MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is a summer lifesaver. My face is not usually oily but I find this summer I have been getting super shiny, especially my nose. I find this really embarassing. I have to say that this product really works. It doesnt FULLY control the nose shine, but it definitely lessens it. The rest of my face usually remains shine-free, however.

I wanted to try this out in various conditions to give an accurate review. I was out yesterday in 37C/99F degree weather and 12 hours later my face was shiny in certain areas, but a lot less than it would have been in about 3-4 hours without the primer. To give you an example, I travel a lot between cities, so I was on a city bus, then an intercity bus, followed by a 1.5 km walk, then a streetcar, then a subway, then dinner, then another subway. I had this primer on, I did some spot coverage with a cream-based foundation, and dusted on some Cover Girl Clean pressed powder for normal skin. Usually just wearing a non-foundation pressed powder would accelerate my oil production!

The SPF 50 in this only makes it better. I also wore this on a similarly hot day to a waterpark with foundation+powder and my face lasted (I don't put my face under the water or anything though). The only thing I didn't find it work well with is my Revlon Colorstay Aqua.

I don't recommend this for dry skin or skin with a tendency towards being dry. It does dry your face up quite a bit. Also, it can make spreading foundation a bit difficult. That's definitely not a big deal for me, it's minor compared to what a positive difference it makes for me. I find it works excellently with the MAC Pro Longwear foundation, but that's too pricey of a combo for me. I only know they work well together because I got samples. Will continue to use throughout the summer only, and will definitely repurchase if necessary. I should add that I'm not a MAC fan at all and usually try to avoid purchasing that brand, so that just shows how much I actually love this!

on 7/14/2011 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This primer is great because it smooths out my skin and has great sun protection with zinc oxide. This is great around winter and fall season for oily skin but in the summer it doesn't do a good job as in the winter. I am on my second bottle of this and I've realized if you leave this product in the light then the product separates between white cream and liquid. When i bought the new bottle I always made sure it never sees the light and put it in the box it came in and i never experienced that problem again. If you are really oily or if you are using this in the hot humid summer time this is still a great moisturizer and a sunblock.

on 7/11/2011 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is the best primer I have ever used for my oily skin. Normally, in a couple of hours, my entire face is oily. But with this primer, which was recommended to me by a MAC MUA, my face stays il free for at least 6 hours. I mostly have to blot once a day which is a great improvement from 3-5 times a day. I also use this as a moisturizer when I'm not wearing makeup sometimes. Will never use anything else.

on 7/4/2011 1:56:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Let me start off by saying that every face sun screen/primer with spf I've ever used made me greasy and gross. I don't even have oily skin to begin with! My skin is literally translucent so I need some heavy spf in my life.

I bought this praying it would be a godsend, and it lived up to all my expectations. It is light and goes on smooth and dries absolutely clear. It helps my makeup last longer and it doesn't make my mascara smudge. Perfect for the summer months!

My only gripe is that it makes my under eye concealer crease really bad. But I just avoid applying it there, as my concealer already has an spf.
The price is pretty up there, but it works, so its worth every penny.

on 7/1/2011 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

After much deliberation & research on what to buy/use as a primer. I opted for this. £21 for 30ml. Yes it is pricey, but all primers are nowadays really.

When I think spf as high as 50 usually I think thick n gloopy texture and this is NOTHING like that. It is light, easy to blend and best of all, keeps my Mac mineralize cream foundation on for HOURS and HOURS even in the heat, even on a night out clubbing!!

anddd added bonus is u can 'back 2 mac' this once finished with it! :)

ONLY slight downside is that due to the hard-ish plastic casing, its hard to squeeze out the product when you're at the very end of the tube.

on 6/30/2011 1:59:00 PM

The high price is about the only drawback to this otherwise great product. It is summertime and I never leave the house with less than an spf 50 on my face. I tend to work out during the day, and just yesterday it was 90 degrees and I had an intense 50 minute workout that left me sweating like a pig. Come 5pm I realize I've never even had to touch up my face once during the day, not even to use oil blotting sheets. I have normal skin w/ a tendency toward a shiny Tzone, especially in the humid, hot weather. Not only does this offer sun protection, it really makes my poweder foundation stay flawless no matter what activities I do and it does not break me out. Actually, the bottle is only a 1oz, but it sems to last a pretty good while.

on 6/28/2011 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Just the mains: Love this product but way too expensive for the amount it comes with. I dont like the packaging because its hard to squeeze out since the bottle or w/e you want to call it is hard. But I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS product ! It helps my make up last all day truly. & SPF 50? who doesnt want that?

on 6/27/2011 10:29:00 AM

EDIT 9/9/12:
They changed the formula UGH!!!! It's so greasy now and has a sunscreen smell that others have mentioned. My face is oily within an hour, and the old formula kept it dry all day. New formula also makes me break out. So freaking pissed at this.

I'm one of the lucky people that this worked for and that NEVER happens!!! I put it on after my moisturizer in the morning and it literally does control the oil on my face throughout the day! I have combo skin and it doesn't get rid of all the oil, but it definitely cuts it back by a lot, so much that I don't have to blot. The cream itself feels heavy at first but once it dries, it's like it's not even there. This is the only SPF I've been able to wear that doesn't break me out, and I break out at the drop of a hat. I've also noticed that it makes my Sheer Glow wear longer and more even and it also stays more vibrant throughout the day. Even out in the Florida heat, this still controls my oil. I will buy this again and again!

on 6/22/2011 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

The primer is very creamy, it feels like a thick moisturiser and it's very easy to spread and apply. It doesn't dry to a completely matte finish though which is something I need. I find that it doesn't have the amazing oil control that a lot of people rave about but then again my skin is very oily.

The smell is disgusting, I have to hold my breath every time I use it.

The tube it comes in is a little hard to squeeze which is annoying but it looks nice.

It's very expensive for the amount of product. I think this would last a very long time though. I won't repurchase because I have found an ss with much better oil control for almost half the price!

on 6/22/2011 1:47:00 PM

As an employee for the company, I use this on almost all of my makeup appointments. It is meant to go ON TOP OF MOISTURIZER. It does not eliminate oil and it never claimed to. It simply helps control sebum throughout the day. Using your fingers does not help this issue either. People with oily skin should stick to using brushes and sponges.

Popular Primer/ Correctors