August 27, 2014 | 1852 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2010 8:45:00 AM More reviews by anniemouse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Am on my third tube of this, so it must be good, LOL!
It's pricey for the amount you get, but then so is any serious sunscreen. I like the fact that it has a tint to it - am pale enough that it's neither too white nor too tan for my skintone. It does leave my skin rather shiny though, and once it has sunk in, the tint effect has gone, so I still need foundation or powder over the top. I do have to wait until it's dried before adding anything else (I tend to put the Clinique on first, drive to work, then use compact powder once I've parked up).
Not enthralled by the smell, but it goes quickly enough.
I'd definitely recommend as a product with a high SPF and as a decent enough face base before makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 2:52:00 PM More reviews by jenanddan79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this- use it everyday, whether under m/u or alone. Tinted, not too heavy, evens out skin tone.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/18/2010 9:31:00 AM More reviews by red_smarties

totally agree with the post below, this product is oily, thick, sits ontop of the skin and feels so heavy! not comfortable at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2010 1:08:00 AM More reviews by kittyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was attracted to this because Paula Begoun gives it a good review. I was a bit wary because of the tint - I don't normally wear foundation. I was pleased that the tint all but disappeared on my skin and leaving only a slight smoothing effect across the face which was quite nice. But the trouble was that it FELT as if I had foundation on. The cream seems to just sit on top of the skin, not in an oliy way (or at least not for me - other people do find it oily), but just as a constant nagging presence. It caused a slight itch and my face felt clogged up. Finally by about 2pm I could forget about it, but I can't wait to get home so that I can wash it off. I guess it's just that I'm not accustomed to foundation, so if you are, this may be a good product for you. The previous reviewer makes a great point about not everyone needing moisturiser, just sun protection, which is what this product is all about.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2010 4:52:00 AM More reviews by Tricho

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is an excellent product. I watched a video on youtube by gossmakeupartist one evening when I was bored,
in the video he said about using sun protection and how vital it was, he also said you really DON'T need a
moisturiser like everyone says you do if you don't have dry skin. I thought this was an interesting theory
and the next day I went to boots to look for a sunscreen. I didn't want to fork out a lot but when I looked at
the lower end products they really weren't that much cheaper so I chose to buy City Block because that was what
I originally wanted.
When I bought my product for 15 I decided to look up on reviews, probably did it the wrong way around there,
I read about how it was tinted and had no idea about this when I bought it, I thought this was going to be a disaster
but I couldn't have been more wrong. This is my holy grail and I will never be without it. I used to go into the
loos at work and look at how awful my oil slick skin was and I bought endless moisturisers to try and stop it.
With this stuff, that doesn't happen anymore, the reason is because other than this I've entirely STOPPED using
moisturiser on my skin, for me it just wasn't working anymore. I no longer have shiny skin, I don't have red or
irritated skin, my breakouts have calmed down and even my dark circles have reduced a little, my skin looks a lot
better lets just put it that way - because i'm only putting on it what it needs (sun protection).

This product has a tint that means I don't need a foundation, the tint for my fair skin is PERFECT and provides
just enough coverage, I put concealer on over the top and a dab of powder, that's about it.
The packaging is smart and not too frilly without being unattractive, it tells you what it is on the tube and doesn't
take up loads of room. Essential travel companion!
I couldn't be more happy with this purchase, i'm upset I didn't know about it sooner and wish I could take back
all the money i've spent over the years on foundations and moisturisers which were just clogging up your skin.
It's true, all the cosmetic companies want to do is sell you things, with this i can even use it under my eyes.
The best beauty tool for your skin is water and its own natural ability to heal, I do believe that it is to an
extent stopped from doing this by all the man made crap you can buy in jars. Not everyone believes this, I didn't
for a long time, but I'm converted. less is more.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2010 2:00:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my skin type!

What it Claims:
"Sheer, broad-spectrum UVA/UVB daily sunscreen. Lightweight formula helps wick away perspiration and absorb excess oil. Perfect alone or as an invisible makeup primer. No chemical sunscreens. Appropriate for eye area and sensitive skins."

Claims - True or False?
1) Lightweight: False. One reason why I truly hate facial sunscreens is that they have ALL felt heavy on my face, or they have resulted in a grease pit on my face. This one felt slightly heavy. When worn without moisturizer, it did feel lighter. Would not dry on my face, although dried better when thinned with moisturizer, so it felt heavier as the day progressed.
2) Wick away perspiration: False. I don't really see how ANY cosmetic can do this though, unless it were to completely block the sweat glands.
3) Absorb excess oil: False. While I don't think it really worsened my oil production, if I were to get oily (especially when I'd get overheated), the oil would simply stay on my face.
4) Appropriate for eye area and sensitive skin: True. I've used it a few times under my eyes and never noticed any burning or stinging, and I've never noticed any irritation on my face.

Packaging:
Comes in a small squeeze tube bottle with a twist off cap. I would prefer a flip cap, or at least a wider cap, as it doesn't stand up very well (I am always afraid that it will fall over). Very simple packaging that comes in a small cardboard box. I do not personally see the need for the cardboard box, as it is a complete waste. The twist cap is probably better for travel, but I do not see anyone applying this every 2 hours.

Smell:
Definitely fragrance-free, but not void of smell. I wouldn't say it smells bad, but it isn't something that leaves me jumping for joy. Pretty much has a typical sunscreen + foundation smell to it. Doesn't linger for long though.

Consistency:
Although it says it is oil-free, this sunscreen definitely feels slightly oily and greasy, much like conventional sunscreens. Comes in one tint only, which I would say is a huge negative - many women will be unable to use this simply due to the colouring, as it does not go on colourless. I am quite fair, and while it wasn't painfully obvious, I found that it slightly changed the colour of my skin, or that it was the wrong undertone for my skin. I believe that they would have better sales if they added other shades, or created a colourless version. I would say that it is sheer, but it seemed to create some irritating friction against my skin if applied without being combined with moisturizer.

Ease of Use:
When used alone, it was slightly hard to apply evenly and without mild irritation. When used with moisturizer, it applied smoothly, evenly and the tint was more suitable to my skin tone. Because it is tinted though, it will leave your fingers stained, so in terms of applying it on the go, it would not be my first, or any, choice. The squeeze tube is decent as it doesn't seem to dispense too much product at once.

Bang for your Buck:
At about $20.00CAD or $17.50USD for 40ml (1.7oz), this is definitely pricey. The one tube itself will not be over-the-top expensive, but considering how often you will need to repurchase (that is if you are applying the proper amount of sunscreen in the first place), I can easily see this only lasting a few months. Overall, I believe that it is a slight rip-off for daily use.

Final Consensus:
When I first sampled this sunscreen, I did like it. However, after purchasing the same product and using it more often, I realized that it was not for me. It was too heavy, did not leave my skin matte and became greasier over the day. I could not wear this alone and had to top it off with powder, which made it feel even heavier. While it didn't leave a whitecast, it simply didn't work for me. I believe that it might also have caused some breakouts, but because I have not used it on a daily or consistent basis (not in school yet and jobless = staying at home and out of the sun), I cannot be sure. Overall, I simply wasn't impressed and will be returning.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my skin type!

What it Claims:

Final Consensus:

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by CopperPenny222

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this product for years. I think the tinting has gotten a little darker, but I love it anyway. I wear it everyday and it does irritate my skin the chemical sunscreens often do. I seriously don't know what i would do without it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 More reviews by jjaywilson

This is not for those with fair cool skin tones. The tint is too overwhelming for anyone with less than a medium skin tone, and it definitely for those with warm tones.

Other than the color, I did like the way this product felt. It moisturized, provided a nice bit of coverage from the sun, and didn't feel greasy in the slightest.

Edit:
I gave this product one more chance before returning it, and suddenly it didn't seem too yellow. I'm not sure what I was seeing before, but I really like this product now. It gets just a hint of coverage. I combine it with a tinted moisturizer when I want to look put together.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2010 8:33:00 PM More reviews by sonal79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well this sunscreen is good for acne prone people as it is oil-free, and it is not greasy. But I am about NC 40 and this gives me a whitish cast. For this reason, I wouldn't buy this again. It probably works for lighter skinned people though. It is good that this is a all physical sunscreen though.

Edit: I bought a new tube of this recently and somehow now it is not leaving a white cast now if I rub it in really properly. Also I notice it is not as light and yellow as it used to be, did they change the formulation. Hopefully it works well for me now, fingers crossed!