Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.6

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

I used to use this product, but the price sent me to try BE. I wore BE original powder instead for months until I started to get acne. I hadn't really broken out in a couple years so I was distraught. After some research an ingredient bismuth oxide is the culprit. If you have a similar problem this product can be great for you since it does not have bismuth oxide as most powders do. People always ask what kind of makeup I wear, so it must be good!

on 12/24/2010 3:35:00 AM

The packaging for this product is awesome, I love the twist feature that cuts just the right amount of powder for use. Not on the fault of Smashbox, but I probably chose too dark of a color for my skin tone, even with the help of a makeup advisor. I dont really see it living up to its claims of improving skin texture, and I really wasnt thrilled with the way it applied unevenly making my complexion appear blotchy. Perhaps if this wasnt so expensive and I would be sure i would get a perfect match to my skin tone I would try this again, but at almost $50 it is way too risky to try again.

on 12/22/2010 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

To me, the performance of Halo is very average, hence the rating....it's not the worst but it's not the best either. And for the price as one of the most expensive powders out there, I expected more...a lot more.

It is actually very similar to BE original - perhaps a tad less 'glowy', but BE coverage is way better. And given that Halo is twice the price of BE (in Canada), I don't see the value / $.

The packaging that eveyone loves it's actually very cumbersome to carry around and the whole 'shaving off fresh powder' is kinda sily - when you use pressed powder you are using 'fresh' powder each time you run your brush over as much as with this Halo packaging, so I don't get what the big deal is - it is fun to play around with it though.

Either way, over $70 (CAD) for Halo ... not worth it... get BE if that's the coverage / look you're after.

As for the extra skin-care benefits that Halo claims... I'm not sure - it will probably take several months to see any effects (and numerous re-purchases of Halo). I will keep using the one I have (Fair), but will not buy again. Sorry Smashbox (love your lip glosses!).

on 12/19/2010 1:12:00 PM

halo hydration powder is easy to apply. if your in a hurry and you dont have time to even slap on moisturizer, the powder hydrates within 15 minutes and gives a fresh, moisturized, even toned look. plus with all the added vitamins/minerals- over time your skin improves in texture.
I hope this never discontinues.
But i do wish they would drop the price. Then id give it 5 star. but i cant live w/out it. i hope it stays around 4eva.

on 11/29/2010 6:48:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this product. I use it more for the lovely matte, even texture it gives my skin than for coverage. My skin is tempermental and can be dry in places and most powders - even mineral foundations like BE - show up all the flakiness and make me wish I'd not put anything on when I look in the mirror half way through the day. I hate that patchy look like nothing else! Anyways, none of that with this powder. I use it over the Smashbox HD foundation currently and they work wonderfully together to give a really flawless look with wonderful texture. I use the halo on its own when I can't be bothered with anything else and it does look great then too. I'll definately repurchase if I can find it anywhere cheap enough cause even thought I love it, there's no way I'm paying full retail price. I think it would work well on all skin types; I'm combination and it works great on both the oily and dry parts of my face. Would really recommend this if you're looking for lightish coverage and a flawless finish with no settling into pores or dry areas.

on 11/29/2010 6:31:00 AM

Out of all the face powders I use this is probably the best. I currently use L'oreal's "True Match," MAC's "Studio FX," Sephora's, and Bare Escentuals. I've never been one to commit to something unless I feel it is the best product, thus, all the different powders. So for now I've been very satisfied with this and usually use it for special occasions or when my skin is acting up. Since it is rather expensive (supposedly there's real gold in it) I don't use it as much as the others. The container is great because you can shave off the powder that you need without contaminating the rest. I have the other powders that I use every day but this is exceptional since it seems to blend onto the skin without caking and does well with concealers etc. It is not for full coverage like some other liquid foundations but more for light coverage. I don't like to look like I have makeup on and to me this does the trick by making your face glow. I am not exactly sure how this powder does it since it is Just Powder but it does make my face look better?! Other Pros: no oil, no parabens, no talc.

on 11/20/2010 2:46:00 AM

Love this product. I use it to set my make-up after applying foundation, or on its own with concealer. I finish it with a light spritz of water or refreshing spray and it lasts all day or night.

on 11/19/2010 5:37:00 PM

I am on my second Smashbox Halo. I had been using BE but it started to look to cakey on my combination skin.
I am very fair and wear the light in Halo. The color is not as yellow as the lightest shade in BE. The Halo matches my skin tone better. The price point is sort of high but it is worth it. Mine lasted for a really long time. I love how you just turn and cut off what you need. I switch back and forth with my BE whenever I want a more matte finish with heavier coverage. I still like the Halo the best. Girls actually ask me what I'm wearing on my skin because they think it looks so good.

on 11/12/2010 3:28:00 PM

I really like this product. I use the lightest shade and it is a PERFECT match. I am quite fair (ok, very fair!) and finding make-up light enough is quite an adventure. In this powder, though, I have found a natural coverage that is virtually unnoticeable. It also is indeed very hydrating. Unlike other powders, this never looks flaky on my dry skin. I use topical acne creams every day so I can't afford to have make-up that dries me out even more. My only complaint is that this powder definitely isn't a heavy coverage, probably not even medium. It covers quite well as long as I am not breaking out. So if you tend to have acne you might want to use this on top of concealer or foundation. It makes a great finish. Unfortunately, the powder is already $70 (CAD) so adding on more products makes it quite an expensive investment. You'll have to decide if it's worth it. :) Overall, I like it. It's easy to apply and doesn't break me out. But I am still hoping there is something better and cheaper out there....

Edit (12/30/2010): Just wanted to add, I have now been using this product almost daily for 4 months and it is still going. It seems to be long lasting so that might help others justify the price.

on 11/10/2010 1:34:00 PM

I have tried this powder multiple times at Ulta and sephora in light (the only yellow based color available). This powder is silky applies beautifully and leaves my skin looking "fresh". I like the twist dial mechanism, which protects the remaining powder from oxidation, oil and other environmental elements. All of the anti-aging benefits that are added are a nice touch but I'm unsure how much benefit they have on top of foundation, primer and moisturizer.

I would not purchase this product because the light color, though yellow based is too light for my C40/NC42 indian skin. I have to apply it VERY sheerly otherwise I end up looking chalky. It's a little bit deceiving as it looks ok in the light in the store but when I go home and check it out it always looks slightly ashy. The other colors are darker but pink based and look wrong on my skin. It's shame, I really liked the general feel of the product. I still ranked it relatively high because I think its a quality product, but at $59 I can't justify purchasing this. I'm hoping that smashbox adds more yellow based colors. I mainly wrote this review to help other people who have my skin tone who may not be able to get to a tester.

Top Rated Smashbox Products