would not allow for such an expensive powder. I'm looking forward to using this come winter when my skin is drier and can use the add'l benefits that the website claims.