December 18, 2014 | 1526 users online

Foundations - Smashbox - High Definition Healthy FX Foundation

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2010 3:35:00 PM More reviews by rogsweetie03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am amazed at how bad this foundation is on me. I was talked into trying this foundation when I went to purchase a backup of my beloved Shu Face Architect foundation. In the store, it looked amazing---my skin appeared dewy and airbrushed---but when I tried it the next day, the foundation clung to every single dry patch on my skin and accentuated every flaw I have (even those not visible to the naked eye). The color, Light L1, was also far too dark and orange for my NC25 skin. I am bummed to have to return this because I really wanted to love it. The MUA who helped me was incredibly nice, but this product is awful on me---possibly the worst foundation I have ever tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2010 2:45:00 AM More reviews by babymichellee

i have to say i LOVE this foundation. this foundation is the best foundation that i have tried so far. i got it a long time ago and back then when i first used it i thought it was an okay foundation. the coverage is buildable. its more towards the sheer side but its great for my skin. i would say i have descent skin just a little bit of acne scaring. the shade i have this in is L3. it matches my skin perfect. it last all day for me without touching up. LITERALLY. it doesnt feel heavy at all, it feels like im not wearing any foundation so its very light. as for the packaging its great i love the pump and all, but when you reach the point where your running out it doesnt come out of the pump so yu have to open it and get it out. i had that problem with the smashbox primer too. thats the only downside. i am definitely going to repurchase this foundation soon because i am running out. or i might try makeup forever's. but i can definitely say this is my HG foundation ! give it a try

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2010 7:09:00 PM More reviews by lifeboat

I went to buy this after trying it on in a store under the green primer my skin looked good so i brought it. When i started using this i found that it had little/no coverage. though i was told coverage is build-able this did not work for me. i found that my face would look extremely oily after wearing this and that it does oxidise. so i wear this with a powder ontop and it looks somewhat reasonable. would not buy again

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2010 11:47:00 PM More reviews by lois34

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I mix this foundation with my Clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion, since I had fairly dry skin,over the green photo finish primer everyday. On top of the foundation which is now practically a tinted moisturizer (which i love) I buff in Mac's Mineralize Skin Finish Natural and it is the perfect everyday makeup. The price was a little high for me because I only use foundation without lotion on special occasions, but I am glad I invested in it because it has lasted a reasonable amount of time. The packaging is not my favorite because the cap on top of the pump split and now I can't keep the lid on but, I still really like the product and would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2010 2:52:00 PM More reviews by klyde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Update - I'm still loving this after using it for 3 months none-stop. I use this in L4 and got it from Sephora, but I've been going through it so fast I started getting it cheaper on ebay, and also got L3 and L2 for experimenting with on lighter areas. I like to use it over a primer now and sometimes I use Make Up Forever's High Def powder or more primer on top if it starts to look oily. If it separates, I just stir it, no big deal. The scent is a bit weird, but it doesn't bother me and I'm extremely sensitive to scents.

I am surprised by the bad reviews. But I like sheer coverage on my less-than-perfect skin (blotchy with acne scars that look like huge pores). Since I'm 48, less is more, but I've always had trouble with foundation looking uneven on my uneven skin. This foundation is loaded with silicone, so it glides on and blends easily - I can even wear it on my neck which is unheard of. I can hardly see it, but the ruddiness around my nose is gone and my skin tone is more even. I like that it has SPF 15. Silicone is the answer if you want smoother looking skin. It is inert and fills in pores; sits on top of skin because it cannot be absorbed. Silicone makes a great primer. I dropped my Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich (which I also like, but it's a thicker coverage). Maybe I'll pick it up again this winter.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2010 10:09:00 AM More reviews by careswell

I have lots of freckles and super dry skin right now due to Retin-A. I was using Maybelline Age Rewind (felt too oily) after giving up on Bare Minerals (too drying and sparkly). I've also used many other products such as MAC, estee lauder, Clinique, and other drugstore brands.

