August 1, 2014 | 1854 users online

Powders - Smashbox - Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2010 5:37:00 PM More reviews by dangerkitty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I am on my second Smashbox Halo. I had been using BE but it started to look to cakey on my combination skin.
I am very fair and wear the light in Halo. The color is not as yellow as the lightest shade in BE. The Halo matches my skin tone better. The price point is sort of high but it is worth it. Mine lasted for a really long time. I love how you just turn and cut off what you need. I switch back and forth with my BE whenever I want a more matte finish with heavier coverage. I still like the Halo the best. Girls actually ask me what I'm wearing on my skin because they think it looks so good.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2010 3:28:00 PM More reviews by spitfirejo

I really like this product. I use the lightest shade and it is a PERFECT match. I am quite fair (ok, very fair!) and finding make-up light enough is quite an adventure. In this powder, though, I have found a natural coverage that is virtually unnoticeable. It also is indeed very hydrating. Unlike other powders, this never looks flaky on my dry skin. I use topical acne creams every day so I can't afford to have make-up that dries me out even more. My only complaint is that this powder definitely isn't a heavy coverage, probably not even medium. It covers quite well as long as I am not breaking out. So if you tend to have acne you might want to use this on top of concealer or foundation. It makes a great finish. Unfortunately, the powder is already $70 (CAD) so adding on more products makes it quite an expensive investment. You'll have to decide if it's worth it. :) Overall, I like it. It's easy to apply and doesn't break me out. But I am still hoping there is something better and cheaper out there....

Edit (12/30/2010): Just wanted to add, I have now been using this product almost daily for 4 months and it is still going. It seems to be long lasting so that might help others justify the price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2010 1:34:00 PM More reviews by lipcrazy

I have tried this powder multiple times at Ulta and sephora in light (the only yellow based color available). This powder is silky applies beautifully and leaves my skin looking "fresh". I like the twist dial mechanism, which protects the remaining powder from oxidation, oil and other environmental elements. All of the anti-aging benefits that are added are a nice touch but I'm unsure how much benefit they have on top of foundation, primer and moisturizer.

I would not purchase this product because the light color, though yellow based is too light for my C40/NC42 indian skin. I have to apply it VERY sheerly otherwise I end up looking chalky. It's a little bit deceiving as it looks ok in the light in the store but when I go home and check it out it always looks slightly ashy. The other colors are darker but pink based and look wrong on my skin. It's shame, I really liked the general feel of the product. I still ranked it relatively high because I think its a quality product, but at $59 I can't justify purchasing this. I'm hoping that smashbox adds more yellow based colors. I mainly wrote this review to help other people who have my skin tone who may not be able to get to a tester.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2010 2:22:00 PM More reviews by tammallama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have the Light and am NC40 for reference. I use it as a powder over my foundation, I really like it! I have MAC MSF Natural too and prefer this. The outcome is very similar. It really adds a nice natural dewy look which I prefer over a powdered matte finish. I find the MSF Natural breaks me out and this doesn't. Very expensive but will last a very long time!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2010 8:44:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Firstly, this is in the wrong category. This is not a foundation but a setting powder. Why it ended up under foundation I don't know. Needless to say. I love this powder. Typically I do not like powders at all because they tend to make my pores look bigger and my fine lines more pronounced, I even hate mineral makeup because I think it ages me.

Why do I like this? Because it's the First powder I have used that does not dry me out, look cakey or fake. I don't even look like I have powder on. It keeps the oil at bay in my T-zone and sets my foundation perfectly. I love the packaging, the little shaver idea is pretty cool, less messy than just loose powder. The powder gives me a slightly glowy appearance without being sparkly. I hated mineral makeup because I always felt like I had glitter on my face. I'm sorry, that's not attractive for a chick in her late 30's.

I normally do not like smashbox other than their lipglosses. Don't even like their much touted primers, just never did anything for me. But this one is a winner for me. Blends beautifully. Doens't accentuate my fine lines and makes my foundation last all day without being cakey. Love it!! The only reason I mark it a 4 is because it's damn expensive for a powder. Fortunately, I think it will last a long time because you need so little.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2010 12:31:00 AM More reviews by hautiehippie420

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Purchased in Light. Such a lovely blendable and buildable powder that covers really well and the best part - totally cleared up my skin! The only downside was that the color is not "matte." It isn't sparkly or shimmery, it just gives off very cool "highlight" tones. I have yellow in my skin and this doesn't match so the foundation looks visible and obvious, it just makes me look ashy.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2010 11:37:00 AM More reviews by anner57

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've had the same container of Halo for about 18 months because I don't use it every day. At first I liked it a lot, but either the product or my skin hasn't aged well. The last few times I've applied it, the powder looks chalky even though the color is a good match for my skintone, and it settles into my pores more than other powders.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2010 5:30:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I love the packaging of this container. It has a mini shaver on the top where you turn it and it has freshly shaved powder ready for you to use.
The price was exey at 82AUD. Ouch!!!
It went on nicely however it made my skin quite oily within half an hour of applying. It had a nice matte finish to it but I don't like reapplying powder as it looks cakey quite easily.
I don't have dry skin, I would say it's more combination and acne prone so I don't think this was the right one for me to get in the first place. I gave it to my mum but it may be a tad too dark for her.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2010 2:04:00 AM More reviews by amazin90

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like the idea of this powder, and I love the grinder. That's it for the good stuff. The undertone of this powder is wrong. I have the complexion perfection kit in dark and this powder was included in dark. I am NC45 in MAC right now and this powder makes me look ashy. It is described as having a neutral undertone and I have very warm skin, so this just doesn't work for me. No one wants the dreaded ashy face!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2010 10:39:00 AM More reviews by redweddy

I like it but I am not sure I will re-purchase. Makes my skin look nice and matte, like any finishing powder does. I love the no-mess convenient packaging making it ideal for my purse. I've seen it compared with Bare Minerals...well, Halo is definitely not a foundation. It is just a powder. I say this because I applied it side by side with my HG BE Golden Medium (original formula) and my BE foundation still came out the winner :-). Halo does nothing for my pores (which BE nicely minimizes) and it provides no coverage for the redness around my nose. In the end of it all, it's a nice powder but it is no miracle.