October 26, 2014 | 861 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by StellaXYH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I sort of love and hate this product. If I consider it as a nude eyeshadow or eyeshadow base, it does a good job. While applied alone, it makes a lovely nude eye. While applied as a base, it makes the eyeshadow significantly more vibrant even with some relatively low quality ones.

But as a primer, it just doesn't fit my oily lids. It creases even sooner than when I wear eyeshadows without it. To avoid this problem, I put a little UDPP then Paint Pot and the colour stayed all day long without creasing. I also suggest applying it with a brush as the texture is quite thick and might get dirty while applying with fingers.

I personnally would repurchase it as it does make eyeshadows much more vibrant and I found my solutions regarding its problems. I'd recommend it as a base to normal skin type who prefer vivid eyeshadow colour. For those who have oily lids, you may need a proper eye primer under it. And if you're looking for a product just to prevent creasing and you don't apply vivid eyeshadow colour, I suggest you don't waste your money on it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 2:04:00 PM More reviews by Annelien1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've used this paint pot as a base for my eyeshadows for YEARS. This is also the only base I ever use. It lasts forever. It's almost my skintone, it makes the eyeshadows lasts longer and makes them more vibrant. Great base.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by GiselaMiller

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this after reading all the good reviews about it. Glad I did! I use this every day. It evens out the skin tone on my eyes beautifully. You can't really see it b/c it's such a neutral color, but it makes a huge difference. It also works as a primer before applying eye shadow. As all MAC products, I believe the price is decent considering that their products last such a long time. Highly recommend this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my go to paint point when I'm looking for a matte, nude base. I can use paint points without a seperate primer underneath and they last great. This can also be used as a wash of color to even out the darkness on my eye lids. Love!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE Painterly. I went to the Mac counter to buy Ochre paint pot, but the sales girl recommended Painterly. I love it because it's quick and easy to apply with my finger (preferred) or a brush. I like to wear it alone with liner and that's it -- my favorite go-to nude eye. It also does hold shadows when you layer them on top. Nice eye primer.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by surfinjan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I fell into the hype on this one and purchased it without even trying it first.

Let me say, there are those that love this product, but I am not among them. The color is great and I can wear it as an eyeshadow as well as a base against my NC40/42 skin. However, I have slightly oily eyelids and the product does crease on me. It loses its staying power on me after just an hour. I should mention that I couldn't wear eyeshadow for years because of this problem, but most modern day primers work very well on me as a base and primer. Painterly does not.

Color: Nude beige. Fairly universal. Appears as nude on lighter skin tones. Will appear as a soft fawn color on skin that is NC40 and above.

Texture: Painterly is not soft and silky. it has to be warmed to work on my lids. I always want to use a gentle touch on my lids but on colder days, this requires a more aggressive hand. I do HAVE to use my finger as a brush will not grab enough product. Once warm it will spread on the eye - but with less ease than liquid primers. It isn't exactly smooth either.

Finish/Appearance: Painterly does look very nice on the eye. It seems opaque on the eye and covers the fine blue vein on my lid.

Grabbing/Holding Power - colors do glide on more smoothly over Painterly. The shadows just don't last very long before they begin to crease on me, which is actually
LESS time than I would crease without a base.

Packaging: glass container. Somewhat heavy and fragile but sleek and modern.

Packaging:

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Fastnfuriouschick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used Painterly every day as a primer for my eyelids and it is amazing. My makeup stays on until I am ready to remove it at night. I was able to use every bit of the product from the jar, nothing was wasted. I highly recommend this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by 03Lauren

This product is a holy grail to me and I'm not easily impressed. Especially not when it comes to primers or any base products on my eyes because I have oily eyelids. Used primers from UDPP to the ELF one but really nothing beats the paint pot and will stay with this one for a long, long time.
- Packaging and application: it's obviously a pot so I prefer using a brush to avoid any extra bacteria from my fingers getting in to it. Honestly the easiest to apply with my fingers on my eyelids, so I actually only take it out with a brush on the back of my hand and then tapping it on my eyelids. I'd recommend cleaning your hands really good to avoid extra oil or anything thats on your fingers, because it will then stick to the product and on your eyelids, which isn't a good thing in any case but especially not with oily eyelids. Product is soft and feels smooth. Gets dry just how I like it, you can still work with it but doesn't run in any way.
- Color/conceal: flawless nude and matte base to work with, no shimmer, fantastic for fair complexion like me, it's basically your own color but better, it evens out your skin tone and covers up any discoloration. I use it from the lash line all the way up to my brow. Also use it underneath my bottom lash line as close as I can for my eyeshadow there and connect it at the sides. So firstly it works almost as a concealer in a way, although I don't use it as such underneath my eyes, I use it like it is a concealer underneath my brows to define and I have some red tones on my eyelids I'm covering up at the same time.
- Primer: best thing I ever used. My eyeshadow doesn't move all day all night. No creasing, nothing. This is really the main thing why I got this product and it does an excellent job. Let it dry a little though before putting on your eyeshadow. My eyeshadow colors seem to come out much prettier aswell with this underneath and eyeshadow goes on better.
Would recommend it to people with fair skin, if you have (slightly) oily eyelids and/or if you want a flawless base to work with. Works great aswell in a hurry, only time for mascara and maybe a black liner, just use this first and it already looks way better. Takes less time than putting on eyeshadow. Quick and easy. I would forever buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 2:58:00 PM More reviews by jaylee78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I LOVE this product!! I basically use it as a primer/base for my shadow as I used to have a lot of problems with creasing. This stuff not only evens out the color on my lid, but keeps my eyeshadow from creasing all day long.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2013 2:48:00 AM More reviews by Branjiebelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have fair skin (which this shade suits) and I am completely dependant on this every day. I used to use foundation or concealer to even out the skintone of my eyelids but these can crease, fade or provide the wrong colour for this area. The application of Painterly isn't completely idiot proof. You do need to apply it thinly and quite quickly or you can end up with cakey eyelids. If you apply it quickly and in a nice thin layer (with your fingertips), you will be left with a good level of coverage that will not crease or cake, and it will last all day. I often apply a skin tone shadow on top which gives further coverage and helps with blending any extra shadows I apply. For this I use the NYX shadow called Lap Dance which is a perfect match with Painterly. I also apply Urban Decay's Primer potion, not because I need it for staying power, but this makes the fine lines on my eyelids less obvious. I have used Painterly daily for about 10 weeks and have barely made dent in the pot. It's actually amazing value for money.