I bought the kit at Sephora that contains the photofinish primer, the concealer, foundation, and Halo powder. At first I thought it was going back, it went into the pores and I could see flakes of dry skin, but the color was good (color-light even though I usually use medium, they run dark) so I wanted to give it another try.

I exfoliated my face using my Clarisonic and put on a heavy moisturizer overnight and tried again this morning. I used more primer this time, and my fingers to apply. It looks really good this time around! No flakes of dry skin and I have a large red area that is concealed without looking cakey. I really do think you need all of the products in the kit to make it work, but for $49 for the whole kit, it isn't that bad, and it contains sunscreen. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing makeup, feels and looks good. I took off one lippie because the foundation alone is pricy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2010 8:01:00 PM More reviews by galai_curryqueen9830

This must be the worst foundation I've tried in my make up lifetime. Even though I only bought this 45 minutes ago, I feel that my hatred towards this foundation is so great that I must express myself on MUA.

Why do I hate this so much?
- Horrible coverage
- Ugly finish
- Expensive

Let me explain myself..
The foundation claimed that it was "HD", so I expected it to have at least a medium to full, BUILDABLE coverage.. It did not. One pump, was so sheer, that it did not cover anything! You couldn't even tell you had foundation on because my skin looked as bad as it was before I put foundation on! Seeing this, I used another pump, then a third and after my third pump, it was cakey and orange and just awful!

This foundation has very very very light coverage, so if you have perfect skin then go ahead try it.

The finish was not my taste. I am more into semi-matte finish and this one had a very satin finish. Perhaps it's just not my taste. However, seeing how satiny it was, I could already tell that if I wore this any longer I would be an oil face! ...Hence the staying power of this was poor. Most foundations dry to a powdery feel, this one did not. After this foundation dried, it still felt like I had a glob of moisturizer on my face.

The price of this is unbelievable for the quality of the product! It was $44, and after taxes, $49. Quite expensive isn't it for a piece of junk that covers nothing! I honestly think that my HG Drugstore foundation, Maybelline 24hr. Stay foundation is better than this Smashbox foundation. For the price of this, I'd rather get the NARS sheerglow/matte or the MUFE HD Foundation.

Packaging - the one thing I like about this foundation. The packaging resembles much of the MUFE HD Foundation. It is cylinder shaped, and has a pump. However, one pump gave too much foundation.

I am definitely going to return this foundation ASAP. I honestly thought this would be comparable to MUFE HD Foundation, but it really isn't. Horrible coverage, horrible price, horrible everything!
I really thought this foundation was going to delivery seeing that it was made by Smashbox...but apparently not!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by NigheanRuadh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I hate this foundation. It's horrible. Not buildable, and by noon, after just simply sitting at a desk, it looked like I had no make up on. I tried fixing spays to no avail. It's too sheer. I've seen tinted moisturizers that have better coverage than this. The one thing that I loved was the pump and that it raises as you use it, none of that build up on the sides like normal foundations making you want to break the bottle to get to the rest of it. But to say the bottle is the best thing about it is horrible. I will never purchase this again. I in fact didn't even finish the whole bottle, a rare thing for me, that's how much I hated it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2010 4:57:00 PM More reviews by egirl26

I think smashbox products are wonderful and sophisticated, and this foundation feels great. Its for dry skin or someone who wants a very dewy look or has mineral makeup to put on top. I personally could not find a shade so if you're below a nc35 all the colors are dark orange or red.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2010 7:50:00 PM More reviews by thundurkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ok, I've had this foundation for 6 months and i feel like it would be a crime if i didn't write a review about it. It is uh-mazing and currently my HG foundation! It goes on silky smooth and covers light to medium for me. I have clear skin with red cheeks(rosacea) and this foundation does a good job at blending that redness out. My only complaint and the reason I gave it 4 stars is I wish it lasted longer. I put it on before work and when I get home its pretty much gone :(
I am Fair F1 in this product.

For reference: